Rhythm and the Blue Line Ch. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
PennLady
PennLady
1,733 Followers

"I've seen Ryan perform," Brody said. "I think she and the rest of the band are great. They work hard and you can hear it when they play."

Ryan clenched her jaw as silence filled the room. Her parents stared intently at their coffee and it was all she could do not to storm out right then. Brody darted her a questioning glance, but she just shook her head.

As though someone had poked her, Judy popped out of her seat. "Oh, Ryan, I almost forgot—I have a box of things for you. We're cleaning out; you know how things pile up in the basement. I'll be right back."

They were quiet while she went into another room, then came back with a medium-sized cardboard box. "RYAN" was scribbled in black marker on one side.

Ryan opened the box and her expression darkened. She closed it without a word, all but biting her tongue off in an effort to keep calm.

"I think we'd better get going." Ryan flicked a glance at Brody. "I have to work tomorrow."

"Good idea. I have practice in the morning myself."

Ryan took the box and led the way to the door. They donned their coats and Brody turned to her parents.

"Thanks, Jim. It was a great dinner, Judy. I'm really glad I got to meet you both." He shook hands with each of them in turn.

"It was good to meet you, too, Brody." Judy gave him a bright smile. "We hope we get to see you again soon."

"Bye," said Ryan.

"Bye, honey." Judy gave Ryan a brief hug and a peck on the cheek. "I'll call in a few days. Remember there's your cousin's birthday party in a couple of weeks."

"Right."

They walked out to the car as Ryan's parents closed the door. Brody was surprised at that; his parents would stand on the front step and make sure anyone who was leaving got in their car and started the engine before they'd go back inside.

Ryan was quiet, and Brody struggled with what to say. Ryan's parents had not been at all what he expected, but he didn't think Ryan would want him to say that. They were her parents, after all; he knew if someone questioned his parents, he'd get defensive. He waited to see if Ryan would say anything, but she only stared out the window with her arms crossed in front of her.

"So, ah, your parents seem nice." That was a neutral enough comment, he thought.

Ryan gave a derisive snort. She stared out the window and her responses after that were laconic at best, and he wasn't sure what to do. Aside from the awkward silences, he thought it had gone all right. They hadn't thrown him out, that had to count for something, right?

They drove in silence for a while until Brody couldn't take it. "So, what's in the box?"

"Nothing."

"You looked a little upset about it, so I just wondered."

"It's nothing. It's not important." Her voice was sharp.

"Okay, okay." He drew in a breath and glanced at her. "Ryan, are you all right?"

"Yeah, fine." She wouldn't look at him.

"You sure?

"Yeah."

"Okay." Brody gave up and said no more as they drove back.

PennLady
PennLady
1,733 Followers