Rhythm and the Blue Line Ch. 12

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

With a groan, he sat up. He didn't care about any of that. He cared about Ryan, and it was killing him that they hadn't talked since before she'd left for the tour. How could they fix this if she wouldn't talk to him?

Of course, he thought guiltily, she probably wouldn't talk to him if he didn't make an attempt to talk to her. But when to call? If he called and she was busy, he'd have to leave a message, and that defeated the goal of talking to her.

"Well, this is stupid. It's not like I can't find out." He went to his computer and opened his browser, then navigated to Imaginary Grace's website.

Brody let out a low whistle. "Impressive. They should get Trout to design the team's site." He scrolled down and checked out the information. There were links to the tour schedule, their songs and short bios for Ryan and the others. He skimmed the blog, smiling at the entries as well as the give-and-take between the band and the fans.

Next he went to the media gallery and was astonished by both the amount and organization of the pictures and videos. He clicked through some photos and then watched a video.

There was Ryan, on stage and happy. Brody watched her play the guitar on one song, keyboard on another. As Evan had said, and as Brody had told Bax, she looked like she was doing what she was meant to do. He sat back and huffed out a breath; how could he have begrudged her this? Yes, it had thrown his summer plans off but wasn't he the type of guy to roll with it, as Steve Winwood had put it?

"Well, Lang, looks like it's time to make new plans." He went back to the tour schedule.

x-x-x-x

A week after Lara's talk, Ryan thought she was ready to talk to Brody. She pulled out her phone and stared at it as though she thought it would bite her. It was stupid, really, to be nervous about a phone, no matter how many apps it had. It wasn't like she was going to activate Skynet. She just wanted to call her boyfriend—if he still was her boyfriend.

It didn't matter, she decided. Boyfriend or not, she couldn't leave things as they were between them. Before she could think about it anymore, she tapped the screen and dialed his number.

"Hello."

"Hi, Brody." She cleared her throat. "It's me. Ryan."

"I know." His voice was teasing and she relaxed a little.

"I hope this is an okay time." Now that she'd contacted him, she was drawing blanks on what to say.

"It's fine. I was just thinking about you. How's everything going?"

"Oh, um, really well. We have a couple of days off before the next show so I'm trying to chill out. I'm not very good at that."

He laughed. "No, you're not."

She struggled for a minute and then the words burst out. "Brody, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have left the way I did. You were upset and I should have understood. I'm . . . I'm just really bad at this stuff."

"It's okay," he assured her. "It's not always my strong point, either."

"I know it'll be a while before I'm done with this tour, but I'd like to see you when I am."

"I'd like that, too."

"What have you been doing?"

"Not much. They cleared me for skating so I've been trying to work out and skate and see how it goes. So far, so good."

"I'm glad." A wave of relief had her falling back on the hotel room bed. "I was—well, I was really worried."

"Yeah, me too. Although I think my mom worried enough for both of us."

"How's your family?"

"Pretty good, I think. Rick is doing a little better, and they've all been pressing me to go visit. I will, just haven't figured out when."

"Tell everyone I said hi. I might see Bax and his family when we play in Boston in a couple of weeks. They said they'll come to the show." She laughed. "I think they may be the only people in the audience there to see us and not Stone Fortress."

"That'll change, don't worry."

Ryan relaxed some more as they talked. Brody asked about the tour, about the headliners and the travel, and she was glad to have someone outside the band to talk to again. By the time they were done, she felt better about everything, if not exactly optimistic.

"I have to go," she said. "Lara's going to come chasing me down for dinner soon if I don't. She's been watching me like a hawk. She even orders for me!"

"Poor you. Having people who care enough to make you eat."

"Yeah, it's a real hassle." She was glad they could joke about things again. "I do eat, you know. Voluntarily even."

"I know, but I know you—ah—forget sometimes, shall we say. Like that time you went something like a day on a Snickers bar?"

"That doesn't happen. Much. And the peanuts were protein."

Brody laughed. "Okay, I give up. But the next time I see you, dinner will be more than a candy bar."

"That'd be great."

They said their goodbyes and Ryan stayed on the bed, staring at the ceiling. That had gone much better than she'd hoped, but it all served to make her more anxious to see him in person. The remaining weeks on the tour stretched out in front of her and she felt like she'd never get home.

x-x-x-x

In the stadium before the Boston show, Brody looked around. The arena wasn't huge but it was a far cry from the 9:30 Club and other venues where he'd seen Imaginary Grace play. He wondered how long it would be before Ryan and the others were headlining a show at a place like this instead of opening.

He was there with Bax and his kids, who were so excited they could barely keep to their seats. Brody watched as they jumped up and took pictures on their phones and texted their friends.

Bax looked over at them and then back at Brody. "The show hasn't even started yet and look at them."

"Aw, come on. It's cool. How many concerts have you gone to where you knew the people up on stage?"

Bax thought. "My brother's wife's cousin was a roadie for somebody. We went to that show."

Brody laughed. "I don't think that counts."

"Yeah. I never liked that guy anyway."

"The cousin or the performer?"

"Both."

They were quiet for a few minutes then Bax nudged Brody. "Does Ryan know you're here?"

"No. I couldn't decide whether to tell her, then I talked to Lara, and she said it would be better for me to find Ryan after. I don't want to throw her off before her show."

"You guys get everything worked out?"

"We're working on it; I think we're making progress." They would if he had anything to say about it. He hadn't come to Boston to keep the status quo.

"About damn time." Bax scoffed. "I was getting tired of all that whining. I get enough of that from my own kids."

"Thanks, Dad," Brody said in a dry tone.

Brody settled back in his seat. The lights dimmed and he watched Ryan and the others come out on stage. Most of the crowd applauded politely, but Bax's kids were more enthusiastic. Tara whistled so loudly he thought they'd hear it in the next county and Adam let out a yell that belied the size of the boy's lungs.

Lara greeted the crowd, then Ryan turned to Mitch and he counted them in to the first song. Brody had almost forgotten how much fun they were and how good Ryan looked with her guitar. They'd improved, he thought; gotten more comfortable up on stage and they were more in sync with each other. And she looked just as sexy as ever.

The only problem with their set was that it was over too soon. The forty or so minutes felt like no time at all. He watched them leave the stage and couldn't wait until he could see her.

About fifteen minutes after the set ended, as they were waiting for the main act, his phone chirped.

"Jesus, you're as bad as the kids," Bax told him. "Can't you go anywhere without being connected?"

Before Brody could answer, Bax's phone beeped. The older man cleared his throat while Brody laughed.

"Shut up." Bax glowered at him.

Brody snickered as he checked his phone, and as he'd hoped, received a text from Lara. He hoped this worked; it had seemed like a good idea but now that it was here, he wasn't sure. Maybe Ryan wasn't up for surprises just now.

His phone chirped again and he read Lara's message. Don't say anything. She could use a surprise.

Are you a mind reader? he wrote back.

Yes.

x-x-x-x

Ryan covered a yawn as she walked into the hotel lobby. The show had gone well and she was beat. Tired enough, she had decided, to head back to her room while the others hung out somewhere. Her fatigue must have shown, since none of them had made more than a token effort to convince her to go with them.

She pondered that in the elevator. It was unlike Lara to leave her alone these days. Ever since the day Lara had forced Ryan into the restaurant, her friend had stuck close. It wasn't like they'd been joined at the hip, but Lara had made a big effort to keep Ryan's spirits up.

Ryan appreciated it, and it had worked. Talking to Lara, and then to Brody, had reduced a lot of stress for her. Ryan laughed to herself; maybe Lara just wanted a night off babysitting duty. And that was fine, since Ryan wanted some time to herself.

She got off the elevator and walked towards the room, wondering how long she'd have it to herself. She pulled out her room card key, looked up, and almost tripped as she jerked to a stop.

"Hey, rock star." Brody leaned against the wall.

Ryan swore she felt her synapses screech to a halt as questions tumbled through her brain. She shook her head. "What—what are you doing here?"

"I was in the neighborhood."

"In the neighborhood? In Boston?"

"Actually I was supposed to visit a friend in Springfield, but they gave me horrendous directions."

Ryan gave him a puzzled look. "Springfield is like ninety or a hundred miles from here."

"I meant Springfield, Virginia." He grinned. "I told you they were lousy directions."

She stared at him for a few minutes before giving in to the urge to laugh. "They must have been. But you still didn't tell me why you're here."

"I will. First, let's get your stuff. I've got a room upstairs. I wanted to be with you alone and I'm sure Lara will appreciate having the room to herself. You did say privacy was at a premium when you were on tour."

"It's better this time, but yeah, none of us get a whole lot of alone time." Ryan slid her key card through the reader and opened the door. Trying to make sense of things, she questioned him while she grabbed her toiletries and her rolling suitcase. "So when did you get here?"

"I came up yesterday and stayed with Bax and his family. I went with him and the kids to the show. Doreen says hi, and sorry she couldn't make it." They left the room and went to the elevator with Brody pulling her suitcase. Two floors up they exited and Brody led her to his room.

"You were at the show? Why didn't you tell me before? I mean, before you came?" Ryan stepped inside while he held the door for her.

"I wanted to surprise you. Basically, I missed you; this whole thing of not talking and not seeing each other was getting really old. I talked to Bax, talked to Lara and—voilà—here I am." He closed the door behind him.

"You came all the way up here to surprise me?"

"I was hoping you'd like the surprise. You know, a big romantic gesture and all that." He shrugged. "I haven't done that too often, so I may need to practice a few times to get it right."

A smile tugged at her lips. "I think you're doing pretty well so far."

"I could use a little encouragement."

Ryan laughed and hugged him, but her laughter died quickly and she held on tight. "You're doing great. I've missed you so much."

"I know. I've missed you, too." They were quiet for a moment as he stroked her hair.

Ryan could only think how good it was to feel him next to her again. The part of her that had been wound so tightly over things between them at last started to relax.

"How was the trip up here? Did you fly or drive?" she asked as she sat on the bed.

Brody made a face as he sat next to her. "I drove and I will never do it again. People around here drive like maniacs. Bax says the local term is 'Massholes.'"

Ryan laughed. "I've heard. We had more than a few close calls ourselves getting here."

"I thought D.C. drivers were bad, but man, it's downright scary around here."

"I'm sorry you had to risk death and dismemberment to come see me," Ryan said.

"I'd do it again, a thousand times over." He stood and made an exaggerated bow before he swept her into his arms for a kiss. Ryan returned it, reveling in the feel of his body against hers.

"Oh, man." Brody groaned as he reluctantly pulled away. "That is so nice, but we should talk."

"I thought that was the woman's line."

"It's my line because I screwed things up so bad before you left." He rested his forehead against hers. "I'm really sorry, Ryan. I was—am—happy for you, I was just surprised. I was upset, and I said all the wrong things. I'd blame it on the concussion but I was pretty over it by then."

She smiled. "I didn't exactly corner the market on the right things to say."

"Here's an idea: let's just say now that we're both really sorry, we both need to handle things better, and it's done and we're back together and all that. Then we can move on to practicing how we make up." He slid his hands down to her hips and pulled her closer to him.

She chuckled and he grinned. "I like the sound of that, but—" She glanced away and then back at him. "But what about later? These same issues are going to come up again, the traveling and everything."

"True, true. And like you said, we were just saying the same things. So I have two new things to say."

Ryan waited, but Brody seemed stuck, which in turn made her nervous. She tried to keep her voice light. "Are you going to tell me, or do I have to guess?"

"I'm not sure which order I should say this in."

"It doesn't matter."

"I love you." He huffed out a breath. "There, that's one."

Ryan let out a shaky laugh. "Was it so bad? Because I love you, too, you know."

"Whew. I was hoping I hadn't missed the window on that." They both laughed.

"What's the next thing?"

"I was thinking about your apartment search and all. What, ah, would you say to moving in with me?"

"Really?" Ryan was flustered. "I mean, it sounds great, but I don't want you to feel like you have to say that. I want to be with you, but you don't—"

"I know I don't." He kissed her again, softly. "I wouldn't say it if I didn't want it, or mean it. Just think about it—we'd be able to be together more. Or at least, we could take more advantage of the time we'd have, and that sounds like a good idea to me."

"Me, too." Ryan wrapped her arms around him. "A great idea."

"I want to be with you, Ryan. I know we both weren't looking for anything serious, but it got serious and I don't want that to change."

"Neither do I."

"And if that offer to meet with you while you tour still stands, I like it. We can set up secret, illicit rendezvous and meet in back alleys behind sleazy hotels." He wiggled his eyebrows. "We can use code words and everything."

Ryan put her head on his chest and laughed. "I really don't think that'll be necessary. I'm not ashamed about being seen with a hockey player in public."

"That's g—hey!"

"Gotcha." She laughed and then kissed him. "That would mean a lot to me, Brody, if you could do that."

"All right then, that's all settled. Now . . . hmmm. I had an idea, but you need to go somewhere else."

"Go? I'm not going anywhere."

"Just for a minute. Just wait in the hallway or something."

"I don't think so." Ryan shook her head. "I need a shower, will that get me out of the way long enough?"

"Oh, hey, now that's a good idea. I could change up."

"No, no, I want to see what you have planned." Ryan grabbed her bag and dropped it on the bed, then rummaged through it to find some clothes. In the process, she tossed the purple rabbit Brody had given her on the bed.

"You have this with you?" He picked it up and looked at her in surprise.

"Yeah." She bit her lip. "Yeah, it's my good luck charm. I kept it with me on the last tour, too. I know we got upset and everything, but, well, I didn't want to be without it." She picked up her clothes and put the bag back on the floor. "I won't be long."

"Take your time," Brody said with a smile.

Ryan stood under the water, letting it run over her as she tried to get a grip on her feelings. She couldn't believe Brody was there; she half-expected that it was some kind of dream, and she'd exit the bathroom into an empty room. Don't be ridiculous, she told herself. You're tired, not delusional.

She turned her thoughts to wondering what Brody's surprise would be. Probably food, she thought with a laugh. She wouldn't be at all surprised to step out and find that he'd ordered a four-course meal. Hell, if the room had had a kitchen, he'd probably have cooked one.

She finished her shower and dried off, sighing in contentment as she slipped into the long t-shirt she slept in. She took a few moments to towel her hair dry and comb it, then went to the door.

"You ready? I'm coming out," she called.

"I'm ready."

Ryan stepped out and looked around. No food. Then her eyes went wide and she gaped.

"What?" He grinned up at her.

She cleared her throat. "I, um. I wasn't sure what to expect."

Brody lay on the bed naked but for her purple rabbit, strategically placed. She couldn't wait to join him, but the rabbit had a somewhat dampening effect on the mood. Fighting to keep a straight face she asked, "What are you doing with my rabbit? It seems like that should be illegal."

"I didn't have a guitar with me."

"Ah. I see." She covered her mouth with her hands but was losing her struggle with laughter.

Brody propped himself on one elbow and arched an eyebrow. "Ryan, I did not come all the way to Boston so that you could laugh at me."

"I'm sorry, but a toy purple rabbit doesn't exactly contribute to a romantic atmosphere." She gave up and leaned against the wall, laughing and wiping her eyes.

"Oh, well." He tossed the plush toy on to the other bed. "How's that?"

Ryan fell onto the bed next to him. "Much better."

"Yes, it is." Brody smiled and pulled her to him. "I really did miss you." He rubbed his cheek against hers.

"Hey, wait." Ryan reached up and put a hand to his face. "You shaved your beard."

"Yeah." He pressed a kiss to her palm. "I wondered when you'd notice."

Ryan laughed. "I didn't mind, you know."

"Cool. I'll grow another one next year. Maybe you'll like it better."

She kissed him. "So you think we'll still be here next year?"

"Well maybe not here specifically, but I like to think there's a good chance we'll still be together. You?"

"I can go along with that." Ryan traced a finger along his jaw. "You think you can handle a musician girlfriend? Temperamental artist and all that?"

He caught her hand and held it. "I think I can manage. How about you? I thought you didn't like athletes."

"I don't, much, but some of them are okay. You know, like Bax and Mark." She giggled at the look on his face. "And you, you're okay, too."

"Just okay?" He inched his fingers up under her shirt.

"I'm willing to revise my opinion."

"See, I knew you weren't that temperamental." He found her lips again, then pulled away. "Hey, I just thought of something."

"What?"

"If we live together, you can be naked with the guitar all the time!"

Ryan laughed. "Better that than you naked with the rabbit."

"I knew you'd let me live out one fantasy."

12