Ripple Effect

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

When Sarah finally quit crying, she sat back up and attempted to wipe the tears with the back of her hands. Her father handed her a dish towel he'd carried out with his coffee.

"Thanks," Sarah said while dabbing at her eyes, "I must look a fright after all this crying."

"No," her father interjected, "for some reason, just like your mother, you always look prettier after a good cry."

Sarah smiled and with a deep breath, began, "Well I guess now is as good a time as any. Daddy, I broke it off with Fred because it was only fair to end it and let him get on with his life. After last weekend, I realized I don't love him and never will.

"I was only using him and his family to get what I… what I thought I wanted out of life. He's really a very nice guy and doesn't deserve to be treated that way." Her eyes started to tear up again and her dad decided he'd better say something fast or else go inside and get a handful of dishtowels.

"Well girl, I have a confession to make. All the time you were going with him, you never once used the word 'love' to describe your feelings when talking about or to him. But, I couldn't help noticing that you still do when talking about… Hank."

"I know, daddy… and that hurts more than you'll ever know. Hank deserved it even less. I can't take back what I did or the way I treated him, but I'm glad everything is working out for Hank. He deserves all the good things that are happening to him, and more. Isn't it strange how you can feel pain over losing the person you love, but still be happy for and wish them the best?"

As fresh tears fell down her face, Sarah once more leaned over and laid her head in her dad's lap. Then she soulfully added, "Now I understand what he wrote in my novel… and I know he meant it.

Stroking her hair to comfort her, he smiled with the thought, 'That's one foot on the ground, girl, just one more to go. Then we'll make sure they're aimed in the right direction.'

"What about your schoolin'?" Her father asked.

"Damn daddy, there's no way I could have gotten back into my studies. I'm just glad I already have my degree and was working on my masters." With a deep sigh, she added, "Don't worry, I'll eventually go back and finish, but for now, I had to take a break.

"Dad, I have to find myself again, or none of it will mean a thing. I've somehow gotten lost in the process."

"Hmmm," her dad sat reflecting, then said, "I understand. For now, just relax and take it easy, it'll all come back to you. Trust me darlin', it's like that old saying, 'you can take the girl out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the girl'," her dad chuckled.

"That's boy, daddy, 'can't take the country out of the boy,' ohhh, you know that."

They both laughed.

**********

"Well girl, what did you do your first day home?" Her father asked when Sarah came through the screen door with a cup of coffee in her hand and joined him in the swing.

"Went and got me a job, how's that?" She asked, her face glowing with pride.

"I just hope it's legal," her father joked.

"Unless they've passed a law against being a third grade teacher, then I think I'm safe," she replied with a laugh. "I stopped by the school to put in my application. Turns out that their third grade teacher is taking a maternity leave, and guess what," she said.

"Well let's see if I can figure this out on my own." He paused to scratch his head and pretend to be seriously pondering the situation. All of a sudden, he slapped his knee and said, "I think I've got it. I'll bet they hired you to replace her," he smiled.

Jokingly, she retorted, "Damn daddy, you're good."

Then in a serious voice, he responded, "No darlin'… you are."

She smiled at him.

He silently reflected, 'That's the second foot on the ground, youngun. Now all we need is to make sure they're aimed in the right direction before you take that first step.'

**********

Leaning on her grocery cart, Sarah stood waiting in line for her turn to checkout. The husband of the young couple in front of her was constantly fidgeting and mumbling little complaints. 'It must be a male thing, they have no patience,' she thought with a grin.

His wife on the other hand, had already started unloading their basket while the checker was finishing up with the customer in front of them. Suddenly she stopped and told her husband, "We'd get out of here a lot sooner if you would quit your bitching and help me unload this."

Sarah giggled.

The wife glanced up at her and said, "His hormones are probably out of whack." Then with a smile added, "Bet your husband is no different."

Sarah's smile never left her face, but her eyes floated off to a past memory. Even though Hank had been gone over three months, for some reason she couldn't explain, he suddenly came to mind. "No… I haven't been cursed with that privilege yet, still single."

The young wife looked surprised, but just nodded and continued to unload her basket.

Not knowing why, Sarah felt somewhat embarrassed and looked away, pretending to be studying the magazine rack. All at once, Sarah moaned very loudly, "Oh God, nooo."

"Something wrong?" the husband asked.

Now fully embarrassed, Sarah hurriedly replied, "No, just saw someone I know." The young man shrugged his shoulders and went back to helping his wife unload the basket.

Sarah couldn't believe she hadn't noticed before, but one of the 'rag mags' as her daddy called them, had a front page picture of Hank. It wasn't seeing the man she'd always loved that upset her, but the very beautiful young woman at his side. She looked to Sarah as though she had the world by the tail, but Sarah also noticed her left hand had a tight grip on Hank's arm.

She didn't miss the fact that same hand was also sporting a huge diamond engagement ring. But what sunk her heart was the headlines, 'Hot New Young Author's Beautiful Escort Announces, "Yes, Our Engagement is Official."'

The young man watched Sarah's hand start to shake as she reached for a copy of the magazine.

**********

As he sat in the swing on the back porch, Sarah's dad thought, 'This is my favorite spot in the whole world.' As he took a sip of coffee, he realized, 'Putting this swing up years ago was the best thing I ever did. Next to marrying Sarah's mom that is… and having Sarah… and buying that new pick-up truck. Oh well, it rates way up there with the rest anyway.

'Speaking of Sarah, I wonder what's gone wrong. She was doing so well. Her spirits were picking up every day. Suddenly she came home from the grocery store about two weeks ago looking like she'd lost her best friend and hasn't bounced back yet. I'm gonna have a talk with her, this moping around just won't get it. If there's to be any hope, she's gotta stay on track.'

About that time the screen door slowly opened as Sarah eased out onto the back porch. Without saying a word, she walked over and sat down beside her father. She had a distant look to her face. Her dad decided it was time.

"Did you happen to watch the news tonight?" he asked.

Without so much as even a change of expression, Sarah replied, "Yes daddy. I saw Hank on the news… and I saw his beautiful new fiancée at his side as always."

"His fiancée?" her dad asked.

She turned and looked at him, "Daddy, don't play dumb with me. I know you and Hank are close... and that you two stay in constant touch with each other. So don't pretend you don't know about his new fiancée."

"Sorry daughter, but this time I'm out of the loop. But tell me, how is it that you know something I don't?"

Sarah rose and went into the house. She returned a few minutes later with the magazine. Her dad watched with curiosity as she sat back down beside him and laid the 'rag mag' in his lap, with Hank's picture face up, glaring at him.

"Daughter, how many times have I told you not to waste your money on this trash. I swear, you are just like your mother."

Tears rolled down her cheeks as she replied, "Daddy, it makes no difference. It's right there in the headlines. And if you don't want to believe it, just look at the size of the diamond on her left hand."

Sarah lifted her legs up until her heels were locked on the edge of the swing. She crossed her arms over the top of her knees and laid her head in the natural cradle they formed.

Surprised and shocked, her father couldn't believe what he was seeing. He opened the magazine and started reading the article, slowly a smile begin to spread across his face. 'Well to quote pappy's favorite saying, "I'll be a Horne toad's uncle,"' he thought to himself, 'girl, you really are more like your mother than I ever realized. You've got to do more than just look at the pictures.'

It was all her dad could do to keep from laughing, but knew that he couldn't save her this time. He realized, 'She has to get over this on her own, otherwise she won't stand a chance.'

"Well, what did you think about this when you found out?" Her father asked.

She never looked up, "It hurts worse than anything I've ever felt, daddy. And it's still hurting. The most painful part is knowing I did the same thing to Hank. God daddy, why didn't you just shoot me and get me out of everyone's misery?"

"Darlin', life goes on. People get over their misery and past their pain. But sometimes, on occasion, the culprit is the cure. Hell, if I had shot you, then some of us might never have gotten over our pain and misery."

Suddenly he chuckled, "We may need you around later on so we will have someone to torture. That should make us feel better."

She scowled at him, "Daddy, I'm being serious. It's not funny. But Hank seems happy, at least I hope he is. Lord knows he deserves it."

Then with a deep sigh, she added, "Don't worry about me daddy. I'm young, and time heals all wounds. Besides, I have a third grade class. The boys, it turns out, all want to marry me. The only problem is the girls, if looks could kill, I'd be dead. I just don't understand," she chuckled.

Her dad laughed and thought, 'Well, well, both feet finally on the ground and aimed right. That first step shouldn't be far away. I'll have to see what I can do to make sure it's a big one.'

**********

As Sarah sat on the old familiar rock beside her favorite swimming hole, she remembered, 'Hank and I used to sunbath on this very rock. This is where we spent every spare moment we could.' Sarah now found herself coming here often to just savor the pleasant memories. They made her feel comfortable and seemed to refresh her hope for all her tomorrows.

Tossing another rock into the pool, she wondered out loud, "Why do I enjoy that so much? It almost feels like a wishing well… with each rock carrying a new wish."

"Well Sarah, just what would you be wishing for on a bright sunny day like this?" came a voice from behind her.

Startled at first, Sarah started to spin, but before she could turn around, her fear was already being replaced by the comfort that voice recognition brings. And she knew that voice so well.

As her eyes locked with Hank's, her heart leapt into her throat. She suddenly felt as if she couldn't breathe, her blood was rushing to her head. With a deep breath, she quickly collected her wits and stammered, "Hank… what are you doing here… how did you get here… where did you come from?"

"Whoa girl, slow down, one at a time. Out of curiosity, are those wishes or questions?" he chuckled.

"You startled me, that's all. No one ever comes up here. By the way, what are you doing here?" she asked.

"Well I thought I'd come and check out my new property. I just closed a deal to buy this section," he informed her.

Surprised, she asked, "Why would you want to buy this pile of rocks? There's much better land available for farming or grazing," she replied.

He smiled, "Now Sarah, what would I do with either of those? I'm not a rancher or farmer. I told you, I'm an author. What I need in my life is a lot more imagination and magic… like your wishing well. So, now that I can afford it, I bought the key to my fantasy, and my dreams."

"This waterhole is your fantasy?" she inquired with surprise.

"No," he responded with a grin. "This waterhole holds many happy memories of my fantasy. But more importantly, I've heard some very strong rumors that she comes here quite often. So I figured if I owned it, I could just sit and wait for her to show up, then my dreams might come true."

Suddenly embarrassed, then angry, a red faced Sarah snapped, "Hank, don't be cruel. Please don't toy with me. I know I hurt you, and you'll never know how sorry I am for that. But I'd never do it again and I ask the same of you. I'm happy for you and your fiancée, I truly am. If I have any pleasure left, it's knowing you will finally get all your dreams. And by the way, she is very beautiful."

Looking a little confused, Hank asked, "Did I miss out on something while I was gone? Do you know something I don't? Whatever gave you the idea that I had a fiancée?"

"Oh come on Hank, knock it off. I saw the rag mag, I saw you and your fiancée, I saw the engagement ring, and I read the announcement. My god, everyone saw it, it was plastered all over the front."

Hank laughed out loud and shook his head.

"May I ask what's so damn funny?" her words asked, but her tone demanded.

"If you weren't so… as your daddy says, pig headed… Sarah, did you even read the article? Did it ever cross your mind to do more than just look at the picture?"

A little confused, she pleaded, "What difference would that have made? The picture and headline said it all."

"Well let me explain 'Little Miss Know It All.' The young lady happens to be my assistant, assigned to me by the publishing firm. She is very beautiful, but also very bossy and very punctual.

"That's the reason they put her with me. To keep me out of trouble and make sure I was always on time for the daily book signings, not to mention the publicity events almost every night. I'll tell you what, those big cities never sleep. And the people running the show live hard, fast, and high on the hog.

"But, if you'd only taken the time to read the article, you would know that her engagement was to the president and owner of the publishing firm. By the way, she happens to love and adore him very much, and… he paid for the ring, not me."

"Then… then… that means…," she stammered once more as tears trickled down her cheeks.

Hank smiled real big, and before she could finish, replied, "Yes… yes, it does."

All of a sudden Hank stepped around the rock, scooped her up, and started towards the pool.

"Hank… what the hell are you doing?" Sarah screamed.

"I'm going to get rid of that fuckin' bitch, once and for all," Hank said as he waded out into the water.

Her eyes looked a little fearful and her voice sounded panicky, "What are you going to do?"

"Real simple," he said as he stopped in the waist deep water. "Make sure your ass stays out here until you get tired of feeling sorry for yourself. Once you're past that point, start scrubbing until that 'New Bitch' is gone. When you get down to the 'Old Sarah,' the Sarah we love so much, then we'll talk.

With that he gave her a heave and she went screaming into the water. As she plunged below the surface, Hank turned and started for the bank. When he heard her come up out of the water still screeching, he grinned.

Suddenly he smiled as she jumped on his back shouting, "Asshole." But it wasn't until her arms were hugging his neck and her legs wrapped around his waist that she pressed her cheek to his. Then his heart melted when she said, "Oh Hank, I love you so much."

All at once, his body went perfectly stiff and he threw out his arms like a cross. "We'll see," he said. With that, Hank turned his head sideways, looked deep into her eyes, and said, "Sarah, I think we ought to build the house close enough so that we'll be able watch our kids when they go swimming.

"Ohhh, by the way, no matter what happens, just remember one thing, I really do love you." Then he gave her a peck on the lips just before she let out an ear piercing scream as he suddenly lunged upwards and started falling backwards. As they splashed into the water, he only felt two things, the water closing in over his face, and her cheek pressed tightly to his.

Sarah only had one thought, 'Hank, I'll never let go of you again.'

************* ************* ************ *************

Please take time to vote. A huge amount of time is devoted to writing a story, good, bad, or indifferent. Your direct feedback, especially direct comments helps writers to become better and more focused, which in turn gives you, the reader, a better product. Thank you for taking the time to read my story.

12