Running From Wolves Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

************************************************************************************

Ashlynn told her story in shattered breaths, between sips of tea, her eyes distant. Drawing back to the present, Ashlynn steadied her shoulders. Staring up at Lilith through tear soaked lashes, she once again reached for anger. Because it was the only emotion she knew would stand up to this pain. This hurt that threatened to drown her under the weight of its waves, if left to its own devices. And growing under that hurt was the guilt that haunted her, every time she saw those love starved eyes. He was a wolf, and she knew what that meant every time, she felt him reach out to her, love starved.

"I did research later, hunting down my family history in fae lore. My family tree did not stray into the light any more than yours did, Lilith." She said, watching Lilith's eyes darken. "In dreams, my grandmother has begun her dark haunting teachings. My awareness is not yet honed, but I can tell, just as you could in me if you tried; we are both of us children of Mab. The more powerful we are, the more strung to its curse, but if we are damn lucky, we do not have to live long enough to watch everything we care about turn to ash. "

Lilith's eyes turned from sorrow to pity as she stared at Ashlynn. This time, her own eyes were damp. "You could fight it," Lilith said, pausing and letting the words fill the space, like a prayer for both of them.

Continuing, her voice drew a confident strength as she gripped Ashlynn's hands. "Goddess, you could fight it. If you have love, don't ever presume to throw it away because some old bat, thinks she knows better than the goddess who gave that heart. You have a soul: a gift, from your mother and your mortal father. Use it." Lilith sobbed, looking away.

"Blair will kill him," Ashlynn promised, each word sharp, and for a moment, Lilith caught a glimpse of the darkness that had begun to stain the soul in front of her. "These months have shown me what she is capable of and I am merely scratching the surface." Standing, she drew back. "Just. . . I need a minute," she said, heading for the bathroom.

"Audrey, what was his name?" Lilith called, from behind her.

Ashlynn paused, regretting not have given her own name. After all, she'd already laid her burden down on the girl, the least she could do was answer one personal question. Perhaps after she was long gone, the girl might even tell him she was alright. Maybe tell him how much she still loved him. "Let's just call him Romeo," she said, finally deciding.

Rushing to the bathroom, Ashlynn stared at her pale complexion, studying her puffy cheeks and red, piercing gaze. Get angry, come on Ashlynn. He is controlling, overprotective, and it's his fault the old bag even found you; by dragging you into the underworld. He smells like dog. He cuddles more than most women. He is emotionally needy, and you do not need him. Every word an exaggerated lie, but it worked as her pulse slowed. Steady again, she wandered back out into the bar. Lilith was cleaning up their glasses while Maya busily scrubbed at the bar.

Sitting at the bar again, emotionally worn, Ashlynn just studied them, until Lilith asked again. "So this Romeo; you really aren't going to fight for what you had?"

Ashlynn shrugged. "I almost died once for him, and I cannot watch him die for me. I'm learning from Blair, and maybe one day I'll be powerful enough to protect him. Until that day, I cannot put him in danger. Blair is nothing if not true to her word."

Maya finally contributed, her eyes distant as she stared blankly forward, her voice echoing, "You do not have to do it all alone."

Lilith looked at Maya and grinned. "Well said, kid. I was getting bored anyway."

Ashlynn merely sagged, no rally left in her. "Lilith, this is the first and last time I will tell this story. I need to let go of the past; this would all just be so much easier if my past stopped chasing me down," Ashlynn sighed.

Maya and Lilith shared a quick look, laced with guilt. Ashlynn bolted to her feet, drawing backwards. "What have you done?" she asked, suddenly tearing her eyes to the door and running through her exit strategy.

"Ashlynn, you love him," Lilith said, gravely, squaring her shoulders.

Ashlynn shook her head. "I trusted you," she said, looking across the bar and seeing her cheap burner phone still sitting on the bar. Only one emergency number typed in in case something happened. "You called him."

"You love him. You need to fight," she replied, sternly.

Ashlynn shook her head. "That was not your choice to make."

Lilith groaned aloud. "I like you. I've known you less than twenty-four hours, and I've never met him, but I would fight for you both. You forgot the most important part in all of this. You are not powerless in your fate. You need to fight back and my brother and I know fae powerful enough to help. Ashlynn, there are many fights in this world that started out impossible. This is not an impossible fight."

Ashlynn's eyes shifted, to a dark indigo, her, fists clenching, and Lilith took a step back, at the might that suddenly burdened the air. "My grandmother is Rosenthal Gwendomir Amethyst Roher Blaire Astair. Blaire sits at the head of the night court. I am not the one who is blind here. It would take war to break an heir free of that and you just phoned the only mutt stupid enough to believe he could take it on, if it was for me," she said, watching the wheels turn in Lilith's head like a slot machine. Ticking into place and coming out jackpot. Lilith quaked, looking away, and whether it was fear or regret, Ashlynn didn't much care. "I would have said sooner, if I thought you'd do this."

Lilith no longer met her eyes or voiced an opinion. Maya was just looking back and forth between them, confused. The words meant nothing to her, but Lilith's defeated expression said it all.

"Someday soon, I might know enough about casting to fend him off, but for now I've got a controlling wolf to run from, so do me a damn favor," Ashlynn said, softening, and Lilith looked at her again, wishing there was anything in this world she could do to help. "Give me as much of a head start as you can."

Turning to the back, she dumped out her drawers, tossing them into her shoulder bag, and yanking on her coat. A shudder ran down her spine, as she felt him nearing. Sleeping with him had been a mistake, she knew as the echo across their bond began to slip into place like a radio signal that was suddenly in range. Grabbing her bag, she raced towards the emergency exit, and out into the cool night alley. She regretted not saying goodbye to Isaac, she still owed him a favor.

She was halfway to the street when strong arms suddenly wrapped around her like iron bars jerking her to a halt. His scent hit her before his voice. "You fucking drugged me, Ash," he grumbled, holding her close against his chest.

"Let me go, Mutt," she grumbled, digging in her heels and trying to drag herself from his hold. "How did you even get here this fast?" she demanded, angrily.

"I was called to the area for a business meeting. Believe it or not, there is more going on than my pursuit of you. I may be a miserable wreck without you, but there are still things I must do."

Ashlynn sunk, back against him breathing heavily. "I'm so tired of this constant struggle, Blaise. What are the odds, that for once, you could just let me walk away?"

He grumbled, inhaling her scent from her side. "I'm a mutt, we are notoriously stubborn." With that she heard other footsteps, as she watched a van pull up to the end of the alley.

Emotions still rattled her as she felt her too hot cheeks, and the comfort of his arms.

The door next to them rattled out. "Oh, good, you made it," Lilith said, eying the scene up and down with apparent fascination.

Blaise looked at her without releasing Ashlynn, who was dragged around with him. Lilith almost laughed at the ease with which he made the stubborn girl bend to his charm. And she couldn't help but notice that they made quite a pair. He was tall, gruff and built, and like her, looked like he wasn't sleeping well, as if the wind had been blowing him too hard, and yet inhumanly beautiful. Lilith wanted to take a picture, because she was fairly certain they belonged in a magazine.

"You were the young woman from the phone. Thank you," he said, pulling Ashlynn tighter for emphasis. Ashlynn looked a little like an unhappy ragdoll, but the way she rested her hand on his, and leaned easily into his mass, told a different story. Her eyes were a whirlpool of mixed emotion.

Lilith smiled, sadly. "I think there's something you should know."

Ashlynn snapped her head and began struggling for all she was worth. "No," she demanded fiercely.

12