Running with Wolves Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Ben looked startled. "What?"

"Do you trust me?"

"Of course, but we can't-"

"Then put the gun down." Dominic tugged a bit on his jeans. "It will be OK, but you have to put the gun down."

Ben stared at him for a moment, obviously torn. Dominic knew he was afraid of more than just the werewolves. He was afraid of being caged again. Like he was all those years before Dom showed up with two trash bags and Jarod by his side. He didn't want to give up what they had created on their own, what would be taken from them if they agreed to do this.

But in the end none of them had a choice. Ben lowered the gun. Dominic gave him his most reassuring smile, before getting Jarod to help him up.

"Orion."

"Yes, Dominic?"

"Promise me again." Dominic looked Orion directly in the eye.

"Swear to me that if we give up, if I agree to do what ever it is you want me to do, they will be left unharmed."

Orion straightened his shoulders. "I swear."

A shiver ran down Dominic's spine. Something about the way he said those two words made the air around them seem to shimmer, and a palpable weight was placed on the two of them.

He would not go back on his word. Dominic knew he couldn't.

*

Soon after the humans agreed to come back to the Den, Kate found herself guarding them outside the warehouse. They were all huddled together, sitting on the ground against the wall of the warehouse. Dominic was asleep against Garrett's shoulder, while the rough guy, Ben, was watching every move the pack made, mistrustful of them. They had taken the shotgun away, but Kate had the impression that wouldn't stop him from using everything he had in order to protect his group. She could understand his need to be vigil and respected his protectiveness. It was what a wolf would do. Samantha and her baby, Penny, were pressed as close to Dominic as they could get, trying to keep warm and seeking comfort probably. The dark skinned man, Jarod, seemed to be taking issue with something off by the vehicles, but Kate couldn't figure out what it was. Cole's unit were just finishing gathering all the supplies that the group had inside and were loading it up in the stolen van. Maybe he didn't like them touching their things?

Kate couldn't believe they had been living out here on this abandoned airstrip. It was so nasty out here. The scent from the creak was enough to make her gag, clogging her and everyone else's noses after being out there so long. The warehouse, while being the most resilient of the buildings, was still starting to fall apart. The walls were rusting and the roof had holes it it that was allowing rain and cold inside. There was no electricity or working plumbing to speak of.

Yet inside there were obvious signs that this place had been used as a home. Before they had started gathering what was left, there had been a ring of tables in one corner that had been used as a kitchen area, along with a small fridge the humans were going to leave behind and a camping stove. In the center of the floor were large pieces of furniture that looked second-hand at best, all surrounding a propane powered heater they must have been using for warmth. Kate had taken a quick peak upstairs at their 'bed rooms'. There was one large office area that smelled heavily of the men, while a smaller room meant for a secretary or small private meetings held the scent of females. All that was left in those rooms were mattresses but she had spotted sleeping bags and old bedding in the van, probably second-hand as well. Out back it looked like they had rigged a small platform to sit over the man-made drainage creek to use as a bathroom. There was a hose on the roof connected to a well on the property, which seemed to be the only source of clean water unless they bought it in containers. They had what looked to be a shower type structure up there as well. All in all, they had done their best to make this place livable.

"It's not right."

Kate looked at Jarod. He had been mumbling that for a while now while watching the last of the stuff being loaded. Sol had ordered everything be taken out so that there was no trace anyone had ever been there.

"Not right, not right. What are they thinking?" Jarod's leg started to bounce in agitation. The movement woke up Dominic.

"Hmm? What is it Jarod?" Dominic put a hand on the bouncing leg. "Tell me what's wrong."

"It isn't right."

"What isn't right?" Jarod pointed at Dagwood and June, who were putting another mattress on top of the van. "The mattresses?" Jarod nodded his head. "You don't like them up there?"

"They need to switch them. They can't drive the van with them like that, they need to switch them."

Kate didn't get it. 'What's wrong with the way we have them now?' They had four up there, maybe he was worried one would fall off?

Dominic seemed to understand. "Kate?"

She turned back to them. "Yes?"

"Can you have them put the blue mattress on top, please?"

Everyone within earshot gave them a funny look. "Why?"

"Jarod needs it to be on top." Dominic didn't say more, just leaned his head back against Garrett's shoulder and closed his eyes. Kate stared at them for a moment, but decided this was not a hill worth dying on. She turned to her wolves and nodded her approval. It wouldn't take them long to do it.

With that done she turned back to the group. Jarod seemed to instantly relax when she agreed to switch the mattresses around, which was good. Ben was still being vigilant, but also seemed to calm down when she agreed to do that small thing for them. Samantha even smiled in gratitude at her. The mattresses really must have been an issue.

The baby, Penny, began to fuss then. It was about 6 in the morning, so it was around the time she would be hungry. Samantha easily pulled open her button up shirt, it smelled like it belonged to Ben, and the baby latched on to a swollen nipple. Samantha cooed at her baby, talking sweet to her while she ate.

Dominic took notice and turned to face them. He smiled at the two and lifted his hand to pet Penny on her head while she fed. They both smiled as Penny gurgled with her mouth full, making her spill a bit of milk.

Kate stepped up to them. Ben tensed, but Kate ignored him for the moment, not threatened. "I just wanted to see if you needed anything. I can grab another blanket for you if you like, Samantha."

The young mother looked up from her baby. "No, thank you. I'm ok. Something to drink would be nice though. We have a cooler in the back of the van."

Kate nodded and headed to get something for them. Cole was near by, so she didn't need to worry about them being left unprotected.

As she made her way to the line of vehicles, Kate spotted Misty wearing emergency clothes, speaking with her family. She looked agitated, and they looked exasperated. Kate eavesdropped on the conversation while she pulled open the large blue cooler.

"You are being ridiculous, Misty. That doesn't even make any sense." Cole snapped, rolling his eyes. Flint, who had been moved to sit in an SUV, grunted in agreement through the rolled down window.

Orion shook his head. "Are you sure you were not mistaken? There are many scents in the city, it would not be surprising if his scent was crossed with someone else's."

"No. I know what I smelled, and I can prove it." Misty spun on her bare heel and began storming her way back the way Kate had come. Instinct pushed Kate to follow. She was put in charge of the human's safety and she would not allow anything to happen them.

Dominic's eyes focused as soon as Misty began approaching, the Five Rivers Alphas following. He moved to a full sitting position, but other than that stayed completely relaxed. Brave guy. Samantha was up and walking around, bouncing Penny and patting her back to get her to burp.

"You need to tell them the truth." Misty crossed her arms, feet apart like she was prepared to dig her heels in and fight it out, whatever it was.

Dominic tilted his head a bit. "Tell me what you think I know, and maybe I will."

Misty looked smug, but in a desperate way. "You're gay. Tell them. They don't believe me when I try to tell them."

Dominic kept a neutral face, but even with the foul smell of the water-soaked ground clogging her nose Kate could scent he was confused. He seemed to assess Misty for a moment before responding. "No, I'm not."

Misty shook her head. "Don't lie. I could smell them on you. You had the scent of at least four men on you in the city." Kate could smell Misty's conviction slipping, worry replacing it.

It clicked for Kate in that moment. This had been it; the reason Misty had been so sure this human couldn't be her mate. She had convinced herself that he was incompatible with her because of his sexuality. She was grasping at anything to prove a human could not be her mate.

"Then explain why you smelled of men and sex when I ran into you."

"Probably because I had had sex with men before you ran into

me."

"Then why do you say you aren't gay?" Misty looked ready to attack him out of frustration. "Clearly you are!"

Dominic narrowed his eyes, defensive. "Having sex with men because it brings you pleasure makes you gay, having sex with men because it's business doesn't. I had sex with those men for business, nothing more."

"You had sex with those men for money?" Misty looked like she didn't believe him. Dominic nodded his head.

Misty reeked of confusion. Kate wasn't surprised she didn't get it. Most of her life was spent focused on the pack and in the Den, so human behavior wasn't one of her most knowledgeable subjects.

"You're a prostitute." Kate said it as a statement, not a question.

"Only when I need to be. Our rent for staying in this place was due and we didn't have enough, so I was in the city to hook up with some clients and get the rest of what we needed. The one female client I had canceled 'cause I was late, thanks to you." He looked accusingly at Misty. She looked slightly horrified.

"But- if you aren't gay, then..."

"There is no reason to believe your wolf is incorrect about Dominic being your Destined Mate." Orion put his hand on his daughter's shoulder.

"But, Father-"

"No, Misty." Sol looked like she had had enough. "I realize you were hoping to succeed your father and I with your mate, and become the Alpha Pair, but this is the path you were set upon by our Luna. Your actions have led to your Destined Mate being hurt, the treaty that your father and I have worked so hard to achieve to be put in jeopardy, and the involvement of five innocent humans, one of which is a babe. It is time for you to accept this for what it is.

"Now, stop whining like a child and properly bond with your mate. Your wolf tried when she pushed you aside and took over your mind, but was not able to." Sol looked over to the clustered humans. Misty looked crestfallen and shocked by her mother's reprimand.

Dominic looked worried. "What do you mean, 'properly bond'?"

"When a wolf finds a human mate, they have to form a bond with them so that the human can begin to develop their own wolf." Orion answered.

"I still don't understand?"

Kate answered for them, being the only one that had gone through it before. "Dominic, because you have accepted becoming Misty's mate, you must be turned into a werewolf."

He nodded. "I figured."

"Well, before you can be turned into one of us, into a werewolf, you have to allow your wolf to develop within you. Humans have been out of the wild for so long that their instincts have atrophied to the point of being useless. Our wolves are nothing but instinct. If you were turned tonight, you would most likely become an extremely weak wolf. The bond will allow Misty to share her wolf's energy with yours and allow it to grow and become stronger."

"How long will this bond take?"

"It is different for everyone-"

"As long as you can take it." Misty seemed to finally get a hold of herself, finding her determination in something else.

Kate glared at her, seeing where she was going with this. "The longer you hold out, the stronger your wolf will be. But I would strongly advise against that."

"Why?" Ben spoke up, sounding worried for his friend.

Kate crossed her arms, glaring at Misty. "It's dangerous. During a bond the human's wolf isn't anchored to anything. It's just a bundle of mindless instinct and power, and the stronger it gets, the higher the risk it will attempt to form into it's physical form and tear the human's body and their mind apart."

Misty glared at Kate, growling low. "Is there something you want to say to me, Beta Kate?"

Kate stepped right up to Misty, standing toe to toe with her. "I can't believe you would even consider prolonging the bonding with what your brother is going through."

Misty snarled at her. "This has nothing to do with you, Beta. Back down."

"Like hell I will-"

"Enough!" Sol shoved the two apart. "You have made enough mistakes when comes to your mate, Misty. I suggest you rethink your agenda. Kate, I understand your feelings on this matter, but it is not your place. Back down. Go and cool off, then retrieve the Pine Glen Alpha Pair."

Kate was beyond infuriated. How dare that brat even entertain the idea of extending the bonding just so that she could have a better chance of becoming Madame Alpha.

'Kate, sweet, calm down.' Cliff pushed past the haze of anger and soothed her soul with his presence. 'Misty just isn't thinking straight right now. There is no possibility she will ever truly put her mate in actual danger. Her ambition is just clouding her judgment and it will pass.'

Kate shook her head, continuing on her way to find the Pine Glen Alphas. 'I just can't believe she would just take something so wonderful and pervert it into nothing more than a way to make Dominic strong enough to become an Alpha. Don't you remember what it was like for us? What our bond was like? It was the most intimate thing I had ever experienced, before I placed your mating mark, and she just wants to use it to make her mate strong enough so she can take over. It pisses me off.'

'I know it does, but he is not your responsibility. Alpha Sol and Alpha Orion will make sure she doesn't do anything she can't fix.'

Kate grunted, not believing her mate, but couldn't respond because she found the Alphas. She had a command to follow.

"Alpha Pine Glen, Madam Alpha Pine Glen. My Alphas are ready for you to speak with the Destined now."

"I was wondering if we had been forgotten," Ash Pine Glen grumbled. He was an elderly wolf, close to stepping down and letting his son Falcon Pine Glen take over. He was still dressed in his good clothing from the gathering. A nice black tuxedo style suit with mother-of-pearl cuff links.

His mate, Lily Pine Glen hushed him. "That's enough out of you. You were the one who insisted on coming." She turned from her mate, a kind smile on her face. "I'm sorry dear, the old dog is just grouchy because it is past his bed time. Let's go see this young boy." Kate liked the Madam Alpha of the Pine Glen pack, always had. With her silver gray hair, soft wrinkles, and kind eyes, you would never suspect she could slice through your Achilles and tear out your jugular before you could make a sound, without getting a drop of blood on her blue couture dress. She was Kate's kind of woman.

Kate bowed and smiled at the Madam Alpha. "Follow me please."

Both of the powerful wolves fell in step with her, shadowed by both their own four Betas, along with Storm and Thunder. Orion had wanted the two to help keep the peace and make the other pack feel more comfortable. The Pine Glen Betas had been fidgety and nervous being on a different pack's land with so few wolves to guard their Alphas. Offering the two strongest Betas for the Five Rivers pack was any easy solution to smooth things over. In total Kate ended up coming back with eight wolves following her.

As they made their way to the group by the warehouse, something changed. There was a feeling of agitation and anticipation in the air slowly building as they got closer to their destination. It suddenly spiked when they got within scent range of the group of humans.

Almost without warning, both Thunder and Storm bolted forward with the speed of the hunters that they are. Kate instantly crouched in a defensive posture, her training guiding her instincts, leaving her brain to try and identify the threat the twins had detected.

She took in her surroundings with a trained eye and heightened wolf abilities. The Pine Glen Alphas were behind her, surrounded by four of their Betas. In front of her were her Alphas and Misty, all trying to identify what it was that had set off the twins. Dominic, Ben, Garrett, and Jarod were all still sitting against the warehouse wall, and Samantha was a few paces away, still bouncing her baby. Cole and his unit were farther back, keeping guard in the trees. Kate couldn't identify anything that could have gotten the twins to react so strongly.

Neither of them stopped to even glance at their Alphas. They just kept rushing forward.

Straight for Samantha.

The poor girl looked stunned as the two massive men came right up to her, barely a breath away and just stared at her. Kate could hear them sniffing at her, mumbling to each other in broken sentences as they were prone to do.

"Do you think?"

"Her scent."

"We found her."

"A baby?"

"Doesn't matter."

"Both beautiful."

Samantha looked from one to the other as they spoke in turn. She had a firm hold on Penny, pulled to her chest. "Um, who are you? What are you talking about?"

Storm and Thunder both smiled wide at her, Storm reaching out to touch her cheek. "You belong with us now."

She froze. "W-what?"

Thunder nodded, putting his hand on Penny's back and patting her. "We will take care of you now."

"Get the fuck away from them!"

Kate, who had relaxed her posture but was still staring wide eyed at the trio, couldn't have predicted the reaction that followed.

Ben started cussing immediately, getting up as he did. Garrett was upset as well, but was trying to keep the situation civil. Dominic had to use the wall to get up, his eyes like dark blue orbs of ice. Jarod just sat staring at Samantha, looking a bit taken aback.

"Orion, what is this?" Dominic looked to the Alpha for an explanation. When he didn't get one fast enough (Orion seemed pretty stunned by the development like everyone else), he ran over and pushed between Samantha and the twins.

Bad move.

Both Thunder and Storm snarled when they were separated from their sudden focus of attention. Of course Misty was having none of that, so she stepped in. With the altercation escalating as it was, other wolves moved in to help hold everyone off, including Augustine who was back in human form and dressed, and Clay still in his hybrid form. He went to the main fight, while Augustine focused in on Ben who looked like he was trying his damnedest not to just start throwing punches. By the time Kate got her bearings on what was happening and where she would be needed most, it was on the brink of becoming a full-blown brawl.

Finally, Orion and Sol stepped in, their Alpha voices stilling everyone with a single "KNOCK IT OFF!".

Dominic and Garrett had maneuvered Samantha so that she was behind them. Storm and Thunder were opposite them, growling and a second from shifting. Between them were Clay, June, and Dagwood holding the two angry wolves back, and Misty was with Jarod holding back Dominic and Garrett. Everyone was yelling and cussing and either trying to throw punches or grabbing fists to stop them. With the Alpha's command, Clay was able to shove back the twins back a few feet and the two human men backed down somewhat. Dominic looked ready to reengage at any second.

"Back down, Dominic." Orion stepped in between the two sides.