Sam Spade 09: Case of the Lady in White

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Thanks for all your work Alvin," Momma said before turning to me, "If you don't mind, I would like to rest a bit with Kitten." I could see the questions in her mind and mentally gulped. As Alvin and Jasmine were making their way out, I could hear a ruckus in the foyer. Looking at me Momma said, "Saved by the bell." She threw on a robe and got up to see what was going on with me following in cat form.

We found Angela and company had managed to capture three of the four men I had sent her after. However, it was not without cost. Angela looked like she had been in a car accident, her clothes shredded. Tigress was walking on three legs, Jade had a nasty cut on her cheek, and one of Crystal's arms was hanging by her side. Even so, they kept a sharp eye on the three men before them.

"What the hell is going on?" Momma asked Angela.

Angela gestured with her pistol at the men before her, "Kitten sent us out to collect these. She said they were the ones that took Lady and that you would want to question them."

Momma looked at me hard, "Oh she did, did she?" Looking back at the men for a long moment she stepped up to one, "I remember you..." Turning away she said, "Bring them along." With everyone following, she went down to where Lady and Arianne were sleeping. Not knocking she opened the door and stepped in. Waking Lady, she said, "Sorry to wake you, but we may have found your kidnappers."

As the door opened, both the vampires seem to open their eyes. It seemed they were fully awake and not dilly-dallying like momma and the sisters do sometimes when they first arise. Lady nodded her head to say she understood. I looked to see Arianne stretch and tilt her head as she saw the men. There was a low hiss coming from her as well, until Lady gestured. Arianne quieted down at once.

Momma looked at the captives; their hands tied behind their back and said, "Kneel over there."

When they made no move to comply Jade hit one in the lower back with the butt of her shotgun and said, "Move!"

Once they were in place Momma said, "Go get it taken care of," to Angela and the others. Angela opened her mouth to protest but a hard look from momma stopped her in her tracks. Not speaking they left, leaving Momma, Lady, her daughter, and I alone with the three men. Looking down at me momma said softly, "When this is over, you and I will have to have a long talk Kitten." I could feel her confusion, anger, worry, and love all swirl in her mind about me.

Moving to the first one, she looked at him and said, "Remember our parting words?" He shook his head sullenly, "I said that if I ever saw you again I will kill you. Well, today is your lucky day." She leaned back against the bed and said, "I want to know who hired you?"

"What are you going to do bitch?" the man spit out. "Kill me? You ain't got it in you Spade. I know all about you." He sneered as he added, "Or are you going to sic that old crone and her pup on us."

I saw Arianne look up at the words and wanted to rush him right there, again, Lady gestured and Arianne stilled. I could tell she wanted to tear them apart and who could blame her for what they did to Lady.

I must admit I was rather mad at that point, hissing and growling at him. However, momma just shook her head, "Sticks and stones." As she smiled, I could feel the icy fingers of death in her mind, "No I am going to let you walk out. All you have to do is get past that old crone as you call her." She looked at Lady and asked, "Hungry?"

Lady licked her lips as she nodded. Flowing off the bed, she stood and stretched. I knew she was different, a drinker of blood now. Nevertheless, in my mind she was still the little girl I knew long ago. In a soft musical voice, she said, "Old, you don't know old boy."

Moving to one side Momma untied the man's hands and took a step back. As she was gesturing towards the door, he launched himself at Lady. It was over faster than I could see. From where I stood, it seemed as if he reached to pull her into a bear hug, turned around, bent down, and offered his neck to her. She latched on to him, his scream echoed in the small room as she fed. I was surprised that momma stood off to one side her face dispassionate as she watched.

The body hit the floor with a wet thud as Lady let go. Smiling she wiped the blood from her face and licked at her fingers daintily. The image of a cat cleaning herself after dinner struck me. The sounds of pounding from the door came softly. Without speaking, I looked at momma and then walked through the door. On the other side of the door, everyone in the house stood armed as they tried to break through the door. Changing form, I said softly, "Please stop that, Momma is busy."

Alvin looked at me, "Kitten what the hell is going on in there!"

"Momma and Lady talking to men." I said simply before going back in. Behind me, I could hear Alvin asking who Lady was.

By the time I got in, the second man was loose and Arianne was taunting him. "Call me a pup will you?" She launched an attack that left him bloody before dancing out of his reach again. Arianne seemed to be playing with him, almost like a I would with a mouse.

This went of a few minutes before Lady said, "That's enough dear." With those words, she moved in close to the dazed man and drained him. Unlike Lady's dainty drinking, Arianne's was loud and disturbing. It seemed done on purpose.

Looking at the last man, momma said, "Tell me what I want to know, and you have my word you will make it out alive."

Arianne looked disappointed and shocked that momma was going to let him go. She moved at him to tease him.

The man stunk of fear, "She'll kill me."

"She may, but I will make you wish you are dead. Why did you take Lady, and who are Namah and Pasht?" Momma said. When she said Pasht I felt my heart freeze up. I wanted to run but I was frozen in place. I had not heard that name in years. She had called me that. It was HER name for me, her little joke.

The man actually laughed, "Why don't you ask her?" as he gestured towards me. "You know all about the goddess. She is waiting for your return Pasht, you have been a naughty kitty all these years and the goddess has special plans for you." His laughter rose in tone and turned shrill.

His laughter broke off when momma grabbed and started shaking him. "Where is she?" she said as she shook him.

Looking at her, he gave her an address. He added, "You can kill me now Spade, the goddess will welcome me into her court."

My heart was beating a mile a minute. Could she still be alive? Still trying to find the elixir of immortality? I came back to reality as momma opened the door and pushed the man through. "Get this bag of shit off my property and make sure he makes it to the gate."

She was going to let him go. I could not believe it. Transforming in place I looked at momma, "Why let go?"

Momma replied somberly, "I gave my word." She paused and a smile crept across her features, "Of course once he is past the front gate, all bets are off." Hearing that I knew what I needed to do. Porting to the other side of the gate, I waited for the man. He would not make it more than a few feet if I had my way.

Right on cue, Angela showed up escorting the man. Once she pushed him out the gate, I pounced. Even so he was stronger than I expected and lighting fast. In the time, it took her to reopen the gate and come to my rescue he had me in a bear hug and was intent in squeezing me in two. Through my pain-filled howls, I saw an apparition appear behind him. It was Jason, he took in the situation in a glance and rushed the man from behind.

Arianne came out of the shadows, passed Angela like she was standing still, and in a flash stood with the man in her grasp. She was hissing at him as he struggled in her hold. Like a lightning strike, her free hand ripped out the man's throat. She let him go and he stumbled backwards, into Jason. Jason did something to him from behind. It was not until he fell that I saw parts of his spine had been ripped out with superhuman strength. Gasping for breath, I looked up at them and said, "Thank you."

Arianne had a satisfied grin as she nodded to Jason and Angela. She gave me a smile and a wink. Something that started raw and from jealously, now turned into a kinship between us. We had Lady in common and I understood now just how far she would go to protect her. Helping me up she asked, "Are you okay Kitten?"

Angela looked down at the remains of the man, "Ewwww..." and said, "Nice kill both of you."

Jason nodded towards Arianne and turned a smile on Angela as he bent down to clean his hand on the dead man's flannel shirt, "Thanks," He looked at the three of us standing together and added, "I need to see Sam, its important."

Chapter 11 -- Sam's viewpoint

When both had left, I looked at Lady and laughed, "I wonder who will get him first, Kitten or Arianne?" Her tinkling laughter in reply sounded like music to my ears. Glancing down at the remains as they seemed to dissolve and disappear I said to myself, "At least cleaning up will be easy." Going to the door, I opened it and said, "Heather, would you please get one of my robes for Lady please?" Looking at everyone still gathered I added, "Don't you have anything better to do then to listen at the door?" The girls and Alvin made their way out of the cellar as Heather came back with a royal blue silk robe.

"Will this work mistress?" she asked.

"Yes dear, thank you." I said as I took it from her. "Lady?" I said as I handed it to her. "Shall we go up to the office? I believe we have much to discuss."

Lady smiled sweetly and said, "Of course Samantha." She put the robe on and followed me out. Seeing the size of the wine cellar, she stopped dead and looked around. She looked at me with questions in her eyes.

Shrugging I said, "Heather's father and grandfather seemed to have a thing for wines. You name it; odds are there is a bottle or two here." Standing to one side of us Heather blushed. "Heather, could you see that the infirmary is cleaned please." Not speaking she nodded and went in to the room. She popped out a moment later looking around before going back in. No doubt she was wondering where the other two men went.

"This way," I led Lady up the stairs and through the kitchen. Reaching the grotto, I stopped once more so she could admire the room. I had always loved this room; the trees, the sound of the water, it was a peaceful place.

"Oh Samantha, it's beautiful," Lady said breathlessly.

Rather than giving her a tour of the house, I led her to my office. Going over to the bar I poured myself a bourbon on the rocks and looked at Lady, "May I offer you something to sip on?"

She nodded, "What you're having looks good."

Pouring her a drink, I handed it to her before sitting down behind the desk. Lighting up a cigar I leaned back. "What do you remember of what happened?" Normally I would be taking notes but this time I just sipped the bourbon and puffed on the cigar as Lady told her story. In truth, I was only half listening to her; I was thinking about Kitten, what had the man meant when he said the goddess was looking for her.

Lady just reached the point where we rescued her when there was a knock on the door. A moment later Jasmine showed Arianne, Kitten and Jason in. "Jason," I said standing and coming around to hug him, "What brings you out here?"

Jason looked at Lady and then at me, "Perhaps this is a bad time?"

"Please forgive me, Lady, this is Jason. He is an old friend of mine. Jason, this is Lady, Arianne's mother." I went behind the desk and sat down. "No somehow I expect your entrance is somehow important." I looked at him a moment, "So I ask again, what brings you here?" As Jason spoke, Kitten turned into a black cat and jumped into my lap.

Looking directly at me, Jason took a deep breath and let it out with a sigh, "Well, Sam, since you have vampires here, I'm guessing that they are part of this case and the names you asked me about. I found that one of the names is... Namah is an ancient name for Maradith, and..." Jason takes a shuddering breath before he speaks again. "Sam, she's missing."

"Missing?" I asked I looked at him a moment, "How the hell do you lose a succubus?" Lady's reaction was classic; I could almost see her shifting away from him.

Jason looked embarrassed, "Sam, if I knew that, I wouldn't be here right now. She received a call from Dark Desires, and came here to take care of something. I came to see you when they told me they never called or seen Maradith. Leanne, you remember her?" I nodded frowning, that case still left a bad taste in my mouth. "Don't worry Sam, she is working in the kitchen." Jason said calming my fears.

"Thank you for that," I said softly.

"Anyways, she knew the name. It seems that Naamah," He spelled it out with the extra "A." "Is the name of a sister of Lilith, the first wife to Adam, who became the first and greatest succubus." He sighed and looked at his hands, "It has to be Meradith's ancient name."

Nodding I looked down to the black cat on my lap, "Ok Kitten, you're on"

Kitten transformed and snuggled against me, "Kitten not understand Momma." When I did not reply she sighed and said, "Ok momma." Resting her head against my shoulder, she spoke softly, "Momma knows about bad human woman who changed me and made me what I am. She used to call me Pasht. It was her idea of a joke to name me after a cat goddess."

She went on to tell about her times with the woman, being the subject of horrible experiments. I have seen many things in my life and done many more, even so, Kitten's description of experiments turned my stomach. Looking across the desk, I saw I was not the only one affected by her descriptions. The others without exception were as horrified as I was. Stroking her head, I said, "Shhh, its ok Kitten... You're safe now. I won't let anything happen to you."

"You don't understand... She knows I'm here... She won't ever stop trying to get me back," Kitten said shivering against me.

"She will if she is dead," Jason said. I looked up at him and knew he was right. I would have to go and deal with the woman myself. I looked at Lady and after a moment nodded once. It dawned on me that when I looked at Jason, his eyes were as black as the onyx desk he was sitting behind in Nevada. Quickly looking back at him I saw his eyes were normal.

"Arianne, would you be a darling and go get my weapons and some clothes please. And tell Blaine not to wait up for us," She said looking at her daughter. Arianne looked as if she was going to protest. Instead, she bowed her head, "Of course mother," and disappeared. She looked at Kitten sitting on my lap and said in a soft gentle voice, "Midnight, we will protect you." I felt kitten's mind touching mine asking before she pounced across the desk and hugged Lady.

Lady looked startled but soon settled down stroking the cat woman. She looked up after a moment and said, "I know this woman Samantha. When I was a human child, a witch woman lived on our lands. Father though he hated her was too afraid to do anything against her." She paused, lost in the memories of her childhood, "Her name... Car... um... Carlita." Lady looked up at me and said finally, "If it is the same woman... then it would seem her experiments were successful."

Standing I said, "Please excuse me." Going out into the hall, I found Angela standing guard at the door. Not looking at her, I headed to my bedroom. Of course, she followed. I wanted nothing more than to crawl into some latex and play; however, I threw on my suit instead. The clothes without the feel of latex against my skin felt wrong and made me irritable. "You heard?"

"Yes Mistress, we will be ready in five minutes." Angela said.

"This is not your fight Angela. You, Alvin and the girls do not have to go." I said tucking dad's old 45 into its holster.

"Yes it is Sam. Kitten is part of our family and no one fucks with family." She said calmly. "Will you like to speak with everyone before we go?"

I looked at her and nodded. Family, the term had real meaning to me now. "We've come a long way since you and I first met haven't we Angela." I said stopping her at the door.

She looked at me and said with a small smile, "Yes Samantha, we have at that." She gave me a small kiss and hug before hurrying out of the room.

"Will you go show Lady to a bedroom where she can change and see if Jason needs anything please?" I asked as I walked into the living room.

"Yes mistress."

Walking into the living room, I found, to my surprise, all of my girls and Alvin standing around waiting for me. Looking at them, I felt a surge of emotion choking me up. Hiding it, I walked over to my chair and grabbed a cigar. Stroking the old chair, I stood with my back to everyone. "I am sure you know; I have to go deal with an issue." You could have heard a pin drop. "The woman, who took Lady, now has, we believe, Maradith. She also wants Kitten."

"Ok so let's kill the bitch and get Maradith," Alvin's voice spoke up. I turned around in shock. He thrust his chin out. "You heard me Sam. No one messes with family; you of all people should know that."

Looking away, I said softly, "Jade, you, Tigress, Crystal, and Jamie stay here." Jamie had never been in a fight before and the other three were hurt.

"No mistress, please!" Jamie spoke up.

I had expected Jade to be the one to speak out, not Jamie. When I looked at her she continued, "Please don't leave me. Haven't I..." she looked at the others and added, "...we proved ourselves to you enough?"

Crystal spoke up, "It only takes one hand to fire a pistol." She slipped her arm from the sling and started flexing her fingers.

I looked at Jade; she stood holding a shotgun and shook her head. "I will stay if you order it mistress. However, if it is going as bad as you expect. Then I would rather die by your side then live without you."

Looking down at Tigress's eyes begging me, I felt my will crumble. "Very well you win."

With one thing and another, it was a good thirty minutes before we finally got on the road. The drive, while pleasant, was made in silence. I had expected the address to lead us to a rundown abandoned warehouse. Instead, the drive ended at a five and dime store. Its plate glass windows mirrored and a sign over the top declaring it as the Church of the One True Goddess. Looking it over I realized the setup sucked. There was only one entrance and if they were waiting, we would be hit as soon as we walked through the door. Looking around I said, "Give me two minutes and come in."

Not waiting for replies, I opened the door and walked in. The inside looked as if it had been gutted. On the far side of the room was three steps leading up to a raised platform and on it a golden throne. This side of the platform was a double row of rectangular stone boxes with one sitting alone in the center. Other than the spotlights on the throne and the boxes, the room was filled with shadows. As I walked forward, I realized the stone boxes were in reality coffins. On the lid of each was a green gem. With the exception of the center one, the gems were all dull or faintly glowing. The center's stone was pulsating like a green glowing heart.

'This is it...' I thought to myself as I reached up and pushed the lid to the side. To my surprise I found Maradith laying there in her true form. However, instead of looking lovely and desirable, she looked shrunken and old. Around her wrists and ankles were rosaries, the little beads and crosses sizzling where they touched her skin. Reaching down I tore them off and tossed them to the floor. Her eyes opened and she looked up at me in confusion. "It's ok Maradith, you're safe now."

"You saved me? Why?" she replied in a broken voice.

"Because friends save friends, and you dear, are my friend," I said stroking her cheek.