All Comments on 'Sandy'

by bobbythree

Sort by:
  • 22 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
To which she wrote back

Tom who?

CrkcpprCrkcpprover 6 years ago
Ok then

I'm sure most of us have had that one person who we lost through the passage of our lives , and I'm not talking about those who have passed . But to go into such detail as you had your protagonist do in an email is , well , it's kind of creepy .

I actually liked the monologue of your protag , but I think it would have been better served to have had them to meet in an accidental way , and then have a nice conversation. But that's just my opinion and we all know about those .

The conversation was enjoyable though . Kinda made me think of that old Don Henley song ' Boys of Summer ' . Wasn't that from '83 ?

LordSlamdawggLordSlamdawggover 6 years ago
Playing guisard " its been a long time "card

As oblivion approaches , the narrator loses his nerve and sends up SOS flare to old flame hoping against hope she can save him from the void. This is a flash story , so I won't harp on lack of character or plot development . The guy confesses to being a shmuck so why pile on the brick-a-bracks ?

I don't know if Sandy had any lingering doubts , she was doing the right thing breaking up with Tom almost 3 decades ago. A missive like this one should erase them once and for all. The author did a fine job of portraying a wishy washy , 'woe is me' individual. Definitely not a pro-active soul in terms of counting his blessings - not a gratitude journal keeper.

Personally I believe that if things had gone penultimately well with Sandy ...marriage , kids house in burbs with proverbial picket fence, he would still be awash in self pity and rebuking himself for not breaking up with known quantity of Sandy and exploring that exotic and unknown charms of Kim. Please don't ask me how I know this .

I thank bobbythree for sharing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
No wonder she dumped him.

She already has a pussy so why would she need another one!?!

In one paragraph he says hiw he would never cheat on Kim and in the next talks about how lonely he is. Then fix your fucking marriage or end it but dont whine about it!

And if hes still madly in love with her after 28 years, shes better off without him.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
1*

illiterate shit.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Kinda makes a man think

If you have no flashbacks into your past I feel for you. While not my method to rekindle a relationship from the past, sure makes a person wonder...

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago

Reading this is like checking into a motel and finding someone left a turd in the toilet.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago

He never told her.

This smacks of reality. And regret.

I would love to read her reaction.

JimC

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
You Left Me Flat!

Really good story. A couple of grammar issues, but on the whole, well-written. BUT...You never told us what happened. I hate that when an author leaves me hanging. Are you planning a part 2????? You have an awesome opportunity here to explore and develop her Sandy's character.

Please don't let this be the end. When I read stories like this, I need closure.

tazz317tazz317over 6 years ago
DEAR OLE SCHOOL DAZE

why reminiss about old crushes, old tears, old what never happened, TK U MLJ LV NV

rightbankrightbankover 6 years ago
regret, remorse,

remembering

If only

what if

He hesitated when they met, probably waited for her when they were together, and stood back passively when she broke it off.

He chose the lesser degree at uni, made one effort having kids, earned a salary that was enough. He settled.

She didn't. That's probably why she chose to move up and out. If she's lucky his e-mail will go straight to her spam folder.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
What a fucking loser!

No wonder he has no idea why Sandy broke up with him. This guy is so self absorbed and shallow that even his wife can't get close to him. And of course its everyone else's fault. I have to agree with him, why did Kim every agree to marry him?

Pathetic.

etchiboyetchiboyover 6 years ago
Been there...

... done that. Found my first girlfriend online a few months back. You know why she’s there? There were photos of her and her daughter’s COLLEGE graduation. God, am I that old? I guess so. She is still gorgeous. Doesn’t look 54; maybe mid-40s. Her half Asian blood gave her her exotic looks, and made her age well. Oh, and her husband? A fighter pilot, then test pilot for the military. Boy, isn’t that one of the most boyhood dreamed of jobs. Even better than policeman, fireman or a GI Joe (my dad was career Army)... to have the “Right Stuff.” Sigh...

thecarolinadreamerthecarolinadreamerover 6 years ago
DIFFERENT FOR SURE!

As it stands right now this is in the wrong category, but a sequel in which Sandy answers and maybe she has her doubts and they get together might make it a suitable LW story. AS it stands, maybe ‘Romantic’ would be a better fit.

To those who made comments on the hero’s lack of character: you’ve said much more about yourself than you did about Tom.

I join with the few others who request you finish what you started here, and if you don’t, at least give someone else the okay to finish the story. It’s rich with threads you could follow. Tom and Sandy could have a one night fling; Tom and Sandy could meet, decide they had made the right decision after all and go back to working of their marriages, (still wouldn’t be LW material); Tom and Sandy could both divorce and marry each other…just to name a few.

Good Luck cd

Chief3BlanketChief3Blanketover 6 years ago
Hum

A good start on a more complete story. In short finish the story.

patilliepatillieover 6 years ago
Interesting

But need a conclusion. How did Sandy respond, if she did?

26thNC26thNCalmost 5 years ago
Not sure

Not sure about this.one, but I think he's telling Sandy he married the wrong woman.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Sad story

@patillie, I doubt she ever would reply. There'd be no point as he was clearly still hung up on her and would see it as encouragement. He said something along the lines of, "I see you married Joe," implying that he knew this Joe person even back then, that Sandy found the man she fell in love with and married over 30 years ago. She knew the MC wasn't right for her and she moved on. The tone of his email was far too self-pitying and obsessive and there would be nothing gained by talking to him again unless it was to scold him for not finding happiness when she already had.

In the end the MC was a sad, unambitious person who passive-aggressively blames Sandy for his life being shitty. He married a frigid woman, knowing full well what she was like and no doubt subconsciously in order to punish Sandy. The fact that she didn't approve of his relationship with Kim was the major attraction for him. By the time they'd all graduated he married her because he was lazy and she was a known commodity, then he stubbornly stayed with her for years despite being miserable and lonely. In his mind he blamed Sandy for this, saying that he'd never find anyone to love like her so why bother to try, and used his children as the main excuse once Sandy was a receding memory.

In the end Tom is a classic case of passive-aggressive projection, blaming everyone else for his problems, insecurities, and inability to move forward. Yes, I feel sympathy for him having lost someone who was obviously as wonderful as Sandy was. Once you've been with someone like that it leaves a mark on you. Losing her makes you question and doubt everything about yourself, it crushes your self-worth. Having to see her all the time just makes it that much worse. Why weren't you enough for her, why didn't she love you the way you loved her, what did you do wrong, etc...? Every woman he meets after that would be compared unfairly to Sandy and he would face them with that lowered self-esteem making it difficult to find a real connection. Sandy was not responsible for his laziness, though. He didn't tell her exactly how much she loved her, he didn't try to fight to keep her or get her back, he didn't try to convince her they really were meant to be together. By the same token, she wasn't responsible for him marrying Kim, nor staying with her even though their relationship is cold and lifeless. He says that he'd never cheat on Kim but that's just more cowardice rather than actual scruples or devotion to her. From the time in college where he started dating Kim and beyond he was responsible for everything that happened in his life. Plainly said, he just stopped trying.

If this guy were a real person I would pity him. He went through a terrible loss and never pushed himself to get beyond it. That's a terrible thing to live through but he has no one to blame but himself.

MormonJackMormonJackover 3 years ago
Well done, easy to understand, but...

This is a perfect example of NOT marrying on the rebound.

A girl found she wasn't as in to you as you were to her. It's fair: she felt she needed to move on. GET OVER IT. Just don't "get over it" by getting with someone so you won't ever be hurt again. As Tom says, he may have well been divorced.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
That Went Creepy Quickly

Didn't expect that. Hope our hero gets help.

JustOneMansOpinionJustOneMansOpinionover 3 years ago
Different

I thought it was a really good story. I would liked to know Sandy's thoughts and if she replied.

Now for one of my foibles. I don't remember what the sentence was but you wrote (know) when the sentence called for now. Know is to be aware of something and now is a point in time. Then you wrote, a woman (or) your character and it should have been of. Then you said try to move (one) instead of on. Hurting (form) you, of course it should be from.

I could go on but you get my point. A simple re-read of your story will show you these little mistakes.

OK, now I will get off my soap box and say you write a good story and thank you for entertaining me.

Hiker66BikerHiker66Bikeralmost 2 years ago

This yarn is creepy. What would the MC hope to gain from sending such a creepy eMail? He should build on the positives in his life and build on them. If I was Sandy I’d ignore it and press the ‘delete’ button and block him. If Kim finds it then she should get her husband some therapy but also seek a divorce. 2 stars.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous