Saturday's Child

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"As for the obligation you mentioned," It was Carly's turn to chime in, one of two African-Americans in the house, I had expected a chip on her shoulder, but she had shocked me with her nonchalance at being a minority. "Lucas explained it to me very clearly once. He doesn't want us to feel obligated to him. He feels he is obligated to us. He has made a lot of money writing computer programs for Uncle Sam and a lot of other companies. He said there was no way he could spend that kind of money on his own and he needed to find a way to help others with it. He wanted to help people who didn't get help from other places, people who got swept under the rug."

"Like his sister." My mention of it brought a pall over the room.

"That's exactly it." Samantha said. "We are all his sister. Every one of us has a part of his sister in us. That's why he pulled us off the street, and that is why he cries when someone leaves without accepting his help."

"Look, Sister." Kenda spoke up, "We all have a lot in common. Lucas picked us all off a street corner. We were all hooking. Most of us jacked on drugs too, none of us ever expected to find a way out. Oh, yeah, every hookers dream is for a rich guy to come along and take us away.

"Lucas made it happen in a way we never dreamed. If he had asked I would have jumped in bed with him in a heartbeat. That was because I thought the only thing of value I had to give him was my body. He showed us all we were worth a lot more. He gave us more than shelter. He gave is self-esteem and dignity and he gave it to us in a way that no one will ever be able to take it away again."

I honestly felt ashamed to have questioned his motives. I wanted to crawl back to my room and hide.

It was Tammy who saved me this time, "Alright girls, I think she gets it. Let's not be too hard on her. We ALL felt the same way when he first brought us here. None of us believed he was the man he is. We all learned the hard way, so give her a break."

Everyone nodded their agreement. We spent some time talking about the girls' hopes, dreams and ambitions. I was surprised to learn that many of the girls intended to come back and teach or help out after they left the ranch. Most of the teachers on staff at the ranch were former students. It all began to make perfect sense. I could see that it would be easy for anyone to fall in love with this guy.

"So just one thing baffles me. Lucas seems like the absolute perfect gentleman. He's good looking, he's rich, and he's charming... most of the time..."

"So, why isn't he married?" Michelle interrupted, "Let me ask you something. If you didn't know what this house was about and you went out with Lucas, and he was hesitant to take you home with him, how many times would it take before you decide not to see him again?"

"Better yet," Carly said with a wave of her hand, "Say he did bring you here. You walk in and find a 'Harem', how long do you stay?"

"That's been a source of sadness around here for a long time." Tammy said, "We know he hasn't been out with a woman for a long time."

Amy looked up from her fashion magazine, "Worse yet, we know that it's because of us. We all love him and we hate knowing he's growing old alone."

Tammy laughed, "He's not THAT old, Amy."

"You know what I mean."

"Point is," Samantha continued, "He's sacrificed a lot for us and he keeps us all at that arms length to protect us all as well as his school. As much as we appreciate all he's done there is only one thing we could want for him."

"The one thing none of us can give him." All the girls nodded their agreement with Tammy.

"We just want him to be happy." Amy said, "We just want him to have a woman of his own who can give him what we can't."

"We want him to be in love." Samantha turned away as the tears rolled down her cheek.

"Alright. What's going on now?" Lucas' voice startled us all. "Is it time for a family meeting? Better question, is it time for dinner?"

As if on cue, another girl came in from the glass doors that opened to the patio and the pool. "Hey, you guys gonna eat or what? I didn't cook for hours to see a half a ton of shrimp go down the garbage disposal."

The man behind Zander stepped to the fore, "Daria, if they won't eat your cooking, you just load it into the back of my car I'll find a homeless shelter that will make good use of it. Ok, half of it. I'll eat the other half myself."

"Thanks, Bill. I don't think that will be necessary." Zander motioned to the door and the girls stampeded from everywhere. Some I hadn't seen yet. I followed at a casual pace, stopping at the doors and watching. My ears, however, were tuned to Lucas and the attorney.

"Just remember, Luke, keep Dan on the monitors and keep the girls close to the house. He doesn't have any legal grounds to stand on so he may do something desperate."

'Will do, Bill. You staying for dinner?"

"Much as I enjoy the company and Daria's cooking, I'm going to have to pass."

"Your loss. I'll give you a buzz in the morning."

"My loss, indeed. Be safe, Luke. Give the girls my apologies."

"Done. Good night, Bill."

"'Night, Luke."

I felt a strong hand on my shoulder, "Not hungry?"

"Starved." I kept my back to him, suddenly feeling very nervous.

"Well? What are you waiting for?"

My cynicism was failing me. I found it hard to believe I could feel anything, but there it was. There was a very large part of me that wanted to turn and just kiss him. I reigned in my emotions, trying to stay in control. "Just waiting for the herd to settle down so I could find a place to sit."

"If you wait that long, you'll go hungry. Come on, I'll protect you from the wolves."

"Special treatment for the new girl?"

"You might say that."

He led me into the fray, and we both took plates, it was a simple yet surprisingly elegant feast, large trays of cocktail shrimp, scallop scampi and crab salad. Various breads and crackers were laid out and my plate was filled before I could get a sample of everything.

We took seats at an empty table, eating quietly for a few minutes. I was surprised that none of the other girls attempted to join us.

"So you've talked to the other girls?"

"Yeah, I have."

He spread some crab salad on a slice of rye, eying me expectantly, "And?"

"And... I don't know what to say. When you told me what was going on here I didn't believe you. I thought you were running a brothel, or an Internet porn ring, or... or anything BUT what you told me. Then I sit down with these girls and they're studying for real. Studying things that I would have never thought of. I can't believe any of them were ever hookers, but I know they were..."

"Just like you."

"Just like me. Only different."

"Oh? How so?" He bit off another chunk of crab and rye and followed it with a can of Sprite.

"There's a lot about me you don't know." I picked at my food, unable to look him in the eye and knowing it wasn't from shame. It was because I was starting to feel something for him. It scared the shit out of me.

"There's a lot about every girl I bring here that I don't know. On the other hand, there is one thing I do know about every single one of them. They don't deserve to be living on the street. They don't deserve to be some plaything for the bastards that pick them up. They deserve better."

"So why not give them all a chance? Why not tell them all to come here and be safe?"

"I wish I could. Do you know how many girls are out there? Do you know how many show up in town every day? I'd need a hotel as big as the MGM Grand. I know there are some that I can't help. There are a lot of them. So strung out on drugs that no one can reach them. Some so afraid of being sent back to the shit hole they ran away from they won't trust anyone. I help the ones I can. That's all I can do."

"That's more than anyone else would have done."

"Maybe." He looked down at his plate and nodded, "Ok. Probably."

Our eyes locked, studying each other closely. There was a different look in his eye. Different from the way he looked at Samantha or the other girls. "So why me?"

"Honestly? I don't know. I have a full house as it is. Not that I can't afford one more girl, but the girls all sleep upstairs, the room you are in is a guest room I was about to have remodeled."

"So you saw me and just felt so sorry..."

"No. Not that at all. I was in town for a business meeting; I had no intention of taking in another girl but as I passed your corner I spotted you and had to do a double take. I wasn't sure about you. I circled the block to get a second look but when I got back you were talking to some kid."

I laughed, "Yeah, that went way wrong."

"Well, I drove off. But you were stuck in my head. I was trying to talk myself out of it for every reason. 'I don't have room. She's too old. She probably has a pimp.'"

"Too old? How old do you think I am?"

"We'll come back to that. As I got to the edge of town I found myself coming up with reasons to go back. So, I did. You were gone and I was about to put it all out of my head, but as I turned to go home I saw you come out of the motel. I went around the block one more time and picked you up. The rest you know."

"So, back to this 'She's too old.' thing."

"Put my foot in my mouth didn't I? I didn't mean it as an offense. I've been doing this a long time and I've made my mistakes. I've found that once a girl is older than about twenty my odds of changing them are severely lessened. Worse, by that age, most often, they are looking too hard at getting out of hooking by any means and usually think first of some sort of scam. When someone comes along who honestly wants to help them, all they can think of is how to take them for everything. I've been taken more than once."

"But you took a chance on me. Why?"

"Because you looked too clean."

"Too what?"

"Clean. As in drug free. You didn't look anorexic like the crack whores or have the glazed over look that most of the older hookers..."

"Ok, stop right there. Are you trying to piss me off? How old do you think I am?"

"Your right, that came out all wrong. You see? This is why I can't figure out what I was thinking. I have a house full of beautiful girls and I'm sitting here with you... And I'm digging myself a deep hole aren't I?"

"More like a stone quarry with no way out."

"I know. I know. That's what I mean. I'm sitting here and I'm nervous as hell and I don't know why."

"Well, relax. I don't bite. At least not for less than a hundred bucks."

Lucas fell back in his chair, laughing, "Good one." He put his head back and closed his eyes for a moment, "I'd love to relax, but I don't even know why I'm nervous."

I put my hand on his, "Lucas, how long has it been since you were with a woman?"

Now he looked embarrassed. He covered it fairly well, "Way too long I suppose, but what can I do? Bringing a woman here kills any relationship and worse yet it's a heartbreaker for the girls. So I gave it up."

"Lucas, I don't think the girls would be anywhere near as heartbroken as you think. We talked about that earlier." I rolled my eyes. I don't know why I thought it was my place to intervene but couldn't help it. "Actually I accused them of sleeping with you and they were rather quick to correct me. Lucas, those girls all love you. I can't blame them, as cynical as my profession has made me, I can't help but thinking I could fall for you too."

"Oh, please. I..." His face reddened.

"Don't give me that shit. Just shut up and listen. You're a great guy, with the biggest heart in the world and they know it. I do too. Do you want to know what is really breaking their hearts? You being alone because of them. All they want for you is the same thing you want for themselves. To be happy and loved."

I could see the tears welling up in his eyes, "I DO feel loved. I am loved. They all love me. You said so yourself."

"But, Lucas, that's a different kind of love. You are the big brother and father they always wanted and never had. It's a kind of love that's unconditional, but unfulfilling. You need a woman. A woman to share your life with."

"So? Tell me how am I going to find someone who doesn't think I'm an old letch as soon as they see all these girls?"

"I don't know. But there must be a way. I'm one of the most suspicious people in the world and I got past it. So if I can, anyone can."

"I just don't know..." He wiped his mouth and stood. "Sadie, I have a suspicion that you just helped me more than I could ever help you." He was lost in thought for a long moment, "My offer still stands. I would really like you to stay; I want to get to know you. You are welcome to anything I have to offer here if it will get you out of that life. Take the time to think it over. You can give me an answer on Monday."

He was gone before I could respond. Suddenly I felt the eyes of the world on me. As I looked at the other girls on the patio, I could see the verbal daggers being drawn.

Samantha was the first to throw hers. "What the fuck did you say to him?"

"Easy, Samantha, don't kill her yet. We all want a shot."

"Shut up, Tammy. Whatever she said, it wasn't good. You saw the look on his face."

"Back up a second." I put up a hand to quiet them before it turned into a riot. "I don't think anything I said really hurt him, just made him understand some things. All I said was what you told me earlier about the way you all felt about him being lonely."

"Oh, that's just great! Now he feels guilty for letting us all down! Who do you think you are?"

"Not who you think I am, Samantha. I think Lucas brought me here for a different reason. Maybe. I don't know. Just trust me a little bit here. I think things will work out for everyone. But I caused the problem, let me try to fix it."

Carly was tapping her foot, her arms crossed and her face twisted in outrage. "I think it might be better for you to get the fuck out."

"Carly! Don't you dare ever say that to one of the girls again. I doubt seriously that she did anything to be mean or hateful. Even if she did, it couldn't be worse than the things you did when you first came here."

"Tammy's right. Lucas might not have looked too happy when he left but I didn't see that he was angry or even really sad either. Just thoughtful."

"Amy's right. Let's not jump to conclusions, here. Lucas is under a lot of stress right now as it is. And that's mostly my fault..."

"Carrie, it's not your fault your father found you. Don't start feeling guilty because Lucas took you off the street and is keeping you away from that bastard that lent you his genes."

"I know, Samantha, but I hate forcing him into this position."

"Sadie, you said you are not who we think you are. What did you mean by that."

"I can't explain it all right now, but I'm not really a hooker and I'm not as young as you think. You're probably going to like me even less before I get a chance to explain it all, but believe this: I am not here to do anything that will jeopardize any of you, or Lucas, or this school... ranch... sanctuary... whatever it is. In fact, that's the last thing I want."

"What DO you want?"

"Right now? To go set things right with Lucas. Girls, I know how important he is to all of you. How much he means to you. I don't want to change that in any way, shape or form. But there are things I can do that I think will help everyone concerned here. You just have to trust me. Ok?"

"When Mr. Zander comes back out here and tells us everything is fine, then I'll trust you. But I'll give you the chance to prove it."

"I'll do my best not to disappoint any of you. But for now, try to relax and finish your dinner. I'll be back soon and I'll have Lucas with me and we'll straighten the whole thing out. I promise."

I hurried inside, ignoring the other girls' protests. In the great room I found an older and grizzled man in dirty jeans and a western shirt fiddling with a security keypad by the front door. "Are you Daniel?"

"Yes Ma'am, and you must be the new girl. What can I help you with?"

"Did you see where Mr. Zander went?"

"Yes Ma'am. He was headed for the barn. When something is bothering him he goes and talks to Zipper. From the looks of him, I'd say tonight they're going to be talking for a while."

"I hope I can help keep the conversation short. Thanks, Daniel."

"You're welcome, Ma'am." He called out as I rushed out the door. "He'll be in the smaller barn on the right."

I all but ran to the barn. I suddenly had a feeling of urgency. I know that as a cop when I get that feeling it's because something bad was going to happen. Something that might require my gun. This was different somehow. I knew that Lucas was not in any danger but I needed to get to him quickly.

The sun was just above the horizon as I entered the barn, the change in lighting made me slow, walking carefully in the unfamiliar surroundings. From the other end of the barn I heard his voice.

"What are you doing out here? You should be finishing you dinner."

"I lost my appetite. I felt bad about running you off and the other girls were going to kill me if I didn't come straighten things out with you. Besides, you promised your horse you'd introduce us."

My eyes were adjusting to the light, and I could see him in the stall, the big Palomino nuzzling the back of his head and gently nudging him forward.

"So I did. And all things considered," He grunted as the big horse pushed him harder, "I'd say he means to collect on that promise."

I smiled at him as I reached the stall. The horse pawed at the ground and bobbed his head, reaching past Lucas to sniff my hand when I offered it. I brushed his velvety nose with a few gentle strokes of my hand. He whinnied and trotted in a circle in the stall, coming back to rest his head on Lucas shoulder.

"He is one handsome guy." I said.

The horse pressed his chin into Lucas, pulling him back against his massive neck. Lucas reached his hand up hugging the big horse tightly, "I think she was talking about you, Buddy."

"Are you sure?" I said raising my eyebrows. The horse whinnied and stamped it foot again.

"Ha ha, Very funny."

"I wasn't entirely joking."

"So, I suspected. Zipper seems to approve, I guess I'll have to accept the compliment." He turned toward the horse, "Zipper, this lovely young lady is Sadie. She's going to be a guest here for a while... I hope." He turn to face me again, "Sadie, this behemoth with the odd sense of humor, is Zipper. My best friend, and the first resident here, after myself."

"Hi, Zipper." I smiled and waved, then brushed his nose again. He stepped back and gave Lucas a rather forceful shove with his nose, nearly bowling us both over.

"Alright, Zipper I get it. You approve and you want us to talk." Lucas turned and patted the horse's cheek then led me toward the doors, stopping at a large stack of hay bales. He pulled one out and sat, motioning for me to take a seat on another in front of him.

"So, my exit upset the girls and you felt guilty. Stop it. There's nothing to feel guilty about."

"Well, a part of me does anyway, but that's not the only reason I wanted to talk to you."

"Oh? What's on your mind then?"

"When you picked me up, you weren't looking for another student were you?"

Lucas grabbed at a few loose straws of hay and pulled them out, rolling them into a ball and sniffing them. "No, I don't think I was."

"You're not sure?"

"I honestly don't know what my real motives were. I saw you and something told me to stop and pick you up, but, no, I wasn't looking for another girl to take in as a student. Something about you told me you didn't belong there. But it was different than the other girls. When I saw them my only thoughts were that they deserved better than that. When I saw you I thought you were out of place. Something just didn't fit. Maybe it was the way you stood or walked. You didn't have the defeated look of a girl that had spent years on the street."