Second Chances Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Judy,

To answer your question, my recovery is going quite well, I think. My PT is Stacy and she is pushing me quite hard, but seems to be impressed with my progress thus far, though it is remarkably slow for my taste. I guess I'm just used to my body working, and it's frustrating to be starting over in some places where the muscle damage was so bad. Could be much worse though, Stacy says I'm extremely lucky to have not suffered any brain damage at all in the accident. She pointed out some other people recovering from less physical injury than me and minor brain damage; it's heart breaking to watch them struggle so. Still, it's hard to know I've still got weeks of this before I'm fully back to normal. As for active duty, it'll be a few months more at least if ever, it all depends on how I recover from the knee surgery. Stacy says being several weeks behind on therapy after the knee repair might cost me, but time will tell.

As for your job and living arrangements, glad you love your job and being closer to your sister. I suspect you know this, but I lost my close family in a fire, so take it from someone who knows, you never truly realize how much something means to you until it's gone. Cherish this time with your sister, you two may never be this close again. After all life has unexpected twists and you never know what's around the corner, but enough serious stuff.

You asked about my visitors- besides what you mentioned, some of my family from Buffalo came, and I get the feeling they were not popular. Still, it was good to see them, I haven't seen them pretty much since I booked it out of town. They haven't changed much, but it was good to see them. I would try to see them more, but they never go anywhere and I still really can't face Buffalo yet, even though it's been several years. There are just too many memories there. I've invited them out here numerous times, and I even offered to pay for their flights and hotel, but they still wouldn't come. They said it was too much, I disagree of course, but it is what it is.

As for the family, so you saw that little spectacle, did you? I hate that there were cameras, it was great to meet them, but I do wish people would stop fussing. I was only doing my job. I'm glad everything worked out and we were able to get everyone out, it doesn't always work out that way, and no one knows that better than me.

As for your last question, not to dodge it with a question, but, did you kiss me at the end? I promise I'll answer your question, if you answer mine.

While you're at it, if you could answer the following as well, I'd appreciate it. Why did you become a nurse? Why pediatrics? Any other family besides an irritating sister and an idiot of an ex-husband? Where are you originally from? What person inspires you most, and why? If you had to pick any other career than nursing what would it be? What is your favorite food? Finally, whatever possessed you to agree to the pact?

Talk to you soon,

Matt

Matt hoped he had not gotten too personal too quick with his questions, but the more he thought about her while working out that morning, the more he knew he needed to find out more about her. He may have gone too far with his last question, but he had to know whether she was kind-hearted, or just plain crazy. Hopefully he would know soon.

Matt was pleasantly surprised to receive the response that night.

Matt,

It was good to hear from you again. I'm glad your recovery is going well, or as well as can be expected under the circumstances. You are definitely in good hands with Stacy, as you say she can be tough, but she gets results. As for the 'media spectacle' as you call it, yes, I did see it, but only because Eileen told me about it beforehand. So, don't worry, it's not such a big spectacle people here in San Francisco are too aware of it. People fussed over you while you were out, too, and not just the outside world, I swear, most of the nurses watching you were half in love with you, I'm surprised you have not noticed.

I'm glad you got to meet the family and got a little recognition, you deserve it, not everyone could, or would have done what you did for those people. As you said, you, of all people, should know that better than anyone. You are an incredible man Matt, I barely know you, and I know that much. I do love the humility though, it says a lot about you and all of it good. 😊

Speaking of your family, I did hear about the accident from Ray. I expect you hear this a lot Matt, but I was truly saddened to hear about it. I myself have lost someone close, so I know the feeling of losing one person, I can only imagine how much worse it would be to lose everyone all of the sudden like that. It says a lot about you that you got back up and persevered, Matt, again not everyone could have done what you did. I think you are more amazing than you give yourself credit for Matt, truly.

As for my sister, I wasn't complaining about her, we are actually incredibly close, we've had to be since we lost my dad. So, to answer one of your questions, it's pretty much been her, mom, and me most of our lives. We never really had much extended family anyways, and what family we did have was out of state or not talking to one of my parents for some reason or another. My dad died when I was 11, it was very sudden and unexpected, and ever since it's been the three of us against the world.

You asked where I'm from, well I guess the answer is California, as I've kind of lived all over the state. I'm originally from Northern California, that's where I spent the first 11 years of my life, but when dad died we decided to move. Kind of like Buffalo for you, it just became too hard for us to stay there in dad's shadow. Since then, we've kind of hopped around Southern California, depending on where Mom could get work. For a while we were spread out with my sister in LA, me in San Diego, and my mom in San Francisco, but now that my sister and I were able to move back together we are all in the same town again, which is nice. As you may have gathered, moving here means I see my mom more too, which was also the reason why I was so excited about this job.

You asked whom I admired most and why, it's definitely her. Simply because of what she went through to make sure my sister and I still had a good life after Dad died. I only realized, after my divorce, what a crater that must have left in her life. She sometimes worked two jobs for us, and did her best to keep us in one place as much as possible, moving was always a last resort. Even then when we had to move she made it sound like a fun adventure every time. Even when we were teenagers and unwilling to leave our friends, she somehow made us excited for a new town. She is the most amazing person I know, I owe everything I am to her.

As for why nursing? I simply could not imagine being anything else I guess. I get to help kids every day, and I love it. I love kids, which is why pediatrics, I always wanted a big family with lots of kids, maybe because mine was so small growing up, but alas fate intervened and it cannot be so. As I said, I could not imagine doing something else other than what I'm doing, this truly is my dream job. If I had to pick something else it would still be something that involved helping kids, so maybe a teacher? I don't know, and I hope never to need to figure that out, since I love what I do so much.

As for your first question, I'll bite, but you have to answer me now about the angel thing. Yes, I did in fact kiss you before I left, and I thanked you for some reason. Do you remember me doing that? If so, how much else do you remember?

As for why I did it in the first place, I'm still not sure I know why I did it, even now. I think part of it was the stuff I mentioned above, part of it was that your friend really did a great job selling how great a guy you were. It did not hurt that I was quitting and leaving town to take my current job. So, kind of a mix of things really. I am surprisingly glad I did it though.

I think that answers all of your questions, wait, no, I missed one. My favorite food has to be sushi, though I'm not super brave, I don't really eat the super raw stuff, but I love a good sushi place. How about you, let me guess... Buffalo wings? 😉

No, but seriously, favorite food, I'd ask most of your questions back at you, but I already know most of the answers. I would like to know the person you most admire, though. Since I already know so much about you, thanks to Ray, tell me five things about you that you don't think I already know. Not lame stuff mind, good things, in fact for every good fact from you I'll give you one in return about me. So, make them good because if I get lousy ones, you get five lousy ones back.

Patiently awaiting my answers,

Judy

Matt smiled at the email and after a nap, determined to meet her challenge, he called Ray to find out what she knew. After he talked to Ray he realized the task was kind of impossible, so he decided to change the game on her slightly, hoping she was willing to play along.

Judy,

Great as always to hear from you, you are becoming a bright spot in my day. Stacy keeps wondering what I'm always smiling about while I work out. I might have to tell her one of these days since it seems like you two know each other. As for the attention I'm getting, deserved or not, I hate the spotlight; there are guys I work with that love it, I am not one. I'm not in this to be the hero, I was in it to save people.

As for your family, sorry to hear about your dad, even though it was so long ago, it sucks to lose someone that important so early in your life. I'm glad you are enjoying your time with your sister, by the way does she have a name, or are we just going to keep calling her 'your sister'? I feel like I'm getting to know her nearly as much as I am you, and I don't know her name. I digress though, I didn't mean to imply you weren't appreciative of your time together, I guess I just say that to everybody, since I learned that lesson about family and loss about the hardest way possible. On that note I appreciate the sympathy, it means you're a caring person, but don't feel too sorry for me, I'm ok, for the most part. Sometimes bad things just happen to good people, something I believe you are familiar with thanks to your ex.

Yes, I have noticed the nurses thing, though really I noticed the changes to the rotation for my room. Your friend Eileen told me it's because so many of the younger nurses were neglecting other patients to be in my room. Again, I don't see it, but I suppose that's a part of the charm. I already seem to have the eye of the only nurse I really wanted to get to know anyways.

Sounds like you had an interesting time growing up, though I'm glad I had a boring one place childhood. I certainly would not have wanted to spend my teen years moving around my home state. A California girl that like sushi, what a surprise, never would have seen that coming. 😊

It's cool though, sushi has grown on me since I've been out here. No, wings are not my favorite food, I like Italian food best, followed by a good steak probably. On your joke, though, since everyone makes that assumption- since I moved out here I've been working on my wings recipe. I've been told it's actually pretty good; as I've never really had it I would not know, not being big on spicy food myself.

That's cool about your mom, she sounds like an amazing lady, I understand where you get it from. The person I admire most is probably my grandpa, since he moved to Buffalo with practically nothing and built a successful business and a family. I guess that's kind of what I'm trying to do by coming out here, be like him. I try not to view it as running away, but starting from scratch I guess. He's the only one I'd have gone back home to see, but he died a couple of years before the fire.

That's great that you enjoy what you do so much you can't imagine doing anything else. It's a shame more people can't find that. One thing did strike me though, why not with the kids? Is it because of the divorce? You still have time, I don't get the impression you are too old to have kids. Ray probably told you I want a big family, too, so I totally get your reasons even though not everyone these days does.

Now to your questions. Yes, I do remember, you were in a dream I had right before I woke. It was so real I half expected to wake and find you there in the room. I dreamed that this angel with your face came to my room and saved me. I was sure it was my imagination running wild until Ray showed me a picture of you. That's when I knew I had to email you, to thank you. You really did save me Judy, so thank you. As for the other stuff, I don't remember specifics but you could say some of the symbolism heavily implied some part of me knew what you were doing. In case you were worried, it was definitely not the conscious part of me. I did not know about the pact being fulfilled until I woke and asked Ray about it. I still don't know how far you went, that's always up to the person fulfilling the pact.

I already answered your other questions so I'll move on to your challenge, but I'm going to change the rules slightly. From now on, in addition to other questions asked I will give you a favorite thing, a thing I dislike or a pet peeve, a hope, a secret, and a fear each message. Not to make demands, but if you find these satisfactory, I'd like the same from you each message. As a measure of good faith that you are a fair woman, I'll go first.

My favorite season is Fall, since it was the fun time before the snow came in Buffalo, and had two of the best holidays of the year. My parents loved Halloween and always hosted Thanksgiving, so they always went all out for both. A pet peeve of mine is people not using common sense around fire and flammable objects. You'd be amazed at the number of fires we respond to that began because people were oblivious to common sense dangers in their home. My hope is to, in addition to have a couple of kids someday, adopt a few dogs as well. We help with pet adoption fairs all the time, and I have to admit, every time I go there is at least one dog that steals my heart. Owning one in my small apartment, with my schedule, would be too cruel to the dog... someday, though. My secret is despite this reputation I seem to have as some kind of dreamy stud, I've only had one serious relationship and had sex with two women, three depending on how far you went. The relationship was in college and she was my first, my other was a girl I met when I first moved here that I had a casual thing with while I was still working through my grief. That never turned into anything real and was a disastrously bad idea, but I wasn't in a good place when I started that. For fears, I won't mention the obvious one, so I'll start small, snakes freak me out. I don't know if I'm actually afraid of them per say, but they freak me out.

Well, that's all I have, hopefully that's enough to please the judge. Hope to hear from you soon as always.

Matt

That night as he went to sleep he reflected on the message wondering if he had overshared or overstepped, but he guessed time would tell. There was no reply the next day or the next, and Matt began to worry if he had scared her off after all. He had all but given up hearing from her by the third night when he found he had a message waiting for him from her.

Matt,

I'm so sorry it's been a few days, and after you said those nice things about my emails cheering you up. I feel like a complete bitch, but it's been a crazy couple of days. One of the other nurses on the hospital rotation had to go out of town suddenly, and they needed someone to fill in the past few days. I volunteered since I could use the money, so I've been on double shifts the past two days, I barely had time to sleep much less respond. They finally sent me home this morning, since I was yawning so much. I collapsed when I finally got home, and I've just woken, and since I promised myself I'd get back to you as soon as I could, here I am in bed replying.

As I said it was very sweet of you to say that about my emails, I have to admit I've begun to look forward to your messages as well. I won't argue with you about all the attention, as you say the fact that you don't see it makes it all the more endearing really. As for having my eye you certainly do, and don't you forget it, buddy, or you might lose it.

Thank you for the kind words about my Dad, it was a long time ago, but I do still miss him a lot. I wish I had gotten the chance to know him better.

Yes, my sister has a name, it's Rosie, and we are having a blast together for the most part. Do not worry about having caused any offense, as you say, I understand. Having your ex wreck your life for some twit that left him a few months later, does tend to put stuff into perspective for you. Life hopping around had its fun, mostly because Mom made it so. She is pretty impressive in her own way, but it sounds like so was your grandpa. Was he your mom's, or dad's dad, if you don't mind me asking?

As for the food, how did I know that would get a comment from you? Sorry about the bad joke, though I kind of could not resist. Cool about you learning to make wings, though. Do you like to cook? Are you any good?

On the no kids thing, the answer is simple, I figured out I'm infertile. So, that kind of put an end to that dream. Kind of hard to have a big family when you can't ever get pregnant. The funny thing is I love kids so much and everyone tells me I have the body type to have kids, whatever that means, but I can't have them. Fate is cruel sometimes.

That's cool that you remember some of it, I would not have expected that, but given you woke soon after I guess I should not be too surprised. I will say I'm definitely no angel, especially given what I was doing at the time to a sleeping man. In answer to your not so subtle probing I did fulfill the terms of the pact as written, I am a woman of my word after all. As for saving you, I don't think that's how states like you were in work, but I did seem to have a direct effect on your consciousness, or just really good timing maybe. If I did have a hand in it you are most welcome.

I actually love your suggestion, it's very creative, I'll definitely start ending my messages that way, too. Though it should be easier for me since you know much less about me. 😊

On your five things, I've never experienced a real Fall being from the state of near perpetual Summer, but it sounds like a nice season, very cool about the family traditions by the way. I can understand that about fire safety, that has to be just maddening. I love dogs too, I myself have almost brought a puppy home from one of those fairs myself, though my reason is I could not afford one and worked far too much. Perhaps we crossed paths without knowing it at one of those events. I'm in sort of the same boat experience-wise though I dated one other guy before my ex-husband, but I've now only had sex with two guys. I'm with you on the snakes, definitely shifty.

Now for mine, my favorite non-sushi food is Italian, so we have that in common. Rosie showed me this awesome place here, I'll take you if you ever come visit. My pet peeve is similar to yours, patients who don't pay attention to their health. It's probably the single most important thing you have and people just take it for granted, when a few simple steps could make a huge difference. A hope of mine has always been to adopt a child in need, even before I found out about my condition, I wanted to. It's ironic perhaps that that's now the only way I might be a mom. My secret is that, despite being unconscious, you are probably the best sex I've ever had, and certainly the biggest I've had. Don't get a big head about it, though. I hate arrogant men, especially since the idiot was one. My biggest fear is that I'll never be a mom at all, it's a stupid fear since I'm really starting to love the life I've rebuilt for myself, but there it is.