Second Chances Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

On that note, I'm going to sign off and get some more sleep I think. Before I go, though, I wanted to mention that I have to come down to San Diego for a work thing next week, and I was wondering if I could come visit you. I'd love to be able to talk to you face to face after all these emails, maybe even get you out of the facility for a little bit, if Stacy thinks you're up to it. It sounds like you are doing really well, probably because you were in good shape before, so the muscle loss isn't near as severe as it would be for others. Let me know your thoughts.

Judy

After rereading the message a few times Matt smiled, then began composing his reply in his head. Unable to sleep he set to typing.

Judy,

Don't worry about it at all, I totally get it, I've had those kinds of days at the firehouse and even during a former life during tax season. It's good to know you weren't blowing me off though, I'm glad you enjoy this as much as I do. I really like talking to you. Anyways, thank you for getting back to me, and believe me I won't forget my angel anytime soon. I have eyes for no one else.

As for you and Rosie, glad you are enjoying things, it's really great you two are so close, I've known plenty of sisters that aren't. We even had one arson case where one sister tried to burn down the other's house. As for my grandpa, no I don't mind, it was my Mom's dad.

Like you said, I could not resist either, especially after that buffalo wings dig you made at me. As for the cooking, unfortunately I don't cook that often. Ray is actually kind of the fire house chef, his Italian grandmother used to conscript him into helping her cook stuff, and he learned a lot. Ray is actually the reason I love Italian food so much, he makes some good stuff. I can grill quite well, though, which out here can be a year-round thing.

As for the infertile thing, that sucks Judy, I'm sorry, really. It is painfully ironic that that happens to people who want and are able to do something, then sometimes can't for unforeseen reasons. What you said in your latest is really giving me a better picture of your ex, and he's a royal idiot in my opinion. He really did not deserve you if he was going to cut bait on you at the first big test like that. When you needed his support most, he hurt you the worst way possible. I am truly sorry you had to go through that Judy, you're worth a hundred times more than a guy like that could ever understand, and don't ever doubt that.

As for your big family, you can still have it you know, and you already said the solution with the adoption thing. You could be a hero to several kids who need homes, Judy. Adoption is something I've always wanted to do as well, so I understand your hope. I would not worry about being a mom too much, something tells me you'll find a way, the world needs good moms like you too much to deny you that chance.

Speaking of that, I'm glad you like my idea and thanks for your five. I can see that about Fall, you have to go to the Midwest or Northeast during the Fall someday to experience it, as it really is something. Family stuff is important to me, it's part of why I want a big one, more people to share in the fun I guess. That is true about the dog fairs, must not have been in the cards I guess. Good to know about the sex stuff, and your past. Don't worry I won't get a big head, I'm fairly humble. So are you apparently, since you did save my life and won't admit it, but like you I find that attractive. I guess neither of us likes arrogant people who don't listen to safety or health advice.

As for the visits, I'd love to come up there and have you show me around. In fact, I think you've just given me another rehab goal, so thank you for that. As for the other thing, am I mistaken, Judy, or did you just ask me out? In either case I accept, though I'd much rather have a date with you than a visit, but only if you have time. It will be great to see you regardless, I dare say I'll be a little more talkative than the last time we were face to face. 😊

Ok, time for my five things. Let's see, my favorite team is the Bills, even if they are hopeless most years. I hate inconsiderate drivers that don't signal or, even worse, sit in the left lane going slow. I hope to one day be able to go back home without it hurting so much. I secretly actually like romantic movies, and I'm still a little afraid of fire even though it's my job to sometimes run into burning buildings.

Well, that's all for me tonight, I'm finally getting a bit tired and I'll need my rest for tomorrow. Looking forward to maybe being able to meet you soon.

Matt

True to his word, Matt closed the laptop and was out shortly after.

The next evening, he had a response from Judy.

Matt,

I'm so glad you understand, I was hoping you would. I'm glad you enjoy our conversations, and you're very sweet, but I told you I'm no angel, Matt.

I have to admit, I would not have pegged Ray as a cook, just goes to show you can't judge a book by its cover I guess. As for your skills, maybe I'll get a chance to sample some of your handiwork sometime.

It was quite a blow to learn about the infertility, but I'm over it I guess, I just had to move on with my life. In a way, it showed me the true man I married and I have to be grateful for that I suppose. I know my worth Matt, that's why I left him, but it is sweet of you to say. It's good to know there are men out there that appreciate a quality woman.

I have certainly thought about adoption, if I ever get remarried in time to build a family. It's definitely good to know we're on the same page there for sure. Sweet of you to say I'd make a great mom, but I'm not so sure. I just know I'd do my best, I suppose that's all you can ask for in a parent.

Good to know about Fall, I have heard great things I've just never had the time. I love that you have traditions you want to share, that's pretty cool. I have to admit you do seem pretty down to earth so far, otherwise we would not still be talking, Matt. You are right, though, I can be a little humble myself at times, and a bit stubborn too, I suppose.

Good to hear you are loyal to your hometown team even if they're horrible, and those kinds of drivers annoy me as well. I think they annoy everyone that isn't one, on some level anyways. That's a good goal to have Matt, I'm sure your family misses having you visit them. As for the movies, good to know, I'll definitely keep that in mind in the future. I guess that fear makes sense given your past, is that part of the reason you became a firefighter, to face the fear?

As for my five things, my favorite place is Yosemite, because it was a place mom could afford to take Rosie and me growing up, and we have a lot of happy memories there. We still take a yearly trip, which is actually going to be this weekend, but more on that in a bit. Entitled cell phone users annoy me, by that I mean these idiots who don't pause their call to actually talk to you, but expect you to jump through hoops for them and their call, so annoying. I hope to be able to see Europe someday, I thought my ex's brother was way cuter than my ex, and I put my shoes in a plastic container when I camp because I'm afraid of spiders or scorpions getting in them.

As for the visits, no, I did not forget, I just wanted to save that for last. First off, Rosie and I would love to have you come visit when you are all better, so by all means make us a goal. As for the other part I have good news, and bad news, the bad news I've already hinted at. So, looks like I work a crazy shift from tomorrow until my yearly trip with my mom and sister next weekend. That means you probably won't hear from me until the middle of next week, because I either won't really have time or I'll be in the middle of nowhere. I just wanted to give you a heads up, so you did not think I was blowing you off or something. Now for the good news, it looks like I'm scheduled to come down to San Diego pretty much when I get back, so we should be able to have our date.

On that subject, yes, I was in fact asking you out. Sorry for tiptoeing around it so much, but I don't have a ton of practice asking men out. If you're up for, it I'd love to go out with you next Wednesday after my conference is finished. If you have a place in mind let me know, otherwise I'll take you to one of my favorite places. Let me know if Wednesday works for you, and I hope to see you then.

Judy

Matt smiled and wasted no time in replying immediately.

Judy,

Sorry to hear you'll be away so long, I'll miss the email, but it'll be worth a few days of no emails to see you. Don't worry, you did fine, it's a tricky business asking someone out. Wednesday sounds great, and as for where we'll go, I think I've got something in mind. Enjoy your trip, and I'll see you soon.

Matt

The next morning Matt woke to a brief reply from Judy.

Matt,

Sounds great. Sorry about this weekend, I should have told you sooner that this was coming up, I just don't think I expected this to go on this long, I'm very glad it has, though. I look forward to seeing you Wednesday.

Judy

After reading that Matt was smiling when Stacy came to get him for his morning workout.

"Matt, I know you're usually glad to see me so early, but I've got to ask why the big smile?" She said looking perplexed.

Matt chuckled and said, "because I've got a date next Wednesday."

"With Judy?" Matt nodded. "Well, good for you, I'm guessing we should pick things up a bit then, so you're less reliant on help to get around."

"That would be great."

The workouts for the next few days were tough, but Matt did not mind. They helped take off some of the nerves. Even with his progress by the time Wednesday arrived he still needed a bunch of assistance getting up and walking around. Mostly because they were being very cautious with his knee, an injury there could undo almost all of his progress to this point.

As Wednesday got closer Matt made arrangements, with some help from Ray. He also had Ray bring him some nicer clothes so he'd look the part. The last thing he wanted was Judy thinking he was not taking this seriously.

That evening when Judy arrived he was waiting on a couch in the lobby. When she walked in wearing a loose, lightweight dress, slight heels, and makeup, it was clear that, she too, was taking this seriously. He was pleased to see her eyes light up as she saw him. She made her way over to him, but got sidetracked by one of her former coworkers. After a brief catchup, the coworker asked why she was here.

Judy smiled. "Well, I'm actually here to take that handsome man on the couch over there out," she said, indicating Matt, who waved at the other nurse.

"Well, in that case, let's get him signed out, shall we?" the other nurse said, before heading over to the desk.

"Sorry about that Matt," Judy said walking up to him, "People know me here and most haven't seen me since before I left town. I'm Judy by the way," she said, then realizing he already knew that, blushed and added, "But I'm hoping you already knew that. Sorry, I'm kind of nervous."

Matt smiled. Somehow her admission made his own nerves evaporate, and as she got closer it was clear her picture and his dream version of her had not done her justice. She was absolutely stunning, so much so that he did not know how her ex had ever thought cheating on this magnificent woman was a good idea.

"I figured, but it's good to know nonetheless, you could have been an imposter. You look beautiful, by the way."

She blushed again and thanked him. It was clear she was not used to compliments. He would have to work on changing that. The other nurse came by with a clipboard with some stuff for Judy to sign, and filled her in on Stacy's instructions about his limitations. As he heard them talking, he realized it helped he had a certified nurse taking him out, or Stacy might not have let him leave without an attendant, which would have really sucked. Once Matt had been released to Judy's care she helped him up and out to her car.

"So, where to?" she asked as she got in the driver's seat after helping him into the passenger seat.

He gave her directions and they talked about her trip as they drove. As she told him the story, he could tell she had enjoyed her time away with her mom and sister. He could also see her nerves settling as her driving got less jerky as the story went on.

With perfect timing, her recollection of the weekend ended just as they pulled up to a small sushi restaurant. Upon seeing it Judy smiled, excited, and helped him in. She ordered her usual favorite, and asked Matt to pick out a few of the place's specialties he liked, which he did gladly. While they ate, they discussed the things in their various messages in more detail. As they talked Matt loved how easy things were with Judy. Despite this being their first face to face meeting, they were soon talking with the ease of longtime friends.

When the meal was over and the check had been paid, Judy helped him back to the car, saying, "Well, that was really good Matt. How did you ever find this place?"

Matt chuckled, "It's pretty new but I heard about it from another firefighter who knows the owner. I figured you might enjoy it."

"Definitely, so where to next?"

"You up for a movie?"

"Sure, you got one in mind?"

"Nope, I don't even know what's out now, but I figure we can settle on something."

Judy smiled and drove to the theater. When they got there the choice was not that great, but there was a decent romantic comedy that seemed like it would make for a decent date movie, so they got tickets and went to find seats. When they sat down Matt had to admit he would be glad to sit in one spot for a few hours as the date was taking more out of him than he had expected.

The movie turned out to be pretty good considering it was an impulse pick. It was still early when they got out of the movie, so Matt asked Judy to take them to a park near the facility. Despite Judy's protests, he tried to walk fairly unaided, but his muscles gave out on him and he had to be helped to a bench near the entrance of the park.

Matt was in a lot of pain and had a bruised ego as Judy settled on to the bench next to him. He was breathing heavy and staring at the ground when she shook him a bit.

"Matt? Are you ok?"

"Yeah," he said looking up at her, "I just need a minute. My pride might need longer, though."

Judy smiled and giggled. When he didn't smile she must have realized he had not been kidding, "Matt, you have absolutely nothing to be ashamed of. You are doing incredibly well, even Stacy said so and she's not the type to say that lightly. Just take your time Matt, do this properly and you'll be back at full strength in no time, trust me." He nodded and she smiled, "For now I'd like to just enjoy a beautiful night with you here on this bench. When you feel up to heading back let me know, ok?"

Matt did not respond. He instead looked up at her and met her eyes. In that moment, time seemed to slow down, as he was transfixed by her beauty. She said something, but he was too lost in her eyes to hear, and before he knew what was happening, he leaned in to kiss her.

"Matt? What's wrong? Are you sure you're feeling oh..." he finally heard her say before his lips met hers and cut off the rest of the question. When their lips met he felt a warm feeling spread throughout his body. He went to pull back, but found her lips chasing his. So he moved them back to meet hers, and this time wrapped his arms around her, pulling her sexy form to him. He felt her arms wrap around him as well as she clung to him.

He did not know how long they sat there kissing on the bench like that, but when it came time to part both parties were plenty reluctant.

"Well," Judy said, catching her breath a bit, "I guess that answers that, I'd say you're doing very well, judging by that kiss." She smiled, and looking at him, added, "if I didn't know better I'd say you had your little stumble just so you could get me alone on this bench."

"I didn't, I really am so foolish as to push myself too far on a date, as for the kiss I just saw an opening and figured, why not?"

"Well, I'm glad you did, it makes for a great end to a great evening. Which reminds me before I forget," Judy rummaged in her small purse pulling out a small slip of paper. "This is my number, I probably should have given it to you before, but I wanted to have a face to face before I gave it to you. Feel free to call or text me anytime." He took it and thanked her. "I should also mention that I have a work thing a few mornings the next few weeks so if you want I can drop by for a lunch date when I'm in town."

"I'd like that. Though you might have to fight Stacy, depending on when we're talking."

"Good, and I'll work something out with Stacy, because there's no way I'm driving all the way down here and not at least having lunch with my boyfriend while I'm here."

"Boyfriend, eh?"

"Yeah, you have a problem with that?"

"Nope, I told you earlier any man would be lucky to be with you, and if you're foolish enough to want that guy to be me, who am I to refuse?"

"Good, because I think you could be good for me, sir. We might just have something here." She kissed him quickly and then, unexpectedly, leaned against him and snuggled against his side. He wrapped his arm around her and they just sat there like that for a while.

Their moment was interrupted by a chime from Judy's phone.

"Well, my prince, it appears we need to get you home, or I risk you turning into a frog," she said, extricating herself from his arms and rising to help him up.

When they got back, Judy made a bit of a production getting him checked back in, seemingly making sure all the staff in the area was paying attention. She then made a show of pulling him into a deep kiss.

"What was that for?" Matt asked, confused at the fervor of the goodbye.

Judy smiled mischievously, "oh nothing, just making sure no one tries to move on you when I'm gone. You are spoken for Matthew, and don't you forget it."

"Not after that kiss, I won't," Matt said with a chuckle, before he was led back to his room.

When he got back to his room he tried out the number, texting that he had had a great time, and he was looking forward to her next visit.

It was clear that, even though it had only been one date, a lot had happened between them that evening. He was pretty sure she was right, they really might have something here. He had half fallen for her already, and he was fairly certain the feeling was mutual. Time would tell, though.

Over the next few weeks, Matt took Judy's advice to heart and steadily improved, while being careful not to push too hard. It certainly helped that he was able to talk to, and even see, Judy in the weeks following their first date. Though unfortunately, once her assignment was up, she was no longer able to make those lunch dates with him. Still, now that he had her number, they talked every night and texted back and forth throughout the day, to the point where Stacey took his phone during PT, to keep him focused.

Every PT session brought him a little closer to being able to go to San Francisco to see her. He also found that the closer the trip got, the more Matt was sure he loved her. He was so sure he even had Ray help him get a ring, just in case.

Finally, the day came when Stacy cleared him to go home and Matt immediately called Judy with the exciting news. She in turn invited him up that coming weekend, which he gladly accepted.