All Comments on 'Secrets of Apple Grove Ch. 01'

by WifeWatchman

Sort by:
  • 7 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago
Good story ...

I really like the structure and story direction; however, a couple of points that might be helpful. In my writing I constantly struggle with the problem of realistic dialogue. To help me with that problem I rely on Elmore Leonard's advice, "Once you write some dialogue, pause and read it out loud. If it don't sound real, start over." Sadly, much of your dialogue is stilted and more wordy that conversation is in the real world. Second point, as a reader I would appreciate a bit more background on your characters so that I could better understand their relationships - in some respects it felt like you were rushing to get to the next plot point. Of course, none of this means this isn't a good story. Keep working and writing, I'm tuned in for the next chapter.

WifeWatchmanWifeWatchmanalmost 9 years agoAuthor
Character development and conversations

Thanks for your comments. First, about the conversations: I understand where you're coming from, but if I tried to put "real" conversations, the chapters would be 25 pages long instead of 3-5 pages long. I also use economy of means to pack as much info into as little conversation as possible, so no, it's not realisitic-sounding.. but then again it's not realistic that anyone can go around beating up people with crowbars either. (However, Bowser is modeled upon a real and excellent dog.)

Second, to the character development: it is absolutely impossible to re-develop characters that have been developed in over 100 stories. We're at the point that one will have to read previous stories to really know what's going on with these characters and their by-now complex relationships. New characters do need development, of course.

Thanks again for the comments, as constructive comments are always welcome.

rhimshot415rhimshot415almost 9 years ago
A Good Start

I liked this story. I very well may have to go back to some of your other stories to get caught up on who these people are; however I hope I won't have to read all of them. But this seems like a very good start to a new series.

Meanwhile, as a fledgling writer myself, I appreciated Anonymous' tip and Elmore Leonard quote about dialogue. Perhaps I should try reading my unedited stories aloud before submitting them for editing. I do want, even at age 71, to learn to write better.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Unfinished work

Why did you leave us hanging just when it was getting interesting. It had the makings of a five star story if you had just kept at it.

Ravey19Ravey19over 2 years ago

Another good start and nice to veer off the path into one of Don's Angel's family situation. Wondering about the paranoia of them getting there but seemed appropriate once they were there. More mysteries to resolve.

WhitewaterbumWhitewaterbum11 months ago

I’m mystified as to where you are going with Teresa’ father’s background. If the perps wanted what was in safe deposit box, it wouldn’t taken to steal the key. Guess I’ll leave it for Cindy to get to bottom of this.

chytownchytown8 months ago

*****Good story build up. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userWifeWatchman@WifeWatchman
In an exercise of pure censorship, Literotica published all 5 chapters of my story "Climate Injustice" and then removed them, saying the readers of their explicit sex site(!) want safe spaces from politics(!!) I have published "Climate Injustice" on my Patreon site where the ...

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES