Shadow Dagger Ch. 12

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The woman bowed low and left the room, her face red with shame. Evelyn shook her head. She had forgotten what it was like to have servants. She put her out of her mind and undressed quickly. She eased herself into the large tub and sighed with pleasure. The water was perfumed wonderfully with the scent of wildflowers.

She had barely settled in when there came another knock at the door. "Yes?" Evelyn called from the bathroom, now somewhat irritated.

"Are you decent, my lady?" called a male voice.

Evelyn checked that her body was invisible underneath the water before responding. "Yes, please come in."

A man walked hesitantly into the bathroom. He was tall, with tan skin, dark brown hair and matching eyes. He wore a dark blue coat with matching trousers. He looked somewhat familiar. "Can I help you?" she asked curiously.

The man bowed low. "My lady, please allow me to introduce myself. I am Sereph, personal manservant to King Reynar Lobare."

Evelyn was unsure how to respond, seeing how she was neck deep in water. So she settled on inclining her head respectfully. "Do you carry word from the king?"

"I do, my lady. King Reynar would be honored if you were to join him for breakfast at your earliest convenience. He is most anxious to speak with you."

"As am I," Evelyn replied firmly. It was past time she had some answers. "Please inform King Reynar that I will join him shortly."

"Of course, my lady. You will find a wide selection of robes in the wardrobe in your room. I took the liberty of raiding the finest robe shop in all of Astuari. The proprietor there assures me that you have graced him before and that the robes will fit you perfectly."

Evelyn inclined her head again and favored him with a warm smile. It felt good to smile again. "I thank you very much. You are a very kind man."

He bowed very low. "You honor me, my lady. Please, enjoy your bath." And with that, he withdrew from the room.

Evelyn sighed in resignation and rose from the bath. The water cascaded down her body and back into the bathtub. She shivered in the cool air and hurriedly grabbed a towel from the table next to the large tub.

Evelyn discovered that Sereph wasn't lying about bringing the best robes. She had trouble picking her favorite one from the wardrobe in her bedroom. Finally, she settled on a blue robe that reminded her of Daminus' eyes. She felt a small stab of pain in her heart as she remembered those eyes twinkling whenever he laughed.

She sat down on the bed and buried her face in the robe. She clenched her teeth and fought back the wave of grief that threatened to sweep her off again. Get it together, Evelyn! I'm supposed to be avenging him, not falling apart!

She took several deep breaths and felt the grief recede back down. Was her whole life going to be like this? She wiped her eyes and dressed quickly. She gave her short blonde hair a few quick swipes with a comb before departing the room. The female servant from earlier was waiting outside.

"My lady, I am to escort you to King Reynar's private dining room. Could you follow me, please?"

Evelyn nodded and followed the servant's brisk strides. She was evidently in the living quarters of the palace because she saw many well-dressed people leaving rooms with their own servants. The hallways were long and wide and filled with all manner of items. Even in her grief, Evelyn could admire the beauty of the portraits they passed and the tall vases of delicate clay. Tall windows let in huge rays of sunshine. Several smaller windows were open to tempt in a cool morning breeze.

After a few minutes, and several more long hallways, Evelyn sped up to walk next to the servant. "What's your name?" she asked kindly.

The servant blushed furiously. "Evelyn," she replied timidly.

Evelyn's eyebrows shot up in surprise. "What are the odds of that?"

"Not as bad as you think," the other Evelyn replied. "You are a hero to the women here in Astuari. There are a lot of women with your name."

Evelyn didn't know what to say. She was simply flabbergasted. I really need to get out of the Emporium more! "I'm a hero?" Evelyn asked, amazed.

The other Evelyn turned to her with wide eyes. "Oh yes! Your exploits are well known! Most women are nursed at their mother's breasts with stories of you ringing in their ears. You're an inspiration, didn't you know that?"

"I had no idea," Evelyn replied quietly.

The other Evelyn continued to stare at her in amazement, almost knocking over a vase as they continued to walk through the palace. "Women think that naming their daughter 'Evelyn' will give them a better future. After all, we women aren't exactly respected, you know?"

"But the women Magi are highly respected!" Evelyn replied, shocked.

The other Evelyn shook her head sadly. "I hope you don't mind me saying, my lady, but I sometimes think that the Magi live in a different world. Do you really not know what goes on outside the walls of the Emporium?"

Before Evelyn could respond, the woman had stopped by a door. "We're here," she said quietly, gesturing to the door.

"Evelyn..." Evelyn began, but the other woman had already opened the door.

"My liege, may I present the Magi Evelyn Ventus."

Evelyn stepped around the woman and into a small but cozy dining room. She spotted King Reynar seated at a small table and immediately dropped into a curtsy. "My liege."

"Thank you," Reynar said, dismissing the servant. She gave Evelyn a quick glance before backing out the door. "Please, my dear Evelyn, there's no need for such formalities. Please sit and enjoy this lovely breakfast."

Evelyn took her seat and nervously smoothed her robe with her hands. Other than the bizarre events the day before, this was the first time she ever had any personal contact with the king. It felt good to be nervous; it made her grief disappear for a moment.

"How are you?" he asked kindly. His tone was sincere.

"I'm fine," Evelyn lied. "There's been a lot to take in but I think I'm adjusting."

Reynar looked like he didn't quite believe but politely let it go. "I'm glad to hear that. I hope your room was comfortable enough for you."

"It was very nice, thank you."

An awkward silence rose up between them. Reynar gestured at food spread out on the table. "I know you must be hungry. Please, help yourself."

Evelyn grabbed a small bowl of fruit. She bit into a delicious strawberry. Reynar was smiling at her. "Here, try that strawberry with this cream," he said, handing her a bowl containing a white cream. Evelyn dipped her strawberry hesitantly into the dip and slowly took a bite. The taste nearly toppled her off her chair. Her eyes widened in pleasure.

"Good, yes?" Reynar asked, dipping a strawberry into his own bowl of cream. He bit into his strawberry slowly, his eyes closed in pleasure. He chewed it as long as he could before swallowing.

Evelyn felt a true smile light up her face for the first time since Daminus' death. Reynar and she acted like children as they dared each other to try different fruits with the cream. Evelyn found herself laughing easily as she quickly finished her bowl of fruit.

Reynar grabbed a bottle of wine from the table. He uncovered a basket of grapes and nodded at them. "See these grapes? They come from the vineyard outside of Wuton. Have you ever had the pleasure of tasting the wine that comes from that vineyard?"

Evelyn shook her head. "I don't believe I have."

"Then you haven't lived!" Reynar exclaimed, the light in his eyes dancing mischievously. He grabbed a dark purple grape from the basket and handed it to Evelyn. "Try it."

Evelyn popped the grape in her mouth and bit down. Immediately, a flood of juice filled her mouth. It was the most delicious grape she had ever eaten. Reynar was watching her reaction eagerly. "I love it!" Evelyn cried happily.

Reynar beamed. "Now try this," he said, pouring the wine into an empty glass. He handed it to Evelyn.

Evelyn didn't know if she could handle any more flavors this morning. Everything had tasted so delicious. However, as soon as the liquid hit her tongue, she knew everything else had paled in comparison. The wine filled her with heat as it traveled down her throat. "What is this?" she asked in amazement.

Reynar's face was lit up with pride. "I've had a few Magi working down at that vineyard for a few years now. With the power of creation at our fingertips, why not create the best wine in the world?"

Evelyn laughed. "What fine use you have put to the Magi! Perhaps we could bribe the Magi Victus with this wine."

A cloud seemed to descend over Reynar's face at the mention of the war. An uncomfortable silence stole of the joy the discussion of the wine had created. Evelyn glanced down at her hands. "How was bad was yesterday?" she asked quietly.

Reynar sighed and leaned back in his chair. "Bad. We lost over thirty Magi, including two Masters."

Evelyn felt tears gather in her eyes. Undoubtedly, she knew many of the Magi who were killed. She didn't want to think about it. "It's not going to be easy, is it?"

Reynar shook his head sadly. "We knew that from the beginning. But on the bright side, we won't lose so many Magi on one day. Not unless the Magi Victus decide to attack us in force. But that would be to our advantage, not theirs."

Evelyn didn't know what to say. Too many things had happened in her life in too short of a time. She felt lost. Reynar seemed to sense something of her thoughts. "It's going to work out, you'll see. The Magi will be better for it in the end."

"I hope so," Evelyn muttered.

Reynar leaned forward on the table and clasped his hands together. "Let's not beat around the bush anymore, Evelyn. I know you're dying to discuss the offer I gave to you yesterday. What's your first question?"

"What in the nine hells is going on?" Evelyn asked desperately. "You attacked Ashford, who was supposed to be one of your best friends, and then you tell me that I'm special!"

Reynar stared at her for such a long time she thought he was never going to answer. He sighed heavily and closed his eyes. "It's time I told you everything. Unlike Jon Laurent, I'm not going to keep any secrets from you. Are you ready for this? It will alter everything you thought you knew. You might have trouble accepting it."

"I'm ready," Evelyn replied immediately. She was tired of being kept in the dark.

Reynar nodded gravely. "Very well. But before I can tell you why you are special, I need to tell you the history of this world. The true history," he added pointedly, "and not the history you were taught in the Emporium. I'm going to tell you why Jon Laurent needs to die before he can destroy the world."

Evelyn leaned in eagerly to hear his story.

***

"Her...child?" Sophina asked, dumbfounded.

Jon nodded. "I had my suspicions when I first found out that they were soul-mates. It was after talking to you, Ashford," and here he nodded over at Ashford, "about their bond gifts that I truly began to believe."

Sophina couldn't believe her ears. Her beloved Evelyn...was pregnant? "Jon, how do you know this? And what does their soul-bond have to do with it?" Sophina asked, her mind still reeling.

"Well, I was sort of expecting this. Remember the prophecy the God told me? What do you think I have been doing all this time? I've been waiting for this child. It's been so long that I began to lose faith. So when Marcus told me she was the one...I believed him."

The room was silent as everyone digested this new information. Ashford spoke hesitantly. "You said you knew after talking to me...but I told you they never knew what his bond gift was!"

"Exactly," Jon said, as if Ashford had just proved his point. "I have an educated guess about what happened. I'm willing to bet that Daminus and Evelyn made love earlier that day or at most the day before. So his seed was still inside of Evelyn."

"Yes...but Magi women use a spell that stops them from conceiving," Ashford pointed out patiently.

"Oh, this was no ordinary conception," Jon replied. "This child is suppose to be unique, remember? No, what I think happen was that Daminus, in the last few seconds of his life, suddenly knew what his bond gift was."

"What?" Sophina whispered, her hands trembling in her lap.

"I believe that Daminus used the soul-bond to transfer his soul over to impregnate Evelyn."

***

Evelyn sat back in her chair, her head shaking wildly. "No, it doesn't make any sense! True-born Magi? Jon Laurent is the son of King Roshard?"

"I'm sorry to break it to you like this," Reynar said delicately. "I know it's a lot to take in."

Evelyn rubbed her temple with her hands. "So you're saying that the God ordered the Order of 12 to mate with non-Magi?"

Reynar nodded. "It was only to be for the next generation. The God never meant the Order to rule over Astuari. He wanted non-Magi blood to dilute his incredible power. But He only required the Order to do this. Their children were prohibited from mating with non-Magi, as that would further dilute his gift to the point that we would lose power and this country would fall into darkness once more."

Evelyn tried her best to soak all this in. Her brain seemed to be full at the moment. "So...what does this mean? How is the world in danger of destruction? And what do I have to do with this?"

Reynar replied slowly, apparently choosing each word carefully. "I told you how we fought against the true-born. By all accounts, it was a long and bloody war. The Magi order was almost destroyed." He leaned forward suddenly, staring at Evelyn intently. "The war may not have been so devastating if the Magi hadn't been betrayed. One of their own joined the side of the true-born."

"Jon Laurent," Evelyn whispered. It was starting to make sense.

Reynar grunted. "Yes, it was Jon Laurent. Though at that time, he was named Jon d'Thelas san Ronar. He was the High Prince and yet he turned his back on the Magi and the God."

"Why?"

"Because Jon Laurent had a true-born brother. They were very close as children. Apparently, he was very envious of his brother's power. He worshipped the true-born like they were gods. He chose his brother and his lust for power over everything else. He knew it was wrong and that it could have brought the destruction of the world. It didn't stop him."

Evelyn examined everything he had told her, trying to find a pattern. Try as she might, she still couldn't see one. "But it's been over 3,000 years now. The true-born are dead. How can he bring about the destruction of the world now?"

"Ah," Reynar said slowly, leaning back in his chair. "That question brings us back to why you are here. There's no easy way to say this, Evelyn, so I'm just going to say it. Jon Laurent can destroy the world because of you."

"Because of me?" Evelyn sputtered, outraged. "What in the nine hells does that mean?"

Reynar looked down at his hands for several moments before slowly raising his head. "What did you feel the night Daminus died?"

"What?" Evelyn said, taken aback. Her heart fluttered in her chest. "What does that have to do with this discussion."

"Everything," Reynar replied solemnly. "Please, Evelyn, everything will be explained shortly. What did you feel that night?" Reynar leaned toward her, an eager look on his face.

"What did I feel?" Evelyn repeated. She felt an icy knife slide into her heart.I can't think about that night! I can't! She shook her head furiously.

"Please, Evelyn," Reynar begged, his voice full of passion. "Be strong...for Daminus."

"I felt my heart torn out!" Evelyn screamed, her eyes filling with tears. "I felt the end of the world!"

Reynar looked at her with such pity that Evelyn turned her head away. She dabbed at her eyes angrily with the sleeve of her robe.How dare that man make me dredge up memories of that awful night!

"Evelyn," Reynar pleaded, his voice so full of pain and sympathy that Evelyn looked around at him in astonishment. "The whole world is at stake. I need to save it, Evelyn. This is why I was born! Only I can do it. But I need to know what happened that night. What did you feel along your soul-bond?"

Evelyn stared at him in wonder. How did he know something happened? "It pulsed...with a power I had never felt from it," Evelyn gasped, tears streaking down her cheeks.

Reynar sat back in his chair. His face sagged with relief. He wiped a hand across his forehead. "She was right," he muttered.

"Who was right? And right about what?"

Reynar breathed out slowly. "Do you know what the problem was with the true-born? They were a product of pure magic. They never had an ounce of humanity in them. That's what drove them mad in the end."

"So?" Evelyn asked, starting to get annoyed. She wiped her cheeks with her sleeve again. She needed to be strong.

"Imagine then, what would it have been like if the true-born had possessed humanity? They could have changed the world in a way we couldn't imagine in our wildest dreams! The world right now is a pale comparison to the world that could have been."

Evelyn sighed, suddenly wearied beyond her endurance. "I still don't understand what you're getting at."

"I know it's frustrating," Reynar said. "I had to explain all of this first before I told you about why you are here. Evelyn, that surge you felt along the soul-bond as Daminus died was his bond gift!"

"We never knew what his bond gift was," Evelyn corrected him.

"But I know what it was," Reynar said, smiling. "He transferred a part of his soul over to you."

Evelyn stared at him in disbelief. "I think I would know if my soul-mate transferred his soul into me!

"Really? Then where did your strange new power come from, I wonder?"

Evelyn opened her mouth to rebut him but closed it before she could. What was that power she felt doing the fight yesterday? She performed magic that was beyond her grasp. "I don't know," she admitted. "But Daminus' soul? I would feel it right now if it were in me."

"It's not in you the way you think," Reynar replied. "If you don't mind me asking, did you make love to Daminus on the day of his death?"

Evelyn gaped open-mouthed at him. "I hardly see how that's your business!"

"I'll take that as a yes," Reynar said, chuckling. "You had his seed in you that night. Daminus soul came over from the soul-bond and quickened the seed in your womb. Evelyn, you're pregnant."

Evelyn collapsed out of her chair. She heard somebody calling her name. She felt hands slapping her face softly. Her eyes fluttered open. Reynar was kneeling over her, looking very concerned.

"Are you alright?" he asked urgently.

"Sorry," Evelyn muttered, embarrassed. "For a minute there, I thought you said I was pregnant!"

"I did," Reynar said, helping her back up to her feet.

Evelyn sat back down and sighed gratefully. Then it hit her. Her eyes bulged in shock. "You did?"

"Yes."

"But...but I used a spell to prevent pregnancy! We can't have a child until we get permission!"

Reynar chuckled. "Under the circumstances, I think I will wave that requirement."

Evelyn shook her head. "If I was pregnant, I would have noticed by now! It's been over a month!"

Reynar grimaced. "About that...your pregnancy is exactly normal."

"Why not?" Evelyn asked, clutching her stomach. She looked down in surprise. Evidently, her mind already decided she was pregnant.

"Well...you're pregnant with a true-born Magi."

***

"But they aren't true-born Magi!" Sophina gasped. "How could they have a true-born baby?"

Jon frowned. "I'm not an expert, so it will be up to you to decide. But I think that since Daminus was a Magi, his act of crossing over the soul-bond was magical in nature. His soul, or his essence, was now completely magical, as he no longer had his body. He used his seed, which contained his humanity, to impregnate Evelyn. The combination of his purely magical soul and his human seed, and in combination with Evelyn's magical soul and humanity, has produced a true-born Magi that will have humanity as well."