Shadow Dagger Ch. 12

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Sophina looked over at Ashford, who looked just as stunned as she did. Sophina instinctively knew that Jon had it right. Evelyn was pregnant with a true-born Magi that wouldn't go mad. "Unbelievable," was all she could say.

"I'll second that," Ashford breathed.

"So now you know everything I do," Jon informed them. "Evelyn's child will have dual natures and dual destinies; destroy the world or save it. It's up to us to ensure the child chooses right."

"I wonder," Marcus said, speaking for the first time in awhile, "what does Reynar want with Evelyn? How would he even know about her child?"

They all looked over at Ashford. Ashford appeared to consider the question before answering. "I'm sorry everyone, but I just don't know."

Jon snorted and crossed his arms over his chest. Marcus, however, suddenly stood up and began pacing the room. "Ashford, tell us Reynar's history. From the beginning please. And keep it short."

Ashford looked taken aback by being ordered by a beggar. He must have realized who Marcus really was because he swallowed before speaking. "Reynar was born to King Roland Lobare and Queen Maryn of Raves."

Sophina gasped. "King Reynar's mom was from Raves?"

Ashford nodded. "It wasn't widely spoken of because of our history with Raves. At that time, King Roland was at war with Raves. Tired of fighting, King Roland reached a compromise with the desert people. He agreed to take a bride from one of their tribes. The warriors of Raves were appeased, for now their blood would run through the line of Lobare. Didn't you ever wonder why Reynar was so dark?"

Sophina shrugged. "I never really got to see him in person."

"The desert people stopped attacking our outlying cities. They even started trading with us. They sold us extraordinary items from the merchants of that mysterious country that lies past the desert. Our two countries were finally at peace."

"But I fought them!" Sophina said. "We just won the War of the Desert not too long ago."

"We didn't win, Sophina," Ashford corrected her quietly. "We came to another agreement with them. But the reason why the first peace was broken was because of the murder of Queen Maryn."

"I never heard that," Sophina whispered sadly.

Ashford sighed. "Once again, it wasn't widely known. Most people think she killed herself. At any rate, the warriors of Raves knew the truth. To this day, we still don't know who assassinated her. I tend to think it was the Magi Victus, myself."

"It wasn't," Jon corrected him.

Ashford shrugged. "Well, then I don't know who did. The treaty broken, the desert people once again began raiding our cities. Heartbroken, for he truly loved his desert princess, King Roland slowly wasted away and died."

"Now, King Reynar, who was only the High Prince at the time, had been studying at the Emporium since he was a child. He was an extraordinarily brilliant Magi. He would have easily made the 10th Tier by the time he finished. I grew up along side him and loved him like a brother. There were 5 of us, all the best of friends. We knew Reynar was going to do great things."

"So, when Reynar's father died, he immediately declared war on Raves. Thus began the War of the Desert. As we all know, it lasted ten years. What we don't all know is that it ended in another peace treaty."

"I wasn't aware of this," Jon said slowly.

"Only a select few knew," Ashford said proudly. "Reynar discovered that the people of Raves were led by a goddess."

"What?" Jon and Sophina asked.

Ashford nodded. "The warriors of Raves were impressed by Reynar's fighting prowess and by their shared blood. They agreed to let him meet their goddess. It was a honor no other outsider had ever been allowed."

"There are no such thing as goddesses," Jon said.

"Of course there isn't," Ashford said, waving his hand. "Reynar came back from the meeting shaking his head. He said it was just some crazy old woman who claimed to see the future. In any case, she agreed to stop the war. King Reynar stayed in Raves for a year as part of the agreement. He agreed to learn their ways to better understand his heritage. And so that brings us to now."

Jon shook his head. "Something doesn't make sense. A goddess? Why would those proud warriors revere some crazy old woman?"

"I lived with them for a long time," Ashford said. "I was an ambassador, after all. And I still don't understand them and the system of honor they live by. Sometimes, it seems like they make up rules as they go along. It was very frustrating dealing with them, I can tell you that."

Marcus, who was pacing throughout Ashford's tale, suddenly stopped and looked at Ashford. "You said earlier that you overlooked signs of Reynar's power?"

"Yeah," Ashford sighed. "We didn't get to spend a lot of time with him when he became king, but there were times when he came by the Emporium to visit. He liked to peruse the library books. Sometimes, one of us would ask him for some help with some magic we were practicing. At the time, I dismissed his great skill because I expected it from him. But now, looking back at it...he was very powerful. Much more powerful than before."

"More powerful than before?" Marcus asked sharply. "What before?"

Ashford shrugged. "Before the war, I guess."

"Did he fight a lot during the war?" Marcus asked.

"He fought some, yes. Why?"

"Did he display any of that brilliant magic during the war?"

Ashford frowned. He shook his head slowly. "No...I only saw his normal magic. It was still brilliant, though."

Sophina had been following the exchange with a growing sense of wonder. She was definitely in over her head. "What are you getting at, Marcus?" she asked.

Marcus stared intently at Ashford. "Ashford, this is very important. Would you say that his increased ability came after his one year in Raves, and not before?"

"Yes," Ashford said slowly. "I never thought about that before. But yes...I would agree with that."

Marcus and Jon exchanged sharp looks. "You don't think...?" Marcus said.

Sophina almost gasped at the look of anger that twisted Jon's face. "It better not be!" he rasped.

"What's going on?" Sophina asked, scared.

"Now you know your next step," Marcus told Jon.

Jon nodded, his nostrils flaring in anger. "We have three months. It should be enough time."

Sophina looked between Jon and Marcus. "Will you tell us what's going on? Why do we have three months?"

Jon shook his head. "The time for questions is over. Evelyn's pregnancy will only last three months. Once the baby is born, I have a feeling we will be out of time. I don't know what Reynar's plans are, but I'm pretty sure they aren't the same as ours. The child's life could be at risk."

"What are our plans?" Sophina asked.Three months? Poor Evelyn!

Jon pointed at Ashford. "You're coming with me."

Ashford shook his head. "What are you talking about? Coming with you where?"

Jon's smile was grim. "To Raves."

Ashford groaned. "I hate that place," he muttered.

"What about me?" Sophina asked, feeling left out.

Jon studied her for a few moments. "I need you to stay here. You're going to organize a resistance. Reynar is going to guard her with the whole might of his army. You're job will be to rescue Evelyn."

Sophina's heart pounded in her chest. She nodded fiercely. "She will be waiting with us when you get back."

Jon smiled. "I have no doubt."

"We're going to need a lot of supplies if we're going into the desert," Ashford warned Jon.

Jon nodded. "It's been a long day so far and it's only going to get longer. We have a lot of planning ahead of us."

***

"Three months?" Evelyn gasped. "That's impossible!"

"You're giving birth to a one-of-a-kind child," Reynar said. "I told you, it's not going to be a normal pregnancy."

Evelyn continued to clutch her stomach. Now that she concentrated on it, she could feel the baby inside of her. She knew now that's where her increased power came from. The pain in her heart was receding fast. She felt...happy. She buried her head in her hands and wept.

"Get it all out," Reynar said quietly.

Evelyn wept for a long time. Finally, her eyes puffy, she raised her head. "I feel like the bridge between Daminus and I has been fixed. I can feel him inside me!"

"I'm glad," Reynar replied, and he looked it.

Evelyn laughed and hiccupped at the same time. Her already soaked sleeve got even more soaked as she dried her eyes again. "It's so strange! I can't even wrap my head around it. My husband is dead...but I'm about to give birth to him?"

Reynar looked at her sadly. "It's not Daminus," he said slowly. "Your child has its own soul. It's just...mixed with a part of your husband's. The child won't be Daminus."

Evelyn smiled and wiped away a tear. "I know. But Daminus is a part of my child, I can feel it."

"I don't doubt you," Reynar replied with a smile. The smile faded as he watched her. "There is one more thing, Evelyn."

"What?" She felt her heart clench in fear.

Reynar opened his mouth and then closed it. He took a quick drink of wine and licked his lips. "I know you just recently lost Daminus but...your child is very, very important." He looked unsure about how to continue. He took a deep breath.

"Evelyn...we have to get married."

***

Chapter 13: Prepartions and leave-taking. Evelyn struggles with a question.

Note: I'm proud to say that the last two chapters of Shadow Dagger are in the top 10 of scifi/fantasy stories for the past 12 months! Sadly, they won't make the all time list because it seems a story needs at least 100 votes. Oh well, I'm happy with the votes I got! Thanks everyone!