Shadows of Resentment Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Sunlight shone through the window awaking the sleeping couple. Cameron yawned and stretched careful not to awake Sierra as he loved watching her sleep. He thanked God for his fortune in finding her and having her as a part of his life.

He knew now what he had to do. When he got back to the center, he had a phone call he needed to make. Today was as good a time as any, because he wanted to spend the rest of his life with this woman.

Sierra woke up to a quiet Cameron who was deep in thought. Walking up behind him, she wrapped her arms around his waist, "Good morning, Baby" she whispered. "Come back to bed." Cameron turned and held her in his arms. "Good morning, beautiful, let's lay back down." And they did.

A few hours later, it was time to check out of the room. Sierra and Cameron made love once more before leaving. After leaving then hotel, the couple simply drove to the local lake and spent time with each other. Eventually, it was time to take Cameron back to Parkview.

For Sierra, this was the hardest part. It was difficult to leave him before, but now after being with him, she simply did not want to go.

Cameron hated to see her leave too, but he knew that in two weeks he would go back home and they could be together. He held her close to comfort and reminded her that in two weeks he would be home. Then he kissed her goodbye and watched her drive away.

Cameron went to his room, picked up his phone, and called his Dad.

Nick saw Cameron's number on the caller ID box and rushed to pick up the phone.

"Hello, Son, is everything alright?" Nick asked. "I'm sorry I couldn't get over there today, but I will be there to pick you up and bring you home next Thursday, alright."

"Dad, I understand. I know you had to work, that's not why I called.' Cameron explained. "Dad, do you still have Mom's rings?"

Nick was speechless. Even though he and his friends joked about their kids getting married in the past, Nick was shocked to hear his son's request.

"Yes, son, yes." Nick's voice was thick with emotion. "When do you want it? It's a size seven, you might need to get it resized."

"No, Dad. I took up the class rings orders last year before prom, seven is her ring size" Cameron explained.

"Has Sierra told Marvin and Marge yet? I'd better call them-" Nick rambled on.

"Wait, Dad." Cameron interrupted. "I've got to ask Mr. Grangers' permission first and then I have to ask her. She might laugh in my face, but I've got to try."

"Alright then, son" Nick smiled as he answered,. "I'll have the ring cleaned and have it ready for you next week."

"Thanks Dad. Give Rosa a hug for me. Good night." Then he hung up.

Where's Dawn?

August 2010

The next morning, Cameron had a session with Dawn, but Dawn didn't come in. This was strange, but he figured that if she missed today, maybe she had something important to do. He didn't worry too much.

However, three days later, Dawn hadn't returned to work. He asked one of the nurses if she was she on vacation and the nurse told him, that Dawn never used her vacation days. Now Cameron was really concerned. Dawn never missed work. Something was wrong. So, he called Derrick.

Derrick heard his phone ring and saw that it was a number from Parkview.

"Hello." Derrick answered.

"Hey, Derrick, it's Cameron. Have you talked to Dawn? She hasn't been at work this week and I've never known her to miss." Cameron rushed explaining to his friend why he called.

Derrick instantly became concerned. "Let me call her and I'll get back to you."

Cameron interrupted, "I asked if she was on vacation time, and was told that she always roll over her vacation. It's not like her to miss. Let me know when you talk to her alright."

"Sure, later." Derrick hung up instantly dialing Dawn's number.

Her phone rang several times and she did not answer. Derrick immediately grabbed his car keys and headed for the door.

When he was headed to the car, Darius saw him rushing and stopped him. He could tell that Derrick was upset. He didn't ask any questions, just told Deidre he'd be back and met his brother at the car.

He took a minute to call his probation officer, Mr. Bones, and get permission to go out of town with his brother. Mr. Bones hesitated at first, but Darius explained that it was an emergency concerning his brother.

He agreed to let him go this time, but told him that he needed to come by his office the next day to log in the paperwork for this request. Darius agreed and went with his brother. Both brothers climbed into the SUV and headed to Jackson.

At first Darius thought something might have happened to Cameron, then he remembered that Derrick was seeing a girl that worked at the center where Cameron was staying.

"Do you wanna tell me what's wrong, or do I have to guess?" Darius asked his frazzled brother.

Derrick didn't answer. He was calling Dawn and she was not answering her phone. The longer his calls went unanswered the more agitated he became.

Finally having seen enough of his brother in this state Darius pulled the car over and stopped.

"What the fuck are you doing? We don't need to stop. We need to get to Jackson right away, something's wrong with Dawn." Derrick yelled furiously at his brother.

Darius finally understood the gravity of the situation. He knew if something happened to Deidre or his girls, he'd go ballistic. Pulling back onto the interstate quickly, the two young men sped towards Jackson. Within an hour, Darius was pulling in front of Dawn's house.

She wasn't home. Derrick was headed to a neighbor's when a strange car pulled into the yard and an extremely large buffed man got out.

What the fuck is this? He wondered. How does this guy know Dawn?

Just then the guy walked to the passenger side of the car to help Dawn out. He had to practically lift her out because you could tell that she was somehow injured.

Derrick rushed to the car. "Dawn, baby, what happened?" he asked.

Dawn was shocked. "Derrick, what are you doing here?"

Derrick ignored her and went to help her from the car. Muscle Man stopped him. "I've got her buddy. You wouldn't want to hurt her would you?" he added chuckling.

Derrick turned on the big man, but Darius intervened. "Derrick, let him help her and I'll help you get her things from the car."

Muscle man helped Dawn into the house while, Derrick and Darius brought in her things.

"Hey, Loverboy, she needs to take some pain pills. Bring her a glass of water." Muscle man ordered.

Darius said. "I'll get the water. You go into the bedroom with him and help get her into bed. Maybe we can ask him what happened after she's asleep."

Derrick walked into Dawn's bedroom and found Muscle Man tucking her in.

Muscle Man gently kissed her on the forehead, gave her two pills and the glass of water Darius brought in, before the three men exited her bedroom.

"So, which one of you are Derrick?" Muscle Man surmised as he addressed the two men standing in his sister's living room.

"Who are you and what happened to Dawn?" Derrick demanded advancing on the big man.

One thing Darius learned over the last year was that violence solved nothing. He quickly moved between his brother and the huge man he was challenging.

"Derrick calm down." He begged his brother. "Listen to what the guy has to say first."

Muscle man chuckled, "I like you. You're just the guy my sister needs. She told me about you the other night before the accident."

Her brother, he's her brother, Gunther. Thank goodness!thought Derrick relieved. Dawn told Derrick about Gunther when they spent some time together one weekend watching movies. It was obvious from the way she spoke about him that she idolized her big brother.

Frowning Gunther continued, "Damn newbies, they never listen. If I can have my way that asshole won't be using that gym anymore after this."

"What happened to her, Gunther?" asked Derrick in a calm controlled voice. He calmed down tremendously once he realized the guy before him was not a love interest and that he was not the one that hurt her.

"Sorry, we were at the gym working out to get ready for a new competition next month." Gunther explained.

"Weightlifting is very competitive and a lot of the people in it will do anything to win, even juice. A new girl joined the gym and felt threatened when Dawn came in. She decided to give Dawn a warning about tramping in her territory." Gunther said angrily.

"The hussy interrupted Dawn when she was lifting 350 weights causing her to lose her grip and almost dropping the weights as they clipped her temple." He continued to explain.

In actuality Gunther was terrified. There was so much blood and he thought he'd lose his sister. The bitch that hurt her need never cross his path again because he would not restrain himself a second time.

"We were in the hospital for a couple of days, and they just released her this morning. She's off work for a few more days, but she should be fine. Anyway, someone needs to stay with her for a couple of days at least until she's back to normal." Gunther sighed with relief.

He looked at Derrick and could tell from the look on the guy's face that he was a goner. But that didn't mean he trusted him. He'd been taking care of Dawn since their parents died and he was seventeen, and he would continue to do so now.

"I'll stay with her." Derrick stated as he glared at her brother daring him to protest.

Gunther looked at the man before him. Just because his sister had shown some interest in the guy didn't mean he trusted him. "Thanks Derrick, but I've got it." Dawn will be fine."

Derrick crossed his arms and he and Gunther stared each other down. Darius stood on the side and watched the exchange. He knew that Derrick had as much of a protective streak as he did, but he managed to keep a tighter rein on his emotions.

Even when they were kids, Derrick tempered his hotheaded behavior, but where Dawn was concerned it became clear that he had to intervene to make sure his brother didn't do anything rash.

"Derrick, go check on Dawn." Darius suggested. Derrick knew his brother was trying to diffuse a potentially volatile situation so he excused himself and went to Dawn's room to check on her.

Darius spoke to Gunther as soon as Derrick left the room. "Gunther, I know you have no reason to trust either of us. But you know my brother is a good guy and he genuinely cares for your sister."

Darius took a breath, "Don't you want her to be happy? I believe he will make her happy. Let's get out of here for a while and let him take care of her"

Gunther stared at Darius for a moment and hesitantly agreed to give Derrick and Dawn some time.

When Derrick returned from Dawn's room, the two men informed him that they would be leaving for a little while and Gunther asked him to look out for his sister. Derrick was relieved, because with them gone he could now make sure his love was really alright.

Darius gave Gunther a ride across town to his apartment because he had to get to work. Darius drove over to Parkview to visit with Cameron.

Cameron was worried about Dawn, and wondering why Derrick hadn't called. He was walking around the yard when he heard his friend greet him.

"Cameron, man, what are you doing?" Darius asked.

Turning around with a huge smile plastered on his face, Cameron was happy to see his friend. "Darius, what are you doing here? Is the garage closed today or something?"

"No, I drove up with Derrick to check on Dawn." Darius stated.

Cameron was relieved. "Hey, is Dawn alright? I've been worried. It's not like her to miss." He wanted to ask what happened, but knowing what a private person Dawn was, he'd let her tell him when she was ready.

Darius continued, "There was some sort of incident at the gym and she got hurt but she's fine by the way. Derrick is with her now." He explained.

The guys spent a little while catching up. They talked about things when they were kids, Deidre and the girls.

"Cameron, are you packed and ready to get out of here next week?" Darius asked.

Cameron smiled. "Coming here was the hardest choice I ever made, but it helped me. I'm ready to go home and get my life back."

Darius nodded in agreement. He was excited that his friend was coming back home. Their parents had a big homecoming planned. He knew Cameron would be surprised.

"Darius," Cameron spoke softly. "I'm proposing to Sierra when I get home next week. I'm gonna ask your dad's permission first, but I hope she says yes. I want to spend the rest of my life with that girl."

Darius was elated because more than anything he wanted Cameron and his sister to be happy. "Can I tell Derrick?" he asked.

"No, I wanna tell him. Is he coming to the center today?" Cameron asked.

"Dawn got hurt pretty bad, so he might not want to leave her side. Why don't you call him?" Darius explained.

Derrick sat in Dawn's room and watched her sleep. Her beauty amazed him. The fact that she did not know how beautiful she was stunned him. She began to stir and he moved over to her quickly.

"Hey, baby. How are you feeling?" he asked as she opened her gorgeous grey-green eyes and looked at him.

Stretching and yawning, Dawn asked. "What are you doing here? Where's Gunther?"

"He had to get to work and I told him I would stay with you. Are you alright, baby?" he queried.

"I'm fine, but my head hurts." She answered.

"Let me make us some lunch and then I'll give you your pain pills. Now lay down and relax. Let me take care of you." Derrick cajoled.

"OK" Dawn replied. "Derrick, can you help me up? I want to sit in the living room so we can talk while you fix lunch."

"Sure." He answered. He went over to the bed and helped support her as she slowly walked to her couch. He held on to her tightly marveling at the feel of her muscles rippling under the edge of her skin. She turned to sit a momentarily pressed her breast into his chest and Derrick was a complete goner.

He wanted this woman, but he realized that he didn't just want her; he wanted a lifetime with her.

Once Dawn was seated, Derrick gave her the remote and went in to the kitchen to finish preparing lunch. He brought her food and placed it on a small table in front of her.

He sat and watched her eat. Dawn noticed he was staring and became curious. She stopped eating.

Derrick moved over to her on the sofa and kneeled in front of her.

"Dawn, look at me." Derrick commanded softly. "I know, we've only known each other for a few months, but I know enough to know that you're it for me. I love you. I love you with all that I am; all that is within me"

Taking a deep breath, he persisted. "Dawn, I want to spend my life with you, I've never known anyone like you. You're it for me, girl. Will you stay with me. Give us a chance." Derrick asked softly.

Dawn was speechless. She never expected someone who co0uld love her so completely, yet a part of her was still afraid Then she looked into his eyes and knew he was bearing his soul to her. She didn't need time, or promises, or flowers. She just needed him. Tears began to flow down her cheeks.

"Derrick, I really care about you to. But it's too soon right now to talk about marriage. I never thought I'd meet someone like you. I figured I'd just be alone. Men, in the past... well let's just say it wasn't promising. You changed all of that for me. You see me as a woman, not some freak. I love you, Derrick. When the time comes I will gladly stay with you." Dawn exhaled on a breath as she propelled herself into Derrick's arms. He held her tightly thinkingThank God for creating this wonderful woman for me.

At that moment, his phone rang. It was Cameron. Derrick answered and Cameron shared his plans with him. Derrick was overjoyed.

"Congratulations, man. I knew you two would be together. Hopefully soon, I'll be making my own announcements." Derrick explained as he stared at Dawn longingly.

Cameron knew his friend liked Dawn and he wanted to encourage him. "You guys just started dating, give it some time. One day we'll be planning your wedding, too"

"I know. It will happen. Dawn's it for me, but we'll take our time. No hurries. Chuckling Derrick added, "Now, Darius needs to up is games. He's got to convince Deidre to marry him. She keeps turning him down. Dawn and I talked about our relationship and have agreed to simply love each other. We will be getting married one day when the times right and she graciously agrees to be my wife." Derrick told his best friend.

"That's great man! You deserve to be happy and Dawn is a wonderful woman" Cameron said solemnly. Darius wanted to know what was going on immediately. Cameron handed him the phone and Derrick shared his news about his and Dawn's relationship.

Darius was happy for his brother and his best friend, but he wanted his woman to marry him too, and part of him felt she'd never agree, so he was disappointed but he caused this himself. He would earn her trust again, and they would be a true family.

Finally Back at Home

September 2010

Cameron had been at home for two weeks, and had yet to ask Sierra to marry him. He asked Mr. and Mrs. Granger for their daughter's hand the second night he was home and they readily granted him permission to ask. His Dad had his Mom's rings cleaned and he even had Sierra and his birthstones inserted.

Tonight was special. He was proposing tonight and hopefully tomorrow she would be wearing his ring. Cameron knew what time Sierra made it home from work, so he decided to stop by her apartment for a short visit and to ask the question that would change both of their lives.

He sat on the bench in front of her building for about forty-five minutes and she had not made it home. After sitting there for over an hour he became concerned. He called Darius and Derrick to ask if they knew where she was.

The three young men started to search for the wayward young lady. Deidre and Dawn tried to warn her brothers that Sierra would not be happy about this, but as her brothers they had a right to keep their kid sister out of trouble. Cameron, as her future husband, inherited those rights as well.

Two hours later Cameron returned to Sierra's apartment and saw that she had made it home.

Bam, Bam, Bam!, was the noise that woke Sierra after she had finally fallen asleep after a horrid day. It sounded like someone was trying to break her door down.

Sierra grabbed her robe and baseball bat and headed for the door. Approaching the door, she heard a familiar voice yell, "Sierra, open this damn door, right now."

It was Cameron. Her heart began to race, then she took note of the time, What the fuck could he want? It was eleven o'clock in at night. Sierra unlocked the door and Cameron burst into her living room. Sierra glared at him angrily. Who did he think he was? What gave him the right to barge into her home?

Sierra was about to rip him a new one when he grasped the nap of her neck, pulled her face to his, covered her lips with his, and kissed her like his life depended on her.

Sierra was caught so off guard, she melted into the kiss. "Cameron, stop. What do you want?"

"I came to meet you when you got home from work and you didn't come home. I waited and waited. Hours passed and you didn't come home. I was scared, so I called your brothers and they helped me search for you." Cameron explained.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you. I just had a rough day, and stopped at Ebony's Pub for a drink to calm my nerves." Sierra explained.

"If I had known you would have been worried, I would have called. But, baby, I'm fine, alright. I'll call next time; you don't have to worry about me." Sierra continued wrapping her arms around his waist and holding him close.

"I never want to be without you again. Not even for a minute." Cameron exhaled as he pulled her into a tight embraced.