Shelter from the Storm

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
jfremont
jfremont
337 Followers

She made another pot of tea and, laughing, Jim brought out his peanut butter crackers for them to snack on. When he stopped to think about it he was surprised how easily they were getting along. More like they had known each other for some time, not just a few hours. Lisa found herself thinking the same thing, although neither mentioned it. The storm continued unabated outside, the sleet rattling the window panes and the wind howling around the corners and eaves of the house.

With the guitar finally put aside, they continued to talk. They found they had other things in common beside liking folk music. Neither had brothers or sisters. Lisa had also been a business major, but specialized in the advertising and sales side rather than finance. Both liked the out of doors and enjoyed hiking and camping and both were familiar with canoes and kayaks.

At one point, as often happens, their talk fell silent and then almost together both yawned deeply. Laughing, Lisa looked at her watch. "It's after one! I had no idea it was so late."

"It couldn't be." But when Jim looked at his own watch he saw it really was. "It doesn't seem like it's that late, does it."

"No. Must be the company." She smiled. "You know, I'm sort of glad your car got stuck."

He returned the smile. "You know, I am too."

"I guess we had better get some sleep, though." She stood and carried the tea pot back into the kitchen while Jim made sure the screen was in place in front of the fireplace. She called back from the kitchen, "I expect the house won't cool off too much tonight. I've been staying in my parents' room, so you can have my old bedroom tonight. We can see what the weather is like tomorrow and figure what to do from there."

She came back in and, taking one of the candle lanterns and a small flashlight, led him into her old room, pulling several extra blankets from the closet along with sheets and a pillowcase. She helped make the bed and then turned to him and said, "You can use the bathroom first if you want. Just remember all the water we have is in those cans, so don't waste it. As for the toilet, as I once heard a weatherman say during a California drought, "If it's yellow, let it mellow; if it's brown, flush it down."

He laughed and said, "I expect we can manage. Look, Lisa, I want to thank you for everything you've done. I'd have been really stuck in a bad way without you."

"You're most welcome, but I think you've done as much for me as I have for you." He looked a little uncertain at that comment but didn't say anything, as Lisa thought to herself, "Yes, you've helped me to lay some of the restless ghosts. At least for a little while."

Then she smiled up at him and said, "Good night, Jim. Sleep as long as you want and we'll see about things in the morning."

Surprising himself, Jim reached out and clasped Lisa's hand between his own. "Good night, Lisa. And thank you again for everything."

She smiled and turned back to get the other candle lantern and another flashlight before blowing out the oil lamp. Then, as Jim went into the bathroom, she slipped into the other bedroom until after she heard Jim close the door of her old room before making her own trip to the bathroom.

Lisa openedher eyes to dim, gray light filtering through the window. She glanced at the clock and saw that it was almost eight. She usually woke somewhat earlier but then it had been nearly two when they had finally gone to sleep. THEY? Everything suddenly flooded back. Not only was she here in the old house instead of her apartment but so was a stranger. Well, no longer really a stranger. They had actually gotten to know each other quite well in the short time since she had let him in from the storm. She smiled to herself. Yes, but she would like to get to know him better still.

She shook her head and put aside such ideas. He definitely held an attraction for her, but neither of them had made any move to extend things beyond just two strangers getting to know each other. OK, that wasn't completely true. She had shared some of her pressures and problems with him to a greater extent than she had with any of her friends, even if she had known them for years. She believed he had done the same, telling her about the storm of controversy that had piled up so suddenly around him. OK, maybe they were well on the way to becoming friends - at least if they continued to see each other. That was possible, she mused, since he said he was going to be in Columbus for at least a couple of months. And, for that matter, depending on the weather and the road crews, they might be living together - a sardonic smile crossed her face - for a few days or so.

The clock read the time but it ran on a battery. She checked a lamp and found, as expected, that the power was still off. Rising from the bed she pulled on a pair of jeans and a long sleeve plaid flannel shirt. Socks and a pair of athletic shoes followed. The room had cooled quite a bit without the furnace to prevent it, so she added a thick sweater. She made her way into the bathroom and, as she came out, heard sounds of movement from her old room. Evidently Jim was waking also.

The door opened and he stepped out into the hall. "Good morning."

"Good morning," she replied. "At least it could be a lot worse. Power is still out. You will probably want your sweatshirt, at least until we can get it warmed up a little."

He seemed to take stock of the environment and then acknowledged, "Probably. If you'd like, I'll build a fire."

"OK. I'll see what I can do for breakfast. I hope you like instant oatmeal - that's mostly what I brought. At least I have several kinds for you to choose from."

He laughed. "I'm a grad student too, remember. Oatmeal and granola bars is what I live on most mornings."

He went on into the bathroom and she headed for the kitchen. She filled a kettle again and put it on the stove. Thank goodness the stove was LP and not electric. She had gotten out oatmeal packets along with bowls, spoons, mugs and the teapot when Jim joined her. He had picked up his sweatshirt from the closet and was shrugging into it. "I've got the fire going again. Hopefully that will warm things up a little."

"Probably. Depends on how cold it is outside. She went to look out the window and Jim came over to stand beside her, looking out also. The storm hadn't ended, but the wind had dropped and the precipitation had changed over to all snow. It looked like maybe an inch or two had fallen already, but it was still coming down, although not too hard. However, everywhere they looked that wasn't snow covered, a white layer of ice covered everything. For half a minute they just stood, looking out at the desolate landscape. Desolate, but somehow hauntingly beautiful.

Suddenly Lisa remembered something. "There's a thermometer outside that we can see from the window in the living room. I'll run check what it says." Just then steam from the kettle caused her to alter her plans. "I guess we ought to make the oatmeal and tea first."

She handed him the selection of packages and he picked one. Each emptied their own into a bowl and Lisa added the boiling water. Then she filled the teapot and added a couple of tea bags. "OK, while we wait a WHOLE-LONG minute for the cereal," she said with obviously exaggerated expression, "we can go look at the temperature."

Jim gave a short laugh and accompanied her into the other room where she crossed and peered out the window. She had to wipe away some condensation but then spoke in surprise, "I think it says twelve degrees! Here, take a look and see if that's what you read."

He moved over next to her and looked out. "That's what it looks like to me also. Is this thing accurate?"

"I'm pretty sure it's very close. Yesterday it read twenty eight when the radio said it was twenty seven. I guess a cold front came through and pushed some of that warm, wet air back south."

"Yeah, I guess so. I suppose that will make it a little harder to heat the house with just the fireplace."

"I expect we can keep it livable. If it drops any more we might have a little trouble heating anything more than the living room, especially at night."

They returned to the kitchen for breakfast. When they had finished Lisa said, "Let's just pile the dishes in the sink and wait until when we have a few more before washing them. It'll use less water that way." Jim agreed and they moved back into the living room.

The fireplace had begun to knock off the chill in this room somewhat at least, but they still moved to the couch to settle in front of the fire. For the next three hours they remained in front of the fire and just talked. Maybe "just talked" isn't exactly right. They talked as friends might, discussing personal things. Both were surprised at how easily this came about and how little hesitation they felt doing this. Once Lisa remarked on this. "I'm really surprised I'm telling you all this. I mean I've only known you less than a day. I would never have dreamed I would talk about these things so easily with someone I've just met."

"You're no more surprised than I am. Normally I'm a very private person. I almost never talk about personal things with anyone else. I guess it's just a case of ... What I mean is you know how sometimes you meet someone and can't say why but have an immediate dislike while at other times you instantly know you are going to like someone. I guess I feel that way about you. I just know you'll understand and won't laugh at what I consider serious."

"Yes, that's it. I feel the same way about you. I can't say why, but I do."

"Great!" Jim kidded. "Want to get married right away?"

Lisa laughed. Then she teased right back. "We can't do that yet. I don't even know how you are in bed yet." Then she blinked as she realized she had made such a joking remark with him.

It obviously didn't bother or offend Jim. Looking her slowly up and down he immediately answered, "I'm sure we could remedy that problem if you want."

Lisa turned a little red. Then she almost stammered, "I don't think quite yet."

Jim laughed. "Sorry, I couldn't help teasing."

She relaxed and smiled at him. What he didn't realize was that a lot of the reason she had blushed so was that she had suddenly felt that she might like to actually do just that. Lisa was not accustomed to jumping into bed with someone she had just met. She wasn't a virgin, had had several lovers, but never went in for a short term affair. She was definitely not into one night stands. But there was something about this guy which seemed to really attract her.

She changed the subject. "It's getting on towards one. I suppose we should see about something for lunch." She rose and started towards the kitchen.

Jim turned and let his eyes follow her, watching the sway of her tight bottom with interest. He never went in for one night stands either but it had been some time since he had slept with a girl and Lisa was a wonderful example of what a woman should look like - at least in his opinion. It also helped that he felt a strong attraction on an emotional level. As he had said, she appealed to him as someone who would be supportive and understanding - a real friend. Then he also thought that it was a wonderful bonus that she had such a nice ass. Smiling to himself he rose and made his way after her into the kitchen.

They decided on some canned soup. While it was warming, they went to look out the window once more. The wind had dropped and the snow had stopped. The sky was clearing and sunlight made its way down to flash fire from every surface, the ice covering refracting the beams into a rainbow of colors and reflecting bright spots of light everywhere. For a couple of minutes they remained looking out at the beauty of the landscape that now held them trapped, at least for a little while.

After lunch Lisa again checked the outside thermometer. It now read ten. "I guess with the clear sky it might get pretty cold tonight. We probably should think about trying to keep in here as much as possible. I'll get a card table and we can eat in here also."

"What about tonight?" Jim inquired. "Will the bedrooms still be warm enough?"

Lisa thought for a few seconds. "Probably. I can get out a couple more wool blankets if we need them." Then she stopped for a few seconds more. "Or," she slowly said, "we could drag a mattress in here in front of the fire." Then she shook her head back and forth. "Let's wait and see how much it cools off. We can decide later."

They spent the afternoon in the living room mostly talking, although for a while they played cards. As evening neared and the power remained off, Lisa began to consider what might spoil. She could always bring in some ice from outside, but that would be a bit of trouble. The only fresh meat she had was some chicken, so she suggested - and Jim readily agreed - to use that for supper. She put together a chicken and rice dish with canned mushrooms. The oven was gas, like the stove burners, so about five she put the dish into bake. "Supper in about an hour," she announced. Then offered Jim a choice of canned vegetables.

While the meal was baking, Jim said it might be a good idea to bring in some more firewood. Lisa agreed and started for her coat. "No, let me this time. I know where it is now." She reluctantly agreed and he pulled on his own jacket and went out.

Three trips left them with a large pile of logs which they were sure would last at least well into the next day. As Jim pulled off his jacket he commented, "It does feel like it's cooling off out there." He went and looked at the thermometer. "Down to only seven now."

Lisa shivered. "I doubt the fireplace will be able to keep more than this room comfortable."

They moved the card table in front of the fireplace and ate there. When they had finished and cleared away the dishes, Lisa asked Jim to play the guitar some more. He agreed and they spent an hour and a half singing more of the old folk songs. When Jim stopped for a break, Lisa said, "You know, it surprises me a little how much those songs bring back. I mean I was only five when we moved from here but I can clearly see my dad playing and singing, right here by the fireplace. Mom and I sang along too, and I can remember clearly doing it. I haven't thought of that in years. I guess the songs bring it back."

She turned her face away and Jim saw her reach to wipe at her eye. "I'm sorry. I didn't want to bring back unpleasant memories."

She turned back slightly and he could see her eyes were wet. "No, they really aren't unpleasant. Just that they are past and gone."

She ducked her head and he saw her shoulders rise and fall and realized she must be crying. He put the guitar down and went over to place his hands on her shoulders. "I'm sorry," he said once again.

Then she totally surprised him by turning to face him and suddenly clinging tightly, her arms going around him and pulling him tightly against herself. She buried her face against his shoulder and he could feel small, silent sobs as her body pressed against him. His arms went around her to comfort her, one hand rising to stroke her hair, the other firmly pressed against her back.

They stood like that for at least two minutes while her tears stopped and her breathing returned to normal. At last she looked up into his eyes, her own still wet and red. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to break down. Thank you for understanding."

Jim continued to hold her, still stroking her hair. "There is nothing to be sorry about." Then he surprised himself by bending forward and placing a kiss on her forehead.

Lisa looked up, startled, but held his eyes with her own. He was about to apologize when she suddenly raised her arms and pulled him down, bringing his lips hard against her own. Her arms locked tightly around him and she held the kiss for a long time. At first totally startled, Jim was frozen for a second but then relaxed and fully joined her in the kiss.

When they pulled slightly apart, both looked completely surprised. Lisa was the first to speak. "I'm sorry."

He interrupted her. "Are you really? I'm not."

She smiled at him. "No, I'm not either. At least as long as you aren't offended."

He gave a short laugh. "Offended that a beautiful girl kissed me? I would have to be awfully dumb for that. Or gay and I assure you I'm not."

It was Lisa's turn to give a quick laugh. "I expect you often are kissed by beautiful girls, but this time it was just by me."

Jim's tone was stronger than either of them expected. "Don't say that! You are definitely a beautiful woman." Both were surprised by the strength of his reply. He felt he had to add, "You are a lovely and wonderful girl. I hate to hear you put yourself down."

Lisa replied, "I'm sorry. I'm just not used to thinking of myself as beautiful."

"Then perhaps you are not as smart as I think you are." This time his tone was light, teasing. Then it changed to a more serious form. "Maybe it will help if this time I initiate the kiss." Without giving her a chance to reply, he pulled her close once more and pressed his lips against hers and held her close for a longer time than before. His lips opened slightly and the tip of his tongue brushed her lips. Lisa seemed to melt against him and slowly her own lips opened and her tongue met his. This long kiss was followed by several more.

At last they pulled slightly apart and smiled at each other. Jim managed to speak and said, "Well, somehow it seems to have gotten warmer in here."

Lisa laughed, all trace of the tears now gone, and she replied, "Yes, it does seem to have warmed up a little. I hope you don't mind. I certainly don't."

His arms tightened around her. "I would never mind that." He buried his face in her hair and just held her for a long minute or two.

Lisa wasn't sure just what had led up to all this, but she didn't care. The world felt good once more. The arms around her felt strong. Protective. Secure. She felt sheltered. She didn't suddenly feel she had fallen in love or anything like that. No, she couldn't say about love, but she did feel happy and safe, no longer tangled in the huge emotional storm of the last few months. It wasn't just a sexual attraction, although there was that element to it. But looming much larger was something else. Just what, she wasn't sure but for now she felt safe and at ease.

Jim had no more idea what had happened than Lisa had. He had been attracted to her from the first but had not expected it to lead anywhere. Certainly not this, especially so quickly. He had been surprised at the force of the feelings which had struck him when she had put herself down. Uncertain just why, he still felt an incredible need to stop anything even remotely resembling a put down of this woman. He just wanted to hold her and protect her, shelter her and keep her safe and secure. Somewhere in the back of his mind the thought escaped that in addition to this he would also like some more erotic activities, but he laughed to himself at this idea, blaming it on the kisses they had shared. But for whatever reason, the idea was still there.

They spent the rest of the evening still sitting on the couch in front of the fire but now close together, his arm often going around her shoulders. Occasionally they stopped talking long enough to engage in some serious kissing. As the evening progressed the kissing took on a somewhat more erotic edge, which it had initially lacked. Those first kisses were about security and protection. Some of the later ones brought on other ideas. In fact Lisa realized she hadn't felt this much erotic excitement with some of her former lovers. She was finding this guy more than attractive in more than a single way.

Sometime around eleven, Lisa went over and looked at the thermometer once again. Surprised, she exclaimed, "It's down to two below out there!" Twisting to look upwards she added, "Clear sky. It's going to be a cold night."

jfremont
jfremont
337 Followers