All Comments on 'Short and Sweet'

by LimeyLady

Sort by:
  • 21 Comments
MaonaighMaonaighalmost 7 years ago
Author! Author! (Bit theatrical maybe, but...)

Very well done, LL. I'll go so far as to say this is the best story of yours that I've read to date. One minor error to point out: you have Chrissie saying that she and others are delivering leaflets "...in the consistency..." I think you meant 'constituency'.

And assuming it was you talking through Chrissie's voice, I'm pleased to encounter a fellow 'Global Warming' sceptic. The furore has been largely based on some scientists blithely accepting results suggested by computer models and sadly they tend to be garbage in, garbage out. Idiot politicians have jumped on the bandwagon and look where that's getting us. There may be 'global warming' (note the lower case) but is probably the same natural swing that's been happening for thousands of years. Okay, rant over. Great story, LL, let's have more of them.

LimeyLadyLimeyLadyalmost 7 years agoAuthor
Feedback for Maonaigh

You are right about the typo in "constituency". That's what happens when you trust Word's spellcheck too much! I do know the difference and did read and re-read a dozen times, but still missed it! Rats. I will amend it in due course (call me pedantic but I hate avoidable misspellings!!).

The Global Warming bit is both me and Chrissie (she's the one who uses upper case because she feels so strongly about the manufactured issue). I agree with your sentiments entirely. Okay, so maybe the population explosion is affecting the latest warming cycle, but I firmly believe the "scientists" are milking possibilities to secure massive research grants. Let's face it, it's an easy "Global" industry to manufacture. Make up a big horror story and get governments to invest trillions in investigating something that won't happen for centuries . . .

I should be so clever!!!

rusty333rusty333almost 7 years ago
exciting hope to read more.

this a great start or did I miss the beginning, will have to back and look, can't wait for more though.

rusty333rusty333almost 7 years ago
now i see

Ah now I see, Heather is back, have been waiting for this, super.

LimeyLadyLimeyLadyalmost 7 years agoAuthor
Feedback for rusty333

Thank you for enjoying the story.

It is a completely new one, introducing Chrissie for the first time but (theatrically) re-introducing Heather, who has featured in my yarns often before. Heather supposedly retired six or more months ago but won't go away. Now she's back and will appear again soon.

I'm not too sure about Chrissie. She was only supposed to appear in this "one-off" tale but does have a certain something about her. It is also a story set just about here and now (rather than years ago, like a lot of my stuff), so I guess there might be more from her to come.

LimeyLadyLimeyLadyalmost 7 years agoAuthor
Feedback for rusty333 - now i see

Hev really is back. Next up is a blast from her university past. You know what I mean: back in the days when she was footloose and fancy-free . . .

Completely unlike the prim and proper person she is nowadays . . .

Not!!!

jenorma2012jenorma2012almost 7 years ago
ok

At first I did not make the connection with Hunter's farm and Hev until the very end of the story, I liked the attack geese, that was a good touch and am glad Hev is back even for a short time

LimeyLadyLimeyLadyalmost 7 years agoAuthor
Feedback for jenorma

I'm really glad you missed "Hunters Farm", etc . . . that is exactly what I was trying to achieve. Drop a few obscure clues and only reveal the answer right at the end. Me and Agatha Christie, eh? (in my dreams!!!).

Hev's not just back briefly, by the way. She's got out of her cage and is on the loose again. I'm writing a short "university days" story about her right now.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
What's the point of this "con"?

Zero science knowledge. Who is exactly is benefitting from this global warming "con" that apparently thousands of scientists across the globe are in on? And god forbid we make the world an environmentally better place for nothing, right? What a con that is. 🙄

LimeyLadyLimeyLadyalmost 7 years agoAuthor
Feedback for Anonymous

My apologies to you and anybody else who is passionately pro global warming (everyone else apart from the individual who emailed to insult me directly).

The "point" is that Chrissie is a young girl expressing an opinion. I don't necessarily agree with her views but do not feel the need to ridicule her for having beliefs that do not match my own.

I am, by the way, a bachelor of science and able to see both sides of the "scientific" debate. To me it is obvious that mankind is contributing to the current warming cycle and I believe steps are necessary to minimize the effects and, in the process, help to save humanity from itself, if not the planet per se.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
Hmmm . . .

OK, I read your first three paragraphs and some of the comments about global warming.

It occurs to me that, irrespective of your own views about GW, including the viewpoint attributed to Chrissie without challenging it serves (along with so many other articles and commentaries on the internet and in the media) to legitimise and hence perpetuate the anti-science viewpoint. Please don't do it again.

A different Anonymous (I can't be arsed to create yet another online account just so I can post comments and stuff).

LimeyLadyLimeyLadyalmost 7 years agoAuthor
Feedback for Anonymous

I don't quite get your comments about creating a second account but assume they mean you are only one of my two "stalkers" (only joking, for goodness' sake!!).

For the record and at the danger of repeating myself, Chrissie's comments were supposed to be throwaway remarks made by a twenty-one year-old. I only ever set out to provide a free story for people to enjoy, not to recreate The Satanic Verses.

More to the point, in my opinion Chrissie (even though 100% fictional) is entitled to her view. Although I do maintain my stance in being neutral on the subject, I would observe that over $450 billion was spent on "research" in the USA alone in 2013. Even at a million a head per scientist. that is one heck of a lot of scientists. They are all devoted to their specific field of research . . . obviously!!

Please excuse my "dumb" sarcasm. As I have indicated earlier, I do tend to believe that the planet needs saving before mankind wipes out all other lifeforms. I only hope that happens before another asteroid slams down in the Gulf of Mexico and gives us all another fresh start.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
One of your best!

Great story as usual. Hunters Farm went right over my head until I saw the name Heather Hunter , then it hit me. Even when you described her black "luxuriously thick, straight mane" down her back, along with "Emerald Eyes", it didn't register. Glad to see Heather back. Hope to more of Chrissy also.

SB

LimeyLadyLimeyLadyalmost 7 years agoAuthor
Feedback for Anonymous SB

Thank you for enjoying the story. I enjoyed writing it as much as almost anything else I have done, not least due to the "clues" I dropped along the way (sad of me, I know!).

Escaped from her dungeon, Heather is back big time, Next up is a tale from her final year at uni where she lends a hand at "matchmaking". After that I think she's going to meet one of the great loves of her life, Victoria (but not the uber-sexy wrestler!).

Thanks again for reading and commenting.

LL

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
Wow, just WOW

I love all your stories. I'm from Yorkshire too so love the local references but am also drawn into each story and was saddened when you said you had stopped writing more with 'Her', so glad to see she is back....Yours are most of the best stories on here. EJ

LimeyLadyLimeyLadyalmost 7 years agoAuthor
Feedback for Anonymous

Thank you for enjoying my stories. Another Heather in Yorkshire story will be on its way soon.

germanchocolate4ugermanchocolate4ualmost 7 years ago

Thank you for the read. I enjoyed it.

LimeyLadyLimeyLadyalmost 7 years agoAuthor
Feedback for germanchocolate4u

Yours is still the best username I've seen on this site. Thank you for still reading and enjoying my ramblings. There is a whole load more to come from Heather yet. Her brief retirement has only encouraged her!!

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Another good story. Raises a lot of interesting points.

So far as global warming is concerned, I can see both sides and I personally believe it is part natural, but also I believe that human activity is also a contributory factor. The annoying thing is that there are a lot of simple things that could be done to address this (e.g. drivers who sit in cars with engine running while looking at their mobile phones - turn the engine off!), that would cost little and maybe save money. And that idiot Putin isn't helping by what he is doing in Ukraine.

That said, I prefer the term climate change rather than global warming. This is currently evident in USA at the moment (December 2022). Temperatures of minus 40 degrees Celius.

D Ellerbeck

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

A further comment on this story. I know the stories are fiction, but all are based in real locations - Bingley, Kettlewell, Micklethwaite, Albany, Sydney Cairns etc. Obviously Hunters Farm is fictional but I was curious to find whether or not there was a relatively modern housing development (20-30 years old) with a large house in the vicinity of Kettlewell. I looked on Google Maps but I couldn’t locate any. I may have to pay a visit one day. Incidentally, the only one of the places I have named that I have visited so far is Sydney.

D Ellerbeck

NewEroticaWriterNewEroticaWriter9 months ago

Great story! I loved it. Five stars.

This is the first story of yours that I’ve read. I came to it by way of ‘other stories you my like’ at the end of a nice story.

Living on the other side of the pond, I did struggle a bit with some things. But I soldiered on because you’re that good. Thank you for writing and sharing.

Now on to other stories of yours.

Rose Monroe 🌹

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous