All Comments on 'Sins of the Ancestor Pt. 02'

by Serrowyn

Sort by:
  • 3 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Loved ones?

There is no, repeat no possible reason to forgive the two people in his life that allowed this to happen to him without telling him from birth.

Zero.

What they've done to him is the worst kind of betrayal. If he forgives them and buys into their garbage, he is much weaker than you have portrayed him to be.

They allowed him to build an identity that would be destroyed. Loved ones don't do that to those they care about.

SerrowynSerrowynabout 6 years agoAuthor
Wow, am I bad at checking the comment section or what?

Identities are funny things. They change constantly as we all grow and adapt. I would argue that Erik/Katya's identity will not be destroyed. Changed heavily, yes, but then he's already suffered far worse as a young boy when he was orphaned. At that time, he struggled with pretty much every part of his life, and the one dependency he had was Sarjita. Telling him what the future held was, right or wrong, something that she could not bring herself to do.

It's very easy to stand apart and declare how wrong the actions of others are. In this instance, Sarjita has known for her whole guardianship of Erik that he was very likely to undergo this change and I can definitely see the argument that she should have told him. To my mind, it's much the same as breaking the news to a child that they were adopted. It's a staggeringly huge bit of knowledge to give out, one that cannot be taken back and will undoubtedly change a person. Sarjita tried to put off breaking the news as long as possible, only her memory failed her and she ended up missing the deadline (she thought it began on his 21st birthday, rather than finished before he turned 21).

I am not saying your opinion is wrong, Anonymous, nor that it is right. I'm saying my character made a choice, poor as it may have been.

I'm not sure who the second person you mean is: Jenny perhaps? If so, she was only told in the very recent past before the story began and has literally not had the time/opportunity to warn Erik.

HoubovyJazykHoubovyJazykover 1 year ago

I could understand not wanting to upturn his life(which had already been upturned by becoming an orphan). The best choice? Def not but I can see why.

Again I like your characterization in that Katya is not a completely drastically diff personality then Erik was.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous