Six Degrees Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

It was six degrees below zero Fahrenheit (-21 Celsius) when we arrived in Alberta. We were met by a Canadian Air Force vehicle, which transported us to the farming town of Drumheller, which was about 80 miles east of Calgary. We got there just before noon. The funeral was at 2:00pm (local time).

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"We're almost ready to go to the church." said Maggie Ross, wearing a widow's black dress. She looked tired; having cared for her husband in his last months of life had been exhausting, the mental toll even worse than the physical.

Cindy, also dressed in basic black, went to the door of the house she had not been inside of since the day she'd left in anger over her family's failure to accept her sexual orientation. Opening the door, she exclaimed "They're here, they came!" She saw her cousin Don and her BFF Teresa walking up.

"Aw, you guys came up!" Cindy said, rushing out the door. Molly came up behind her. Cindy and Teresa hugged warmly while I hugged Molly and suggested we get inside quickly.

Once inside, we said hello to Mrs. Ross and offered our condolences. Mrs. Ross introduced us to her friends that were here (and introduced me as Cindy's boss, I might add), and then insisted that we eat some of the enormous amount of food that was sitting before us.

"Oh, I'm so glad you guys came." Cindy said, and I could see in her eyes how much it had meant to her. After we ate, Cindy showed us (mostly Teresa) the house, including her room as a child. On her desk I saw a little stand with two flags, the Stars and Stripes of America and the Maple Leaf of Canada. Cindy had been born in the United States and therefore was a natural-born American Citizen, but she also claimed and held Canadian citizenship, and was proud of her Canadian heritage...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

We had not intended to, but Cindy and Molly insisted that we be part of the family at the Funeral Mass. Cindy was dressed in her formal Police uniform, with medals on her chest and the Medal of Valor around her neck. Molly was likewise dressed in her formal Police uniform, with her Medals from the Midtown P.D. and the one from the Nextdoor County Force with it. The fellow farmers of William Ross were seeing that his daughters were accomplished, and gave him reason to be proud of those accomplishments.

"Dad was cremated, and his ashes will be spread on the family farm in lieu of a burial." Cindy said. "He'll have a memorial tombstone at the edge of the cemetery. The other request he made was that we sing the Canadian National Anthem at his funeral. Since we sing 'God Save the Queen' at the end, we'll sing 'Oh Canada' at the beginning. All English, by the way."

"He'd have loved seeing that." said Molly.

And so it was. After the casket was rolled in, the priest in charge of the mass mentioned that Mr. Ross had been a part of the Canadian Air Force, and asked everyone to honor his last wishes by joining in the singing of the national anthem. And everyone did... even us American types:

O Canada!

Our home and native land!

True patriot love,

in all thy sons command.

With glowing hearts

we see thee rise,

The True North strong and free!

From far and wide,

O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

God keep our land

glorious and free!

O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

The old Canadian Air Force Officer would indeed be proud...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Teresa, we have to be getting back." I said. It was growing late, the sun just reaching for western horizon that was rising up to meet it.

"I am so grateful that you could come, both of you." said Mrs. Ross. Molly and Cindy chimed in with their agreement and thanks.

We made our goodbyes. As I hugged Cindy goodbye, I said quietly "Cindy, take all the time you need, as much as your mother needs. No need to rush back; in fact, I'd prefer if you take at least three or four days. Don't let me see you before Thursday, and that is not a request. And if it's Monday a week from tomorrow, that will be just fine."

"As you wish, mon Commandant." Cindy replied.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

It was very late, indeed the early morning hours, when I arrived back home at the Mountain Nest. As I entered the front door, I observed two dogs sitting there, side by side, looking up at me. Not really wagging their tails as they normally did, just looking up at me.

"Hey guys," I said, crouching down and petting both of them. "Have you been good boys? Have you watched over Carole and Jim and Pete?" They responded to me, but I noticed Bowser looking back towards the den.

"Okay guys, go back upstairs! Go guard Carole and Jim!" Bowser bounded upstairs, followed by Buddy. I went into the greatroom, where Laura was sitting on the sofa against the wall. I did not need to be Sherlock Holmes to figure out she was not happy.

"Hello, my love." I said as I went over and sat down beside her. "I'm sorry about Valentine's Day..."

"Hello, darling." Laura replied. "I understand. Thank you for the chocolates and the drawing. It was really cute, and Carole was ecstatic when I put it up on the refrigerator door. How was the funeral?"

"Sad, but a very nice service." I said. "Thank you for arranging the flights for us. I think it really meant a lot to Cindy that we came up."

"It was my pleasure to do it." Laura said. "I would've liked to have gone with you, except your mom definitely needed the help to look after five young babies. Todd came over with Doug, and that was six kids."

"Seven, including Todd himself." I joked. Laura barked a little laugh.

"Well," I said, "I know you can't just cross a national border at your whim, either. So... what's wrong?"

Laura looked over at me. "What makes you think something's wrong?"

"Oh, not much... except I was met at the door by not one but two outstanding dogs, who desperately wished they could talk so they could ask me to come talk to you."

"You've added dog whispering to your talents, I see." said Laura.

"I should." I said. "I'll bet it pays more than what this County pretends to pay me. Okay, stop avoiding the question. What's bothering you?"

Laura conceded. "It's Company stuff. I can't really talk about it. Casey B. Walker is raising a snit about some stuff, and I escalated it. There's a lot of tension, and that's on top of other stuff going on. You may not realize that this entire Nation is sitting on a political powder keg,and that includes its Government agencies."

"Oh, I think I do realize it." I said. "But saving the world will have to wait until the morning. Do you want a drink before I carry you to bed and fall asleep before I can get you out of your clothes?"

Laura smiled, but didn't laugh. "Sure... but just a small one."

Part 16 - The Grind and The Grit

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" blared the lovely redhead at 7:00am, Tuesday, February 16th. "Local and State races are beginning to heat up, with the primaries looming in late April. The District Attorney's race is becoming more hotly contested, as Jenna Stiles received the formal endorsement of State Senator Katherine Woodburn and other State Legislators that are part of the Women's Caucus. Incumbent D.A. Gil Krasney received the endorsement of Fire Department Assistant Chief William Jefferson, causing some controversy, as he is a County Government employee."

Bettina went on: "Public Policy Polling came out with fresh polls over the weekend. In the D.A.'s race, Krasney leads Stiles 50-44, with only 6% undecided, which is unusually low this early in a political race. Meanwhile, in State polls, Democrat Jack Lewis leads Republican Sean Stockton, 52-38 percent. Experts say that Stockton is running a 'textbook' Establishment Republican campaign, and that the Voters are simply not responding to him, as the Republican brand is very toxic both State-wide and nationally."

"And in something of a surprise," Bettina said, "several Town & County Council members are receiving strong challenges, while others face no opposition. Businessman John Colby and businesswoman Dagmar Schoen, both running as Republicans, are facing tough, well-funded Democrat challengers in November. Senator Woodburn has stated that the Democrats especially want to defeat Colby and Schoen for several positions they have taken in the last year, citing as one example their pro-EMT positions during the EMT Strike."

"Meanwhile," Bettina went on "Ian McGhillie and Edward R. Steele are also facing challenges for their seats on the Council, but are expected to win easily. J.P. Goldman, Pastor Raymond Westboro, and Kelly Carnes do not face any announced opposition at this time."

"In other news, Lieutenant Tanya Perlman of the TCPD has recovered sufficiently to be moved into rehab. She is learning to cope without the use of her legs. She was visited yesterday by the Chairman of the County Senior Citizens Board and ranking member of the Ladies Auxiliary Club, Mrs. Veasley." There was film footage of Mrs. Veasley and Tanya in their wheelchairs, with Tanya holding little Pete. "Mrs. Veasley was an Army Nurse, and lost use of her legs while serving in a combat zone. Lt. Perlman said that Mrs. Veasley's example and advice to her have been both inspiring and helpful..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Mr. Nash," I said, "you simply are not 'G-Q' enough to be a Crowbar Angel."

I was meeting with Martin and Teresa. With Cindy still in Canada, this was the Angels meeting. I immediately went to work giving Martin Nash a hard time.

"I'll work on that, sir." said Nash, not rising to the bait of my joke. If anyone dressed well in a suit and tie in this Police Headquarters, it was Martin Nash. Teresa had actually giggled a bit at my joke. She must've gotten a good pickle-tickle from Todd last night, I reasoned.

"Okay, what's going on?"

Teresa went first. "It's kind of quiet on the Vice side. They're not sure what to do with Sonali and Lainie in the Vice Room now. Anyway, we're hearing some chatter that a smuggling operation may take place soon."

"Drugs?" I asked.

"No." said Teresa. "Guns. And possibly explosives, ammonium-nitrate-type stuff. We also got a tip that the SBI thinks this shipment is a feint, a distraction, and that a much larger shipment is moving through here, but it will continue on out of State. I told our FBI friends about it, and Sandra told me they're thinking a large quantity of arms are being brought in from several places to your old home, Apple Grove."

"Hmm, interesting." I said. "And I agree that it's a feint: why smuggle ammonium nitrate into or through this County when Ward Harvester makes the shit? And I happen to know how explosive it is firsthand." I was referring to my ordeal at Ned's hands at Ward Harvester.

I then asked: "Has the SBI formally contacted you or anyone here about this?"

"Not to my knowledge." said Teresa.

"Okay." I said, then chose my words carefully as I said "Lt. Croyle,, I want you to increase surveillance on one Karen Warner Harlan. I also want you to put it out through the Underground to be on the lookout for my sister Elizabeth. If she's seen in this County, then I daresay you are right that some smugglin' is goin' awn." As Teresa jotted a couple of notes, I kept Nash in my side vision. He seemed unperturbed by my words.

"Nash, whaddya got for me?"

"Myron loves his cubicle with the door." said Nash. "Mary and David are fitting right in. They've been melting wires looking for anything to do with the Belfort Badge Gang as well as working with the FBI guys on related financial stuff. We've also opened a file on Linda Farris of Child Protective Services. Seems she's got an interesting history, sir."

"Don't keep me in suspense." I said.

Nash said "A few years ago, before you got here, sir, Child Protective Services had two incidents within weeks of each other, where children were taken out of abusive homes but then returned to those homes, and both children were beaten to death. The previous CPS Director here was removed, and also indicted for negligence. The State slipped Ms. Farris in as Director. She was from the City."

"What was her record in the City?" I asked.

"Spotty." said Nash. "She ended up in a desk job, just admin stuff, then they sent her here. What's interesting is that Myron found a long string of financial records that show she lives beyond her means, and has for quite a while. He also found that she didn't close her bank account in the City, though she opened a new one here at Second National Bank when she moved here. That old City account gets deposits every month, and not her paycheck from the State. After peeling through the layers, Mary and Lindy Linares from the FBI office made a connection... to City & Counties Bank."

"FBI is on this?" I asked. "Not letting the grass grow under their feet?"

"They're on it, sir." said Nash. "Myron also found phone records from the past. Linda Farris and Louise Belfort do know each other, and a few years ago called each other often. That decreased, but didn't totally stop when Farris moved here."

"What's her record like with our CPS?" I asked.

"No real issues." replied Nash. "A couple of CPS people were fired when she came in, possibly getting rid of deadwood while showing the world they were doing something. They've had no incidents, but do have a spotty record of who they approve as foster parents. There were some complaints from the State CPS office in Midtown, but it looks like they got that fixed."

"Any way we can look into their records?" I asked.

"Judge Watts issued a warrant when the Governor suspended Farris." said Nash. "We've been able to look at everything... except the adoption records for newborns that were taken from women at the Asylum. This County's office handled those."

"Hmmm..." I said, going into a mini-reverie. Coming out of it, I asked "Anything else on Farris? Anything more recent?"

"No sir." said Nash. "She hired Gresham & Mason attorneys. She's not seeking her job back, but wants a large settlement from the State."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Yes sir... I understand... thank you for looking into it for me, sir... yes sir... have a good day, sir."

Laura hung up the phone. Her conversation with the Director of the Central Intelligence Agency had been brief. He'd been nice, as he and she got along very well, but he'd said that Casey B. Walker had explained that 'Operation Beekeeper' was Walker's internal investigation of a potential C.I.A. mole, and that it was of such sensitivity that not even he, the Director, would be able to find out the information until the investigation was complete, or if higher level persons ordered it released. There were very, very few 'higher level persons'.

Something was nagging at Laura. Something was not right. Picking up the phone, she called Jack Muscone's boss, the DepDirector of the FBI. "Hi William, it's Laura. Where are you right now?...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I did not even trust the bug-killer with this one. I invited Myron and Mary to lunch, and after we were done I drove them in my Police SUV to The Cabin. We went out onto the back deck. I had a CD player with me, and turned it up a bit while I huddled with them.

"All right, guys, this one is way off the record." I said. "You have the right to refuse this request, as well. I need to find out some information about adoptions, from both Child Protective Services and women prisoners who gave birth at The Asylum. Women are now housed at State Women's Prison, so check there, also. I won't tell you exactly what to look for, so as not to prejudice your findings, so let me know whatever you find... and not at Headquarters or any place where we can be compromised."

"Sir," said Mary, "I'll be glad to do this, but my question is what we can do with what we find. We can't just come out and say we found something..."

I nodded, understanding what she was saying. "Don't worry about that." I said. "I'll have to handle it from other directions if we do find anything. The key is to have an answer, so that I can then formulate a solution... and in a way that doesn't come back to us sneaking around in records we are not supposed to be seeing..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Laura entered the FBI offices in the Federal Building off Courthouse Square in Town. She was led back to a small office, which was especially bug-proofed, including being inside a plexiglass cube on springs, with a device to run vibrations through the walls so that the vibrations of voices would be scrambled.

"What can I do for you?" the DepDirector asked after some small chit-chat.

"Looking for moles within the CIA is an FBI job, is it not?" asked Laura.

"Normally." said the DepDirector. "If they're based in the United States or an Embassy. Field agents overseas might be left to your Counterintelligence guys."

"Yes." Laura said. "Have you ever heard of 'Operation Beekeeper'?"

"No, that doesn't ring a bell. Why?"

Laura explained how she'd come up against a file unavailable to her, then added "I was told it was a search for CIA moles. But it makes no sense."

"Well, it definitely should be an FBI case, so I'll try to access it." said the DepDir. He did so, from his most secure computer. A message came up saying 'Operation BEEKEEPER' did not exist.

"How long before Casey Walker calls one of us?" the DepDirector asked jokingly.

"If he doesn't call at all, I'll be worried." Laura said.

"Let's go get some lunch, then. Cattleman's Club. My treat." he said. Laura accepted. At lunch she filled him in on her husband's recent successes, and Tanya Perlman's ordeal, and he filled her in on the case his people were building against the shadowy Consultant of Crime, based upon Commander Troy's breakthroughs.

When they got back... still no call from Casey B. Walker. Laura called her assistant Gayle, who confirmed there'd been no call.

Part 17 - Hubs and Connections

Thursday, February 18th. After my morning workouts, I did not go to the Station but to the Cabin to clean up. The reason was that Myron and Mary were on the way; they'd found some stuff. We talked as we ate breakfast, watching the Town come into view with the light of dawn.

They had no notes, but Myron's mind did not need any. Nor did Mary's mind, for that matter. Myron said "Sir, the records weren't hard to find. CPS mostly puts children into foster homes, and formal adoptions are handled with an offshoot agency. That goes for the prison system, as well. If a female prisoner gives birth inside the prison infirmary, and there is a relative there to take custody, they facilitate that. But many of these women have no one to care for the baby, so its put up for adoption... and sometimes over the protests of the birth mother."

"Wow." I said. "That cannot be legal."

"Neither is raping every woman at the Asylum, Commander, but they were doing it." said Mary, with some acerbity and feeling. "Here's the thing, sir: There were forty-seven live births at the Asylum in the past ten years before you raided it and shut it down for women. Those were State records, open to the Public, no problem to see or get. Ten of those were claimed by relatives and remanded to the relatives' custody. But our 'underground' research showed that only twenty-eight of the remaining babies were adopted with formal paperwork... leaving nine totally unaccounted for."

"And at the Women's Prison, since all women were moved there a few months ago," said Myron, taking up the narrative, "there have been twelve recorded births in the infirmary, and only five of those have formal adoption paperwork. And none of those births were claimed by relatives."

I emitted a low whistle. "Did you look into Women's prison before the Asylum's women were transferred?" I asked.