All Comments on 'Small Boats and Brave Men'

by GatorRick

Sort by:
  • 27 Comments
Da_Old_oneDa_Old_oneover 8 years ago

Good story but a small correction. The first Vietnam draft lottery was not held until December 1969 so the character would not have had a "high number" when he graduated UF in June of '68

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Draft Notice

i registered for the draft in 1963, when I was eighteen, and I received a draft number. (Two sixty-five as I recall) As soon as I graduated in 1968 I received my notice for induction.

olddave1951olddave1951over 8 years ago
Thanks Rick

Glad to see your story. Thanks for another great read. Enjoyed another happy ending.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Too good to be true

But so vividly told that I loved it.

D.S.

arrowglassarrowglassover 8 years ago
Good yarn!

Enjoyed it...and the ending too!

WindySwimmingWindySwimmingover 8 years ago
Disagree With Da_Old_One

Went to Annapolis out of high school in June 1967, but had a lottery draft # of 363 from registering in March that year when I turned eighteen. Loved this story. As a Vietnam Veteran, Navy Retiree, California native, NorCal raised near Mare Island & enthusiast of Ft Lauderdale taking two cruises out of there, the exposition just excites me. And w/of checking your bio, I easily predict your main character draws so much from your own life. With that, thank YOU so much for your service & for future stories. Lol!

sdc97230sdc97230over 8 years ago
Da_Old_One is correct

The 1969 Vietnam draft lottery was the first draft lottery since WWII. Between WWII and 1969, Selective Service called men to service using a system based on age. The older you were within the 18-26 year old draft eligibility range at the time men were needed, the more likely you were to be called up. The number you were assigned at time of registration was for grouping only and had nothing to do with your likeliehood of being drafted.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Sexy Eric

Missed having the description of Eric and his bride in their first sexual adventure. I imagine he is a sexual stud, good looking, well muscled, hair in all the right places!

rightbankrightbankover 8 years ago
another good story

reminiscent of other fine tales from this author.

a clarification for the readers (and commenters):

Representative Alexander Pirnie (R-NY) drew the first number on December 1, 1969. The Selective Service System of the United States conducted two lotteries to determine the order of call to military service in the Vietnam War for men born from 1944 to 1950 ...

I remember it well, I was in college, and my number was 21.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Is anyone on this site aware of the definition of fiction?

the nitpickers on this site drive me crazy, someone takes the time and energy to write a story, posts it for the pure intent of others enjoyment, and out they come! Who cares about the draft dates or the numbers involved? ITS FICTION, defined as a story from the mind of the author. Just enjoy it and keep your fact checking to yourself!

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
James Kerr?

James Kerr, Vietnam, Swift Boat, arrogant and elitist jerk. Is that modeled after another JK, Swift Boat elitist jerk who is our current useless Secretary of State?

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Boring

No surprises, no suspense, totally predictable. You lost me with that long ass job description that added nothing to the story.

jackh1962jackh1962over 8 years ago

Some people really need to remember that this not real world,but an alternate reality that exist solely in the mind of the writer.So any name similarities,draft numbers or anything else in the story exist solely and entirely in the writers mind,it's their universe that they are writing about,and how they do it is up to them. Comparisons to reality is a complete waste of time.

bruce22bruce22over 8 years ago
A hero and his life

This one is in the same pattern of this author's work. No problems either in the story or in the repetitions of plot. They are fun.

Sniper014Sniper014over 8 years ago
Great stiry

Loved your story. I served in the navy during that time period. Yes I was in the brown water. Went ashore in more then one swift boat. The only thing that I saw wrong in thecstiry was the job description. You have the form being revised 8-98. That would have been 30 years after the story time line. It should have Ben either 68 or 75 since he was offered the assignment in 1976. Other than that it was a great story and brought back memories for me.

Now off to read more of your great stories.

SampkyangSampkyangalmost 8 years ago
OH SHIT!

This is such a good, good story! Thank you writer your extremely good...

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
It's not shit it's SHE-IT

Harrison Ford said that! Your story is FAN BLOODY TASTIC Just like always! I love em. Love you all! Bye. Greg. Oh 10 stars = 100 % of enjoyment. Bye.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
Naval Hospitals

There is no Naval Hospital in Yokohama.

It is on the Naval Base in Yokosuka.

I spent a month there in 64-65.

MCPO Jim

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
What He Said

I know it's trivial but I like stories that are technically correct. There's no Naval hospital in Yokahama, the chief hospital during the Vietnam war was in Yokosuka. I was there for three weeks in 1969, and two weeks in 1970. Both times I left there to go to the Navy hospital in Oakland, Cali. Oak Knoll, they called it. BTW, I was USMC, not Navy. Other than that, a really good story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
A very particular style

This story, while having a potentially interesting plot, is written in the most dry, lifeless language imaginable! If you're a 70 year-old male American war veteran, you might enjoy it, but only if you have no interest in literature, character development, emotional engagement, or eroticism. I found this story extremely difficult to read. It is like a pack of saltine crackers: technically yes, it's food, but why would you want to eat the whole thing?

The story holds historical interest, technical interest for boat enthusiasts, and perhaps value for military clerks needing a model for an old job description. But why would a short work of fiction posted on an erotic website EVER need to include a job posting that does nothing to advance the plot? I feel like I'm being punked by someone. Is there some in-plain-sight spy code in the text I missed? I'm really trying to imagine the motivations and psychology of the author and those people who clearly enjoyed this story, but I'm struggling ***because none of it is discussed in the text!***

Give your readers some glimpses into the interior life of your characters, their struggles, flaws, and journey. Your characters are too white-and-black. Kerr was a jackass. Ok, but why? Did he have any redeeming qualities? How did he get involved in drugs, and what was the fallout, beyond his karmic capture? Eric apparently was a technical genius and moral paragon who struggled for nothing. I'm sorry to say, but that's capital-B Boring! How did he make his decisions, other than based on geography or an imagined conversation with his wife? Why did he even love Elizabeth? She's such a one-dimensional character! What was ever the appeal of Deloris, if she turned out so morally different from Elizabeth? How did the relationship with Deloris' brother develop? How did the experience in Vietnam change Eric's perspectives and behaviors? I don't want to be in awe of a man who lives mechanically, I want to step into the skin of someone new and relate to their experience of humanity, but in situations I will never encounter. Fiction should be more than a summary of events.

There really is a lot of potential in these plotlines. Keep writing, but consider new angles on some of your tried-and-true exciting situations to draw in readers, and not leaving them looking for a gallon of water to wash down the saltines.

Why did I take the time to write this? I think the author can do better!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
good read

thanks very much.

i enjoyed pace and direction

keep going

penneydog55penneydog55almost 6 years ago
Wowee

It's Like A Star Wine..." It Gets Better With Age "....Yep You Get My Endorsement ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ WOOF!

Cracker270Cracker270about 4 years ago

I grew up in Broward County. Loved the detail. Made the story better and more real

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Good Story

This is my 2nd read of this story. Didn't comment after the 1st read. Good story. I will probably read again when my old brain clouds some of the stories. 5* story.

Cracker270Cracker270almost 3 years ago

Grew up and ran boats in South Florida. Nice little feel good story and I appreciated the local references

AnonymousAnonymous12 months ago

What was the MC's age? He is written like a love struck teen

Aussie1951Aussie19519 months ago
I agree with anonymous (a very particular style )

Though his comments were long and in-depth he did have some very valid points. That’s why I give the story. ⭐️⭐️⭐️

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous