Soap Opera Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Part 22 - The Wedding of the Century

"Darling," Laura said as I brushed an imaginary speck of dust from my formal Police uniform, "you look fine."

"I have to look better than fine on this day." I said, brushing away another molecule-sized speck of dust.

"Darling," Laura said, coming up to me, "first of all, you look great, as always. Second, when you go through that arch of swords with Teresa, not one person is going to be looking at you. They will all be looking at the Bride."

She was right, I realized. I tried to relax.

It was finally Saturday, May 19th. It was a gloriously beautiful Spring day. It was going to be warm in the afternoon, but there was just enough breeze to be welcomed but not cause any problems.

Laura was one of Teresa's bridesmaids, and she looked gorgeous in the electric blue dress she was wearing. Cindy was the Maid of Honor, and the other bridesmaids were Todd's assistant Takaki Mariko and Tanya Perlman... ramps had been built on either end so that Tanya could ride up onto the raised platform.

Todd's Best Man was his business associate, best friend, and fellow-Takaki-Clan-mate Teddy Franklin. His groomsmen were Barry Oliver, Lt. Irwin (at Teresa's request), and Takaki Nagamasa, Mariko's brother and Takaki Misaki's heir.

The ceremony was taking place on the immaculate grounds of BOW Enterprises. the main building was near the northern end of the property, the front doors facing north. Parking was on the southern end of the property, where a gate could be opened, and the wedding area was nearer to the complex of buildings that made up the company. Golf carts transported guests from the parking lot to the ceremony area. Near that ceremony area, a huge, long white tent had been erected. It was air conditioned, and there were partitioned-off spaces for the groomsmen, the bridesmaids, and of course a space for the Bride herself.

The area for the ceremony had several hundred folding chairs set up. They were encircled by 32 banners, each of them 12 feet high and 2 feet wide, alternating red and white in color. The red banners sported the red-on-black six-diamond-petal star of Clan Troy, and the white banners displayed the dark blue circle with four inward-growing leaves of the Takaki Clan. Not many people knew what those meant.

The wedding was going to be a mixture of Eastern and Western cultures. Our Catholic Police Chaplain, Father Alberto Romano, was presiding together with the head Buddhist Priest of the Buddhist Center on the University Campus. Word was that Father Romano spent many hours at the Buddhist Center, talking with the Buddhist Priests and learning their traditions, including them giving him a chanoyu, a formal tea ceremony. In return, the Buddhists were given a tour of the Catholic Church in Town, and were very impressed by the architecture of the building, as well as the traditions of the ancient Christian Faith.

The Media was there, Elsie Gringer holding court with Bettina Wurtzburg, Priya looking beautiful in a sarong for the occasion, and Press representatives from around the State and the Region milling about. Politicians of every level from local to State were there, and even U.S. Congressman Gerald A. Condor and his wife were in attendance. State Senator Katherine Woodburn was wearing a white blouse and navy blue skirt, and she was showing off her luscious legs in sheer navy stockings and matte navy blue high heel pumps. Yowza.

As the personages filed in, I saw that many were TCPD Officers. Teresa had put out a blanket email that all Police were invited, but unless they'd been sent a formal invitation, they should should not get her any gifts. Many of them were going to stand behind the chairs, along the ring of banners, so that invitation-invited guests could sit in the chairs.

I saw Jack Muscone come in, along with his FBI team: Martin Nash, Sandra Speer, Ted Crenshaw, Julius Jefferson, and Lindy Linares. The DepDirector came in some moments later. He went and sat with them.

The only major candidate for political office that was not here was Della Harlow. Sheriff Daniel Allgood and his lovely wife Melina did attend, and I saw them coming in. He was wearing civilian attire, a suit and tie. Melina looked gorgeous in a royal blue dress that tastefully showed off the gorgeousness of her body. They were chatting it up with other politicians that had come, including the entire Town & County Council and their spouses (where applicable). Melina went and sat with Joanne Warner and her husband, forcing Daniel to sit with them, also. Melina and Joanne were chatting like long-lost best friends.

There were hundreds of guests, which caused Your Iron Crowbar to get the very wise idea of hiding in the big tent, at first with the groomsmen, then checking up on the Bride once she was completely dressed.

Chief Griswold and his wife were among the formally invited guests. He was wearing his Police uniform with his silver 'Retired' badge and badges of rank, and of course his Medal of Valor. He escorted his wife to one of the chairs near the front, and she began talking to other ladies as he came back to the big tent. I was just outside Teresa's 'room'.

"You're looking sharp today, Crowbar." said the Chief as he surveyed me with a practiced, critical eye.

"Hi, Chief. Thank you." I said as we shook hands. "Let's see if she's able to speak to you." She was, and we went inside.

"I just wanted to say," the Chief said gruffly, "that I'm proud as punch of you, Teresa. You've come so far, and it makes me happy to see you so happy."

"Awww, thanks Chief." Teresa said. She stood up to hug him. After a moment of chatting, the old Chief left.

Moments later, I was more than surprised when a side flap to other parts of the tent opened and an elderly Japanese man came through it. It was Takaki Misaki himself. We had expected that he would not come, as he could not afford to be sitting among the guests, immobile and exposed, for any amount of time.

Teresa and I bowed to Masaki-san, and he bowed back. His bodyguards were waiting just outside the tent flap.

"Ah, I cannot be seen publicly, Teresa-san, for which I apologize." said Misaki. "But I will be watching from afar. This is a great day for all of us."

"Thank you, Sire." said Teresa. "I will be honored to become part of Clan Takaki with my husband."

"Ah, that is what I came to tell you." said Misaki. "And Don-san should hear this also. Normally, you would become part of my clan by marrying into it. But in ancient times in Japan, sometimes sons, even heirs to a daimyo, would be sent to another clan to seal an alliance, and he might marry into that clan. In those days, those sons were called 'hostages', for lack of a better term. Todd is certainly no hostage, but I am releasing him to your clan, Don-san. I have these scrolls for you."

He presented the scrolls and we formally accepted them, opened them, and examined the hiragana characters. My scroll 'invited' me to accept Todd into Clan Crowbar as Misaki's 'gift' upon his marriage to Teresa, to further cement the alliance between Clan Takaki and Clan Troy. This was a 'BFD', a big frickin' deal.

"I would be honored to accept Todd into our Clan, Misaki-san." I said, bowing.

"He will also give you a scroll at the time you bring Teresa to the alter to give her away. It will be a pledge of his loyalty." Misaki said. "If you will excuse me, I must go. Please celebrate this auspicious occasion with joy in your hearts." With that, he bowed and we bowed, and then he left.

"That was cool." I said. "I love these ancient traditions."

Teresa agreed. "Ooooh, Todd is my 'hostage' now." she said wickedly. "I'll definitely be taking advantage of that!" I laughed heartily.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

It was almost time. Everyone was about to get ready to go when the back flap opened again. A woman in a shawl came in. If I was surprised at Misaki's presence, I was even more shocked at this one: it was my sister Elizabeth, mother of the Groom.

"I can't stay, of course," Elizabeth said to Teresa, "but I wanted to wish you a happy marriage, and ask you to take care of my son."

"I will." said Teresa, a bit shocked at seeing her future mother-in-law. Elizabeth was still a wanted fugitive in the United States.

"So, do you have something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue?" Elizabeth asked.

"My garter is blue." said Teresa. Then she displayed a thin gold bracelet on her left wrist. "This bracelet is borrowed from Cindy, and she's going to borrow one of mine for her wedding. The shoes are brand new, never worn before." The shoes were high heel sandals, all white with gold trim along the straps. "But I don't have anything very old."

"Good." said Elizabeth. "Then perhaps you'll accept this." She held out a necklace of white gold. Secured in a white gold ring was an ancient Roman coin. I recognized it: my and Elizabeth's great-grandmother had brought four such coins with her when escaping the Nazis.

"Don has one of these." Elizabeth said. "I never knew where the third and fourth coins went, but I kept this one. I was going to give it to my daughter when she married, but of course I never had a daughter. I thought about giving it to Carole when she married, but then I thought that you're a very worthy daughter, Teresa; Todd has finally done something absolutely right in marrying you."

"That's... very sweet of you." said Teresa. She had no idea; I'd never heard such praise for another person from my sister's lips. Elizabeth clasped the necklace on Teresa's neck, joining the Clan Troy necklace already there.

"I must go." said Elizabeth. "Be happy, Teresa. Don, take care of your clan. Au revoir."

"Au revoir." I replied as Elizabeth left through the tent flap and did what she does very well: disappeared completely.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"It's time." said the Best Man Teddy Franklin, poking his head into the tent via the outside flap. He then went to join Todd at the podium.

"Well, this is it." Teresa said.

"Teresa," I said, "I know you and Todd will be very happy together. Chief Griswold may be proud of you, but no one is more proud of you than I am. I love you." I kissed her forehead.

"Thank you, sir. I love you, too." Teresa managed to whisper.

"Okay... let's do this." I said.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

As the music started, played on an organ by one of the ladies of the Community Center that played the organ for her church, the Honor Guard formed at the back of the ring of banners leading to the aisle between the chairs full of guests. Their swords came out with a *CLANG!* to form an arch when members of the Wedding Party walked through.

First, a groomsman escorted the grandmother of the Groom, that being my mom Phyllis, to her seat on the front row. Then Todd and Teddy Franklin and the priests took their places on the podium. Todd had been in a small tent just north of the area, near the River.

The first two persons of the wedding party to go through the arch of swords were the Flower Girls, Carole and Marie. They were strewing rose petals along the aisle as they made their way down. We had told them they had to be solemn and serious for this occasion. That lasted two thirds of the way down, then the girls began having a giggle fit, as if giggling was how they were talking to each other. Fortunately, everyone thought they were very cute.

Then came the bridesmaids and groomsmen, alternating. First came Laura, then Barry Oliver, then Mariko, then Lt. Irwin (in a tuxedo), then Tanya, driving her regular wheelchair and not the Tank, then Nagamasa. As we waited to go through the arch, Cindy was right in front of us. She turned around and winked at us, then went through the arch and down the aisle.

*CLANG!*

The Honor Guard made their final arch, and Teresa and I stepped through it, her right hand through my left arm. We stopped just past it, at the entrance of the ring, waiting for the music to change to 'Here Comes the Bride'. When it did, everyone stood up and looked back.

Laura was right: nobody was seeing me. They were seeing a beautiful woman in a perfectly fitting bridal gown that showed off her hourglass-shaped body. Teresa's face was radiant under the veil that really did not cover her face at all.

As we began walking down the aisle, I saw Todd's face light up upon sight of his Bride, and his brilliant grin grew even more brilliant. Cindy was looking at Teresa almost in awe, and with great happiness for her Soul Sister. Tanya was as perky and rosy-cheeked as ever, and even Mariko allowed some happiness to show through her normally passive face.

We got to the podium, me between Todd and Teresa. Father Romano began the service.

"We are gathered here today in the sight of the Infinite, and the presence of these friends and loved ones, to celebrate one of life's greatest moments, to give recognition to the worth and beauty of love, and to add our blessings to the words which shall unite Teresa and Todd in holy matrimony."

When he said "Should there be anyone who has cause why this couple should not be united in marriage, they must speak now or forever hold their peace.", there were no objections. This was not 'Days of Promise', this was the real deal.

"Who is it that gives this woman to this man?" asked Father Romano.

"Me." I said. "And her Police family." Father Romano smiled; after all, he was a Captain in the TCPD, and a member of that Police family.

I then put Teresa's hand in Todd's. Before I backed away, Todd took a scroll out of his jacket and presented it to me with a bow. I took it with a bow, then turned and went to the far left end of the first row, and sat down next to my mom. I was at the end so that my height and my big head would not block anyone else's view.

Father Romano led Todd and Teresa through the ceremonial exchange of vows. I noticed that Teresa's vows did not include the old-school 'to obey', and neither of their vows included 'forsaking all others'. After all, this was the center of the universe for open marriages, our little Town & County, I thought to myself.

Then the Eastern traditions 'intervened'. Led by the Buddhist priest, Todd and Teresa lit candles and incense, then recited words of a traditional Buddhist wedding. Todd said "Towards my wife I undertake to love and respect her, be kind and considerate, provide gifts to please her."

Then Teresa said "Towards my husband I undertake to be hospitable to the family and friends of my husband, protect and invest our earnings, discharge my marital responsibilities lovingly and conscientiously." In Eastern cultures, the wife took care of all the household finances, hence the vow.

Then they put wedding rings on each other's fingers, with traditional lines as guided by Father Romano. Then came another Eastern ritual, one I liked.

As the Buddhist priest explained to everyone, Todd poured green tea for Teresa and offered the porcelain cup. Teresa turned it three times, sipped, and repeated that until she'd finished the cup. Then Teresa offered Todd his own cup with tea, and he ritually drank his portion. Those porcelain cups would be kept by them for the rest of their lives, as well.

All rituals done, they were pronounced man and wife. Father Romano said "Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you Mr. and Mrs. Todd Burke." With that, the traditional music started up, and Todd proudly walked down the aisle with his lovely wife Teresa on his arm. Then Cindy and the Best Man Teddy Franklin followed them, then Barry Oliver and Laura, then Lt. Irwin and Mariko, and finally Nagamasa escorted Tanya. After that, I got up and escorted my mother down the aisle. Two mischievous little girls came with us, smiling brightly.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The reception was long and, quite frankly, boring. A million photos were taken, it seemed. Many of the politicians wanted photos with the happy couple, and Todd happily obliged. Teresa endured it.

My favorite picture was one that Teresa asked for: Carole and I posed with her, Carole standing on a chair between us. Of course I remembered the act of limitless courage that had made that photo possible.

The cake was cut (with Teresa's short sword, I might add), and two mischievous girls went and got second helpings, earning them a 'talking-to' by the father of one of those girls.

It was too early to have a dinner, but there were a lot of hot and cold finger foods that basically made a meal. Laura was finally freed from photo-taking, so she, Carole, Marie, and I found a place to sit and eat... and of course I observed all of the throng of people. And some interesting observations I made.

And there was the Press. Elsie Gringer corralled Todd and Teresa for an interview. "Mr. Burke, you are now off the market as one of the most eligible Bachelors in the country. How did this lovely lady land you?"

Todd said with his grin: "I think I was lucky to land her. I'm very, very happy."

"Where are you going on your honeymoon?" Elsie asked.

"We're keeping that close to the vest." said Todd.

"We're not doing too much right now." said Teresa. "We'll take a trip later on, when things settle down." She meant the Independent State Counsel, and the portion of it aimed at Your Iron Crowbar.

Meanwhile, Bettina corralled me. "Commander," she said "what was the meaning of that scroll Todd gave you?"

"That was part of the Eastern rituals." I said, leaving it at that.

"How do you avoid nepotism charges, now that Captain Croyle is married to your nephew?" Bettina asked, and rather impolite to do so, I thought.

"The nepotism laws don't apply to Captains and above." I said. "So no changes will be made, and Captain Croyle will continue her stellar work as Captain of Operations for the TCPD." Bettina knew this, so why was she asking? I thought to myself.

"Now that her wedding day is past, will she be answering the subpoena from the Independent State Counsel?" That's the deeply corrupt, arrogant Press for you... asking questions like these in the middle of a wedding reception.

"I'm sure she and her lawyer are working out those details." I said. "And I have no more on that at all. I'm just enjoying this celebration today, and Robert Mullen can't take that away." That was a 'hint' to Bettina, and fortunately she got the message.

"Where are they going on their honeymoon?" Laura asked me when nobody else was around for a moment.

"Our lake house on Lake Watchacoochie." I said. "They're only spending a couple of days up there, and Joanne and Seth are going up there with them."

"As bodyguards?" Laura asked.

"Not much gets by you, Gold Crowbar." I said with a grin. That earned me a punch on the shoulder, though lovingly applied.

Part 23 - Epilogue

Her husband was chatting with a bunch of wealthy friends of Todd through BOW Enterprises, doing what he liked to do best: politicking. Melina Allgood went and got a piece of cake and looked around. She saw her sister and her ex-husband and the two Flower Girls at a table, and thought about joining them. She also saw Joanne Warner and her husband Seth, but they were talking to Theo Washington and his wife, who were black, meaning that Melina would not be going over and chatting with them.

Melina knew that Teresa was like her in that they'd both fucked both Todd and Jack Burke. But where Teresa preferred Todd, and fallen in love with him; Melina had preferred Jack, and had been in love with him. After the incidents leading to Jack's forced exile, Melina had 'settled' for Don Troy. That had worked out only in that she'd come to this Town with him, and had ended up in her meeting her husband Daniel, and having two wonderful children with him.

And now Teresa was going to be the mother of Melina's child by Todd, little Doug. Teresa had done Melina the courtesy of telling Melina she was going to adopt all of Todd's boys as her own, including Doug, and Melina had signed the document relinquishing all maternal rights. She loved little Doug, but he was a reminder of a bad time in Melina's life, and a mistake made... perhaps like Teresa's father being unable to cope with the daughter whose birth was the cause of Teresa's mother's death.