Song for a Still River

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
BurntRedstone
BurntRedstone
9,890 Followers

Tonight, she'd just helped her fall asleep to ensure she'd stay that way until the morning when they'd wake together.

The showing the art gallery held this week had been a success, and her bank account was much healthier for it. She'd only presented two of her new pieces. It was best not to flood the market.

She was treading as lightly as she could with her newfound abilities to prevent her from appearing on the radar of this mysterious Hidden Council or some such. The strange... Tolkien-ish dwarf man in Germany had such a thick accent she'd missed some of his words. Granted, he'd spat most of them at her in his fear and impotent rage. More frustrating, he hadn't really given her any details about what she was other than not human and a threat.

This avoidance of drawing attention to herself didn't mean she wasn't using her new skills. Now that her immersion phobia was broken, she secretly learned about her abilities by visiting different rivers, streams, creeks, and brooks to commune with the distinct presences in each. She picked up a kind of excitement and relief with each link she made. The Hudson was almost overwhelming in its response to her. She'd discovered that she was immune to the frigid temperatures of the water and always felt energized when she ended her visits. She also received the impression that each waterway was... changed... improved in some undefined way. She still had so much to learn.

Tonight's activity strayed well outside her light touch policy. She was aware of the exception, but Peter was a loose end she needed to deal with.

Besides, she really did like the apartment, and the spot above the mantle was the perfect location for displaying something very special to her.

Song for a Still River, the painting she did of the river where she'd begun her new life, was the most powerful piece she'd ever painted and would not go to the auction house. It held far too much significance for her to ever let it fall into anyone else's hands.

Tomorrow, she'd visit the building to begin the process of transferring the condo to her name. There was probably a waiting list, but she'd soon be at the top. After all, her painting needed to have a beautiful new home.

She had a new, wondrous life to begin. She smiled to herself as she knew she could get it for a song.

Epilogue

Dr. Karin Eider was an early riser. She enjoyed the peace and quiet the hours just after sunrise afforded her. She'd arrive early at work and settle in behind her desk with only the small desk lamp and the glow from her laptop screen to illuminate the dim room. She'd drink her coffee as she caught up on her email and open any letters she received as well.

This morning followed that same pattern with one exception. She had very few emails but a large stack of letters. Nothing for it but to power through them.

It was almost eight-thirty when her assistant arrived. The young woman leaned in the doorway with a wide smile.

"Good morning, Doctor!"

Karin looked up in surprise at the girl as she'd lost track of the time. "Ah! Good morning, Helen!" She fondly recalled the days when she was so young.

The assistant gave the doctor a puzzled look. "You haven't opened the box yet!"

Karin blinked at her. "What box?"

"It came in last night by courier and has all the office staff curious!" Helen said as she walked into the room. She lifted a large flat box, which had been resting up against the front of her desk. The doctor had obviously missed it in the dark office.

Karin grinned at the woman. "Ooo! I hope it's a present!"

"Who's it from?" Helen asked.

The doctor examined the address label, and her eyes lit up excitedly. Her joy was infectious as Helen began giggling happily. They worked together to open the top carefully. Helen held the box flaps open while Karin lifted the bubble-wrapped item from the box.

Next, they peeled off the bubble wrap. The doctor looked her assistant in the eye. "No pop—" she began as a single snap sounded between the young woman's fingers. The doctor pulled the wrap from Helen's hand and flung it behind her with a mildly frustrated look at the woman.

An envelope was taped to the tissue paper, so she carefully removed it and opened it. The letter inside was just Lorelei's simple thank you message and a wish that this gift brought her happiness.

"That was really sweet of her to paint you a picture!" Helen said. She'd seen similar gifts in the past, though none so large or well-wrapped. She prepared herself to compliment the example of amateur effort. Her waiting room had a number of these attempts on display.

Karin carefully peeled the tape from the tissue paper wrapping the item. As the paper fell away to display the oil painting in the simple wood frame, she gasped.

Surprised by the strength of the doctor's reaction, Helen moved to stand beside her, and her jaw dropped. "Oh my god, it's beautiful!" This was nothing like the poor attempts at art most patients sent to the doctor. A second later, she was far more excited. "Doctor! That's you!" she exclaimed, pointing to the woman on the bridge. There was no question in her mind even though the figure showed just a hint of facial features. She couldn't explain it. She just had the impression it couldn't be anyone else.

She looked to the doctor and saw tears running down her cheeks. But her trembling lips were smiling, and her eyes held a profound peace and joy. Helen looked back at the art. The river running through the painting carried her eyes along with the current, but they always returned to the woman in the green dress.

"She was right. You have to witness one in person," Karin said softly.

"Doctor?"

She shook her head. She couldn't explain it. She didn't have the words.

"So, should we hang this in your reception area?" Helen asked with a slight smile, as that was where she worked.

Karin dabbed her eyes with a tissue and chuckled. "Is there room on the wall behind your desk?"

Helen looked absolutely scandalized that such gorgeous art would be behind her.

"No, this is coming home with me. I'd never get any work done with this on display anywhere in the building," the doctor explained. "Today, though, we'll hang it in the reception area so visitors and the other doctors can see it. Make sure you mention it to Dr. Weser!" The old blowhard was a self-proclaimed art expert and wouldn't shut up about his collection. This should take him down a peg or two!

Helen clapped her hands gleefully and rushed out to take down an existing painting she wasn't too keen on.

Karin thought about the day she stood on the bridge with the sad young woman. It had been a moment of connection she would never forget.

She hoped Lorelei was setting her own course to happiness. Glancing at the painting, she felt her heart fill with contentment again.

As the power of art is its ability to evoke emotion, with her own surging through her, she realized Lorelei might just be the most powerful artist she'd ever seen.

Karin wondered where her breathtaking talents would take her.