Songbird - The Awakening Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Vedi? È venuto! Io non gli..." I stepped back into the falling water and let it rinse the lather from my hair, closing my eyes so a not to get soap in them.

I heard a strange hiss, like water hitting something hot. Then a warm hand touched my cheek. I gasped, going stiff all over, afraid to open my eyes. Then I heard Ember's voice. "Please," he whispered, running his hands through my hair. "Please, keep singing."

As a general rule, naked bodies meant nothing to spirits, and few really understood metahuman nudity taboos. Some didn't realize such taboos existed until they'd upset someone. Ember was not here to oogle me, and would likely not understand if I accused him of doing so.

"Please," Ember begged, his voice so soft I could barely hear it. "Please, I'll do anything you want. Just keep singing."

I opened my eyes. Ember stood before me, fully clothed, and, despite the shower's spray, completely dry. Any water that hit him hissed away into steam. His red hair had been replaced by flickering flames, and his brown eyes were opened wide is awe and desperation.

I took a deep breath. "Mi metto..."

Ember closed his eyes, a look of absolute bliss on his face. I saw his lips form the word "Beautiful."

I continued to sing, all shyness forgotten in the face of such platonic admiration. I had a good voice, and my mother had paid for expensive singing lessons to train me to use it. She had considered it an exercise in discipline and self control, and had been upset, to say the least, when I'd expressed desire to become a professional singer. After that, I'd been forbidden to perform in public. Now she was dead, but my career as a singer was still denied to me. Drawing that much attention to myself wouldn't be safe.

When I finished Madame Butterfly's aria, Ember sighed. "That was beautiful."

I smiled. "Thank you. I've got a good voice. Now, would you mind getting out of the shower so I can finish washing?"

Ember shook his head. "There was more to that than a good voice! You have power."

I looked down, embarrassed by his praise. "It's just good singing, Ember. I mean, it's certainly very pretty, but-"

"It was not just pretty," Ember interrupted me. "It was magic."

I blushed. "Thanks. Please let me finish my shower."

Ember opened his mouth, closed it, sighed in frustration, and left. I finished cleaning myself in silence.

12