All Comments on 'Sophia Continued Pt. 01'

by northlander

Sort by:
  • 60 Comments
romaq7705romaq7705over 13 years ago
good but..

good but not quite up to par to the VERY high castlestone bar. thanks for writing and i'd like to see where you go with this classic.

jriggandukejriggandukeover 13 years ago
wonderful

I agree with romaq7705 but then again I think there are very few if any that could meet the 'bar'. I am saddened that Castlestone is unable to finish the story but you have made a very good start. I like the change of view and I think that you may well be able to give the story a well deserved conclusion.

Keep up the good work no matter what the trolls say!

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
At last new Sophia chapter

I've been wondering long time what's going to happend next at Don's, Maria's and the girls life, hope you will write couple chapter's, that we know what happens next, good start

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Thanks!

Please finish this great story.

LeFrog08LeFrog08over 13 years ago
Nice try, Northlander, I agree with Romaq, but...

It's not quite up to CS's style and humor, granted... but you, at least, are doing a follow-up to this wonderful story and I thank you for it. Nice try here, we saw a contrite Barbara, a beginning of closure on that front; I hope that in part 2(3,4?) you can work Don and Maria back in there- so much tension between these two!- along with the PDA... and throw in one or two PIES or CAKES...or a TURKEY(those who have followed this saga will understand).

BGeorgeBGeorgeover 13 years ago
Yes, please continue!

Thanks for continuing this wonderful story, I'm looking forward to seeing how you finish it up.

There were a couple of things that always bothered me about the original story, though (mostly the girls' treatment of him as a cook and a servant rather than inviting him in for movie nights, and their insisting that he needs "polished up" instead of accepting him for the awesome guy he obviously is). This seemed to improve somewhat toward the end of the original chapters, but I'd love to see these aspects of the characters fixed rather than continued.

Good luck with the rest of the story, I'm sure with the quality of the original, expectations will be high :). I think I like where you are going with the redemption of the ex.

bruce22bruce22over 13 years ago
Good Luck to You

You have taken on a really tough deal. I would say that the present Barbara sounds like a candidate reconciliation and the original sounded like a nut job. Perhaps counseling does something useful. She is certainly doing everything possible to make Don move on to Marie. We still have to understand Marie's problem before it can be solved. If it is not clear, I thought that Barbara was different from the woman in the present chapter.

OccamspiledriverOccamspiledriverover 13 years ago
You are to be commended

You are to be commended for talking on a difficult task as adding on to a Castlestone story. I hope it is as well received.

I see this as more selfishness on Barbara’s part; seeking to ease her own conscience. Bringing everything public again will only cause more embarrassment to Don and the girls. I am sure he would just as soon let it all remain a fading memory in the public mind. He is moving on Barbara should too. In fact I can imagine Don urging her o let the matter drop.

If she wants to atone pay him back the money he lost.

HowardpHowardpover 13 years ago
Thank you

As a latecomer to 'Lit' I have read a lot and am always depressed by abandoned stories. The better the story, the more it hurts to not have an ending. To find that the author has gone on adds to the loss. 'By your works you are known' is never more true than when applied to authors. Don is a man we would have like to meet, shake hands, have a beer, build something with. Too many authors write for therapy and I hope it's working so that writing keeps them from doing. CS writes stories of alter egos and recovery from mishaps. Man overcoming adversity with the love and help of good women. I wouldn't worry about the crazy humor of the PDA segments. I added you to my notify list, waiting for Maria and her friends to brighten my life and Don's. Thanks again.

C_frommnC_frommnover 13 years ago
All of This About

Barbara wheres Maria and Friend's the 1's who have taken too Him "Big Time"

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Thanks

I am so glad someone finally picked up the gauntlet and decided "enough is enough". As other fans of the story can attest we were very sad to see this really good story unfinished.

I commend you for working on this and after reading this part I can tell you really read the story and are trying to put the finishing touches on it as the original author would like to see done.

Thanks, also, to Castlestone for starting this.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Thanks

I hate when a grand story goes unfinished. Please finish this one.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Thanks for continuing this wonderful story!

To echo what all of the other commenters said, Thanks for continuing this story and please finish it for all of us. You're to be commended for having the guts to continue a deeply complex and poingent story that has set dormant way to long. Good luck in finishing it.

OldHidekiOldHidekiover 13 years ago
Waiting and waiting.....

I am glad that someone is going to take a swing at this. Barbara was in sessions where whe asked how to make it up to Don, and it did show how far she would have to go. Nothing happened after that, so I don't know where Castlestone was going to go with that. You have made Barbara into a somewhat likable character, and pinned everything on Don's sisters. It will be interesting to see where this goes.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 13 years ago
Thank you

Thank you.

This story required a denouement as they call it in lit classes.

Harryin VAHarryin VAalmost 13 years ago
shining up a pile of cow shit .... doesnt make it NOT cow shit

the ORGINAL story SOPHIA was crap... an absurd vile moronic story that was vile Male ashing at its best.

so far here I aint impressed

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Forget any critics

Hi.........forget any of your critics. You've done a great job on a story that was sadly left unfinished. You have a lot of new fans who have followed you from CastleStone. Thankyou

tazz317tazz317over 12 years ago
A MAN OF ALL REASONS

and a man for all seasons, TK U MLJ LV NV

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
Thanks for the continuation

After reading Ch. 4 of Sophia I was so distressed that it wasn't continued to the finish, then found that the author had tragically died. Truly a shame, a very creative individual.

Thank you for finishing the story. You have done an admirable job. Keep up the excellent work.

HardYakkaHardYakkaabout 11 years ago
@Harryin VA

You actually read nearly 40 pages of a story that you think is crap, so crap that you were keen to continue reading here. I don't normally replay to posters here but you are truly piece of work, so much so that I couldn't resist saying that to you. You actually love this genre but are scared to admit it. Akin a closet gay who gets all loud and nasty against gays just so someone wouldn't work him out for what he really is.

As far as the story here is concerned, it's not bad so far. Sure, nightstand's style is different and he might not be as witty as late CastleStone [R.I.P. brother], but so far it's pretty good. Sometimes writers who try to finish someone's else story can rush prematurely. It doesn't seem to be the case here. Good work. :)

TavadelphinTavadelphinabout 11 years ago
Pretty able start -

It is a real challenge to try to finish another s work - and you are to be commended for trying - either way.

Starting with the person who had the least dialogue and yet probably the easiest to continue with was a good idea - gets in the mind of Stone - good luclk -

MattblackUKMattblackUKabout 11 years ago
Northlander you did a 5* job!

Well done!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 11 years ago

You just fucking ruined it. Half your facts aren't even straight and you are way too fast paced for the story. Don's sisters didn't hate him as you have portrayed them here. Megan and Robin were expressly forbidden by Don from talking about his personal life to Barbara. So, why you have them here spilling their guts to her is beyond me. Barbara's interaction with girls here was preposterous. And her writing that letter to Maria, not any less so. I could get with the idea of the letter if it had been like 5-10 years later. And where the hell did Molly land from? I certainly have no recollection of Barbara having real friends from CastleStone's story , and certainly not one like Molly.

I get that you were trying to continue someone else's work and that you have your own style. But you could have at least held true to the facts as they were. I really hope that your next chapter isn't a bloody disappointment too.

northlandernorthlanderalmost 11 years agoAuthor
Hey Anonymous

Who Crapped in your cornflakes. Just a quick couple of questions. Sisters. If your sisters knew about the affairs and not only did not warn you, but went to court and gave perjured evidence against you, wouldn't you be justified in believing that they hated you. Also after Maria was trying to get the girls to be more pleasant to their mother, don't you think that they are likely to let a little more out. While I don't criticize many stories, at least I have the guts to sign my name, not hide behind anonymous. Tell me, how many stories have you written and put out in the public eye.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Dear Mr. northlander

I am the anon from 07/23 and my name is Marcus. I just recently started using literotica and rarely ever comment on anybody's work. So you see, from my POV there wasn't really any reason to register myself under a pseudo-name. Also, I hope you could find your way recognize that reading your version of the tale just after finishing with CastleStone's, how I might have been just a tiny little bit compelled to leave a note. I must, however, apologise for my previous outburst and applaud you for your effort. If CastleStone has really passed away(god rest his soul), he must be rolling in his grave and crying his eyes out for the way you have so abysmally butchered his story and his characters.

While I am no Shakespeare, I think being a human being with a brain, I am allowed to have an opinion about things. To the points you made then. Sisters - thinking that they hate you is completely different from them really hating you. If you go through CS's version you will see that at one point they were mentioned to be quite furious with Barb for her activities. But then again, other instances might point to them living vicariously through Barb's exploits. So I will give you this, that their real feelings have been left ambiguous.

Daughters - while Maria might have asked them to be more pleasant, this doesn't indicate in any way that they should be completely open about all of Don's personal business.

Now, how about the other points I raised?

P.S. Your other two chapters were even more disappointing. Sucks how you can't even remember CS's characters' real names before introducing your own.

JohnnyGaltJohnnyGaltover 10 years ago
To Anonymous 08/02/13

" If you go through CS's version you will see that at one point they were mentioned to be quite furious with Barb for her activities"

Did you read the same story I did?

THEY URGED BARBRA TO START her affairs and were "her biggest cheerleaders"

What they were furious about is that in the fall out from Don and Barbara's divorce THEIR husbands started digging into THEIR past affairs, and they both got cut out/loose

If that is kind of behavior is an indication of "sisterly love", then thank God, my sisters don't love ME that way

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
Definitely a different feel...

It was interesting... at first there didn't seem to be much difference... but as I read on somethings just seemed out of whack... but if you could have written just like the original author while it would say as lot about your ability to immerse yourself in them it would not have shown YOUR writing style...

A few points...

While I seem to recall it being pointed out how they'd both lost THEIR friends, that could have meant the friends (using the word loosely) that they had in common - Molly could just as easily been ONLY Barbara's friend...

While the original story never actually SAYS his sisters hate him their actions sure would be tough to reconcile with LOVING sisters...

Don DID actually know about the secret club - they sat down and told him about it. Though they did actually tell him the club's name was something different the intent behind it was the same...

The first interaction we had with Barbara actually DID involve her saying self-hateful things so the idea that she would do something to repair as much damage as she could (especially after her children started acting like they loved her again) is not unbelievable...

I'm surprised that Richard would volunteer some of the information he did though...

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
well done

Hey Anon of 7/23/13 do you have any idea how extremely hard it must be to finish a story by somebody else, esp one as well written & crafted as Sophia. Of course the pace & feel of it will be different, give northlander a break, I think he did quite well. * 4

juanviejojuanviejoalmost 10 years ago
I give it 5 stars and....

Harry from Virginia is still ass! Thank you for finishing this story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Got the story going but...

Different writing styles - northlander's being lacking in interactive banter of the characters, especially Don and the girls....less descriptive than original...but should get the job done anyway. Actually, I had expected FTDS to take up the challenge when Part 4 ended so abruptly. Still can't figure out why the title is Sophia. Anybody?

tazz317tazz317over 9 years ago
A GOOD STORY CAN UTILIZE AN AUTHORS TALENT TO CONTINUE

in this we have both for chapter 1. TK U MLJ LV NV as for CASTLESTONE RIP and thank him for his contributions to the literary. mlj

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago
Anon re title

Title refer to Sophia because how Don like Sophia Loren and how Marie looks like her.

Fantastic job of continuing the story. 5 stars

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
To Harryin VA and Anonymous 08/02/13

Both of you appear not to understand the original story. You are now re-inforcing the general statement: for IQ, half the population is above 100 and half the population is below 100. You both are on the lower side!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
Nice!!!

You did Castlestone proud......

rightbankrightbankover 7 years ago
we'll see

so far it is interesting but not compelling

indictment introduced this early seems a bit premature and extreme.

silentsoundsilentsoundover 7 years ago
Liked it ok.

I guess Barbara having a change of heart is nice but would have preferred if she had been brought low with the other assholes first.

KenfromIndyKenfromIndyabout 7 years ago
Well done, happy to find your continuing Sophia!!

I can add my praise, double praise one for continuing the story! I do not know what happened to CastleStone but your guess is likely (sadly). My second praise is to compliment you on the tone of your writing it did seem to have CastleStone feel. Look forward to next part. I fully understand why you did not continue in LW. Really only the first part of CastleStone should have been! I am glad when authors don't shift from LW when started there (despite LW being the harshest criticism)!

Thank you!

Keep writing and I will keep reading!

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago

I commend you effort taking on this difficult task. Castle stone{RIP} is a hard act to follow up. He put set things such as the children promising NOT to talk about what is going on with daddy of which the characters steadfastly upheld. good luck with the story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Why

Why is it called "Sophia"? Where did I miss that being explained?

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
PREVIOUS ANONYMOUS QUESTION 10-11-18

Wikipedia says "Houseboat" is a 1958 romantic comedy starring Cary Grant and Sophia Loren.

Don is a lover of old movies (and music), including especially Sophia Loren. When he met Maria, he was struck by her resemblance to Sophia Loren. Because of this, he watched Houseboat repeatedly (daily?) for weeks, only stopping when he gave up hope that Maria could ever be in love with him.

The question by anonymous should not have been asked, for two reasons. 1). The explanation is given early in the story by CastleStone. Read story before ask questions about story. However, I can understand skip/scanning -- I did considerable in CastleStone's story (not so with northlander. His is tighter). But if you missed it in the story, do not ask questions until you read comments. 2) The comment by Master_Falcon90 6-1-15 has already answered the question.

Paul in Oklahoma

cybojicybojiover 5 years ago
Thank you

For picking up the sword on this story. You did a great job. I would also like to write a continuation also. 5 plus

ojalalalaojalalalaover 4 years ago
Thank you for continuing this story...

So far, so great! - ojalálala

BlueEyd2BlueEyd2over 3 years ago

Thank you!!! Wonderful job.

dgfergiedgfergieabout 3 years ago

Good pickup on the unfinished story of Sophia. Keep going, sorry to hear about the originating author, have you heard anything else?

bereznikbereznikalmost 3 years ago

I like the continuation of the original story, Well done!

JacktacularJacktacularalmost 3 years ago

Thanks for this, I’m sure Castle would’ve loved it!

Cringo31Cringo31over 2 years ago

I found this to be a quality continuation of a wonderful story. Thank you for doing this.

dgfergiedgfergieover 2 years ago

Very good, and thank you for continuing the 'Sophia' story. Barbara, such a wonderful name, NOT! That is my ex's name from 40 years ago, don't get me started on her but the last 40 years were good with a woman who loved me and I her. Love where the story is going, the shit is going to hit the fan! Kara will rule and what goes around comes around and do unto others as you would have do unto you but do it first! The story continues and looks good so far.

Thicknrich69Thicknrich69over 1 year ago

Thank you for continuing the story. To leave it unfinished was a travesty.

snook5053snook5053over 1 year ago

Thought was very good. Could you maybe provide a continuing story after they were married?

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Always wanted more of her side of the story, I a big fan of alliteration.😇👍

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

In picking a husband or wife…….temperament governs long term. Lust has seemed to take first position in consideration nowadays……but this form of lust is directly related to ‘newness’ …..or more usually referred to as ‘STRANGE’. It vanishes with its very experience. It’s ephemeral. Like the high of eating sugar too long. It doomed Barbara. Temperament is best evaluated over time……like looking at a great painting……the subtleties and character only surface with time of observation. Lust can still show in these instances, but perhaps later with a deeper experience between the two parties……in this case it endures …..sometimes permanently. R. H.

GrandEagle53GrandEagle5312 months ago

Thank you from me too!!!!!

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

Aye. Another hearty thank you from this fan!

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

Sad. Contrived, with the best intentions at heart, it is out of self centered character for ex-wife Barbara to do the right thing in a 'damascene moment'. Nice try, though...

FlynnTaggartFlynnTaggart2 months ago

Glad to see this story being continued. I like the dive into the ex-wives mindset, one of the more fascinating bits from the original. How someone could ruin their life so bad, have so many regrets but never see what they were doing was wrong until it was too late. 5 stars so far.

AnonymousAnonymous26 days ago

"played the loving sexy wife at home"... er...nope. From Castlestone's story it was clear that Barbara reserved all her passion (remember the sex book with annotations by her own hand?) for her lovers. This was the first contradiction that hit me in the face. Also, giving Maria a letter without telling Don? There is no way for the girls to do it behind their father's back, specially after everything that happened. There are many others. Also, just one page of superficial thoughts is clearly not enough for the depth of her betrayal. The story also leaves a lot of loose ends (the sisters' children paternity, for example).

It was a well-intentioned attempt, but fell really short of the mark. I wonder if another writer could do a better job, or who needs to be asked for authorization to write another ending since CS is not among us anymore.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 15 hours ago

Thank you for continuing the tale, 5 stars

somewhere east of Omaha

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous