Southern Tide Vol. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I know...I just can't believe she didn't say anything to me. Are you sure?"

"Why don't you talk to her and see if she brings it up. If she doesn't say anything about it, you can tell her what I said. I'll take full blame for any backlash that comes your way. It's time to step up to the plate Derek. Forget the high school drama."

"Yeah..." he said, still deep in thought. "Thanks for telling me."

"Are...you going to be alright? Or should I take Joshua with me after all?"

"No, no. I'm good. This news was just unexpected. I'll talk to him and Stephanie. I'll make things right."

"Okay. Well, I'll be checking on him later. If you still want to have a sleepover, you can get his bags from my mom."

"I will."

She said her goodbyes to him, and Joshua who had followed them to the door. He hadn't caught their private conversation and she was glad. She had made enough excuses for Derek. Now it was his turn to pick up the pieces. She walked back to the elevator alone, and wondered if she had really gotten through to him. The shock of the news had probably taken its toll, and for the first time in her life, she actually pitied him. She hoped that their last conversation would wake him and cause him to realize the depths of his responsibility.

Brian lay down on his couch, flipping through a series of sports channels. Even though one of favorite teams was playing right now, he kept switching channels, hoping to find something that would distract him from the thought of Kiara. It had only been a couple of hours since he'd last seen her but already, he missed her.

Kiara had mentioned that she would be spending the day with Joshua and Derek. She wanted them to know that they were now a couple. He wished that he could have been there with her. Derek was sure to give her a hard time, and this time he wouldn't have kept his mouth shut. But this was a private affair and she wanted to handle it alone.

Still, he felt nervous about the whole thing. He had always been a family friend in Joshua's eyes, but now everything would be different. He didn't care so much about what Derek thought, but that little boy meant more to him than he had realized. He couldn't stand the thought of Joshua shying away from him after being manipulated by Derek.

Suddenly his phone began to vibrate and he hoped that it was Kiara. It was, but instead of being happy about the call, he grew anxious. He answered, wondering if things had gone well.

"Hey beautiful!" he greeted her.

"Hey, sorry I didn't call you earlier."

"That's fine. So how did everything go? Are you alright?"

"Yeah I'm fine. Things are looking up actually. I was worried about what would happen, but I don't think Derek will be too much of a problem anymore."

"Really? And what about Joshua? What does he think about the two of us?"

"Joshua was more agreeable than Derek. He really does like you, and he doesn't mind us being together. I did have a little issue with Derek though. He threatened to disappear from Joshua's life for good, if I didn't break things off with you."

"What an asshole. It's a shame that Joshua had to hear that."

"Yes it was. Joshua was a little upset but I calmed him down."

"So he's back with your mom now?"

"No. I left him with his father."

"But aren't you worried that Derek will fill Joshua's head with some nonsense."

"Well, not really. But if that was to happen, I'd rather he get it out of the way now, so that I can set him straight. Besides, Derek has more to worry about, other than who I'm dating. I really don't think he'd go so far anyway. We had a talk and he seemed sorry about his outburst. I've known him a long time and he's never been the violent or loud type. I think he always saw me as someone he could fall back on, if anything was to go wrong for him."

"Ki...if Derek was to abandon both of you, you know I'd be there, don't you? It would be for the second time, and he can't just throw you both away like that."

"I know...and thank you but Joshua's...we're not your responsibility Brian. If it came to the worst outcome, I'd make it through."

"Of course you would, but I wouldn't let you do it alone."

"It feels good to hear you say that...but nothings gone wrong yet. I guess we'll see what happens from here on out."

"I can tell you what happens." Brian smiled.

"Oh yeah? Enlighten me." she said cheerfully. "What's going to happen?"

"Well, my powers tell me that you're going to be a very happy woman. Joshua will be alright and Derek will have to learn that he can't have you."

"He can't?" she laughed. "So who can?"

"How about I show you the answer to that question tomorrow?" he said.

"Why tomorrow?"

"Because, I'd like to spend some time with you. We haven't had much time to ourselves, so I thought I'd pick you up and show you a good time."

"Why can't you show me now?" she asked provocatively.

"Miss me already?"

"You don't expect me to want to be alone now, do you?"

"You're not alone baby girl. I'm with you and I'm not going anywhere. Like I said before, I want to help you."

"I don't want you to help me Brian. Can I...be frank with you?"

"I want nothing less. I always admired how straightforward you were. It's one of the reasons I was so attracted to you."

"I would've thought that was the most annoying thing about me."

"Not at all. I prize honesty, and a woman who speaks her mind is what I need. You know how and when to call people out."

She laughed, "I know you're probably referring to when I first spoke to you. I never get like that with anyone, except Derek. This was a special case. Anyway, he left me and all I want...all I've ever wanted is someone I can depend on. Someone who wouldn't use or leave me."

"You're in doubt because we had sex so soon. Am I right?"

"Yes. And please understand, I've never gotten intimate with anyone in such a short time. There's so much I have to worry about, especially Joshua. His needs go beyond my own."

"No Ki. They don't. You're a wonderful person and you deserve to be treated like the lady you are. I didn't think that we would do anything. I really only stopped by to apologize. I've wanted you for a long time. Ever since that party, I wanted to get closer. But like I said, my guilt got in the way."

"I wish you had said something. I felt something for you too, but I was supposed to be the rock; the unbreakable and uncompromising woman who never gave in to bullshit. But you know...that's not who I wanted to be, right? I let that role get carried away."

"I know, and I understand why you are this way. Being abandoned by Derek must've been hard on you. Did you go through the pregnancy alone?"

"No...my mom and Cat were there. Derek was too, but I didn't want to see his face. I was angry and bitter. It hurts, because I was so focused upon hating him that I didn't bond with Joshua when I first gave birth to him. I was weak and in so much pain. I'm ashamed of it, but I felt empty inside. I think that's why I work so hard to keep Joshua happy."

"I'm so sorry sweetheart. I wish he was my kid."

"I thought you weren't ready to be a dad."

"Well...I've been thinking about my past lately. Jessie made me consider being a father, and I lost that when he died. After seeing what Dale went through, I just shrugged it off. That kind of pain would have killed me. I think of you and Joshua...and I ...well, maybe it's too soon to talk about this."

"No Brian. Speak your mind. Honesty, right?"

"I wanted you and Joshua to be my family. That is, if Derek doesn't take up the responsibility. I wanted to tell you this the first night we had dinner together, but a guy falling fast isn't normal right? I mentioned some of what I was thinking, but didn't want to look crazy."

"You didn't. I wanted that too. For the first time, I felt hope. I believed that with you around, Joshua would benefit and be even happier than he is now. You came at the perfect time. Joshua's smart and he's beginning to see that he can't rely on his father. I don't know if Derek is willing to change, but I knew that with you around, he would be alright. But how could I ask you take up another man's responsibility?"

"You wouldn't have to ask, because I was already willing."

"What happened to you?" Kiara asked with amusement. "This isn't the man I cursed out a year ago."

"You happened, and I'm better for it. So as I said, I want to take you out tomorrow. I'll be working at the ranch in the morning. I've changed my shift so I could see you."

"Won't the schedule change be making things difficult for John?" she asked worriedly.

"No, he's covered. We hired a few more people and I'm going to be taking it easy from now on. In the morning, I train four new guys. They'll be more than enough help, so I get to spend more time with you."

"In that case, sounds good. Where are we going?"

"It's a surprise. I just have a few rules for you. And you have to follow them. No exceptions."

"Rules? On a date?"

"Yep. Number one, dress comfortably, nothing formal. Two, no nagging me about doing things for you, and three, promise that you'll forget your worries."

"No fair, you think I'm a nag?" she laughed.

"Not really, but I think you're so used to being an independent woman, that you probably feel shame for letting anyone do anything for you. That's why you got upset at the supermarket, right?"

"I don't want to give you the impression that I need to be taken care of."

"We really need to get past this." he said firmly. "I know that you're more than capable of taking care of business, but look at it from my point of view. If you keep this up, I'm going to feel like you don't need me; like I have no real purpose in your life. When it comes down to it, all you would need me for is sex. I want to be more than just a sexual partner. I'm not trying to take away your independence, or your pride for carrying yourself and Joshua through the fire. But you deserve to be loved."

"I can't believe I'm hearing this from a man...let alone from you. I'm speechless."

"So...will you let me take care of you? A simple yes or no will do sweetheart."

After a brief moment of silence, she finally answered him.

"Yes...I will."

"Hey!" Kiara said, as she climbed into Brian's van.

She had done as he asked, and dressed comfortably for their midday date. She was pretty sure that it would be a picnic in a park, or something related to the outdoors. His efforts to be mysterious hadn't worked, and she had him figured out.

"Hi gorgeous." he smiled.

"I'm not...you said dress comfortably and I wore this. This is nothing fancy." she said, with a bashful smile, while looking down at her plain blue cotton dress.

"I think you look great all the time sweetheart."

"I've looked better."

"I'm not going to argue with a woman. I know better...but I think you're beautiful." he smiled.

The words warmed her heart, and she was pretty sure that she would end up falling in love with him fast. Brian had such an innocent charm about him, that she couldn't resist. Any resistance she gave was not intended to deter him, but really to bait him.

"Oh stop! We both know I'm not your type." she joked.

"Things change." he said with a grin.

"I do like surprises, but can I get a hint of where we're going?" she asked, as he pulled away from the house.

You're going to like it. Trust me."

"Hmm...you're not going to tell me that you and Derek made up, and that you're taking me to see him are you?"

Brian only laughed.

"Because I can't deal with anyone else trying to tell me that we belong together."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, my neighbors have been taking notice of you. They only see what's on the surface, and since Derek is so smooth, he has everyone believing that he's a saint. Some of the girls on the block came asking questions."

"Like what? Who's whitey?"

"Yes, something like that." she laughed. "They're wondering why I gave up on Derek, and got with you instead. Little do they know who Derek really is, beneath the charm and good looks. Plus, it seems that he and his girlfriend will be expecting a baby."

"Really? So why was he coming after you?" Brian frowned.

"He had no idea. She kept it from him because Ms. Big mouth aka. Natalie was being disrespectful to her. I urged him to set things straight with his sister and be more supportive of his girlfriend. "

"Did he take your advice?"

"He did, and I'm happy to say that he won't be bothering me anymore."

"Don't you mean us, sweetheart?"

She laughed and her heart skipped a beat as he flashed a bright smile at her. It was amazing how easy it was to like...love him. They had driven off and away from her area, and were now headed towards the farm where there was nothing but trees and vast, open fields. She wanted him badly. She had a mind to ask him to pull over, and take her behind the cover of trees. The thought of such a spontaneous act made her wet, but she fought the fantasy with all her might. Maybe deep down she still feared losing the reluctant persona that had protected her for so long.

"Yes honey, us." she finally responded. "I spoke to him this morning, when I called to check up on Joshua. She's willing to give him another chance."

"So...since they're having a kid, what does that mean in terms of Joshua?"

"That's what I'm worried about. He's probably going to shower the baby with affection, while leaving Joshua out in the cold."

"Remember what I told you yesterday? You won't have anything to worry about."

She wanted to protest, but instead smiled and said, "Yeah, I remember. Thank you."

"Oh...not putting up a fight anymore huh?" he taunted. "That's a good sign."

"I'm trying here. Don't make me go back to the nagging!"

He smiled.

"I never had anyone to ask for help. My mom would give me a hand, but since she too was hurt by my dad, and was a single mother, she expected me to take after her example. I was supposed to deal on my own. Asking for help or expecting pity was out of the question."

Brian shook his head in response.

"Now I see why you're so tough. Mom conditioned you to be that way."

"Yeah...but it's okay. I could have done a lot worse, and still be begging Derek to come back. I'm glad things turned out the way they did. Otherwise, I wouldn't have met you."

"Thank you, sugar. I feel the same." he smiled.

She took a minute to observe their surroundings and didn't recognize the area they were moving through. She was beginning to wonder what Brian really had up his sleeve.

"I don't recognize this area." she said. "Where are we really going? I thought that it might be the farm but..."

"It's a special place. Part of the ranch." he responded.

"Are we going to ride horses or anything? I'm not too comfortable with that."

"No horse-riding involved, I promise."

"No horses? No Derek? Sounds like a dream."

"You don't like the horses?"

"It's not that. I've just never really been much of an animal person."

"They're really gentle creatures. Nothing to be scared of."

"I'm not scared. Well...maybe just a little."

If we're going to hang out more, you're going to have to let go of that fear. Wait till I tell Josh his mommy's a scaredy cat."

"Don't you dare" she warned playfully.

"Why? What are you going to do?" he taunted.

"Oh you don't want to see my bad side."

"I think I would actually." he chuckled.

"Oh please!" she laughed, and looked down at her purse. "You know, I actually got you something."

"You did?" he asked, momentarily taking his eyes away from the road.

"You've been doing more giving, and I thought that I should try to match you. It isn't much but I thought you'd like it. It's sort of a memento."

He looked away from the road for a split second, and watched as she took a tiny, black rectangular box out from her handbag.

"What is it?"

"Want to wait till we get to where we're going?"

"We're already here." he said and slowed the truck down.

She looked around and only saw acres of trees in the surrounding area. It was quite remote; filled with only the green of the trees, and the blue of the skies above.

"But this isn't the ranch." she said.

"It is actually. All of this land belongs to the family."

"Oh...I see. You're not some kind of serial killer or something are you?" she asked, as she continued to study the place.

"Come on. You're safe with me. Anyway, what you got there?" and his eyes fell to the flat black box, resting on her lap.

"Here. Open it up!"

He accepted the box from her and lifted its top. Inside was a framed picture. It was the same that he had taken with her at the housewarming party. He smiled as he looked down at it, and reached over to give her a kiss on the cheek.

"Thank you Ki. This is perfect." he said. "I only wish that Joshua had been included."

"You're welcome. And I'm sure we'll get plenty of chances to take some pictures with him. Just make sure you stick around."

"You're never going to have to worry about that, sugar. I'm going to treasure this for a long time. I always wanted a copy of that picture, but was too shy to ask anyone."

"You? Shy?" she asked, surprised by his admission. "I wouldn't believe it."

"Well, not anymore." he smiled and placed the box into the glove compartment, for safe keeping. "Ready for your surprise?"

"Sure. Just hope it's a good surprise."

"Don't worry. I'm sure once you get out and walk with me, you'll appreciate how nice it is out here."

She gave him an unsure look, then said "Okay...you're not going to drag me into the woods and do anything...are you?"

"The thought had crossed my mind." he snickered.

"Oh my God!" she giggled, and shook her head at him.

"I'm kidding." he said, as he opened the truck's door and got out. "Relax baby girl. I'll take care of you."

Kiara smiled as she watched him get out of the truck, and rush to open the door for her. She loved when he used those endearing words. He was being a gentleman even though this was probably going to be an unconventional date.

She felt more at ease now and joined him outside the van. The air was sweet and smelled of grass and fragrant wood. She couldn't make out what trees grew in the area, but they were thick and blocked all view of the inner forest.

"Come on Ki, this way." Brian said, as his warm hand gently took her by the arm. "Oh, and I have one more rule."

"Seriously?" she said in disbelief.

"Yup. Leave your sandals here."

"Huh?" she frowned.

"Trust me baby girl." he said, while he removing his own shoes.

"What are you doing?"

She frowned, as she watched him pull his boots and socks off, and fling them into the back of the truck.

"No questions sweetheart." he said, with his palm outstretched to her. "Come on, your turn. Give them up!'

She gave him a skeptical look, then bent over and slipped the blue sandals off, one by one. She handed the pair over to him and he placed them gently next to his own. He took such great care to handle her possessions that she decided to humor him.

"What's this all about Brian?" she asked, with folded arms.

"How does it feel?" he asked, as he moved in closer and took her by the hand.

"How does what feel?"

He led her through a narrow clearing between the trees and she wasn't sure what to expect. She found the foliage and scenery beautiful, yet her full focus was on trying to determine what lay in store.

"The grass beneath your feet." Brian answered. "Don't you feel better walking on fresh grass? I used to run around in the open fields bare feet all the time. Dale and I came here a lot when we were kids. You like this sort of thing, right? Not having a care in the world, and just enjoying nature."

"I do, but it's been years since I did anything like this." she admitted.

"I figured. Now you know why I made those rules."