All Comments on 'St. Clair Ch. 03: The Siren'

by Todd172

Sort by:
  • 73 Comments
bruce22bruce22over 6 years ago
Nicely Done

A continuation of the adventures of an interesting Lesbian Cop.

SelqSelqover 6 years ago
5 stars...

...You were right, this was a very tough read, but I think it is a very important issue that needs to be brought out into the open even more.

Thank you for writing and I look forward to your next tale.

NighttymstoriesNighttymstoriesover 6 years ago
Your good

WOW!

Not all scars are visible.

Sidney43Sidney43over 6 years ago

Another disturbing gem, gave it a five. I suppose this is one of those questions that should not intrude into a good story, but?? Where does her money come from, how does she afford the fuel, maintenance. Disability funds direct deposited and no one is looking for her, or cares?? Maybe there could have been some mention of this just to flesh the story out a bit.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xover 6 years ago
I Almost Forgot

I knew this was coming after seeing it on SOL, caught it on a casual browse of Lesbian.

Just wonderful, if dark.

@Sidney43 - I believe she DOES work as a trucker, plus as you say, Disability. I think people CARE, but she's not doing anything that she can be held against her will for, so if she wants to go, they have to let her.

SelqSelqover 6 years ago
@Sidney43

She owns her truck, so you can safely assume that she is making runs to earn money. The cost of even a used rig is expensive enough that you have to be making damn good money.

Her family was mentioned and they care, but couldn't figure out how to handle her and had no grounds to stop her.

The fact that she has her CDL says that she was found to be mentally competent enough to be released into civilian life, and is functional enough to pass the course.

With the older rig, cooking the books would actually be pretty simple. Sounds like she's an independent hauler so she could pick and choose loads and routes as she wanted or when she needed money, and could just travel in between loads.

texquilltexquillover 6 years ago
Same old...

...wonderful work. Dark, realistic, troubling, edgy, moving - pick any three words to describe this effort. Thanks Todd!

johntcookseyjohntcookseyover 6 years ago
Gut wrenching

Fascinating new characters Luther and Miranda and of course Mae. What a unique cast. All the possible interactions. All the what ifs.

You gotta get this stuff out for sale! I feel like a thief every time I read your stuff for free. *****

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago

Awesome, literally. Immensely powerful. Even with the gratuitous slurs against my beloved Corps. Thank you.

Todd172Todd172over 6 years agoAuthor
Thanks for the Feedback!

It lets me know if I'm on target. I always find myself saying how great the encouragement is here, but it's the truth. This series is particularly tough to write, and frankly, I put it off a bit because of that. I am working on the end cap, CH 04. It probably won't be the final story, but it is the last one I have planned..

Sidney43: Marina is an independent long haul trucker: After taxes, insurance maintenance and such, they usually net around 45K-55K. Of course a metronome like Marina, who can keep up the maximum driving schedule indefinitely could make more, even without falsified logs..

swanic: The characters's views regarding the 82d, 101st and USMC are not mine. I've kicked in doors alongside 82d,101st, and USMC, and found them all to be outstanding professionals. As were the soldiers of the 10th, 25th, and 2RAR(UK).

Thanks again,

Todd172

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
What a let down

After seeing what you can do when you leave these crutches and actually write entertainment, you dip back into social commentary. Yeah, war is hell, we get it. Write that for some veteran's magazine. This is an erotic story site. This isn't erotica.

cloakndagger772cloakndagger772over 6 years ago
Ridiculous...

...that I hadn't read this series before now. Todd, you are one of the true master storytellers. You shift genres, you deal with entirely new characters... and you make them all so engrossing. Bravo.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Keep writing!

Military Dad here. Another great piece!

Dick

Crusader235Crusader235over 6 years ago
I find

Once again I find myself writing a comment thru misty eyes. Todd your stories get to me more than most any other writer on Lit. This is another five star effort. To Anonymous that says this is not erotica, that is true, but this website is Lit erotica, Literature being first. Semper Fi!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Home

Robert Frost said "Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to take you in." Sgt Pruitt might not have come back from the war but there's a home waiting for her at TJ and Tammi's if she ever does.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Yes

Well done

Like your style, love the clear feeling of just how bad it can be.

Someone else wrote about the worry dogs for vets with PTSD

Keep it going.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Home

Some of us never come home again. I still sleep with guns, knives, axes and swords close by. I still wake up and check out the house and yard. But, home. Never reach it. Just a safe spot to put my head down. And its been twenty years.

tangledweedtangledweedabout 6 years ago
Someone is cutting onions again!

Damn, had to find the tissue box for this one. Some great new characters have their very real pain displayed with honor, respect and a touch of humor that gives the story a needed balance.

Skol, Tod172.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Gift

You are a gifted writer. If you aren't writing novels under another name, you should be. Perhaps publish a book of short stories....

drkhonestydrkhonestyalmost 6 years ago
Love

I loved it. You have a gift.

waifwaifover 5 years ago
Amazing

and Chilling insight into the damage we inflict on each other in the name of ideology. War is truly a wrecking ball that shatters whatever it touches.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
PTSD and other fun filled rides.

Mine is not as bad as many of my brothers and sisters face. Don't need to self medicate with drugs or booze at least. Okay, some booze. The wife stays with me, a lot to be said for stubborn women. Built myself a chopper a few years back. When the ghosts come calling I ride until the Harley roar drowns them out. Suicide only makes sure things can't get better. Hold on brothers and sisters, ask for help if needed. Dutch from Springfield MO

brownmobbrownmobover 5 years ago
Thank you

Thank you for telling this story,

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
Bravo Zulu

Thank you for allowing others to experience some understanding of the devastation of war and PTSD beyond the crap Hollywood spews for profit and politics.

Capt MC USNR Ret

germanchocolate4ugermanchocolate4ualmost 5 years ago

It's ironic how something or someone can be polar opposites of itself or oneself - devastatingly beautiful or hopeful hopelessness. PTSD is a very serious mental condition.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
The darkness

It has been 14 years since I experienced seeing the elephant... and the darkness is still with me.

Each and every day I fight the urge to join the Club of 22.

I just don’t care anymore.

My living will of which I carry all the time releases anyone from providing emergency medical care.

I even have do not resuscitate tattooed on my chest.

The darkness has become my friend.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
This stuff Creeps me out.

But its so well written, I can't stop reading it.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Worse in Australia deserves 10 stars

I'm an old man who Always controls his emotions . But I had tears running down my face . Here in Australia we have returned soldiers going back to the Vietnam days . Ignored by our greedy parasitic Polititions. Left to their despair . We have a saying that is repeateted on every ANZAC day . Lest We Forget . Thank you .

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Excellent story but needs devopment

This should be a novel. It has great potential

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
thanks

thanks from a vet who is the son of a vet

lukeshortlukeshortover 3 years ago
Great series

This story (the series) is not about lesbianism. It is about 2 complex women who just happen to be in a lesbian relationship. I became so engrossed in the story that I began to be surprised when TJ is referred to as "she". Don't know if this is because of my mental shortfall or the talent of the author. I am blaming the author for being so good. 5*

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
The tragidy,love and "brotherhood" of veterans.

I was taking care of a fellow veteran in my ICU. He was critically ill and having PTSD flash backs. Part of him was in Vietnam and part of him knew he was home and "PTSDing". By grace I caught it and was able to bring him "home again" just as I was taught to do in the military. I was able to warn the other caregivers what was happening so that WE were able to keep him in the present for the most part. He was one of the few who came back to thank me. I hope at some point you can bring "her" home again as well.

Sincerely

The Infamous Anonymous

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Todd gives very good advice in this one right at the end.

I loved it as much as I love every story Todd writes. He's just that good of an author that I've loved them all.

For those who want to throw their money at Todd here is a comment that he put in a place where very few would read it.

We have novelized the first three Needles and Delaney stories into an ebook on Amazon, titled, originally enough as "Needles and Delaney." We did that partly because so many have asked us to, partly because it was just something new to do, and partly as to protect the work - there are people who skim sites for stories then publish them as ebooks under false names. Some of the real heavy hitters here have had that happen to them.

Doc Spirit 3

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

My cousin, a Captain in the Army, blew his brains out after his third tour. His wife asked for a divorce. She already had a man on the line.

I loved it as much as I love every story Todd writes. He's just that good of an author that I've loved them all.

For those who want to throw their money at Todd here is a comment that he put in a place where very few would read it.

We have novelized the first three Needles and Delaney stories into an ebook on Amazon, titled, originally enough as "Needles and Delaney." We did that partly because so many have asked us to, partly because it was just something new to do, and partly as to protect the work - there are people who skim sites for stories then publish them as ebooks under false names. Some of the real heavy hitters here have had that happen to them.

Doc Spirit 3

bhojobhojoalmost 3 years ago

This story moved me. Respect to those who gave so much

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

I see it and understand it. but have not lived it. my heart goes out to those that live this. thank you. for your service,

jimjam69jimjam69over 2 years ago

Another wonderful story. It is so amazing how you can create characters that seem so real and alive.

SDN1955SDN1955over 2 years ago

What an intense story, made all the more so by knowing that people are trying to live with their experiences. Well done Todd.

lukeshortlukeshortover 2 years ago

Even though this is ?th of multiple reads, it always moves me. Some of the ones who survived will never get to really come home. This story, even though there is some humor, is one of the saddest stories I have ever read. If you were trying to convey the price some of the survivors are paying, you were very successful. Great job. Thank you. Of course, 5*.

GaiusPetroniusGaiusPetroniusover 2 years ago

May God bless you for writing this and posting it. There is hope for every broken person, every one of us.

usaretusaretover 2 years ago

Thanks. Really, thanks.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Best yet. Love how unfinished meets all options open

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

I have met a few of the lost survivors / and am always in awe that there isn't help for them / I know some don't realize they need it - - one remarkable young man I met re upped because there was no peace for him in civilian life - - you all gave so much ! Thank you

damnmad660damnmad660about 2 years ago
Great story

I commented on another of your stories how it was a hard read but a great story. This one is even harder to read but it just makes to meaning even greater.

oldmanbill69oldmanbill69about 2 years ago

Please people, seek help ...like he says....it can help.

Ravey19Ravey19about 2 years ago

Moving, such a moving story of ex service people's lives when they've suffered for their country.

WhoGivesAShitWhoGivesAShitabout 2 years ago

That was powerful. Very nicely and tastefully done.

Making that first call is only the start. Most people, veteran or civilian, need ongoing help when damaged as badly as Marina. Meds only help take the edge off.

maxx308maxx308about 2 years ago

Amen to seeking help. IGY6

DoctimeDoctimealmost 2 years ago

I thought I had read everything by you both. Just discovered this. War is hell. We take youngsters from their home, teach them to kill without remorse; then turn them loose and basically say “Good Luck”.Well written and basically well organized. Do sort of wish all bad guys ended up in deep shit. I am a retired surgeon with a gay grandson in a inter racial relationship. So l detest bigotry and racial bias. Also love the Shack. Kudos.

AlberothAlberothalmost 2 years ago

I can sort of relate to Marina. I’ve been suffering from Complex PTSD since I was 3 (or 8 if you believe the shrink instead of my pshrink). I can’t stand being around lots of people and I hate having to hang out with people I don’t know. I’d prefer to be anonymous on the internet doing my thing. I have days when I’m happy to just lay on the bed away from everything. I suffer from severe social anxiety as well as depression and normal anxiety.

Sometimes, I can wake up from the nightmare and be a normal(ish) person. But most of the time, I just want to hide.

AmbisinisterAmbisinisteralmost 2 years ago

Veterans Help Line 1-800-273-8255.

Brothers and Sisters, there IS help.

I know you don't want to ask, there is no shame here.

JimDiamondJimDiamondalmost 2 years ago

Thanks, that brought back memories of two other brothers.

Two of my friends (Brothers) use to only call when they were having trouble "living". Pete and Johnny just went off now and then into deep depression with memories that would not go away. One with thoughts of suicide over memories things done by and to him. One whose guilt over being alive actually would physically shut his bodily functions down to almost dying himself. I was their touchstone or anchor when the hole got too deep and would call to have me lead them home again. Pete finally found a woman, or she found him, and became someone new. Johnny got older and it just seemed to fall away over thirty years. After several years and getting a lot better, they each began doing "Groups". Both would attempt to get me to go to group things at the V.A.; assuring me that they would help. I finally told them both to stop bugging me, the only thing driving me crazy was the two of them trying to convince me that I was as crazy as them. They each slowly stopped needing me. Funny thing is that I have not heard from either in a few years and it makes me wonder... I sure hope the reason is that they simply did not need me anymore. Who knows, I might have needed them as much as they needed me. :-)

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Fuck.

What is writing like this doing on a porn site?

Pure class, brilliant characters and a view from the edge.

MarrttyMarrttyover 1 year ago

A large percentage of the vet suicides happen after getting the full treatment from family courts.

dgfergiedgfergieover 1 year ago

People like Todd172 write for their own enjoyment and share it with us the sometimes sane people. He does have one commercial book I know of on Amazon. The PTSD is a real thing.

I was in the Arny 64-66 for three years. I was fortunate and was in harms way. I got out just as they were building up in Vietnam. The Army or any branch affects you, even if your not being shot at. When I was discharged in Jan of 67 I had almost nightmares of being back in the Army for 6 months. Imagine the guys that saw and felt the horrors of war and losing friends. The sad thing is Vietnam was a political and we killed over 50 thousand service people. Look how many people were affected back home, mothers, fathers sisters brothers, wives and sweet hearts and children of the married ones. I wish there was some way to avoid wars but as long as we have people and regimes like Putin, Russia, China and the radical Muslims there isn't much hope. How long will it be before ISIS or groups like them get the bomb and attac Israel or US. How long before some stupid government agency come up with something worse than covid19? I think I'll go read nice romance story now.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Brilliant & profound. Highly gifted writer.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I want to say something profound and encouraging. but I got nothing good enough to say. I'm a Vietnam-era vet who never got shot at in anger; the assholes who exaggerate their service piss me off more than I can say. The only real answer is that, ' if you're talking about it, you probably didn't do it.' I don't mean the story tellers like Todd, I mean the barroom braggarts. Good on the guys that really did it. You can't receive enough from the rest of us. lpw

JustOneMansOpinionJustOneMansOpinionabout 1 year ago

Todd172, the stories you write are more like a story. A story submitted as short stories but in realty read more like chapters of a single book. Thank you for the contribution of the stories and the insightful commentary on the social shortfalls and needs of our society.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

I've been out of military for 4 years. I'll never get out. I'm not complaining or whining. Everything happens to everyone all at once. Some deal. Some don't. Some don't have a choice & they're wished well & given hopes for an easy transition & an ask they not forget who they are. Is it better to die in the reins or out in the pasture? I won't know.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

You truly have a talent. Please continue to share it.

oldpantythiefoldpantythief11 months ago

I was very fortunate or lucky, depends on how you look at it. I was a Seabee getting discharged when they asked me if I wanted to go to some place called Vietnam. It would require me to ship over for a few more years but I had a girl waiting for me at home and told them no thanks. The next day was when the destroyer was attacked in the Gulf of Tonkin. Sometimes I feel guilty for not going, but have learned to deal with it. My heart goes out to all those that did serve and sacrificed so much. This is truly a special story, thanks for writing and sharing.

AnonymousAnonymous9 months ago

To those still on the road home. I never served but family and friends from WWII to now are still in route.

myassisdraginmyassisdragin8 months ago

A late email friend of mine was a survivor of the U.S.S. Forestal fire. He only survived because he got a promotion a few days before. His best friend on board was moved into his old job and was killed, J.P. never forgave himself.

My wife has a form of PTSD from her job in a hospital so I know how hard it is on people.

My late father spent a good chunk of WW II in India. He didn't have PTSD as we know it today but he very rarely talked about his time overseas

MisterMordinMisterMordin8 months ago

20 veterans a day die by suicide...the cost of war...or the cost of neglect by their country!!!

dgfergiedgfergie6 months ago

Sad what our politicians do to and donot do to our veterans.

Any veteran that has been put into battle at risk to life and limb should receive and full pension for life no matter how long they have served. We owe then that......................

KahunabobKahunabob6 months ago

Powerful. Sad. Hope we run into Marina again someday. She needs more smiles.

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

This is heartbreaking. Still, it's beautiful the way you have your main characters, TJ and Tammi, Love her and give her peace for a day.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Todd172 you are a gifted writer. Don't lose your passion. Thank you for your service.

dgfergiedgfergie2 months ago

Darn sad what we do to our soldiers. Darn good story.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

My son came back from Afghanistan after leading an infantry platoon there. Seems all ok and his wife is an army office so she understands and knows what to look for. However, I read stories like this and know from other parents that these are real issues. My wife and I thank god every day we seem to have dodged the hand of fate.

dgfergiedgfergie10 days ago

What a moving story, almost brought tears to my eyes, I was in the Army from Feb '64 to Jan '67. Served in Germany and France, fortunate not to be sent to 'Nam. Never was in danger of being shot at. Funny though I even had nightmares for 6 months after I was discharged that I was back in, crazy huh? Can't imagine what our guys went thru in 'Nam. Iraq, and Afghanistan. All for what? 50 thousand lost in Nam, 2500 lost in Afghanistan and another 20 thousand injured and maimed never to be the same again. Maybe the next war our leaders start they should reinstate the draft and draft our politicians kids first. Just sayin'. We need to vote those career politicians out of office.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userTodd172@Todd172
4184 Followers
I write my stories to relieve the population pressure. Too many people banging around in there and the only way to get them out is to write them out. There's a bitter ex-Navy Master Chief living next to a quietly desperate tarnished Russian angel, who is trying to keep her sou...

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES