Starlight Gleaming Ch. 13

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Maybe," I breathed into her ear, "I just might have to get three or four couches." Pinching her nipples caused her to gasp. "I will have to bend you over each one so that I can see which one works best at taking you from behind." She arched, pushing her breasts into my hands, moaning long and low. "And if I can't decide which couch works best, why, I'll have to start all over. Because once you are better, I am so going to do you."

Cholan stiffened, then shuddered and shook in my arms, gasping for air.

"Damn, Kandikan!" Janetta exclaimed. "I don't know what you told her, but I think she just came. Will we see you tonight?"

"I expect so." I helped Cholan lay down and kissed her forehead. "I'd like to bring Calia and Anton, the bodyguard escorting her, if you don't mind?"

Janetta sighed. "All right. But we need to talk before she stays in my house, Ranji. Before!"

"Fair enough, Janetta. Fair enough."

Collecting my laptop and satchel, I exited, heading downstairs to reception and administration. Once I made it through the line, we went through the costs for getting Nariya's injuries healed. Full genetic work-up. Additional exams to add to her medical record. About eighteen hundred credits. For Sowitwee, that amounted to more than a year's wages. On the good side, it would eliminate the scarring from the torture, and the healing itself would be done within three days.

When I got back to the office, I deducted the excess time away from work from my personal leave, and then set about catching up with Sergeant Chita.

After we finished reviewing duty assignments, I asked, "Any word from Lieutenant Lovyanchiti yet?"

She shook her head.

"You're due in Capisco tomorrow, correct? Call Matiwatli, and let him know that unless he hears differently, he's in charge. Talk with him today and bring him up to speed on duty assignments. Mostly, he should be available in case someone or something is needed."

"Sir?"

"If I don't hear from the Lieutenant by tomorrow morning, Sergeant Yalcamara and I will be going to Capisco, too, looking for her. Based on things that happened last night, her assignment became a lot more hazardous. She might be fine, but I need to make sure."

"Yes, sir." Chita picked up that I saw the destruction of my home with Doyya's undocumented assignment as being related.

"I want to thank you for helping with the adoptions, Sergeant."

She smiled. "An honor to do it, sir. How are they doing?"

"Everything's still rough and chaotic. I'm told they did well sleeping at the hangar, treating it like a camping trip."

"I'm glad. Any word on who might have broken into your home, sir?"

I shook my head. I asked her for suggestions about housing alternatives for larger-sized families, and who she might know who had solid construction skills. If we ended up returning to the cottage, I wanted to rebuild the place with good insulation, plumbing, and wiring, and see if I could squeeze in another room into the construction.

Chita said she would make some calls and have some answers before the end of the day. I thanked her and went about, making personal visits to the other people in my unit. I was responsible for them and I needed to know who they were, and they needed to know who I was in return.

Toward the end of shift, I got to thinking about Doyya and how to find her if it came to it. She'd had her injection, so I knew she was chipped like other officers. But it got me to thinking about Sisi and how she'd been taken and we didn't know where she was. Then I thought about Janetta and her crew. Someone had had to have thought of a solution to this issue before me.

Doing a little research on the Imperial intranet revealed locator bracelets. A passive device, they would respond to a Super High Frequency or SHF band, something 20 Ghz or higher, which would activate the tiny capacitor inside the bracelet. That kind of radio energy was used primarily for high end radar with a directed focus or scope, so the girls would have to stand in front of a transmitter to activate it. Once active, the bracelet would broadcast regularly on an Ultra Low frequency, in the fifty herz range, detectable up to a hundred rads away for up to five days before the battery gave out.

This type of technology was used to track wildlife, where the collar would have a simple, durable solar collector and the beacon would broadcast at set intervals; the collars were set to fall off if vigorously tugged on (to prevent choking or entrapment) or to disengage and fall off after a year. I remembered the look in Zinja's eyes in the Commissary parking lot when she told me Sisi had been taken. And in the cottage yesterday, before everything went crazy, I had liked getting a kiss on the cheek from my new daughters.

True to her word, Sergeant Chita gave me a list of three people that might help me. Lieutenant Tonkchawanda was with Building Safety. Gerlotsl was a Second Sergeant at the Quartermaster's Office, and the third one, Kitam, was First Sergeant with the Ground Service, assigned to Mobile Construction Engineers, Company Three.

To her credit, Chita asked if she needed to stay late.

I shook my head. "I'm good. I'm going to look over a few of the reports coming in, but I'm nearly done for the day. Good luck tomorrow in Capisco, hey?"

"Yes, sir. I hope the Lieutenant's all right."

"Chita? Your stunner goes with you tomorrow, even if you are in civvies. I want all of my people safe. Understood?"

"Yes, sir. Good night, sir."

To emphasize my point, I wrote a memo to everyone in the unit, stating that they were expected to keep their stunner on their person at all times that they were away from their quarters, and to defend themselves. I sent a copy to Captain Xotochan, CO of the 917th.

To date, five units had issued Protection Orders, forbidding forced sex from lower ranks or civilian spouses. Besides the 917th Logistics and Supply and my own unit, the 945th Auditing and Security Oversight, there was the 233rd Interceptor Squadron (Janetta's unit) and the 1025th Communications Detachment, a company of couriers and postal workers -- all part of the Air Service. The fifth one, unsurprisingly, was the Second Regiment, First Brigade of the 67th Armored, under Field Commander Barankoshto of the Ground Service. All told, the orders affected about two thousand individuals, but that was not a lot when the population of the entire War base was considered. Even with the executions and transfers, there were still close to fifty thousand Air and Ground Service personnel, and probably another fifteen thousand in the adjacent High Guard Naval base. Commander Orchid had publicly supported the orders on the Armed Forces Radio broadcast, but the subsequent question of her being alive or dead had dampened further support for the new policy.

Still, it was a start. Captain Tanosca had done it to keep Janetta, his sole female interceptor pilot, from being harassed. Before that, the women had had no real protection.

I scanned through some of the reports on my desk, signed off on the work done by Chita and Matiwatli, closed up my laptop and headed out.

Using the ChoCac's AI, I gave a call to Sergeant Yalcamara, asking for an update.

"Quiet for the most part, sir. The laborers have finished their work and the dumpster was carted off an hour ago. Based on what you sent me, I've reported the serial numbers for the two missing weapons to Air, Ground, and Naval Security. More than once the Corporal broke down over something you had given her or something else that had been ruined. Your Personal Servant was very helpful to Corporal Ixma, sir. She talked to the Corporal, explained how it was upsetting your daughters. That calmed her right down."

"You still there at the cottage on West Seashell Lane?"

"Yes, sir."

"Are Ixma, Calia, and the girls still there as well?"

"No, sir. They departed this location about half an hour ago for the hangar. Said they were going to prepare dinner. We've been patrolling the neighborhood since then."

"Meet me at the Commissary then."

"Yes, sir."

At the Commissary, I ordered seven locator bracelets, each one inscribed with their name on the front, and my personal phone number on the back. One for Janetta, for her crew, my daughters, and for Calia. On impulse, I added a bracelet for Doyya. While I waited for the laser inscriptions to finish, I ordered up two meals to go.

When I went to pay for the items, I was startled at the change in the color of my charge card. Before, it had been silver, which meant I had between twenty-five and fifty thousand credits to my name -- a sizeable fortune. For most families in the Empire, that would be enough to never have to work again. I had been denting it hard the past two months, but thought it would still be silver yet for a while longer.

The card, though, was now inexplicably gold, which meant that I now had between fifty and quarter million credits to my name. I didn't know what to make of it, but I'd check it out later.

I also ordered enough food for fifty people to be delivered to the hangar. I wasn't sure how many were going to show up for the funeral the next morning, but I wanted extra. Whatever the guests didn't eat could either go into the fridge or be taken to Janetta and the others at the hospital.

I put the card away just as the sergeant and private arrived. The two meals arrived at the counter.

Both saluted me, and I returned it. After stuffing the gift boxes holding the bracelets into my satchel, I handed the food to them, surprising them both.

"Thank you ... sir?"

"I try and take care of my people. If I slip up and forget to do so, I expect you to let me know, Sergeant. You can eat on the way or wait until later. I want to get the vehicle I'm driving dropped off to the motor pool, then I'll need a lift back to Hangar Thirty-Six."

"Yes, sir," she nodded. Private Stimmi inhaled the aroma from the paper sack and just smiled.

On the way to the Air Service Motor Pool, I called and left a message for each of the men that Chita had referred to me. If I could, I'd prefer to work with the frame and upgrade, as it would be faster. I wanted whatever I had built to be up to code. And I wanted reliable construction materials and crews.

Chita had done a good job.

We quickly dropped off the vehicle at the motor pool, and I signed off on its return, with instructions to give it a thorough update and cleaning before returning it to service. We transferred the containers with the remains to the trunk of Yalcamara's vehicle. Private Stimmi drove, Yalcamara sat in the front, and I sat in the rear seat.

After several minutes, Yalcamara turned in the front seat to face me. "What's the plan for tomorrow, sir?"

"I'd like to do the funerals around dawn. That's a little after five thirty. We'll retire to the hangar for some food. You, however, will need to be prepared to go with me, Sergeant. I still haven't heard from Lieutenant Lovyanchiti, and I'm beginning to get worried about her. If I still haven't heard from her by start of shift tomorrow, you and I are going to Capisco, and I want us prepared for trouble."

"Very well. Do you have a battle vest, sir? All right. I'll pick up some gear from the armory in the morning. What about Sergeant Chita?"

"She's due in Capisco tomorrow. Not due back until the following day. Sergeant Matiwatli will sit in charge here until our return."

"Yes, sir. Stimmi and I will be ready."

"Just you and I, Sergeant. I want to keep any potential problems with the Seven Nations to a minimum."

"Respectfully, no, sir. Stimmi and I have worked as partners for almost two years now. You are my officer, but him I know. And I don't let my teams work alone. They always work with a partner. We will do our best to keep you alive and get the Lieutenant back, safe and sound."

"All right, Sergeant, I'll accept your advice. Are you and Stimmi off after this?"

"We have a couple of places we need to check out, people we promised to look in on first, but yes, sir."

Stimmi pulled up in front of the hangar. Both bay doors were open, letting in the evening breeze from the sea to ease off the heat of the day. Janetta's HueCac and my ChoCac were both inside the large bay. Anton was on the ground, making noises and letting Mina and Sisi ride his back like a horse. They laughed as they played, and it felt good seeing them happy.

We got out and unloaded the boxes just inside the door.

As they drove off, Ixma and Calia both approached.

Then I noticed that Sisi and Mina had red and black ribbons laced into their braids, similar to how Ixma wore hers. Both women wore their neckerchiefs; Ixma in her preferred bandana-style and Calia, to tie off the single braid that hung midway down her back.

Ixma gestured toward the boxes. "Is that the children?"

"Yes," I replied quietly. "And her family, too," nodding toward Sisi.

Both women looked at each other. Obviously Ixma had been filling Calia in on many things. Each took an arm and guided me inside the hangar.

"Have you eaten, my lord?" Calia asked.

"Waited until I got here. I like to eat with my family." Their pleased smiles warmed me.

As we got closer to the cooking area, familiar smells tantalized. Ixma guided me to a bench seat at the table, setting cutlery down next to me. Then she clapped her hands. "Come on, girls! Anton! Wash up! It's time for dinner!"

Blinking in recognition that I should help set an example, I headed over to the sink and got in line behind the girls and Anton. He and I helped the girls reach the sink to wash and handed them a towel to dry their face and hands. I let Anton go before me. Both little girls pulled him toward the table. Well experienced with children, they had latched on to "Uncle Anton," as they called him. I was pleased by this development, for their little lives had been chaos for the past two days, and anything to ease their hearts was a good thing.

Somewhere the women had obtained a second cookstove. Calia dished up food from different pots and set a full plate in front of me. I sniffed as I sat down.

"Curry?"

Ixma poured me a cup. It looked like black tea, to which she added some milk. I carefully sipped at the hot drink. "Hot tea, with cardamom? I'm impressed."

Both smiled, nodding.

"I brought the spices with me from home," Calia explained.

Calia dished up food while Ixma picked up Mina and sat her onto her lap. Juice and water for the girls. Calia served everyone, but then waited off to the side.

I shook my head. "Calia, you eat with us."

She started to speak, saw my face, and gave in. Quickly filling her own plate, she sat between Anton and Sisi. Nobody was eating yet, and both girls looked at me.

"What's wrong? Why aren't you eating?" I asked.

"You are my lord and the Heir of House Kandikan," Calia answered. "You begin the meal by eating first."

I shook my head again. "I appreciate the honor you are trying to show me. Thank you. But you are family. When you are with me and there is food in front of you, eat. Do not wait on me. Beside, this hangar belongs to Captain Tlacotli."

The plates of the girls had pan bread with melted cheese, no doubt made by Ixma, and steamed vegetables. "No meat for the girls?"

"They had some eggs and fruit earlier," Ixma replied. "It was past dinner time and they were hungry."

"Thank you. I'm glad you didn't make them wait hungry for me. I don't want them to associate me with hunger." I began to eat. Curried beef with potato. It was so good; I couldn't help myself. I made a noise. "That's really good food, ladies. Thank you, Calia. Thank you, Ixma."

The girls, eating their bread, watched me.

"And thank you, Anton, for all your help with the girls today."

"A pleasure, my lord. They remind me of my own girls, Melia and Pini, at that age."

After a bit, I explained we would be heading over to the Naval Hospital to visit our injured.

I looked at Calia. "I stopped by earlier today and told Janetta about you. She didn't take it well, but she was already angry about what happened to our home and her unit logo -- which I pointed out to her."

"My captain has a temper," Ixma added. "But once she's done yelling, she is good about being fair, and admits when she's wrong. She's a good officer, Calia. She takes good care of us."

Calia looked sad. "Isn't that the problem, though, Ixma? I'm not hers. I belong to my lord."

"You are my family, Calia," I assured her. "That will never change."

After the meal, I got into a fresh uniform, while Ixma and Calia policed the dirty dishes and put the remaining food away.

Anton offered to stay behind with the girls, but I told him no. "Zinja will want to see Sisi. Besides, I'd like for you to meet Captain Tlacotli as well."

Ixma and Calia prepared some leftovers to take along as well as several of the prepared meals that had arrived from the Commissary.

"Will Styen be returning?" Calia asked.

"I hope so, as I know Anton wants to return to his own family before long."

Anton's eyes met mine briefly, nodding. "It is nice to see Lord Kandikan, and to meet his growing family. But I do miss my wife and my home."

After locking up the hangar, we all climbed into my ChoCac, Calia and Anton in the front with me, Ixma and the girls in the rear seats.

As I drove, the moon was dark and the stars above us gleamed in full splendor. We passed through to the Naval base and parked in the hospital parking lot. We entered the doors into the lobby, on our way to the elevators. Off to the side, I heard loud voices, one I recognized. Glancing over, I saw Yalcamara!

Ixma and Calia paused, wondering why we'd stopped.

I took off my satchel and handed it to Anton. "Go on, Ixma. Take them up. I need to deal with this." Striding across the lobby, I quickly closed the distance.

There were almost a dozen Air Security around Yalcamara and Stimmi, and a half dozen on-duty marines hovering around nearby.

When I got closer, I could see that both of my people had been roughed up. Yalcamara was going to have a shiner and Stimmi had a split lip. Worse, they were being held, one Air Security to each arm. Another two Air Security, standing on the sidelines also had signs of having been roughed up.

I saw a marine lieutenant approaching from the far side of the lobby, but thus far, I was closer and the only officer present.

"Air Service! Stand to!" I barked, moving into their midst. I saw a hand rise to strike Yalcamara. I grabbed his wrist, and he swung on me. Blocking his attack, I punched him hard in the nose, followed by two quick strikes to the solar plexus, then a sweep of the leg. He landed on the hard tile floor, his nose spewing blood.

A quick scan to see if anyone else wanted to tangle, then I took a breath and glared around. "Any one else want to take a shot at trying to hit an officer?"

The marine lieutenant arrived. "Marines! Weapons to bear! Safeties off! Do you need assistance, Senior Lieutenant?"

I nodded to him. "Thank you, Lieutenant. Your timely presence is appreciated. At the moment, I want to find out why in the seven hells, my Air Security team is being beaten up and harassed inside a Naval Hospital, by other Air Security."

I turned to glower at the men holding Yalcamara and Stimmi. "Let them go, right now!

"Everyone but Yalcamara and Stimmi, form up, two lines, at attention. Now, not tomorrow! Dress right, dress! Eyes front! Air Service! Stand to!"

I paced twice, glaring at the Air Security. The marines behind me still had their pistols drawn.

"Third Sergeant Yalcamara, are you or Private Stimmi in need of medical assistance?"

"No, sir." She glanced at the tears in her uniform, then straightened back up.

"Very well. Third Sergeant Yalcamara, your report, please. From the time you left me this evening until now. And," I glared at the Air Security corporals and sergeants, "I'd better hear her report without any interruption from any of you. Is that understood?"

1...45678...11