All Comments on 'Starlight Gleaming Ch. 16'

by TJSkywind

Sort by:
  • 29 Comments
TJSkywindTJSkywindalmost 7 years agoAuthor
It never fails

I read through at home and think everything is fine. Then the story goes up for all the world to see, and OMG! Dropped words, even misspellings are out there, glaring back at me. I thought I had fixed the Pelita - Perlita errors. And I have no idea what a pubic public bathhouse is - though it's an unintentionally hilarious mistake.

I'd waited for weeks to hear back from my reader. Turns out he is laid up, with limited access. Didn't hear from him until yesterday. So all the many, many errors are mine. Hopefully, all the mistakes weren't too off-putting.

Have already started chapter 17, and I'm nearly done with with a new tale from Skyra as well. If you're still here this far, thank you for your persistence. Hopefully you enjoyed the tale. And it's been really nice having my brain work right. Insert your own joke here.

Slainté

TravelinTheRiverTravelinTheRiveralmost 7 years ago
great read

one question. where is the emperor or queen in all of this?

OzkiwiOzkiwialmost 7 years ago
welcome back

yep invariably typos spotted on immediate submission.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
Welcome back

I've been looking forward to more chapters from you! Even with the typos still an awesome story! Keep up the amazing work

hakdrakkenhakdrakkenalmost 7 years ago
Beautiful

As someone missing his little girl, fiercely, for over a year now, I have to say that ending was truly priceless.

TJSkywindTJSkywindalmost 7 years agoAuthor
A teaser

Janetta does get to meet the Empress in a future chapter...

Heh heh heh

Rushrocked1976Rushrocked1976almost 7 years ago
Amazing read

There are writers that post for years on this site. Please be one of them.

I do really enjoy your stories and I'm looking forward to reading more of them.

Thank you

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago

So when will be the next chapter coming. And don't wait for reader. the small misses we all generally overlook except some nerds and idiors. Irrkkk.

Please increase speed.

Ashanti

TJSkywindTJSkywindalmost 7 years agoAuthor
Status

Have some pages done for chapter 17, but nearly done with Bard's Tale: The Beginning, set in the world of Skyra (same series as 'Afternoon Break').

Starlight Gleaming has taken a lot longer to complete than expected -- and a lot of that has had to do with my health. In fairness, those reading the other series of stories, some incomplete, have had to wait for almost two years. Writing as fast as I can. Then I have to double-check things to make sure the sentences actually make sense. I had to discard a lot of the stuff written during this latest Rx test... I may just have to live with twitching uncontrollably for periods of time. The psychotropics impair my thinking too much.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago

Dear Friend,

I am with you from the very first of your story. I have criticised you many a times, some times too harsh. All this because we found you have started a very good story and can continue and end it to some good lit epic which we still read. TJSKYWIND can still be as good as 800lbgorilla. Dont try to shorten, it losses the flavour which happened 2 times in this series mainly in Ch 14 where I feel you cut a lot. please write steadily and periodically. Keep with the proper tone of the story in chapter 17 and 18 which is going to be too critical if you already is not complete with them and send them to publisher. Eagerly waiting for the next Chapter.

Bye.

Sinuhe

TJSkywindTJSkywindover 6 years agoAuthor
Status

Plugging along on Bard's Tale 2 -- about 1/3 of the way through that story now.

Once that's done and up, I will resume working on Starlight Gleaming Ch 17.

Slainté

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago

Hay.. it's getting too late. try to post in this calendar month or hand over the story to lousy jc

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Honestly

I wasn’t going to read any more after the first part of the story in chapter 1. Glad I didn’t. Imo one of the best stories on here. You would be better off putting the other stores on hold and finishing this one.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
"Totally Hooked"

Hi, am happy I discovered Literotica but more happy to find worthy writers in such a large site, which is comparable to finding a treasure hove. I do "seriously" hope you continue and subsequently finish "Starlight Gleaming", I find your tale very addictive; I must confess. I have read a number of tales which are unfinished with very, very VERY few of them completed.

Please, do continue and finish this tale, PLEASE.

Yours newly "addicted" and dedicated fan....D'Afican.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
TJSkywind

Any news when 17 will be available, I love this series

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
TJ

You said you'll continue with this series after bardstale 2 but I see bardstale 3 is out already and for more than two weeks and still no starlight gleaming17?

Please do not become like so many writers who cannot finish a story. I'm one of those readers, and I believe there's many of us, who won't read a new series from a writer if he/she cannot finish the first one. One disappointment from a writer is enough

TJSkywindTJSkywindover 6 years agoAuthor
Working on Chapter 17

Still dealing with major health issues from that bad Rx reaction almost two years ago, and I didn't tolerate any of the four recent meds the doctors insisted I try. I was on topiramate for two days, and by the end of the second day, I could only lay quietly and wipe away the drool. Took three weeks to bounce back from that one. The plus side is I recently went back to taking a lot of vitamin D (10-30k IUs) and a stress-B-complex, and my energy levels for work and ability to form coherent sentences have slowly improved; I started back on that regimen about the time of Bard's Tale 1. Even so, there are still days when I can read, but I'm not able to write at all. More rarely are the days when everything in a book or on a computer screen is gibberish; usually, though, I already have a migraine, so at that point, I just have to wait it out.

The explanation that Bard's Tale 3 came out so soon was that I split the story into to two discrete chapters, rather than one longer tale; and BT3 was nearly done when I submitted BT2. I think it worked out better that way.

I'm about 50 pages into chapter 17 as of today. I am tempted to write it in shorter chunks to get it out sooner for everyone. For those who really seem to like this series, it means the tales you get will be shorter. I still don't have a reader or an editor, so that means more errors will get through, but I'm going to continue writing and that means people will have suffer accordingly. I do have a day job and I am trying to be productive while taking care that I don't overdo things - which is sometimes a problem.

If anyone is interested in being an editor or reader, send me a note. I prefer Word Perfect, but also have Word and Office. Google Docs is too frustratingly primitive for my tastes. And I hope that gyrfurune's fortunes improve, and that he gets regular computer access again.

Some people have been writing to tell me I must produce faster or my reputation will suffer. I'm not sure how that works.

I write because the tales are demanding to be told, and sometimes I even wake up at night thinking about how the story needs to go; the muse is persistent, but at least it's not a leenan sidhe. (Hmm. That might explain the health problems.) I do get stuck sometimes; not a block, but a section of story will dissatisfy me, and I will go back and re-write it. Again and again, if necessary, until I am satisfied with it and it gets to where it needs to be. I also re-read more than once for clarity and for errors. I would love to be twice or three times as productive as I am now. Still, I am at a loss as how my reputation will suffer.

Through the kind courtesy of our excellent web hosts, I write free fiction on Literotica. I try to write stories that I myself would enjoy reading. This is sort of an update, and an explanation of my own limitations. If you are truly hankering for more fiction, check out my lists of favorite writers and favorite stories. When I'm here, and I find a story or series that I really like, I check to see what THAT author likes to read. I have found some real gems that way. Slainté

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
TJ

Glad to hear you're still writing this series and sincerely all the best with your health issues. Your health and life do come first, just let us know if you have to change things, we will understand

TK

TJSkywindTJSkywindover 6 years agoAuthor
Update

The vitamins, especially high doses of D3, have been making a huge improvement. Two years ago I was told I was too high in D levels, and told to stop, and told I "needed" to get on this drug and that drug. The American medical model has its place and saves lives, especially in emergency situations, but it also has a lot of limitations. If you don't do what they say, you "aren't compliant," and may be dropped as a patient. So I did.

Everyone is different. Otherwise we'd all be clones, and who'd need fiction, because we all would have the same ideas.

Some people take statins without issue. They nearly put me into the ground; still using a cane after two years, and still struggle to catch my breath for a few hours when I get up in the morning. I restarted taking D with my B-complex about three months ago, and I'm able to put aside the cane earlier in the day. And, the past two days, I actually did close to 8 hours of work without coming home and sleeping for 3-4 hours from exhaustion. Even with the migraines and neuro issues, I feel better.

The good news, too, is that writing is easier since I restarted the D3. And, as can be seen by Bard's Tale 2 and 3, my error rate is much lower. Woo-hoo!

Still no reader yet, so I'm contemplating paying someone to give the writing a look-see. He needs the work, and I can spare $20-30. And, he lives next door, so I can bug him about getting it done.

Chapter 17 is rolling along, and I'm about 2/3rds done, based on where I want the story to go. It's already over 100 pages (about 10 on Lit), and hope it will be done within a week or so (so yes, expecting it to finish out around 140-160 pages). And, some questions about the ruling family will hopefully be answered. And some resolutions, too.

For those still hanging on, I am plugging away. Really, I am. Heading back right now to write. Honest. Well, maybe after a little Starcraft I to unwind after work first. It's Friday night. But no sleep tonight afterward, because sometimes I wake up thinking about the story. Like I did this morning. Hmm. Does a Muse torment a writer for a-muse-ment? After this one is done, I'll write the next Bard's Tale, including a visit to Motorcycle Mama's Grilled Cheese and Coffee House, and then back for Ch 18. I'll take a double espresso and two sandwiches, thank you. You know you have no feet? No, it's okay. Just checking, waiter.

Heh heh heh. Slainté

kuhpa01kuhpa01over 6 years ago
So Many Petulant Anons

Another great read in the series, thank you.

Interesting happenings at High Guard with Ranji's unit, can't wait to read more on that. Well, truthfully, yes I can wait. There are only about a million other stories I can read to fill in the time while you weave your magic. I have no problem following a really worth-while work in progress. When you post Ch 17, I will go read 16 again to get my focus back on track and fully enjoy doing so!

Please ignore those who whine about the speed of your creativity.

I do, however, worry that the scope of your hero's epic is becoming too great. At the moment I can't remember if you listed the order of rank for the officers, but as a LT this guy is getting away with a lot of crap that realistically wouldn't be tolerated. Time off for personal reasons, mostly. In the very few interactions he has with his commander, that worthy comes across as 'unenlightened' and irritable whereas a real commander would tear this work shirking junior officer a new one and probably replace him, not only as XO but as commander of his little group.

Plus he is beginning to be a bit too much of a crusader for women's rights and equality. In a world where slavery and indentured servitude are part of the essentially Feudal culture? And human sacrifice is practiced at the temples to the gods?

The idea that modern conveniences exist -- internet, AIs controlling vehicles and houses, modern jet aircraft and land weapons -- in a Feudal culture patterned after those of the ancient Mayan/Aztec/Inca cultures is quite fascinating. Oh, and let's throw in the UFOs for good measure! What an interesting premise.

Unless you make this into some kind of alternate reality or parallel universe thing, we know it is going to end badly for the hero and his entire race (us humans). Bye bye Atlantis, hello Dark Ages. We just need to wait and see how it all ends in your world.

Again, great read, much appreciated.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
TJ

Very glad to see you're getting better and are writing again. Looking forward to 17 and the rest of the chapters

TJSkywindTJSkywindover 6 years agoAuthor
Nearly finished with 17

If I don't get sidelined with another migraine, I'm hoping to have it finished within a few days. I'll do a read through and then pass it to my new reader. Middle of Jan is my goal. Should be comparable to the previous chapters regarding length.

In a feudal society, wealth and political power play a big hand. As noted in previous chapters, the movement towards women's rights is gaining traction in other parts of the world. High Guard is a front line base, but also has access to news and entertainment from outside the Empire, as the Seven Nations broadcasts vids from the Empire and its two rivals. Yeah, Ranji has big brass ones, but remember his CO knows that Ranji got promoted by Commander Orchid, the Vengeful Hand of the Emperor. That's like Stalin's daughter. If Stalin says date her, you date her. And you sweat the whole evening. And hope the NKVD didn't take you away in a black sedan later.

And, to clarify, it's Janetta who meets the Empress. In a future chapter.

Thanks for the interest. Slainté

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Excited about Ch 17

Can't wait for the next chapter TJ. Hope you feel better now as your well being is always the #1 priority. :)

TJSkywindTJSkywindover 6 years agoAuthor
Like the song says

Some days are diamond, some days are stone.

I am continuing to write when I can. Another ER visit, and hmm... some tests are off. Wait a month and take it again. Yep. Let's try again in a month. Three times. We'll talk about it at the end of the month.

Sometimes it's not just the health issues. Sometimes I write something and I don't like how it turns out. I re-wrote the fight scene in the temple four times, and last night, I felt it was good enough to move on. I feel like I'm on the down stretch for Chapter 17.

Chapter 16 had a few scenes that took more than a few passes to get to where I was satisfied with it. Chapter 15 was even more of a problem - how to convey the grimness without descending into unrelenting misery. I had not planned on Deedee Marrin. She was a total surprise.

A lot of stuff going on. Another player enters the stage, too...

Slainté

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
TJ

Any update on when chapter 17 will be here?

Looking forward to it.

TK

TJSkywindTJSkywindover 6 years agoAuthor
update

In the final stretch of chapter 17. This was harder in some ways, as I wanted to hit the right tone, and two sections ended up getting multiple re-writes. I have about ten pages left to write, and I have a volunteer reader to help catch the errors. Yay! In any event, very close. I am aiming for next Friday 2/09...

Outside political forces make themselves known, lines begin to be drawn, and there are multiple bodies by the time the fighting is over with. Slainté

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Waiting..

Still... waiting on 2/9... or is it 2/9/2019

please complete...

Sinuhe

TJSkywindTJSkywindabout 6 years agoAuthor
Update

As I posted on my page, it's with the reader now. I had planned for it to be sooner, but people do have day jobs... and, it may be that there are more errors to fix than I'd first thought.

When I rely solely on myself to catch the errors, it does not end well. I can read the writings of others for mistakes just fine, but there's a bit of a blind spot when I read my own stuff without a good time lapse in between, because I tend to immerse myself in the story; I know what I want to say -- it's just that the words on the page don't sync up as perfectly as I'd like with what I want to say versus what I actually said.

I wish I could do writing full time, for even with health issues, I'd be able to be more prolific, and I'd work on getting more than one reader. Once chapter 17 is up, the number of pages will surpass 1100, and that's four good-sized novels. Bard's Tale 1-3 would make another good-sized novel. That's not too shabby.

All I can say is patience. Slainté

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Please finish

I started reading and couldn't put down the series. I hope you are feeling better and continue this story.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userTJSkywind@TJSkywind
================================== STAND-ALONE TALES Shattered Dreams - Erotic Horror /Celebrity/SF story about Ripley of Aliens; non-erotic ================================== A reader, gyfurune, correctly proposed a chronology of my stories a few years ago. I will endeavor to...

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES