Starlight Gleaming Ch. 17

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Tonca pulled away, screaming.

Not allowing him time to recover, I charged in. His hands moved quickly, but not fast enough, slowed by his injury. We broke briefly apart, and I closed in again. I hammered into his chest, delivering punishing strikes. Eyes wide and breathing hard, he drew his belt knife, sweeping out with the sharp steel. My left hand shot out and caught his wrist. Elbow up and in to his exposed throat. Both hands on his left wrist, I lifted up and twisted as I spun about, shoving the blade into his chest.

"You're gonna be rat food, Tonca! Rat food!"

He looked surprised, staring at his weapon buried in his chest. As he slid to the ground, I took in the carnage around me. Most of the other fighting was already over with. A couple of the guards were badly injured. At least two appeared to be dead. Based on the number of bodies around them, probably due to being overwhelmed.

Maybe forty eagle warriors were either dead or bleeding from serious wounds. Maybe more. Some of them lay there, moaning in pain. Others tried to crawl away.

A guard sergeant ordered the women to disarm the men. Four women troopers stood sentry, rifles at the ready, watching the doorways for any further attacks.

I looked to where Janetta was. She stood next to a guard lieutenant.

"That's Voyacherno," Janetta said.

Hustling over, I worried that he was dead or injured. I saw a man moving sluggishly, a red, embroidered vestment hanging from about his neck. As I watched, a guard zip-tied his hands.

Suddenly the temple trembled as the boom of heavy weapons firing outside could be heard, startling many inside.

The Household Guards must be fighting the Air Security heavy weapons teams. Seven hells!

More guards entered, followed by a team of medicos. The injured women were attended to first.

Janetta turned to look at me. We checked each other out, satisfied there were no major injuries. Several nicks on her, but nothing serious. Both of her knives, though, dripped with blood. She'd been busy.

As two guards hauled Voyacherno to his feet, he slurred out, "You will... pay for... this insult."

"Dakkan Voyacherno, by order of the Air Marshal of the Imperial Air Service, I hereby relieve you of your command and place you under arrest. You have consorted with Atlanteans and with draconians, allies of the Aesir-Veda. Both nations are enemies of the Empire. You are a traitor and you have a lot to explain."

There were three more booms in rapid succession.

The guard lieutenant asked, "Are we free to take him into custody, Commander?"

"You are welcome to him. My compliments to you and your platoon, Lieutenant. All of them are fine warriors. You saved our asses."

She grinned. "Yes, we did. Our pleasure, Commander." She signaled, and the two half-carried him out of the temple, with a third one following, keeping her stunner pointed at him.

Janetta had moved next to Doyya. Both were looking down at Tonca, who was still alive but bleeding out. With a damaged knee, broken collarbone, and a knife in his lung, he wasn't going anywhere.

Janetta looked at me. "Are you still going to cut out his heart?"

As the ranking officer, I could kill Tonca and claim the victory. But it felt right to share this. I looked at my Second. "Doyya, he hurt you personally. What do you want to do?"

She glanced at Janetta.

Janetta immediately gave her a stern look. "Don't look to me for direction! You are a warrior, Lieutenant! A Warrior! Your enemies are dead and you are still standing. Except that one of your enemies -- he isn't dead yet."

With a nod, she took a step back, aiming her rifle at him.

Tonca saw her, and put up his hands. "Nooo!"

She fired three rounds in quick succession, the sharp reports echoing in the arena.

Faces spun about in alarm, but seeing nothing else happening, they returned to what they were doing -- disarming the men and taking them into custody.

"Feel better?" Janetta asked her.

"Yes," Doyya answered, resting the rifle butt onto the temple floor.

"Safety on," I reminded her.

She looked numb, but did as I said. A tear spilled down her cheek and her lower lip trembled. She'd been in at least two fights I knew about. Shooting the draconian, and then the firefight protecting Melannee. There was more I had missed during my absence, but I believed this was likely the first person she'd ever deliberately executed. Looking at someone in the face as you kill them is intensely personal.

"Hey!" Janetta snapped, shoving Doyya's shoulder to get her attention. "You are a Warrior! He hurt you and people that you care about. You killed him. Own that."

"Yes, Captain."

"No, you don't," she muttered. "At least, not yet."

Janetta reached down and smeared her hand in his blood. Startled, Doyya jerked back, but Janetta roughly grabbed her, smearing the blood onto her cheeks and onto her shirt.

Doyya looked at her, stunned,

"Warrior!" Janetta reached down again and gathered more blood, smearing it on her own face and shirt.

"I need his blood, too. For Ixma." Then more quietly, Janetta continued. "It's no small thing to take a human life. When you fight, fight with honor, but be prepared to fight to win. Tonca was lower than an animal. He was filth! He hurt you and he put Sergeant Chita in the hospital. He hurt Calia, and brutalized Ixma for days! He was our enemy! Vermin to be destroyed! They are avenged. He has no more power over you. None! You are a Warrior and an officer, and your enemies are dead. Own that, Lieutenant. Own it! Are we clear?"

"Yes, Captain. We're clear."

In a gentler voice, Janetta told her, "When you're with a friend or family, cry it out if you need to. But never in front of strangers or your troops."

Doyya was startled at the advice, then nodded grimly.

I recalled what Ixma had told me, about Zinja holding Janetta during the nights after she'd been hurt especially bad. This, I reminded myself, is why the Protection Orders need to spread throughout the Empire, to all levels of society.

Sowitwee came hustling up. "Commander! You need to see the Captain. Air Security is still continuing to fight."

We hurried outside, with Janetta and Doyya quick on our heels.

Outside, the area was radically changed. There was a smoking Ocelot, and across the street were two burning ChoCacs. I couldn't tell who they were, the damage was too great. The side of one of the buildings next to one of the ChoCacs was burning, the flames licking higher and threatening to engulf it. Bullet holes almost everywhere.

Spying the command car, I ran forward. Rifle shots rang out and pinged near me. From the vehicles near us were answering bursts.

Captain Tsocotchi was speaking into the radio. "Yes, we'd like to contain the fire so that it doesn't spread, but until those bastards quit shooting at us, we are not going to take the time to put it out." After she released the microphone, she muttered, "Fucking moron."

"What's going on, Captain?"

She looked over at me in exasperation. "General Dagantochtlo, the base commander, is ordering me to cease fire."

"Has he issued a general cease fire order?"

"He has not," she complained bitterly. "The Air Security heavy weapons crew surprised us. Tank three is a complete loss. Three of the crew are dead, and one is critically wounded. We took out the vehicles and the second crew right away."

"There may not be much for it," I said. "If they are guilty of helping Voyacherno with his reign of terror, they may fight until they are dead."

Tsocotchi nodded grimly.

From a side street came the sounds of the Ground Service March began blaring out, the heavy bass drums thundering with the trumpet calls. Despite myself, I couldn't help grinning.

Over the radio came the words, "Third Company, Household Guard of the Empress of Chimorro, may the Ground Service provide assistance?"

She looked up at me and I nodded enthusiastically.

"That's affirmative, Ground Service. We welcome your assistance. One critically wounded, needing urgent medevac."

"Household Guard, the 67th Armored is loyal to the Emperor and the Empress of Chimorro. First Brigade will lead the way to Base Command and Control. Other Brigades are moving to secure the base. Barankoshto out."

To the west of us, four wheeled ChoCacs shot down the street, followed a few moments later by one of those huge, twin-turreted, heavy battle tanks, a Tlokan 90. Looking east, another armored column crossed over. Followed by lines of Ground Service troops in full battle gear trotting behind them. Some in powered armor, others with war dogs running along beside them.

Overhead, almost a score of attack helicopters roared past, loudspeakers ordering men to throw down their weapons and surrender. Snipers were quickly taken out with punishing fire from above. Supporting the Raptors were Kites, using their superior sensors to keep watch and direct the fighting on the ground.

I turned to Captain Tsocotchi. "You have your prisoner. Stay here and take care of your people, and the Ground Service will help take care of your wounded. Let us clean house from here. Janetta, get us to Command and Control."

Janetta got back into the driver's seat, and I slipped in beside her. Doyya hopped into the back seat with Sowitwee.

As the escort vehicles patrolled, the another big tank approached the temple before abruptly turning west, then paused. More vehicles filed onto the street, including three Tortoises loaded with troops and several Ground Security cruisers, lights flashing. Ground Service troops in full combat gear unloaded. Some headed for the Eagle Temple. Others began spreading out, flanking the tanks.

Several ambulances also made their way toward the Eagle Temple.

Janetta maneuvered us through the combat positions and moved in behind the heavy tank. A second Tlokan 90 moved in behind us. It was both comforting and intimidating being bracketed by those enormous engines of destruction. Zooming along parallel streets were the escort ChoCacs.

The lead tank began to move, and Janetta stayed behind it.

As we approached Air Security, two groups of men with anti-tank weapons fired on the lead tank. The armor held. The response was immediate. One 90mm gun fired, the turret turned thirty degrees and two seconds later, the second gun fired. Both groups were killed instantly. The Tlokan rumbled on.

Outside the main security building the lead tank came to a halt, and the tank behind us flanked the leader. Janetta parked between them. Two of the machine-gun ChoCacs took up station on the sides. A few minutes later, a full company of infantry filtered past, some fire teams taking defensive positions while others charged inside. They were backed up by more of the heavy tanks rumbling past.

The four of us got out. I nodded to them and put on my garrison cap. We strode toward Air Security, Sowitwee in the lead with the shotgun, Janetta beside me, with Doyya behind us, her rifle at the ready.

A Ground Security cruiser, lights flashing, pulled up nearby, wheels screeching to a halt. Both passengers got out, and spying us, hurried over.

"Commander! Commander!"

I turned, then broke into a huge smile. "Yalcamara! Stimmi!"

Weapons at the ready, they nodded to me, and I returned it. So, too, did Janetta and Doyya. Stimmi and Sowitwee grinned at each other.

"Request permission to accompany the Commander as his security escort, sir!"

"And most welcome. All right. I'm putting you both on notice. Now that I am back at High Guard, I intend to collect all of my people from Ground Security as soon as the paperwork will process."

"Yes, sir!" they both echoed, grinning like maniacs.

"Stimmi, take point!" Yalcamara barked, and then she settled in behind us.

As we entered, troopers already inside directed us into the main offices, where the Ground Service company commander had taken up position.

When I entered the office, the senior lieutenant was turned away, talking to a sergeant. "Don't ask questions. Just stun them. If the men in the records department make one move to destroy the records, shoot to kill. Clear?"

"Sir!" and he turned and moved past me.

We saw each other at the same time.

"Ranji Kandikan!"

"Jay Raltikon!"

"Holy... uh, I mean Commander. It's good to see you again."

I held out my hand, he took it, and grinning, I clapped him on the back.

"Janetta, this is Senior Lieutenant Jaynobro Raltikon. He goes by Jay. We met when we were both doing time in the Seventh Hell. Jay, this is Captain Janetta Tlacotli. My Second, Lieutenant Doyya Lovyanchiti. My Aide, Corporal Sowitwee. And when I can reclaim them, Sergeant Yalcamara, and... Stimmi, you got promoted to Field Corporal. Congratulations!"

Yalcamara nudged Stimmi, who blushed. "Thank you, sir."

Jay Raltikon bowed to Janetta. As she'd neglected to close her shirt, he openly looked at her tattooed breasts. "So you're the one. I'd heard there was a Jaguar Warrior who was also an Eagle Warrior. You are right, Commander. She is quite beautiful. A privilege to meet you at last, Captain Tlacotli."

Janetta actually blushed as she shook his hand. "Ranji talked about me?" Then she re-hooked her bra and buttoned her blood-smeared shirt back up. She still had Tonca's dried blood on both of her cheeks. A match to what she'd put on Doyya.

He nodded. "Yes, sir. The Commander says you are the finest combat pilot in the entire Imperial Air Service, and you have the best flight crew, bar none."

Janetta gave me a silly grin, then looked away.

"What's the plan, Jay?"

"That's up to you, Commander. I was told to secure the building, and to do whatever you told me to do."

"Excellent. Arrest all Air Security officers, pending interrogation under truth drugs. I want everyone who was involved in the child trafficking business, as well as all those involved with the assaults and rapes on the women on this base. And I want the murderers, too."

"Consider it done. What about the enlisted?"

"Round them up as well, but for detention, not arrest. As the new commander of Air Security at High Guard, I intend to clean house, from top to bottom. Do you have room to intern that many?"

"We thought about putting them in the NCO/Enlisted Club..."

Janetta snorted.

I rolled my eyes. "Oh, yes. That will make me really popular. It could take days to get through everyone. Some will understand, but a lot more will be put off for being denied access to their cheap liquor and a place to unwind. I'm coming in cold. I don't even know the quality of the stockade here."

"Not completely cold, sir," ventured Sergeant Yalcamara. "You have a good crew who are loyal and trustworthy, and are willing to come back to serve under your command."

"She's right," Jay added. "You can count me among them. Pen, too."

"Aren't you the CO of this outfit? You just got here. Why would you trade that out?"

"Temporary command. I'm actually the XO, and normally stuck at a desk. Pen is in maintenance, also on a desk."

"Okay," I said, giving him a nod. "Put in your request for transfer--"

He dug into his breast pocket and handed over two folded sheets. There were a few chuckles from around us.

Opening both, I scanned them over, then reached over to the desk and pulled out a pen, signing my name to the bottom of both. Handed both back to him, which he folded and put back into his pocket.

"There are three companies that need commanding officers. That's two slots filled. Doyya? What about you? Do you want command as my Second, or do you want the XO slot? We were operating at platoon level before. This is regimental, and there will be a whole lot more paperwork to deal with, and those positions are normally separated at company level and above."

"I'd like to remain your Second, sir."

"Done! I'm going to need suggestions from you three for my XO, then. Do you think Chita would take to becoming an officer?"

"You'd probably give her a heart attack, Commander," Doyya replied. "She'd be good for regimental NCO, though." Yalcamara and Stimmi tried to keep their amusement hidden, but weren't very successful.

"However," Doyya continued, "I do need a Second for my own command. I'd like Yalcamara, sir."

"What--?" Yalcamara and Stimmi looked like they'd been tossed a live grenade.

"Excellent choice!" I exclaimed. "Congratulations, Sublieutenant Yalcamara Tchanoonka. Welcome to the Warrior Caste. Since my previous Security Chief once told me she never let her people work alone, it's fitting that Stimmi be your company sergeant. So that you can keep an eye on him."

Grinning, Doyya herded them both to chairs. "That's perfect, Commander. I think everyone knows he likes working under her. And she obviously likes it that way as well."

Both of them blushed furiously.

"You're enjoying this, aren't you, Lieutenant," Yalcamara accused.

"You betcha."

I turned to Jay. "We still need a place to house the current Air Security prisoners. The repair field that we used for the refugees last summer seemed to work well. We'll need tents, dining facilities, latrines, and security."

"I wasn't here, but I'll see what I can find out." Jay reached up to the microphone clipped just below his grade pin. "Division Command and Control, this is Raltikon, over."

"This is C&C. Go."

"Commander Kandikan is requesting bivouac to hold personnel."

"Inform the Commander that a holding area is already being constructed. However, by order of Commander Barankoshto, all Air Security officers are being transported to the stockade at Ground Security."

I nodded to him.

"Confirmed, C&C. Raltikon out." He looked at me. "Do you want to say anything to the people here?"

"Commander?" Doyya interrupted.

"Yes?"

"We'll need to look at prisoners currently in the stockade here."

"After we return here tomorrow, getting your office together and taking care of that is your first order of business."

"Yes, sir."

"Anyway, Jay," I said, "I will address the enlisted Air Security tomorrow at oh-seven hundred." I dug out my wallet and handed Doyya and Yalcamara each a twenty credit note. "Doyya, you're going to need new grade pins. Pick up a set of set of captain's diamonds for yourself and senior sergeant stripes for Chita, Oh, and some sergeant stripes for Sowitwee, too." I handed Doyya another twenty. "Yalcamara, I expect you to have your grade pins on your shoulders tomorrow. I suppose you can give Stimmi your stripes."

Doyya and Sowitwee gave me their version of the shell-shocked look. Yalcamara snickered at Doyya. "Not so funny when it's your turn, is it, Captain."

"Jay, how soon will you be available to transfer to my command?" I asked him.

"Not until the end of the week, I'm afraid. The new CO is scheduled to arrive then. I can't leave until I am relieved."

"Understood. How about Pen?"

"He should be able to be here either tomorrow or the day after."

"That should be fine. All right. Armory secure here? Good. I'll let you get this taken care of. We need to get to the base C&C, and I need to inform the base commander of the change in command and issue my orders."

"Orders?" he asked.

"Oh, yeah. I'm ordering a new Protection Order, effective across the entire base. The Navy may resist, but I've got carte blanche right now with the Air Service and Ground Service, so I intend to use it." While he digested that, I asked him, "Any particular reason you are parked in my future office?"

He nodded. "Yes, sir. CID ordered me to lock down the offices of Voyacherno and Tonca. Sublieutenant Palaxl is in Tonca's office, keeping watch until they arrive to seize things."

"Outstanding."

"Commander?" Doyya said. "I don't want Tonca's office."

"Doyya, you can have any office you want. Except mine. Do you still have a vehicle?"

1...1213141516...18