Still Waters Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Meanwhile, Abettia called Kina. They did not have to leave. She was bringing the children to them. She wanted to visit with Bertha herself.

Reggie held his mate. Her anger at her mother needed to be dealt with. It ended here. He would not allow ghost of the past to remain in his family. Benia and Lani returned and Kina explained that she and Reggie were staying a while longer. Benia understood why because she too worried about their mother's state of mind.

Lani was relieved that Evangeline was not going to be alone with their mother. Her mate hugged her. He learned a lot from Lani about her past, and he knew she kept some things hidden from her family. Her father was gone now, and maybe she should tell the truth. Her mother thought she defied her and mated with Cam out of stubbornness, but the truth was, she conceived and if her mother knew it would have destroyed her. So, they mated and left, never telling their parents about the child that was born.

Once when she talked with her father, the baby made a noise and he asked who that was. Lani fibbed and said a child she was watching. Willie was silent. "You know, I'd love to meet my grandchild one day." He said so softly, but because of her fear of her mother's reaction it was never allowed that to happen.

Lani and Cam were going back to Kingsley soon, but she felt now she needed to tell momma the truth. She missed Cam Jr. He was so much like Daddy, and she regretted that he'd never meet him. "I wished daddy had seen him. He would have loved him to pieces."

Cam held his mate in his arms. "It's not too late. I'll ask Betty to bring CJ too. Your mom needs to see her grand pups."

Lani was nervous. Unlike her sisters, she felt her mother held a higher disdain for her.

"I will protect you. You have no need to fear, Lani." Cam whispered. Lani relaxed, Cam sent his request to the betas. Logan assured him that CJ was coming with them.

The next morning, the four girls got up and decided to clean their mother's home. Each one picked an area. Leaving her bedroom off limits. Declan knew of the plans and joined them. He was amazed. There was so much history here. His mate and his children were doubly blessed.

The women started cleaning and the men were given the duty of pack horses. The four males carried out so many boxes, that they decided they needed a break. Soon, they hid outside and decided to mess with Declan.

"So, when do you plan on claiming her?" Cam asked Declan.

Declan sighed, "I'd mark her right now if she agreed, but she's worried about her mom."

Reggie nodded, "She is worried, but Mr. Willie would not want her to stop her life. If we are honest, neither would Ms. Bertha."

Benita's mate chimed in. "Look, her mother is her mother. She will probably be pissed. She spew some mean words, but in the end she is family. She will accept you eventually. Reggie and Cam, you have a leg up on us. When she sees her grand pups, she will probably forgive you guys. Benia and I a still working on it. Poor Declan here hasn't even gotten out of the gate." The guys laughed.

"You two need to stop going at it every night. Give yourself a chance to build up some spunk. Wait a week or so, and I bet she'll be carrying soon." Cam teased.

Reggie laughed. Soon, Damian joined the group. He reported that Bertha rested, and she would be home a little after noon. Tasha wanted to make sure she ate, so they would have breakfast and lunch at the alpha home.

He faced Declan. "I'm glad you're still here. Evangeline deserves a true chance at happiness."

Declan started to reply when Reggie received an important message. Reggie, Cam, we are here. Logan sent.

"They are here. Let's go get the kids." Cam suggested. Sending to their mates, Declan joined them as they went to greet their kids.

More wolves arrived at the alpha home. Bertha stayed in her room. Then she heard the children. Something snapped inside. She needed to see them. She walked out, just as her son-in-laws greeted their young. The younger two were in Reggie's arms. The oldest boy hugged Cam. It was then she realized why Lani left. Willie never got to meet his grand pup because of her. She froze mid-stride. Once again she failed as a true mate. Bertha froze. She didn't deserve to meet them. She turned around and locked herself back in her room.

In the Spirit Realm, the old ones watched. They welcomed Willie days ago and his main concern was his mate Bertha. She was why he stayed so long as he did, but his frail heart gave out. Maybe if he'd called the dragons, they could have helped, but then Bertha would know and he never wanted to worry her.

Eva watched. She knew that Bertha would torment herself until the truth was realized. They needed Willie to go back. He needed to see his mate and grant her absolution from her guilt. She would not be able to move on and live until she let the guilt go.

The old Ones called Willie to them. They explained what was going on. He watched. From the Spirit Realm he saw all three of his grand pups and just like before he was so proud of his daughters. You need to talk to her now. Eva explained.

Willie thought. Often Bertha talked so much he could never get a word in. But when she was quiet, he knew she was listening. Watching her sit in the room at the alpha home, weeping quietly, he spoke. In a soft whisper, he explained, Bertha! My heart. He sent. I'm sorry I had to go. My chest hurt so badly even though I tried to ignore it. It grew worse and worse. I just could not take the pain anymore, so I went to sleep. You did nothing wrong. You never failed me. It was just my time. I'm sorry I had to leave you, but I just could not stay there. And just like that, he was gone.

Bertha looked heavenward and replied, Ok. And for the first time since this nightmare became reality, she was felt like he was ok now. Her mate was no longer hurting. Now he was at peace, and she was actually happy for him. The pain was there just not as strong as before. She knew he never wanted to leave her, but he had no choice. He was okay, and he didn't want to leave her. His dying was not her fault. Bertha stood and went down stairs to meet her grand pups. She failed miserably as a mom, but she'd be the best darn grandma these pups had ever seen.

******

The end of chapter 2.

This chapter was so hard for me to write, but I'm glad I wrote it. I pray no one else ever has to experience something this devastating.

Please share your thoughts.

12