Sting of the Scorpion Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Bettina was back onscreen: "Henry Wargrave is a partner in the company that owns our competitor KSTD. The University has not commented on this investigation of one of its Trustees at this time, and Henry R. Wargrave, one of the wealthiest men in the Nation, has also not commented publicly."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Yes, we're going to bust Henry Wargrave down." said Jack Muscone as he, Laura and I ate lunch in the back room of the Cop Bar. "We're hoping he'll see that it's hopeless for him, that he'll cooperate and give us Superior Bloodlines on a platter, like the head of John the Baptist."

Laura said "He has been indicted, or whatever it is they call it, by the Russian Federation. So has Sergei Molotov, who apparently got out of Putin's jails but is now in danger of returning to them. And the World Court is also looking to indict him and the other gun runners for human rights violations while trafficking arms."

"He'll never stand trial in those Courts." said Muscone, getting Laura's implied meaning that Wargrave had nothing to gain by cooperating. "If he works with us, he and his wife will get to live together in some remote location, with agents guarding him and protecting him as well. My boss will give him a lot if he cooperates."

"We'll see." said Laura. "It'll be decided in Washington, not here at this table." I smiled at that. Jack kept eating his double cheeseburger. I let him finish before saying anything.

"What do you think, Don?" Jack asked.

"I don't know." I said. "He might cooperate, but only after he's taken his last shot at Laura, here."

"Whaaa?" Jack said. Laura just looked at me funny.

"I think he is going to want vengeance." I said. "He might toy with the FBI for a while, say he'll come in, say he'll have to get his affairs in order first... but he'll be coming for my wife. And only after that will he even think of cooperating or anything else.

"And you have a plan for that?" Jack asked as he finished off his French fries.

"Does a cat got climbing gear?" I asked back. Oh yes, I had a plan...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Baby Jim was asleep in his crib. Carole was finally drifting off in her mother's arms. I had spent the last hour petting Bowser and rubbing his chest and belly, which he loved very much.

"All right, it's bedtime." Laura said. She carefully stood up, carrying Carole, and headed for the stairs. I went and got a 'Stix' doggie treat, which Bowser knew he'd get only when he went to his bed under Carole's crib. Needless to say, he beat me to the room.

After putting Carole down and giving Bowser his treat and watching him get settled in, Laura and I headed for our own bed. I washed my hands and brushed my teeth as Laura changed into her nightgown, then she cleaned up as I got undressed. I took the time on this evening to sweep the room for bugs, finding none. Then I turned on the radio. The soft jazz music was perfect for cuddling, but the radio had a little wire to the window that made the glass vibrate just a little bit, an old but effective anti-listening technology.

As we lay on the bed, I said "Well, Operation Gravestone was a complete success. Congratulations."

"Mmm, thank you, my darling." Laura said. "It didn't start out so well, but in the end it exceeded our expectations. I still don't understand that other group that showed up that night, and the helicopters were never explained."

"I don't even know the details," I said, "but it's not hard to guess that someone else was after Wargrave, trying to kill him. Not someone from one of those countries over there, but someone over here. Y'all crossed paths, and Wargrave ended up slipping out of the trap and eluding you both."

"Mmm, could be." Laura said. She was getting sleepy, so there would not be any sex in the next few moments. That was okay; she was snuggling into my arms. I liked holding my wife in my arms.

"So," she said, "what about that file those old ladies found?"

"That was Wargrave. Had to be." I said. "It was an attempt to distract me, and you also. He wanted me to concentrate on that, thinking I'd do so, while other things were going on. I'm not sure what other things, though... we had the Gravestone stuff, the 'Operation Eleanor' episode, the KSTD/Jack Burke tapes scandal... it could've been any of those things from which he was trying to distract us... or it's something else I haven't found out about yet."

I did not mention that only Wargrave really had the resources to pull off something like that, and my belief, which I could not prove, was that it was to distract Laura and myself from Michael Burke going after Ivy.

"You could be right." Laura said. "At any rate, the investigation of it is over, and it's been concluded that the damage is minimal, has been contained, and there is no further danger to the Scorpion."

"I'm glad to hear that." I said, snuggling Laura into my arms, her back pressed into my chest, her magnificent ass pressing against my groin and thighs.

Yes, the Scorpion, I thought to myself. Of course I know, and always knew, who the 'Scorpion' code name referred to... a legendary figure within the secret halls and unwritten records of the Central Intelligence Agency. The Scorpion was one of the very best agents in the history of the CIA. And a badass. The Scorpion was a real badass.

And I was very happy to be in the unique position of holding that badass Scorpion in my arms here, tonight. The Scorpion, of course, was the longtime CIA code name of my lovely wife... Dr. Laura Fredricson.

Part 22 - Epilogue

"BINGO!" yelled out Mrs. Parker in the Fellowship Hall of the Catholic Church. The other old ladies groaned.

"Well," said one old woman, getting up, "I must be off. It's getting late. Thank you for such a lovely evening, Father Francisco."

"Ah, my pleasure, madam." said Father Francisco, smiling benignly. "I hope we'll be seeing you next Wednesday night."

"I do, too." said the old woman. "Goodnight ladies. I'll see you at the Community Center. Goodnight Mrs. Boddiker." she said, touching her friend's shoulder on her way out. Among the chorus of salutations, Mrs. Boddiker said goodnight to her and promptly went back to her bingo cards.

Once out of the Fellowship Hall and beyond the eyes of anyone, the old woman scurried up the passageway towards the back of the building. If caught, she'd say she was looking for a restroom. She was not caught.

Exiting by a back door, she moved past the living quarters of the priests that were at the back of the Church grounds. The gate was open and she moved along the sidewalk, almost to the street. She stopped in the darkness and listened intently, watching along the street for any sign of anyone watching her.

Seeing none, she stepped out onto the sidewalk of the street and walked as swiftly as she was able in a westerly direction. She turned between two buildings, stopping and waiting to see if she was being watched or followed. She then went up that alleyway and between buildings, in what would've been called mews in the days of horses and carriages.

Coming out on another street, she repeated this pattern until she was just south of Courthouse Square. Entering a door that led to a small apartment upstairs above the shops, she let herself in with her key. Closing the door and locking it, she flicked on the light switch, which turned on one lamp on the chair-side table... and saw the woman sitting in the chair, waiting for her.

"Oh my heavens!" the old woman said. "You startled me. And why are you here, at this hour?"

"Why, I came to see you." said Captain Cindy Ross of the Town & County Police, getting up out of the chair. "The Widow Athena Jones, I presume?"

Finis... for now.

Get ready for the biggie of the Summer... it's next!