Stolen Magic Bk. 01 Taken Pt. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Slater arched a brow and grinned at her. "You seem to be suffering much less now, then you were before my love." Slater grimaced at the slip, but thankfully Gabriella hadn't noticed.

"Suffering less? What are you talking about you cocky bastard? I'm..." Gabriella gasped when Slater's amused look darkened abruptly and he closed the distance between them, yanking her to her feet.

Grip just short of bruising on her arm he leaned close to her face. "You are suffering less. Or, at very least, you've stopped shifting your ass like a bitch in heat. It was rather revolting."

Gabriella cringed when Slater released her, the expression on his face holding a rage she'd never seen. She didn't understand it. Right now she didn't want to. "Don't hit me."

Slater's eyes seemed to clear abruptly. He dropped his gaze and stared at his fist, clenched at his side. Opening and closing his hand several times he turned away from her. "I wouldn't hit you." he took several agitated steps away, then turned back, looking intrigued. "You're very good. How did you do that?"

Gabriella blinked. "Do what?"

Moving closer, hands out as though to assure her he meant no harm, Slater reached out and touched her cheek. "You haven't done it in awhile. I'd forgotten you could. I had no intention of hurting you, but I was angry, angry enough that I might have taken a swing, only to stop myself at the very last second. One look, three words, and I was horrified for even frightening you."

Not sure what he was talking about Gabriella latched on to the one thing she did understand. "Why were you angry?"

Slater's features were hard as he recalled it. He didn't look at her when he replied. "I take exception to the term bastard."

Confused Gabriella stared unblinking at the side of his face. "Why?"

Inhaling slowly Slater turned to face her. Gabriella waited for the answer. It never came. Instead Slater motioned back to camp. "Go change your clothes and gather your things. Meet me back hear when you hear the call of the loon."

Clumps of muddy earth rolled out from under Slater's boots as he climbed up to the path that lead back to the garrison. Only once he'd reached the top did he look back. Gabriella hasn't moved.

"What is it? Too steep for you?" Slater was attempting not to sound irritated. Gabriella could tell. Still it wasn't the least bit reassuring.

"I'm all wet. What if I catch pneumonia?" She crossed her arms and shivered to emphasize her point. Slater skidded back down the muddy bank. "And why in the world do you want me to get my stuff and come back here?"

Before she could continue with her questions Slater lifted her up to him and slammed his mouth against hers. Gabriella's eyes went wide, then closed when she surrendered and melted in his embrace.

Assured that he had successfully gained silence, if only for the moment, Slater gently set her back. "I refuse to allow you to get ill so long as I live, my sanity cannot bear it. As for coming back with your things I only assumed you wouldn't want to leave with only the soaked clothing on your back."

Stunned Gabriella stared up at him. She was shivering in earnest, sure she had never been so cold in her life, but was too taken off guard to whine about it. "Leave?"

With a sharp nod Slater took a step back, not releasing her, only giving her some space so that she would well hear what he had to say. It also cleared his own head so that he was able to caste several furtive glances around, keeping well aware of his surroundings as he spoke, not wanting to chance being overheard. "There's not much time to explain. All I can tell you now is that you would be pampered and cared for in my brother's care, but only so long as you are useful. After that you would be passed down in exchange for someone fresh..."

"Wait a second!" Gabriella stepped away from him. "What do you mean, 'As long as I am useful?' And 'someone fresh?' This has something to do with that 'quarry' statement, doesn't it?"

Grinding his teeth at her shouting, wishing she'd at least hear him out before drawing the garrison's attention, Slater grabbed her shoulders and leaned down, speaking low. "Yes Gabriella. It does. We do not have time to discuss it further. I just want you to know..." He paused, almost as though he wanted an interruption that would make speaking the words unnecessary. Unfortunately it didn't come. With a sigh he mumbled the words to the forest floor. "I couldn't bear to see that happen to you."

The soft pads of Gabriella's fingers brushed against his cheek, making him look up. "See what happen to me Slater? And why couldn't you bear it? Why should you care?"

Slater cleared his throat. Seeing Gabriella becoming all starry eyed brought him to his senses. Now was not the time to be making such admissions to her. He didn't need her floating in the clouds, gushing about his...interest in her. He needed her feet on solid ground, preferably moving...quickly.

Giving her a quick peck on the nose, hoping she wouldn't take his next words too hard, he turned her and gave her a sound smack on the bottom. "Enough with the questions! Go you little imp, and hurry back. I'd like to beat the garrison to town so that you can see the doctor before we set off. And perhaps get some supplies..."

The peck on the nose had done nothing to ease Gabriella's irritation. The practical way he was speaking, however, had done just that. Gabriella had sworn she wouldn't leave without a plan. Now they had one. Of course her original intentions had been to leave without Slater, but she had to admit, there was nothing unpleasant about the thought of having him along to protect her, and guide her and...she almost sighed as she imagined him finally getting up the nerve to say it.

Only in her dreams had she imagined such romance. In this strange place, a place she'd hated at first, it seemed dreams truly were possible. Images of roses and chocolate hearts danced through her head.

The next smack on her butt was harder. "Gabriella I said hurry!"

With a dreamy smile Gabriella nodded. Skipping back to him so quickly he had no chance to object, she rose up on her toes and planted a light kiss on his lips. "I'll hurry." She danced away and gave a little twirl. "And don't worry about the doctor. I feel wonderful."

With a light giggle she sprinted out of sight.

Slater stood, unmoving, for several breaths, eyes on the part in the trees where she'd ducked out of sight. Smacking his hand to his forehead, hard, he groaned, then trudged through the woods in the other direction.

What in the name of the gods was he getting in to?

***

Like a pan flute born in purity, rich and haunting, the cry of the loon rose over the low din of the crowd. None but Gabriella appeared to have heard the call. The others were enjoying a few last moments before they mounted for the last leg of the journey.

To Gabriella the sound was the most heavenly thing she'd ever heard. She knew she was being melodramatic, but she couldn't care less. The bird's beautiful voice sounded like a singing spirit, and she fancied it being Slater's calling to hers. It was funny, she'd never been the romantic sort.

Much had changed since coming to this strange place. Most of all she could honestly say, for the first time, she was falling in love. And what a wonderful feeling it was.

Tiny bundle of clothes in hand Gabriella stepped lightly, covertly, around the tents, keeping an eye out for any guards who might stop her. They all seemed busy, which was good. It was a relief to see two that she recognized laughing loudly with a group of gaudily dressed women. Slater's personal guards. They were the most likely of all to be absent if any knew of their plans.

If they were still here then all was well. She and Slater could slip away. By the time anyone noticed them missing, they would be too far to follow.

Pulse beating quick and nervous, like a little bird's, Gabriella worked her way to the meeting place. A light breeze teased at her hair, causing several crimson strands to sweep across her face. The shadow of the forest grew darker as storm clouds rolled lazily overhead. Gabriella didn't see it as a cause for concern. Slater could get them through a storm. If anything the storm would be a blessing. It would make it harder for the others to follow.

The darkness made it a bit more difficult to make her way through the woods, and for a frightening moment Gabriella was sure she'd gotten lost. The sound of water running gently along the muddy bank reached her when she stopped to get her bearings. Exhaling heavily with relief Gabriella followed the sound until she reached the edge of the bank.

Taking in the undisturbed earth around the bank, as well as the subtle differences in the landscape, Gabriella reasoned that she must have walked further downstream then she'd intended. Following the water trail she made her way upstream, keeping her eye out for any sight of Slater.

The clouds parted in the sky, sending a bright ray of light down to glisten off the tiny ripples of the water. Gabriella marveled on how clear the water was. It reminded her of the streams she'd seen on camping trips with her parent. There was nothing so pure in the city.

Through the crystalline depths color began to flow. Streaking in wisps through the soft current, becoming more prominent as Gabriella continued, was a tint of crimson. Stomach seizing Gabriella quickened her pace. The color thickened into a dark red that left no mistaking to what it was. The scent of blood waifed in the gentle breeze.

The large form lying prone, half in the water, came into view. Gabriella started running. A sob ripped through her chest as she stumbled to her knees. Slater lay still, face down in the stream.

Not caring that the cold water soaked her skirts Gabriella lifted his face from the water. He wasn't moving. Wasn't breathing. With all the strength she could gather Gabriella rolled his large form over. Slater's body hit the bank hard. Bloody water spilled from his mouth. Still, he didn't move.

Fighting off the threat of panic that urged her to scream, to cry, Gabriella pushed on his stomach, ignoring the blood that gushed warm over her hands. Mouth closed over his Gabriella tried to force air into his lifeless body. The taste of his blood in her mouth told it was hopeless. Still she refused to give up.

She wasn't given a choice. Rough hands pulled her back, turning her. Five large men, men she'd seen around camp, surrounded her.

"Looks like we were right. The king's bastard brother trespassed. The stupid chit is smitten with him." One of the men remarked.

The man holding Gabriella nodded. "That she is. And there's no way a man like Slater would have left such a prime piece untouched. Which makes her useless to our liege." The man fair lifted Gabriella from her feet as he jerked her against him. "Do you know what that means little girl?"

Shivering with her urgency Gabriella tried to wrestle free. She didn't give a damn what these men wanted from her. All she could think of was Slater. Breath, she needed to make him breath. If she didn't, quickly, he would die.

Laughter drew her eyes back to the man holding her. "Forget about him girl. The traitor is dead." He leaned in close, leering. "If I were you, I would worry about my own fate."

***

12