Summer Rain

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"It wouldn't stay stuck." He explained.

Kate laughed.

"It's a good job you were still here then."

"Actually I could have gone about twenty minutes ago."

"Then why...?"

"Mrs Harrison, if Eddie had asked me to wait all day, I would have, a lot of us would. As it happens, I noticed the envelope under the bench after he'd left and picked it up. I knew you'd be the one looking for it."

"Why me?"

"I know you and Eddie, and, well, your name is on it." He smiled and left her with the envelope. She burst out laughing at her own seriousness. She looked down at the name 'Kitty'. He was trying to tell her something. Kitty opened it and read the next clue.

Home turf. The second coming.

She walked slowly back to her car, absently waving the note. There was only one place Eddie could call Home Turf and it had been the scene of her return to his life. The problem was, she might not be able to get in.

-----

Kitty had worried unnecessarily as it turned out. The council depot where the waste collection office was located was open. She parked outside what was now Eddie's office and remembered that day when she had managed to get the assignment she'd been angling for. The look on Ed's face, the grin that had split her face. She went over and knocked on the door.

"Come in Kitty." It was a voice she knew, Alex, Eddie's oldest friend. She poked her head around the door. "Or do you prefer Kate?" Alex smiled.

"As it happens, I'm mellowing back towards Kitty." She smiled back. "Come on Alex; tell me what he's up to."

"Sorry Kate, Eddie wasn't saying anything when he came in earlier. Just told me you'd be coming by and I was to give you this and I wasn't to tease you."

"So far you've failed abysmally."

"I know, I can't think why anyone would put up with me." He handed her a motor cycle helmet, her old helmet. In it was an envelope. Kitty opened it and looked at the card inside. It read:

The night of the wet dance

She smiled at the memory that came to her immediately, that Friday night after the meal, the return to her motel, the gentle rain, Eddie leading her in a waltz around the car park. She got up to leave. As she opened the door Kitty turned to Alex.

"If you ever tell Eddie this I will hunt you down and kill you, but if I'd met you first who knows what might have been?" She tailed off as she pulled the door behind her. Alex sat dumbstruck and the door reopened. "Alex?" He looked up. "Only teasing!"

Kitty laughed at him, pulling the door shut again as a pencil hit it.

------

The motel she had stayed in when she first returned was on the edge of town. It was still doing a reasonable trade, but at the moment it looked nearly empty. Kitty pulled up and gazed around. There was a receptionist on duty and Kate felt that was where Eddie would have left his next instruction. She went over.

"Good morning. This may turn out to be a stupid question, but has someone left you a message for a Kitty Harrison?"

The girl looked up. She was very pretty.

"Actually a very handsome man left an envelope for a Kate Harrison." She said.

Kate bristled.

"My husband, and he's not available."

The girl laughed nicely.

"That's almost exactly what he thought you'd say if I said he was handsome. He put me up to it, although..." She tailed off as she saw the look Kate was giving her. "My dad works for him, Mr Harrison was very helpful a couple of years ago when he was off with some industrial injury."

Kate mellowed.

"Yes, that sounds like my Eddie." She smiled at the girl. "Have you been here long?"

"About eight months. It's a bit boring at times, but it has its moments."

"Like handsome strangers leaving enigmatic notes for their wives?"

"It's a first, certainly. Oh, here's the letter." She passed Kitty another envelope. "If I could ask, what is going on?"

"I stupidly accused him of being unromantic. I think he's trying to remind me of what he's capable of."

"Sounds, well, romantic."

"Actually, it is nice, being reminded of past events and feelings too I suppose." She smiled again, partly to herself, partly at the receptionist. "How is your dad now?

"He's been back at work for almost a year, Mr Harrison found him some less strenuous jobs for a while, but he's back on the bins again now."

"I believe they like to call it 'waste collection' now."

"Only higher up, my dad says."

Kate laughed.

"You're right, even Eddie still calls it 'the bins' when he doesn't think about it." She waved the envelope at the girl. "Thanks for this; I'll tell Eddie you liked him."

"I ... Well... Err." The girl stammered.

Kitty took pity on her.

"Or not if you prefer." The receptionist breathed her thanks. Kate sat back in her car and read the note:

The first night of the rest of our lives

The Honeymoon hotel. An easy clue! And it was only over the other side of town. Neither of them had wanted to go far. She was still settling into her job on the paper, and Ed had been asked to take over as junior supervisor. As a consequence their honeymoon had only been a couple of days at the posh hotel just outside town. Kate started the car, beeped the horn and waved to the young girl as she pulled out of the car park.

-----

Fourteen years! Kate could hardly believe how quickly time had passed. It was over fourteen years since they had spent those two passionate nights they chose to call their honeymoon in this beautiful place. This time she wasn't certain whether to ask at the reception desk. She had a feeling Eddie wouldn't repeat himself. Getting into the same room would have been problematic, so what would he have done? Dining room? But they'd hardly... Then she knew. It would be the kitchen. Ed had made friends with the chef then and maintained that friendship even after the man had retired. But he still came in on Saturdays, to help with lunch and sometimes dinner. She glanced at her watch, it was not yet noon. Kitty suddenly remembered she was supposed to be collecting the girls soon, then realised that Eddie knew this and would have arranged something. She walked to the kitchen door and knocked.

-----

Kate's mother dropped off her granddaughters at home, waving back as they waved her off. Trudi looked up at her father.

"Daddy, where's Mom?"

"My dear Tru, your lovely mother is being reminded of just how damn romantic your father can be."

The little girl giggled at him.

"You said a naughty word."

"Did I? All right, what will it cost me to keep you two quiet about it?"

"Play Station!" They chorused in unison.

"Okay, just don't ask me to play as well. You both beat me at everything." Ed shook his head in mock despair. "It is very embarrassing to be beaten at football by two girls, even if they are as pretty as you two."

"Can you beat mommy at football too?"

"Do you know, I don't think I've ever played football with your mother?"

"Why?" Trudi asked.

"Don't start, just go and play."

"Why?" Julie chipped in, and then ran off laughing with her sister. Ed looked at his watch, Kitty should be at the hotel by now, he'd phone Dermot in half an hour or so.

-----

"My dearest Katherine! I'm so glad to see you." Dermot boomed as he saw Kitty come into the kitchen, let in by one of the other staff.

"At least you're not pretending it's a surprise." She smiled back at him.

"What would be the point? You are too smart for me to try and fool you."

"You old sweet talker. And you let Eddie talk you into helping him with this, well, treasure hunt."

"Edward is such a persuasive man when he wants to be, my dear. Besides I want to read about how this turns out. You will be putting it down in writing for someone won't you?"

"Actually, I hadn't thought of that yet. But you're so right, it could be an interesting article, it depends if he can sustain my interest to the end."

"I think he will, I think he will."

"Do you know where he's leading me then?"

"What? No, no. I just know Edward can be really clever when he wants to be. And quite the romantic too, or so I've heard you say."

"Yes he is, and I don't know why I accused him of a lack of romance. He can be very thoughtful and usually is almost all the time. One bit of romance runs into another until I don't notice it's there until something happens and it isn't." She stopped, and looked as if she was about to cry. Dermot sat her down and put a cup of tea and a sandwich, one of his specials, in front of her. He patted her shoulder and put his clue down in front of her, then went off fussing around the kitchen, doing his thing. Kate picked up the note, opened it and read:

Six year stint

Kate smiled as she chewed on her snack. Well, Tru was six, but that wasn't it. They had been married for six years when Julie had been born and she'd given up her job on the evening paper; that must be it. She got up, waving to Dermot, who appeared to be on the phone now, and went back to her car.

-----

The paper was an old established one, it had been going for donkey's years. Her old office was on the third floor. Reporting on the myriad local events had honed her writing skills to their current level. Having to write sensibly on everything from local politics to local football, latest film releases to all time favourite books, children's parties, WI meetings, fetes, sports days, she had covered them all, and become good at so many of them, and the editor had wanted her back after Julie had been born, but she had felt that the less stressful job she'd been offered at the weekly would be a better option. Although eight years had passed since she had worked there, Kate saw a lot of people she knew, saying hi to some, waving to others. As she entered the newsroom, or 'pit' as they had called it, Kate felt a wave of nostalgia roll over her, and one special memory shone out like a beacon. She knew it was the one Ed wanted her to remember as well. The day after she had told him that Julie was on the way, he had sent around a string of presents on the hour from the moment the shops opened to the moment they had all shut. A box of chocolates, a bunch of congratulatory balloons, cards, a singing telegram, he sent them all. But the last gift, the truly romantic one, he had brought himself. A red rose somehow intertwined with a white rose tied with a bow and with a card that said simply "Thank You." Her tears began to well up again and she had to sit down once more. Mike, a reporter who she used to work with, saw her and came over.

"Hello Kitty, we were wondering how long you'd be."

"Hello Mike. I'm still on the right track then."

"I suppose so. Ed was here this morning and..."

"And left a note for me?" Mike nodded and produced his envelope. Kate took it. "I bet this is going to be something about our tenth anniversary party."

"How do you know?" Mike asked.

"I think he wants to show me that although he can plan a romantic interlude, his unplanned ones are usually more memorable." She opened the note:

What a bad singer.

Kitty laughed as she read it. "I told you." She showed Mike the note. He looked quizzically at her. "Don't you remember the party, when Eddie sang, or tried to sing "Romeo and Juliet"?"

A light dawned in his eyes.

"And that leads you to where?"

"The local hall." She got up and started to leave. "Must dash, there's not many places around town he can send me now."

-----

The hall stood back off the road, surrounded by trees. The car park was a reasonable one and there was a grassed area around three sides. Kitty walked around the entire building looking for some clue. There must be one. After all, they had held so many parties here. Five or six birthday parties for the girls and an anniversary party for the past four years with another planned for later in the year. But the place was locked up. She was at a loss until she remembered the sequel to what Ed had alluded to in his clue. Later in the evening the two of them had been sat out among the trees and he had sung to her again. 'Wonderful Tonight' had been the song and although his voice had still been awful, it seemed to catch the emotion of the song, and it had been just for her. She had loved it and told him so. Kitty searched for the spot and then saw a note taped to the tree. She tore it open and this time it said:

The most precious of all.

At once Kate turned and ran back to the car.

-----

Eddie kept glancing at his watch. Julie looked up from where she was writing.

"Are you worried daddy?"

"I'm beginning to think maybe I was a bit obscure somewhere."

"What's obscure mean?" Trudi asked.

"It means difficult to understand." Julie told her sister. Eddie was a little surprised she knew, but they were both always surprising him. He and Kitty must have got something right. He stood up and went to get his phone.

"I hoped I wouldn't have to do this."

"Do what?" The question came from the kitchen. Eddie span around. Kate and he embraced and kissed.

After a while Julie piped up.

"Should we go to our rooms?"

Eddie blushed while Kate laughed.

"No, that won't be necessary. Come and tell mummy what you've been doing, then I'll tell you where your father has been sending me." Eddie left them talking and began to tidy the kitchen.

-----

Sunday morning and Eddie Harrison was woken by his wife of fourteen years gently shaking him.

"Eddie, the children won't be awake for hours yet." Kitty grinned at him.

------

Full Circle

Kitty Harrison looked around her kitchen. Today was the big barbecue and she was sure that it wouldn't run smoothly, it never did. Her two teenage daughters were picking listlessly at their breakfast; both seemed to have something on their minds. Her 9 year old son Chris didn't seem affected by the unusually quiet atmosphere and was shovelling down food like he hadn't eaten for a week. But it was Eddie, her husband, that caught her attention. He had never been much of a breakfast person, but he sat in on the family meal because he said it was one of the few times he got to see everyone together. And today he seemed to be greatly amused by something. He kept looking at the girls and chuckling. He was up to something she knew; nearly twenty five years of marriage had taught her to read him like a book. Time to test him then; she nodded to young Chris.

"Dad." He asked. "Why are ladies bottoms shaped different to men's?" Julie and Trudi exploded with laughter.

Eddie just looked like he had been expecting a similar question. He put down the paper he was reading and looked seriously at his son.

"A good question junior. I think it must be so you have somewhere to put your hands when you kiss them." Now Kitty burst out laughing as well.

Eddie smiled around the table. He knew Kitty and the princesses put Chris up to these questions and had decided to play them at their own game.

"Have you finished eating Chris?" He asked. His son nodded. "Come on then, time for your haircut." He looked around the table. "Anyone need anything while we're out?" There was a shaking of heads. "C'mon then son, grab your helmet."

"I wish you'd take the car Eddie." Kate said.

"The trike is perfectly safe love. I got rid of the bike for that reason didn't I? And the lad likes to sit behind his old man."

"Just be careful. I don't want to lose him. Or you."

Eddie kissed her on the forehead.

"We'll be fine."

-----

Julie fidgeted until her younger sister left the kitchen. She needed to talk to her mother.

"What's the matter Julie?" Her mom surprised her by asking before she could say anything.

"You know dad said I could invite my boyfriend to the barbie?" Kate nodded. "Well it might be a bit awkward when he arrives."

"Why?"

"It's Jack."

"Alex's nephew Jack, from the yard?"

"Yes."

"Why will that be awkward?"

"Well." Julie hesitated. "He's a lot older than me, mom. I don't know what dad will think."

Kitty laughed.

"I don't think your father will object to Jack on those grounds dear, after all, Jack's how old? Twenty five, six. He's only seven or eight years older than you. Your father is twelve years older than me; I think your bigger problem is Alex." Kitty smiled at her eldest daughter, and then remembered Eddies chuckling. "Besides which I have the feeling your father knew who you'd ask when he spoke to you."

"How can he? We've kept it very quiet."

"I just know. Let him have his joke. He's just getting his own back for Chris."

Julie smiled.

"That one was Tru's. How did you know we'd primed him?"

"You've always got one ready for Saturdays."

"It was a good answer though."

"Your dad is not as stupid as he pretends." Kitty looked out of the window. The sun was shining at the moment but showers were forecast. "Can you check the gazebo and everything are secure love, your dad and Chris put them up, but I think Chris was getting bored by the time they finished."

"Sure mom, then can I take Tru and get the rolls and buns?"

"All right. I suppose you have to meet Jack while she gets the bread?"

"Mother!" She smiled sheepishly. "How did you guess?"

Kitty just smiled and then went to find Tru.

-----

Trudi was sat on the end of her bed, staring at the wall. Her mother came in and sat beside her. Tru had decided to go into further education, a course her older sister had not taken. Julie had gone to work at the council yard as a temporary secretary, and was now an admin assistant. She had used her mothers name to start with, but now everyone knew she was Eddie's daughter. Trudi, however, had a longing for knowledge that mere reading couldn't satisfy. Kitty took her hand.

"It's only you who can decide Tru. Your dad and I will support you whatever you do."

"Thanks mom. I'm certain I want to go to uni and read history. What I don't know is what I want to do about Steve."

"Your on off relationship is off again then."

"At the moment." Trudi laughed.

"Perhaps you should speak to him?"

"You may be right. He confuses me mom. Says he loves me for what I am, but then says he doesn't want me to go to uni."

"From that I take it that the attraction of Steve does not outweigh the attraction of knowledge." Tru nodded. "Then forget him, find someone who wants what you want."

"That's the trick isn't it?"

"It can be done. Anyway can you go with your sister to fetch the bread? I believe she has something else planned too, just remind her that the barbie is tonight." Trudi grinned at her mother and then got up and went to find her older sister.

-----

Kitty sighed. Two teenage daughters were a problem. They fed off each other and it was all she could do to steer them away from danger, and now they were close to spreading their wings and leaving home. She was unsure whether this would be good or bad. It was good that they were independent enough to be able to strike out on their own. It would be good to have two less to worry about. It would be good to get back to being just her and Eddie again, (although that would have to wait until Chris left home.) But they were her babies, Eddie's princesses. (She had asked him why Julie and Trudi were princesses when she used to be his princess. He had told her she had been promoted.) All she and Ed wanted was that they were happy and safe, doing something they wanted to. She sighed again and went back to the kitchen. There was a lot of preparation she needed to do for tonight's barbecue.

-----

Eddie had left his son giving instructions as to how he wanted his hair styled. He wandered into the local bookshop and went to look at Kate's output. There were now four volumes of bin man stories. He couldn't believe he'd told her all of the stories; she must have got some from other sources. And she had other sources didn't she? Kate had been a journalist for eight years before she went freelance, and she had many, many contacts. That was proved by her humorous books about reporters, emergency services, local politics etcetera, etcetera. People lapped them up. He was proud of her. She had taken what were, to him, old stories passed down from generation to generation and turned them into a funny account of what it was like as a bin collector. The only thing she had never written about was what it was like being married to a bin collector. Maybe she was saving that for the future. He hoped that that one would be a comedy as well, or at least not a tragedy. He sighed to himself. The girls, his princesses, were growing so fast now. Soon, one or both of them would be leaving home for one reason or another and the house would become quiet, especially when Chris went, noisy little devil. Eddie wasn't sure he could cope with quiet after so many years with children in close attendance. But he'd still have Kitty. After all these years he still had Kitty and he couldn't believe his luck. In his minds eye he could still picture her with wet hair in a damp anorak, delivering newspapers. It was a memory he treasured. And the first time she kissed him. And the dance in the car park. A million memories. And he could have ruined it all when he tried to do 'the right thing'. It was a good job Kate was persistent. It was the one thing that he regretted. That evening in the car park when he told her they should split. They could have had five more years together. He 'hmmm'ed to himself. Perhaps the five years apart had matured their feelings, made them realise what they had lost, and so more determined to hold onto it when they found each other again. Or when Kate had found him again. He sighed and turned back to the 'Hair Stylist'. What happened to Barbers, he wondered. Then he recalled the guest list for the barbecue tonight and grinned. Tonight his teasing daughters would get the wind-up of their lives. After tonight they would think twice before pulling their poor old dad's leg.