Summer Rain

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

-----

"JULIE, these bags are HEAVY. Hurry up." Trudi told her elder sister, who was talking on her phone at the same time as trying to open her mothers car. Julie got the doors open and popped the boot as well, enabling her younger sibling to put down her burden. "I can't see why you need to phone Jack, you've only just left him at the bakers."

"It's important that Jack understands that dad is up to something tonight. I don't want him scared off."

"You worry too much Jules. Whatever else dad might do, he won't interfere with your life."

"Not intentionally, no, but..."

"Has he or mom ever tried to make us do anything we didn't want?"

"No, but..."

"Have they ever said we can't make a particular choice because they don't like it?"

"No. I know. I'm just worrying for nothing."

"So come up with a counter plan."

"What?"

"I don't know. Tell dad he's going to be a granddad! That should be funny." The sudden silence from Julie made Trudi look round. "You're not..."

Julie burst out laughing.

"No, but I think Jack wants to ask dad if we can get married. It might be fun to intimate that there's another reason, if Jack agrees. Thanks sis, you have an evil mind." The two girls got into the car. "How are things going with Steve?"

"They're not. It's all 'me' with him. He thinks I'll stay here with him rather than go to university."

"Tru, that's two years from now."

"What do you mean by that?"

"I mean that you've got two years to change his mind." She looked across at her younger sister. "That's if you think he's worth it. I mean you've only been going out with him since you both were five!"

"We were at least six before we went to the playground together." Trudi grinned at Julie, who laughed back. "Tonight is going to be such fun."

-----

Eddie and Chris were in the garden, ostensibly to put up some lights for later in the evening and to start the fire in the barbeque, but mainly for some last minute planning between the two of them.

"Dad, I know you've got something planned for Julie, But what about Trudi?"

"I was going to leave that to you Junior. Maybe ask one of her friend's one of your 'innocent' questions?"

"You mean you'd leave it up to me?"

"Sure, why not?"

"All right, I know who I'll ask, Emily."

"Emily?"

"Jane's younger sister, she's only a bit older than me."

"She's thirteen, son."

"She's shy though, and cute."

"Are you sure you want to embarrass her?"

"I think I know what I'm doing dad."

"Okay junior, I'll leave it to you."

-----

Kitty was surprised when she answered the ring of the doorbell. It was Steve, Trudi's long-time friend. The two had gone to school together for more than ten years but things had been awkward for the last two months, since Tru had announced her intention to go to university. The lad stood shyly at the door.

"Tru's out at the moment Steve, can I help?"

"You can Mrs H; it's you I need to talk to."

"Me?"

"Yes. I need to explain something."

"Come into the kitchen Steve, though I ought to say that I won't interfere with anything Tru decides."

"That's the problem Mrs H; everyone has misunderstood what I said. I told her I didn't want her to go to uni without me."

"That's what she told me."

"I never said I didn't want her to go to uni."

A light dawned for Kitty.

"And she, we, all assumed..?"

"Precisely. I don't care where she goes, I'll go with her. If it means I have to wash dishes at night, I don't care."

Kitty looked at the earnest young lad and smiled. She hugged him. He stepped back in surprise.

"I'm sorry Steve, but you've just made my day. Tru never really wanted to go away on her own, but if you want to go with her, either as a student or just to be with her, I'm sure Eddie and I have enough contacts to make sure you're not washing dishes."

Steve smiled.

"Thanks Mrs H, you've helped me a lot over the years, and I'd like to be able to repay you and Mr Harrison."

"If you can keep Tru happy, I'm sure that will be more than enough for Eddie. Make sure you tell Trudi as soon as possible, and come to the barbeque this evening, tell her I said you were to come."

Steve got up to leave.

"Mrs H, you're a real brick." On impulse he kissed her on the cheek, before turning and running off. Kitty stood stunned holding the cheek he'd kissed. Had she and Eddie had these problems, she mused? Probably not, Eddie seemed to create most of them himself. Sighing she returned to the kitchen, there were one or two things she wanted to prepare for tonight, including Dermot's special sauce, the recipe for which he had passed on to her before he'd died a couple of years ago.

-----

Eddie looked around the garden. He could see friends, neighbours, workmates, relatives and they were all having a good time. The evening had been a scorcher, although the sky was darkening now. Just for once, nothing had gone wrong. Chris had enjoyed himself by cooking some of the food, Trudi was enjoying some reconciliation with her long-time boyfriend and Julie, between looking around for some huge joke and waiting for some pronouncement from him, had been smooching Jack almost all evening. Kitty had looked harassed to start with, but Eddie had organised his children to take some of the load off their mother, and had made sure she didn't try to do everything. Now was his moment, he decided. He caught Chris's eye and the youngster came over to him.

"Sorry dad, I couldn't do it. She's too nice." Eddie raised his eyebrow. "I've asked her out instead." He raised his other eyebrow. "Could you drop us off at the cinema next week?"

"Junior, you need to be careful taking girls to the movies. I ended up marrying your mother after a trip to the flicks."

"Is that bad?" Chris asked, knowing that there was no answer.

"Oh, go away Chris; you're nearly as awkward as your sisters." The boy scampered off. Eddie went to find Kitty.

She was overseeing the cooking of the last few sausages. Trudi and Steve were giggling as they turned them. Kitty looked at him, he nodded. The two of them went to the edge of the decking and looked out over the throng of friends and family. Eddie cleared his throat and then using the voice that had guided a hundred reversing RCV's spoke.

"Everyone please, it's time I said a few words." The hubbub died down and he carried on. "I'd like to thank you all for coming and thank you even more for not drinking all my beer." Everyone laughed; Eddie's little speeches were always funny. "It's been a good year; we've all got a little older, except Kitty of course." She thumped his arm. "It's been a lot of fun, apart from the odd day here and there. So a toast to all of us." Everyone raised a drink in acknowledgement. "Now, you're all waiting for the big leg pull on my two lovely daughters, who've been tormenting me all year." There was a cheer, and Trudi and Julie looked embarrassed. "Well, I'm sorry to say, there isn't one." The girls' shoulders sagged in relief, everyone else groaned. "I can't compete with them. They're much too sneaky for me." A huge laugh. "So I'd just like to say enjoy yourselves for the rest of the evening, but leave me something to drink tomorrow so I can forget all this." There was another huge laugh, and some applause. Eddie paused, as if remembering something. "Oh yes, Jack, I believe you wanted to say something?"

"Yes sir." The lad stepped forward, looking more than a little worried. "Julie, can I ask you to marry me?" He asked in a clear voice, as if he'd been practising all week.

Julie looked stunned. Kitty whispered in Eddie's ear.

"You are the sneakiest man I know, but I still love you,"

Julie walked over to Jack and kissed him.

"Of course I'll marry you." She paused. "I'll get dad back later."

"What you forget, my dear Julie is that although I have an office on the second floor, no-one tells me I have to stay in it." Eddie smiled. "And of course Jack works for me."

At this point the clouds that had been darkening began to rain. It was a gentle, warm, summer rain. Most of the guests ducked for cover, but Eddie and Kitty began to dance. Julie and Jack followed suit, so did Trudi and Steve. Chris persuaded Emily to do the same, so did some of the others.

"Isn't it nice to have your own private weather?" Eddie whispered to his beloved wife.

"How do you arrange it?"

"Contrary to popular belief, I don't actually have any connection with any deity. I just watch the weather reports."

"I still love you just the same."

Eddie Harrison looked around at his family, all of them lost in their own happy thoughts.

"I'll always love you Kitty. Thank you for all of this. Without you I'd have nothing."

Katherine Harrison looked into the eyes of the man she'd loved for nearly thirty years. She saw the same sincerity and honesty that she'd seen that day in the car park, remembering his words. "I couldn't lie to you or stand you up." She kissed him.

"How soon can we persuade this lot to go home?"