Surefoot 06: Grey Matters

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I think you mean an Elektra Complex. And, no, I'm not. But one's past does influence one's present, for good or ill."

Sasha rubbed her eyes."What the hell am I gonna do?"

Eydiir sighed. "Take a quick, cold shower now. Then I will accompany you on the tour as chaperone, and prevent you from making a fool of yourself. At least, not a bigger one than usual."

"Thanks. We'll make it quick, he has a briefing with T'Varik at 1100, and I have one with Giles at the same time."

Her friend smiled. "Isn't yours more like a de-briefing?"

Sasha glared. "I'll have you know that when Giles and I are together, it's not always about sex."

Deck 4, Holodeck, 1115 Hours:

Sasha rolled off of Giles and lay back on the blankets, staring up at a night sky filled with stars in unfamiliar patterns, as desert insects made sizzling sounds and the warm air caressed her naked skin. Wanting to ignore the guilt gnawing at her, she asked, "Where are we?"

Beside her, Giles stared up, allowing the grin on his face to spread wide. "Cestus III."

"Never heard of it."

"It was a Federation outpost attacked by the Gorn on Stardate 3045. All the personnel were killed."

"Oh, you're a romantic, aren't you?"

He chuckled. "Hey, at least I deleted the Gorn and the outpost personnel so we wouldn't be interrupted! Have you seen how limited our holodeck library is? It's mostly bridge and tactical simulations. And the last time we engaged that beach party simulation, you ended up with sand in your-"

"Never mind." The guilt was building up inside her. The longer she had spent time with Rrori as they toured the ship, the more... distracted she got. Even with Eydiir acting as chaperone, and with the Caitian offering more reasons to be annoyed with him - his casual references to his family's influence and the people he knew, all his achievements at the Academy - she was still flustered by the time she dropped him off outside of T'Varik's office and raced down to meet up with Giles in the holodeck.

She had been halfway through having sex with Giles before realising that Rrori had... fluffed her. She'd hardly given Giles a chance to get his clothes off, or to question his choice of holodeck environment. Not that he complained much... "I love you."

He chuckled again. "All you girls are alike, always throwing around words of love after you get what you want-"

"No." She rolled back and half-lay on him, her breasts pressed against his chest, looking into his eyes, wanting him to know how sincere she was. She drew the honey-blonde hair away from her face. "I mean it."

Giles looked bemused at first, before smiling and replying, "I love you too." After they kissed, he asked, "Hey, what's the new guy like-"

"No replacement for you, I promise." Then she was back on top of him, relishing the feel of his body against hers...

*

Deck 2, Gymnasium, 1345 Hours:

Hrelle shifted on the padded bench and flexed his fingers, before gripping the barbell once more, glancing at the readouts on the side, ensuring the gravitic clamps didn't provide too much simulated weight. Satisfied, he returned to his set, grunting as he resumed, before picking up the pace, aware that the gym was busy this time of day and he didn't want to waste time. His muscles were aching.

As was his belly, after a pathetic number of sit-ups. He hated them, wishing Dr Ling would just give him a course of fat-eating nanobots. But of course, that went against Starfleet policy, which insisted that their people earned their good health the hard way. And besides, Dr Ling was a sadistic bi-

"Captain!"

He looked up to an upside-down image of Rrori staring down at him. "Cadet, good to see you again. What brings you here?"

"I've just finished my briefing with Commander T'Varik, I've had some lunch, and now I'm waiting to see the Counselor."

"And how was your tour of the Surefoot with Sasha?"

"Yes, Sir. Quite impressive - for her age."

"I assume you're talking about the ship and not my daughter."

The cub laughed politely. "Yes, Sir. I'm curious, though: why do you call Sasha your daughter and not your stepdaughter? Wouldn't that be more accurate?"

"More accurate, maybe, but I couldn't love her any more if she was my flesh and blood-" He stopped and looked up at him. "What do you mean, 'for her age'? What's wrong with my ship?"

Rrori smiled again. "Really, Sir? You still use duotronic circuits in some of your systems! And then there's the scarring on the hull-"

Hrelle grunted. "There's nothing wrong with having a little wear and tear. It demonstrates character."

Rrori smirked. "A bit like yourself, Sir?"

"Excuse me?"

Rrori nodded down at him. "Yourself, Sir. Your lack of tail and claws, the scars on your face-"

Hrelle's head was pounding, from more than his exertions. "There's a reason I look like this, Cadet."

"Of course, Sir, of course. I was just wondering what the Counselor thought of them. Your scents are mingled, so you're obviously bonded. I was just wondering if all those flaws of yours were... off-putting to her-"

Hrelle stopped and set the barbell back on its support, before helping himself up off the bench to his feet, relishing in his slight advantages of several centimetres of height over Rrori. "None of that is your damn business either, Cadet! Is that clear?"

Rrori stood his ground. "Of course, Sir. You look tired. Maybe you need a nap before you start your shift?"

Hrelle's hackles had raised, and his whole body tensed. "And maybe you need to spend your first day in the brig? Because that can be arranged, Mister!"

He stopped as he became aware of the others in the gym, looking in their direction. He stormed out, returning to his quarters to try and centre himself. What was wrong with him? Letting himself get angry like that?

*

Deck 2, Counselor's Office, 1400 Hours:

Kami sat in a chair facing the new arrival, smiling as she crossed her legs and folded her hands on her lips, letting her tail slip down through the hole in the back of her chair to swish along the floor. "As this will be your first deep-space mission, with a smaller number of cadets than at the Academy, we will have more frequent one-to-one sessions than you might be accustomed to."

Rrori sat facing her, his posture... different. As was his expression. "I look forward to it, Counselor. I wouldn't mind doing anything... one-to-one with you."

She felt the hairs rise on the back of her neck, wondering if she was misinterpreting the signals she was getting from him. Determined to press on and keep things cordial, she continued. "There will also be group sessions involving your Squad, getting the chance to air any grievances you might have about each other, and all within a non-judgemental environment-"

She stopped as she felt the tip of his tail stroke along her shin, and felt him purring, a deliberate reach to her on... intimate levels. "Rrori, that's not appropriate. Please stop it."

He stopped. "Counselor? What's wrong?"

"You're in Starfleet. You know how to behave."

"Of course, Counselor, no offence was intended. I was merely expressing my appreciation for an attractive female. And I thought someone like you might be interested-"

"If you were as discerning of my scent as you are appreciative, you might have picked up that I'm unavailable."

"Yes," he leered now, "A pity, really; I am a most accomplished lover. I've had praise from many partners. A woman of your age would enjoy my attentions immensely."

She tried to keep a straight face; he was old enough to have had sex, either back home or on Earth at the Academy, despite the restrictions. But such brash boasts were usually only heard from much younger cubs who hadn't yet learned from their female clan members how to properly behave. "Well, that sounds absolutely adorable, Cadet. But I'm quite satisfied with what I have."

He made an amused sound. "What, with the Captain? Because I have to say, meeting him in the flesh has been quite a disappointment."

Kami's claws drew out of her fingertips, though the cub didn't seem to notice it, or the change in the tone of her voice as she leaned forward. "Mr Rrori, you need to stop this behaviour, now."

He leaned forward too, his tail returning to her leg. "Tell me, Kami, can he even get it in you with that huge belly of his in the way-"

He never saw the hand as it rose and swiped him across the snout, sending him and his chair to the floor.

Kami rose and stood over him, her voice still calm, the claws at her fingertips still extended, but her tail displaying the agitation she otherwise kept from her voice as she spoke with bared teeth. "You made unwanted advances to a female. She told you No, but you persisted. You were rude and disrespectful. And you repeatedly touched her without her permission.

I'll contact Cait and make an official complaint to your clan's Matriarch. Then when she recalls you home, you can explain your disrespectful behaviour to her, your mother, your aunts and your sisters."

He looked up at her his hand over his muzzle where she had scratched him, his eyes widened with fear. "N-No! Kami, I-"

"Did I give you permission to use my first name?" she snapped.

"I-I mean Counselor! Please! I- I... apologise. It won't happen again."

"Good. And if there are any working grey cells in that pretty little head of yours, you won't insult me, and you especially won't insult Captain Hrelle, again." She bent down and helped him and the chair back up. "Now, shall we stick to Starfleet protocol and move on?"

He nodded shakily, his breath quickened, his tail still. "Y-Yes, Counselor. Thank you."

"Sit down." She went to her desk and retrieved an autosuture, returning and standing beside him, bringing the medical tool to life and drawing it along the scratches. "Now, where was I? Oh, yes. Our programmers have managed to improve the Caitian dishes in the replicators, to the point where they can produce a decent Ch'urash Stew, but you might want to add some Terran sauce called Tabasco, to give it a proper kick..."

*

Deck 1, Briefing Room, 1550 Hours:

Sasha and the other Squad Leaders were in attendance, as were the senior officers, everyone at ease while Hrelle sat and T'Varik stood at the other side of the room, flanking a display screen detailing a star system with numerous points just inside its outer circumference.

Hrelle spoke first. "You were all initially briefed that we were here in the Malbruk system to inspect the Sensor Buoy network set up in the system's Oort Belt. This is not entirely the case; in addition to this, we will also be running a mandatory Grey Alert test."

Some of the more experienced officers made grumbling sounds, though the cadets looked more bemused by such a response.

Hrelle looked to T'Varik. "If you would continue, Commander?"

The Vulcan nodded. "For the following 72 standard hours, the Surefoot will be running in Grey Alert. For those less familiar, this is an alert status allowing for maximum power conservation and minimum power output while still maintaining an operating status, such as might be required during a critical fuel shortage, or when the tactical situation requires a reduction in discretionary energy usage.

At this time, the warp core will be brought to a cold shutdown, and we will rely on impulse engines running at under ten percent power. Weapons will be off-line, and only passive sensors will be employed. Deflectors, Inertial Dampening and Structural Integrity systems will operate at minimum output, as will Life Support and Environmental Support, which will be shut down in non-essential areas.

Use of shuttlecraft, transporters, holodecks and turbolifts are suspended. Rations will be available in place of replicated food, and emergency blankets and cold-weather suits and portable heaters will be supplied to all quarters, as the internal temperature will drop significantly during the course of the mission."

She indicated the ring of dots circling the disc-shaped system on the screen. "The Malbruk system's Oort cloud contains debris, dust and ice particles left over from the formation of the system, and has caused navigational hazards and subspace communications interference, thus necessitating the deployment of these automated Sensor Buoys. The Surefoot will approach and scan the Buoys. But we in turn will also be scanned; in order to meet Grey Alert standards and pass muster, our energy signature must remain below a required level. Should we fail-"

"Then... we will all be put to death," Hrelle intoned with mock gravity.

Some of their audience laughed at that, until T'Varik clarified soberly, "Should we fail, Captain Hrelle will receive a permanent note on his record. Should you not wish this to occur, your full and active participation is required. I realise that this will not be a comfortable period for any of us - but I do not believe comfort was ever guaranteed to you as part of a life in Starfleet. Dismissed."

As the Squad Leaders and senior officers departed, T'Varik turned to Hrelle. "Captain, I have accepted by this point in our relationship that you are facetious by nature. But perhaps you could endeavour to restrain your more inappropriate jokes on certain occasions? I was not lying about the consequences of failing the Grey Alert status check."

He rested his hands on his belly, smiling. "Well, at this stage in my career, what's a permanent note or two on my record?"

"May I speak freely, Sir?"

"Always."

She hesitated; for a moment, Hrelle imagined she was reluctant to speak despite having his leave. "The cadets look up to you. They emulate your attitudes, both positive and negative. A permanent note on one's record is perhaps a minor inconvenience... for someone closer to the end of his career than the beginning. But for these cadets, their lives in Starfleet are only just starting. They need to appreciate how serious such a note could affect their future career opportunities."

His smile dropped. As did his good humour. "Point taken."

"I apologise for my bluntness, Sir."

"Never apologise for that. As the Counselor will confirm, sometimes I need a smack across the snout."

"Yes... though I suspect hers are more literal than metaphorical."

He grunted. "You got that right." He sighed. "I'm not looking forward to this. I hate the cold."

She breathed out. "For what it is worth, I am not sanguine about the imminent experience, either."

He nodded in understanding. "You should know before the rumours begin that Kami and I plan on sleeping together for the duration of the Grey Alert - strictly for sharing body heat."

"A logical idea."

"Am I allowed an inappropriate joke at this juncture?"

"If you must."

He grinned. "Care to join us? Think of the body heat we could share together."

She raised an eyebrow. "I believe in this instance there is an apropos human expression: 'Two's company, three's a crowd'."

*

Deck 1, Bridge, 1615 Hours:

It was dark, and quieter than usual, with the bright ashen light strip running the upper circumference of the bridge indicating Grey Alert, and the secondary stations shut down; Hrelle could even feel the difference with the ship running on minimal impulse power instead of the warp engines.

And perhaps it was also helped by the attitude everyone had adopted, even the cadets of Alpha Squad, manning their stations and performing professionally under the unusual circumstances.

With one notable exception. "Keep her steady, Mr Rrori, make sure you don't exceed Point Ten Impulse-"

"I understand the required parameters, Sir," Rrori informed him, without looking away from his display panels. "I achieved perfect scores in five of the Grey Alert simulations I undertook at the Academy."

"Really?" Hrelle let his sarcasm drip from his words. "How impressive. And how many simulations did you have to do to get those five perfect scores?"

"Just the five, Sir."

Hrelle frowned. "Steady as she goes, Mr Rrori." He didn't like this. He didn't like how this cub was behaving openly towards him. Worse, he didn't like his own reactions, so aggressive and confrontational. It wasn't like him. Was it all those jibes about his age? His appearance? How Kami could be interested in someone like Hrelle? He had to get a hold of himself.

Now the younger Caitian turned in his chair to face him again, his tail hanging down through the hole in the base of the back of his chair, and swishing with some anticipation. "Sir, this system's Oort Belt contains large asteroids and planetoids, many near the Buoys we will be approaching-"

"I know what composes Oort clouds, Cadet-"

"Yes, Sir, but I'm suggesting we can use the local bodies' gravity fields to slingshot ourselves closer to the sensors and shut down our impulses engines completely, thus reducing our power signature even further."

Hrelle frowned in thought. It was an interesting idea, with some ostensible merit. But... "Perhaps another time, Cadet."

"Sir, I did perform an identical manoeuvre in my last simulation, and received a note of commendation from the instructor. She was most impressed by my ingenuity-"

"Oh?" Hrelle raised his voice. "And would you like to be sent back to get another pat on the head from her? Because that can be arranged."

Rrori paled. "Excuse me, Sir, I was merely-"

"Cadet," T'Varik, standing behind Sasha at Operations, interjected. "The Captain has already responded to your suggestion. It is not your place to argue further."

Rrori visibly bit back another reply, before settling for, "Yes, Commander." Then he faced forward again, his tail on total droop.

Hrelle felt himself gripping the arms of his chair, more tense than he expected, more dismissive of Rrori's suggestion, and not quite knowing why. Would he have been so negative about the cub's suggestion if it had come from Lieutenant Velkovsky, or Giles, or Rina Chaudri? Yes, Rrori was annoyingly full of himself. But that could be tempered with time and experience.

Hrelle grunted, wondering if he was getting soft in his old age.

* Deck 1, Mess Hall, 2000 Hours:

The lights were out, but portable lanterns sat on the various tables, and though the replicators were off-line, there were stacks of ration trays waiting those coming in for their mid-shift meal, including Alpha Squad.

Jonas picked at his, easily distracted by talking about his experiences in Engineering. "It's the eeriest thing, walking around the warp core while it's off-line. I don't think I've ever seen it completely shut down since boarding."

Across from him, Kit asked eagerly, "Is it like a slumbering giant, still and silent as a starry night, its soft breath a whisper to the soul, with promises of the roar of warp speed?"

"Huh?"

Kit's eyes widened. "That's poetry!"

"Is it?" Neraxis grinned.

"Yes! Poetry is exclusive to the Artist gender on my world, but I feel I might master it!"

Sitting nearby with Eydiir between them, Rrori was focused on working out something on a PADD, but offered, "It needs improvement, Kit, but I will be more than pleased to assist you. I won several awards in Creative Writing back on Cait, and had my work published in my first school's journals, to great acclaim."

Sitting opposite Eydiir, Neraxis swallowed the food in her mouth and noted, "And yet despite all your achievements, you still manage to remain humble and unassuming. Are you working on an ode to yourself now?"

He never looked up. "No, I am completing the calculations on my slingshot suggestion."

"I thought Captain Hrelle turned you down?"

"Yes, but I'll pass on my proposal to Commander T'Varik."

Sitting across from him, Sasha had been silent and distracted through the meal, staring down at her food or looking anywhere else but directly at him. Now that changed. "That's not how things work in Starfleet, Cadet."