Surviving My 19th Summer Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Well, it was worth a shot. Can you tell I took Drama?"

"Holy crap, dude!" Tara punched me in the shoulder, "You nearly gave me a heart attack!"

The three of us carried on for a while, as we made trips to and from the ship. I learnt that they were both friends of one of the people I knew, but I didn't want to let on yet that I knew them. Of the 8 survivors I had rescued, 6 of them had been on their way to a camp at Lord Howe together. There was also a group of boys who were on the same plane (including the brother I had overheard them talk about) who were supposed to meet on the way to the campsite. The boys weren't seated any where near the girls, so they had no way of knowing if they made it out alive. I didn't want to bring up the sharks or the lack of whole bodies that I saw while I was rescuing them, so I just kept silent.

At around 2 in the afternoon, we finished unloading the boat and had set about making a late meal for ourselves and the other girls. I had already eaten breakfast while sailing, so I made Tara and Dana sit on the beach and eat some sandwiches while I prepared the ingredients for dinner. I hadn't packed a large amount as I planned to live off what I could catch as much as possible, but I had still packed a month's worth of non-perishable food and had some leftover fresh food from the sea trip. Fresh food is always easiest on deck.

I was in the middle of adding some chopped carrots and onions to the stew I was making (I always making stew the first night, it's a good way to use up leftovers from the journey out), when I heard screaming and saw Dana sprinting toward me. She look terrified.

"Jim, the girls woke up and tried to swim to shore," she panted slightly, but I was already moving with her, sensing the urgency.

"What happened?"

Running towards the beach wasn't helping Dana with her panting so she stopped and motioned for me to run ahead. A second later I heard her yell.

"Shark!"

I swore silently and put on a burst of speed. arriving at the shore, I could see the 6 remaining girls huddled on a tiny sandbar. Tara was kneeling on the beach crying. As I got closer I heard her.

"Not again! Not again! Not again..."

I swore out loud this time and shucked off my jacket. I draped it over her shoulders, prompting her to look up at me.

"I'll save them. I swear it on my life."

Tara gave me a teary smile and clutched my jacket closer. I tossed my shirt to the side but hesitated before I jumped into the water. I wouldn't be any good to them dead, even if the sharks left after that, the girls would still be stranded... Plus, I didn't really want to die 3 days before my 19th birthday. As I searched for a way to save them, my eyes caught on the canoe. It was worth a shot, hell, it was the best chance I had.

I pushed the canoe into the water and hopped in. Immediately, the shark circling the sandbar reacted. It stopped swimming in tight circles and began to lazily sweep the sandbar. It was waiting.

"Stay where you are! It's not gone yet!"

I knew how people tend to act in situations like these; they don't think about anything except escape. I needed to get there before one of them tried to bolt. Dipping the paddle into the water, I realised that it was barely waist deep where I was. If I could lure him towards me, the girls could escape while he struggled in the shallows.

"I'm going to toss you girls a paddle! I need one of you to grab it and then tell me when the shark moves towards me!"

'Once I'm in the water I won't have a good view of the shark until it's close enough to bite. I'll throw one paddle, slip into the water and push the canoe to them. Hopefully I'll get enough warning to get back to the shallows.'

I flung the paddle low, splashing the water with my other paddle to draw the shark's attention. Once the girls had the paddle I jumped from the canoe and splashed around some more. A shout from one of the girls told me the shark was on its way and I turned away from the sand bar and the ship. Kicking hard, I slid through the water parallel to the beach, struggling to swim with the paddle in one hand. This plan would be for nothing if they didn't have time to get in the canoe and get to the shore.

My heart was pounding and I cut right, closer to shallow water. As soon as my fingers grazed the sand I stood and raised the paddle above my head. I swung hard, eyes wide at how close my feet were to those teeth.

I connected with the spot above his gills and stumbled backward. The shark thrashed and turned away. I turned to see the girls run the canoe ashore and start getting out. Suddenly, one girl tripped and fell back into the water.

Acting on instinct, I shoved my fist in mouth and bit until I tasted blood. I dropped the hand back in the water and stirred it around. then I flipped the paddle around to hold it only slightly above the blade. The shark came back at a terrifying pace and I swung the paddle, hammering his nose with the handle. He slowed down but only circled once before coming back.

Raising the paddle high, I waited. I didn't have time to check if the girls were safe, only time to save myself now. The shark rolled slightly to the side and I could see it aim for my left leg. I started to bring my paddle down as I felt everything slow down.

In painful slow-motion, I watched the shark stir up the sand as he grounded himself, just before he began to close those powerful jaws around my leg.

I saw my hands drive the blade of the paddle downwards, felt the fibre-glass bend slightly as it struck and watched it slide under the vertical slit of the shark's gills.

Then I felt the fire in my thigh and everything sped up.

I fell back, unable to stand on my left leg, as the shark thrashed about.

He was practically beached and had my paddle imbedded in his gills. I staggered to my feet and tore the paddle free causing more struggling. Using it as a crutch, I propped myself up with my left leg lying on the shore. I then flipped the paddle and used the handle to hook the furthest of the shark's gills. I grunted as I heaved backwards, dragging his flailing body from the water by his gills.

With my remaining strength, I gave a mighty yank and fell as the handle tore through the flesh of its gills. I landed on my back with a heaving chest. Moment later the shark's corpse landed in the sand beside me.

Closing my eyes for a moment, I panted where I lay. I may have even passed out for a minute or two, because when I opened my eyes, I saw 8 pairs of eyes looking down at me in awe. I summoned an exhausted, but hopefully convincing, smile.

"So who wants some shark fin soup?"

-——————————-

"Dana."

"Tara."

"Stacy."

"Robin."

"Mandy."

"Cleo."

"Violet."

There was a pause.

"Ugh, Sarah."

"Thank you."

After Dana and Tara helped me limp back to camp, I introduced myself and prompted a roll-call of sorts.

"Hey, not that I'm complaining, but how the hell did you manage to save us? Twice, now."

Sarah had never been the most tactful person. Her younger sister, Violet, slapped her shoulder and gave her a glare.

"Sorry Jim, she's been complaining ever since you rescued us. I swear I heard her badmouthing you in her sleep."

I chuckled at the embarrassment evident on Sarah's cheeks.

"Hey, as long as you're still dreaming about me," I shot her a flirty wink, replacing her blush with outrage. However, Cleo spoke before she got the chance.

"Sorry, I don't really know anyone here... I was sitting next to Robin, but we didn't really talk much. How do you three know each other?"

I could feel Sarah's angry stare warning me to stay silent, so I waited for her to respond. Instead, Violet stood up dramatically and moved between Sarah and I.

"It's a tragic love story really," Violet was now the target of Sarah's wrath, but she was undeterred, "Jimmy was the new kid on the block and the new kid at school. He was picked on for being so small."

This earned a few snickers from the girls (as I was fair from small any more) and drew a grimace from me. Violet offered me a smile, though, and I grinned back at the incredulous response that got from Sarah.

"Suddenly, at the end of his first week, he discovered a beauty who was in the class next to his. He chased after her and peered at her around corners... It wasn't really creepy because they were only in Grade three," Stacy and Tara 'aww'ed in eerie synchronicity, "Finally, after much deliberation and heart-throbbing, Jimmy asked the girl's younger sister (that's me) to deliver a note to her. The younger sister couldn't stand secrets back then, so she read the note before she gave it to her sister. It said, 'I love you.'."

Now all the girls were 'aww'ing and I couldn't help but blush at this story being dug up. Violet looked at me with adoring eyes and I smiled back, thinking it was because of my actions so long ago.

"Then what happened?"

Violet got an irritated look on her face as she recalled the rest of the story. She sighed and faced her sister with judgement clear on her face.

"My sister deemed him 'unworthy' of her time and had her friends pick on him some more."

Sarah spluttered as 6 dreamy faces became mirrors of Violet's expression.

"That's not entirely fair! It was Grade three, I didn't know any better. And besides, he was such a loser about it."

Sarah faced me with a sneer that was clearly meant to intimidate. It helped that I was stuck on the ground because of my leg.

"You kept stalking me all through primary school. You even followed me home, freak! I was lucky you went to an all-boys high school, because the guys I did like all thought we were an item! And still, two years ago you still found a way to harass me!"

I could feel the impact Sarah's words were having on the other girls. They were wondering whether they were really lucky, having been saved by what appeared to be a psychotic stalker.

"Oh, shut up," Violet said with a roll of her eyes. Somehow, she managed to reign in her sister's rant and put an end to the other girls' negative thoughts. "Jim just saved your life, twice. He stuck around our group in school because I felt like the odd one out being the youngest. He moved to another school because people started rumors of him for dating me, as well as being short. It didn't bother him because we weren't actually dating, but he was worried that people would give me a hard time about it. Contrary to your belief, Jim's 'obsession' with you ended when he realised how heartless you could be. I was the one who wanted him to stick around, he was my best friend and... I really liked you..."

Violet looked at the ground as she finished talking and when she looked up again, it was right into my eyes. I was lost for words. I guess I had an idea that we were close, but I never imagined that she had a crush on me. For a moment, everything was silent.

Then Mandy sighed dramatically, "Phew, that was a tragic love story."

The girls all laughed, but I saw a moment of guilt pass across Violet's face.

"Of course, that was nothing more than a primary school crush," Violet hastily stated, "It has been a while though Jim, and I'm glad you saved us all. Anything else you'd like to add?"

I was confused by the transition and glanced around as I thought it over. As I did, I could have sworn I caught a glimpse of relief slide across Mandy's face.

'Huh, didn't see that one coming...'

"Um, I can't think of anything worth adding..." I trailed off as I realised there was one more problem that hadn't been addressed. I turned to Sarah, who seemed dazed at having her steam blown away so quickly. "Actually, yes, one more thing. In regards to me 'following you home'. I went past your house for two reasons, neither of which had very much to do with you. Firstly, Violet and I would talk on the way home, which I sure you'd have noticed if you weren't so self-centred. And secondly, my grandparents lived 3 doors down from you. I went to visit them on days that I walked home with Violet."

I felt smug for a second, but immediately felt bad when I took a look at Sarah's face. She looked utterly defeated. No, she looked betrayed. Betrayed by her sister and her memory.

"Okay, girls, could you let me talk to Sarah for a bit? We have a lot to catch up on," I kept my eyes on her face as I said this, catching her gaze as she reacted to what I'd said, "In the meantime, maybe someone can make sure that the stew hasn't burnt up? Oh! Anyone who isn't too squeamish please try to drag the shark over here. I won't be able to do too much moving until this leg heals."

I shot a reassuring smile at Sarah and turned to gauge the girls reactions. Violet seemed to be the only one put out by this turn of events. Dana even had something to say about it.

"Trying to get some alone time with the feisty one? Good luck Casanova," she snickered, "That shark took a decent chomp out of you; you're damaged goods now."

"The name's Fox; Jim Fox. And I'll have you know I'm in perfect working order," I patted the inside of my right thigh, "I tuck to the right."

I shot Dana a wink as she turned towards the shark and heard her scoff over her shoulder. Robin, Tara and her twin followed Dana toward the shark as Cleo and Mandy headed toward the other tarp to check on the stew. Violet hesitated and I saw Mandy pause beside her.

'Interesting... Looks like I'm right...'

"Go on Violet, I just need to clear the air with your sister."

Violet opened her mouth and then closed it. I noticed her eyes dart toward Mandy and then back at my own before she nodded and turned away. I waited until they were out of earshot before I addressed Sarah.

"Look, I know that it seems like things have been turned on their head, but I can't allow you to fight me. At the very least, you can't fight me here. I don't know when we'll be able to head back to Australia with this," I motioned to the bandaged shark bite on my leg, "But if we're going to survive long enough to make it home, you all have to listen to me."

Sarah snapped out of her funk and levelled a look of disdain at me. I could tell that she didn't appreciate me trying to console her, or trying to earn her respect.

"Look, you saved us twice, so feel free to stroke your ego, but we can handle ourselves just fine. We'll make a raft or something..."

I tried to contain my laugh and failed, serving only to irritate Sarah further.

"What?" Sarah demanded, "You don't think we can take care of ourselves. Is it because we're women?"

I waited for her to finish sneering before I held up three fingers.

"Firstly, you are the only women here, the others are still girls," I wasn't sure, but she seemed to blushed at this, "Second, I'm sure you could take care of yourselves, but I don't think you could do a very good job on an island like this. You've never been here, and I would be very surprised if you had the same experience I do with survival runs. And lastly... Are really telling me you're going to build a raft to get home? Even assuming that you know how to make a sturdy raft big enough for 8 - sorry, 7 girls and one woman. Even assuming that, how do you expect to make a four-day sailing trip, by raft, without any navigation apparatus?" I shook my head, "You'd either get attacked by sharks, drift off course, get stuck in a storm or just plain old capsize. It isn't worth the risk for the sake of your pride."

Sarah scowled at me and opened her mouth to talk, but I cut her off realising that there was one more thing.

"Look, I sent the girls away so that I could talk to you alone and make amends, but if you're so adamant to prove I'm a bad person, I will not apologise. Besides, there is one more thing I forgot to mention: Those girls respect me. Between your potentially suicidal do-it-yourself attitude and my experience, I'd hazard a guess that they'd stick with me."

With a huff, Sarah stood and stormed off past the girls dragging the shark under the tarp. As she reached them, she turned around and stormed back, making all the girls turned to watch my reaction.

"Since you're so hung up on me being wrong, how about you explain all the creepy letters you sent me in Grade 11!?"

Before I could respond, I heard Violet groan loudly and yell over my head in a very annoyed voice.

"Oh stop bitching. They were love letters, it was cutesy and romantic. You're being so cruel to the guy who just saved our lives — And don't you dare blame this on Jacob..."

'Jacob..? That rings a bell...'

Apparently it also struck a chord in Sarah, because she faltered before turning and sprinting away from camp. When I looked at Violet she immediately turned back to the stew, but not before I saw a single tear sliding down her face. That was when I remembered who Jacob was.

Growing up, I never really went over to people's houses; we usually met up somewhere, or they came to my place, because I live right next to a park. I especially never went into Violet/Sarah's house, but I knew most of the family members through Violet's various tales about them. Jacob was the eldest sibling in their family, having been born 5 years ahead of Sarah.

'Oh no... Jacob...'

Between earlier conversations and the evening's drama, I put the pieces together pretty quickly. There was more than one reason why things were so tense between Sarah and Violet. Clearly, Jacob had also been on that plane.

'Well... Fuck.'

-——————————-

As much as I wanted to go after Sarah or sit Violet down and talk, there were several reasons I couldn't. I knew that these girls had been through a rough couple of days. What they needed right now was sleep; we could settle any disputes in the morning. I also wasn't sure exactly what to say to them, especially considering that I was the singular guy stuck on the island with 8 girls. It isn't quite as glamorous as it sounds.

"Plus, I can't really chase them in my condition," I grumbled aloud, unknowingly attracting the attention of a figure behind the tree line.

I had decided it was too much hassle to tackle the Jacob issue tonight and was dragging myself to a small waterfall-turned-lake that Dana had found after dinner. Dinner had gone fairly well, with Sarah returning to eat in stony silence before storming off promptly after. I shook my head and gave the dense vegetation before me a quick scan. It would have taken me at least an hour to get to the waterfall if Dana hadn't insisted on coming with me. I truly appreciated her help but put my foot down when she offered to stick around and help me bathe.

"What's the matter, tough guy? Worried that I'll take another chomp out of you?"

She had asked it while supporting me and I could feel her hand stroking my unbitten thigh. She was only stroking the outer side, but with each pass she got closer to the head of my cock, tucked, as I had joked, down the right leg of my pants. Prying her hands of me, I limped out of her reach and thanked her.

"I'm flattered, but I'm still not letting you follow me down. If you're truly worried about me, wait here; you'll be able to hear me shout for help, if I need to."

I didn't wait for an answer, just turned and walked past the tree line into the waterfall's clearing. To be honest, Dana scared me just a little. I'd discovered during dinner that, with the exception of Sarah and Robin, all the girls were 18. And yet, despite being a solid, down-to-earth girl, Dana had the sex drive of a 25 year-old 'needle'. Sure, light flirting was just flirting, but in the 10 hours she'd been awake, Dana had run her hands all over my clothed body, sat in my lap on the back and forth trips in the canoe and during dinner, plus she had made a point of checking the dressing I'd given my leg. She went so far as to rub her cheek against my thigh, on the pretext of 'getting a closer look' at the wound.