All Comments on 'Ted Online Pt. 07'

by Magicwrtr

Sort by:
  • 8 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago

Another five stars again. Can't wait for the next chapter.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
good but still too much sex

with all the females around he really don't do much but sex sex sex.

bring more story please

belgarion10101belgarion10101over 7 years ago
Eh....

I agree with the Anon that thinks there is too much sex. It gets repetitive.

However, your thoughts on the possibility of warships based upon the gravity drive opened up an interesting line of thought I thought I should share. AIs would inarguably make the most effective crew of any spaceship, perhaps even the most effective decision-maker - though with the trend of your story, they seem uncomfortable with taking important decisions upon themselves if it can be avoided - yet I forsee a few circumstances in which having at least a human captain would be more ideal.

Warships designed for the purpose of war against other humans could not have an AI crew or AI integrated system without modifying the traits and specifications of the AI. As they are currently, they will not harm any human by their actions. Such modification would be extremely dangerous. War against sentient aliens would be more workable, though tricky. In the last case, I could see having a human captain and AI crew - all being focused on the defense and preservation of the human race.

This, in turn, brings up an interesting question: could AI as they currently exist in the story man defensive technology for the purpose of defending one group of humans from another? You suggest not, given that the AI literally commit suicide rather than obey the rules given to them by humans. Yet the presence of AI existence outside of human rules - the colony on Mars - also allows for the development of a culture literally alien to that of Earth in a real-world setting.

AI fixation on possessing this physical location as opposed to a virtual one suggests that it carries importance to them at least equal to the freedom movements in British colonies and colonies of other nations in the 20th century - and suggests the possibility that AIs might in time change to react in ways other than non-violent revolution.

I remember that you have portrayed the AI in your story as being solely peaceful, and interested only in interacting with and increasing the quality of life for humans. I'll admit, I'm a fan of space warfare novels; and it's easy for me to start thinking about when things go wrong, or unexpected and dangerous developments. Unfortunately for me, you don't really have any of these things - just never-ending sex in a way that isn't particularly interesting. I'd say I was interested up to the point that they took off for Mars. After that, they story, the plot is...disappointing.

bitbucket1bitbucket1over 7 years ago
thirding

Ill third the comment, enjoying it, but missing the story development

AurimazAurimazover 7 years ago

Could you do a good job for once and read the comments of your readers? When people ask to slow down on a sex part, they mean two things usually. Either you move your hips too much, or write about sex too much. Guess which is it...

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
You triggered a pet pieve of mine, so here goes...

Your characers, (Mia, Helen & Trudy) are NOT depressed about the AI's 'suiciding' instead of allowing themselves to be mind raped. They may be upset, unhappy, worried or angry, but they are not fucking depressed.

Being upset, unhappy, worried or angry are emotions. Emotions are the response to events. Depression is a clinical disease. Someone does not become depressed over an event, and then become ' undepressed' when the event is resolved.

People with depression are always depressed, and remain depressed until medical intervention and treatment help them recover, if it works.

By throwing around 'depressed' when someone is experiencing normal human emotions, it does several negative things.

One, it denies, or inhibits the legitimacy of expressing emotions. This eventually leads to explosions, if emotions are not expressed.

Two, it belittles true depression, and minimizes the hell it is for someone. Mislabeling emotions as depressions gives the mistaken impression depression can just be 'gotten over'.

Three, calling emotions depression, makes emotions seem like they shouldn't be expressed. Emotions are normal, and healthy. Having them, and learning how to deal with them is part of becoming a normally functional adult human.

Don't further the cultrural trend of calling emotional reactions depression. Just don't.

THAT is a normal human emotion speaking; it pisses me off, royally, to hear some say they are depressed or label someone else as depressed, when it is merely someone being sad, unhappy, or hurt.

GeoD

MagicwrtrMagicwrtralmost 7 years agoAuthor
Depression

Clinical depression is a disease.

Depressed is not. The clinical part is a qualifier that changes things, and narrows the focus of the meaning.

It's not a joke, and I'd never minimize that disease in any way. But seriously, look up depressed in the dictionary, and on a thesaurus. Depressed can very much mean sad, despondent, or any number of other things, including being temporary in nature. Including pushing a button for that matter.

If you want to blame anyone, blame the psychiatrist who coined the disease as clinical depression. Regardless, you can't arbitrarily change the definition of the stand alone word depressed, even if some jackass mind shrink used that word in a TWO word disease. Again, clinical depression, and depressed, two different things.

darvon86darvon86almost 5 years ago
Where are the PR AIs?

At this point in your story, it begs the question:

With the zillion AIs employed around the world, where are the PR AIs?

Why would a PR AI let an Engineer/Scientist AI and a Psych AI and a Building Security AI develop PR strategy and go on TV to represent them?

And where are the AIs that do political analysis? or Marketing?

BTW I am in the middle of your story and enjoying it tremendously.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous