That Was Then - This is Now Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

During my incarceration, my parents came every month for a visit. My mom, for some reason looked a little better each time, but I could see that Dad's health was failing. The only ground rules I had with them were there was to be no discussion whatever about Erica and what had happened. All that was over, and eventually I would get out and begin a new life. My brother and sisters always sent their love and sent small presents of items that were treasured such as tooth paste, toothbrushes, and other toiletries which I willingly shared with Jim and a few others who had become sort of friends.

About four years into my sentence I was called to the wardens' office. I knew it wasn't about the computer classes, they were going well and the guards had been giving good reports on the program. No, this time it was a family thing. My father had died of a massive heart attack. Because of my good behaviour, I was to be given a two day parole to attend his funeral. I would be accompanied by a guard, and we would be leaving the next morning. The warden expressed his condolences and said that he hoped this wouldn't have any detrimental effect on the computer classes. I assured him that it wouldn't if I could help it since my Dad would be up there watching over me and I knew he'd kick my ass if I screwed up.

The guard and I attended the funeral. He wasn't too bad, and gave me some extra time to spend with my family. Because I wasn't considered a flight risk, there were no shackles or handcuffs. I had given my word, and that seemed to be enough. My Mom explained that Dad had been slowly going downhill since I was sent to prison, whereas she seemed to flourish. She said it was because she had someone to care for that really needed her help and that worrying about me and my situation wouldn't be any good to anyone. I felt that maybe she had missed her calling and should have become a nurse. The funeral, of course, was a sad event. I wasn't allowed any contact with anyone other than the minister and my immediate family. I didn't realize how many friends my parents had until I saw the crowd at the cemetery. I knew people had wanted to talk to me, to give me their regards and condolences, but I was kept away from everyone by the guard.

As the graveside service commenced I looked around at the people and realized that I knew most of them from when I had been growing up here in town. I wondered if I would ever see any of them again, for I knew at that moment that I probably wouldn't be coming back here again. I thought I saw Erica in the back of the crowd, but couldn't be sure. Her parents were here since they had been good friends of the family for almost my entire life.

It was almost with relief that I returned to the prison. True to my word, I hadn't even thought about running for it. The guard of course had to report on my behaviour. I guess it was a good report.

The computer classes evolved. There wasn't much turnover in students, and those that came were, at least to all appearance, willing to learn. I had started with the very basics, similar to the way I had learned, graduating from installing hardware, memory, and other components, to troubleshooting the hardware. In the end, most could diagnose hardware problems and provide the solution with little help from me. Teaching the operating system support was more difficult. We took it in baby steps, how Windows did what it did, its role in the operation of the computer, why it did what it did, and the major causes of the myriad of problems it could have. I had barely touched the basics, but it would have to do. Anything further in depth was way beyond my resources.

The next step was to teach networking. Though I had been teaching Jim all along in our cell, he had finally been allowed to attend the classes when one of the inmates made parole. He took to networking like a duck to water. I decided to split the class in half, with each half being a network. I was able to persuade the warden to get me a used router, since they could be had for next to nothing, and a bunch of networking cable, and began to teach networking.

First we started with the cabling, and the differences in the cables that were used, and why certain ones were used in which situation. Basically the way I learned about networking, from the ground up so that's how I taught it. Then we went on to protocols and their role, graduating on to installation and troubleshooting. All of this took months, since we only had two hours a day. My students could be found in the common areas talking about computers, software, networking, and anything else to do with computers, much to the amusement of other inmates. They became known as the Geek Squad, and they must have considered it a badge of honour. For the most part, the other inmates left us alone, since we might have been talking Latin for all they could figure out.

Chapter 4

I was finally released from prison, having served a full seven years. Jim had been released about two months before me, and his replacement didn't know anything about " 'puters and geek stuff, and didn't want to know." We agreed to disagree. Except for Jim being gone, not much really changed for me. I got the call to the wardens' office and informed of my impending release. We had not become friends, that wouldn't ever happen, but we had a mutual respect. I told him that I could never repay him for the trust he had in me, and the chances he had given me while in prison. His response almost moved me to tears for the first time in this place.

"Evan, I've seen hundreds of men come through these doors and could count on two hands the number that I thought would be able to flourish on the outside. You're one of the few. Your behaviour in here was exemplary, and it was almost a pleasure seeing you develop into a responsible young man. I know that you have a great future ahead of you, and the only thanks you can give is to get back into the world and become the best you that you can be. "

I was somewhat stunned at this coming from the warden, but what he said next really floored me.

"You have served a full seven years, including the one year in hospital. You will be on parole for 3 years after your release. Here are the terms of your parole. Read and heed is the only advice I can give you. Do you have anywhere to live when you get out?"

"Uh, I don't, um it's...No sir, but I didn't expect this. I guess I have to make some phone calls, if I have permission."

"Granted. Officer, escort Mr Wright to the visiting area and let him make his phone calls. Evan, your release is scheduled for next week. Good luck. I don't expect to see you back here again."

"Thank you sir, I'll do my best not to let you down, or me."

So I was released. My youngest sister, Debbie, told me that I could bunk at their place until I got things arranged. She and her husband (it didn't seem that long, but my youngest sister was married?) had a spare room in their basement that I could use. She met me in the visitors' parking lot with a huge hug, and chattered non-stop for the four hours it took to get to her house. Gerry, her husband, wouldn't be home until around 5:00, so I could just relax and enjoy my first day of freedom. I didn't really want to go anywhere, and quite happily sat in the sun in their backyard, playing with George, their very spoiled Shih Tsu. I became his new best friend because I would play throw the ball as long as he wanted.

Debbie came out and told me she had to run to the store, and did I need anything. I told her I was good and me and George would stay and guard the house. She giggled, since George was curled up in a ball on the foot of my chaise lounge, sound asleep, tired from his game of chase the ball. I had an ice tea going, and was just enjoying the peace and quiet.

I must have dozed off, because the next voice I heard was my brother, James. "Hey you. You're lookin' good. Glad you're out. I thought we'd hang out a bit. My boss gave me some time off. He knows all about you." He continued on in this vein for awhile, and we gradually got caught up on our lives. He was the assistant manager of an auto parts store, and looked to have a good future with them. His girlfriend was a dental assistant and would be over when she was finished work. Barb, my other sister, and her significant other would be over later as well. The only one missing would be Mom; she couldn't get here until tomorrow and would be staying with Barb.

Debbie got home and started to get some things together for dinner. James appointed himself the barbeque chef and was happily burning meat when Gerry came home from work. He greeted me warmly and said he glad to finally meet the oldest brother. The fact that I had just got out of prison never came up at all. As a matter of fact, we began discussing computers and how they could be adapted to help run his business, an office supply company. He had several large contracts and badly needed some help with all the paperwork. It gave me something to think about.

Barb and her partner Brenda arrived not too long after Gerry. I was a bit surprised at the relationship but if they were happy, that was alright with me. They were a bit guarded around me at first, understandably, but soon realized that I certainly wasn't going to judge them. We then all sat down together to eat, me with George at my feet looking for handouts, and it became just a family gathering with lots of laughing, teasing and gossip. It was good to be out. I didn't realize how much I'd missed my siblings.

Later, after everyone left, I asked Debbie if it was okay to have a shower. She laughed and said that no permission was needed. Old habits die hard. I was used to only one shower a week. A bath would have been an untold luxury. I felt really tired and went to bed shortly after my shower. I thought that I would sleep like a baby. Not a chance. The bed was too comfortable and the house too quiet. Even during quiet hours, prisons are a noisy place. I guess it would take time to get used to my new life. After all, it hadn't even been one day yet.

Giving up on sleep, I quietly went to the kitchen and got some more iced tea, then went and sat outside on the deck. It was a beautiful night. No moon and the stars seemed to be extra bright just because I was free. I began thinking of what kind of program would be best for Gerry. I wasn't sure exactly what paperwork he was talking about so I ran several scenarios over in my mind. I was sure that I could work something out, or even adapt a current commercial product to suit his needs. It was something to explore in the days ahead.

Late next morning, after some breakfast and the luxury of another shower, I took the transit downtown. I knew that I still had some money on deposit in the Credit Union I'd dealt with while I was in university. I just didn't know how much. I was pleasantly surprised to find over $5,000 in my account. I asked the teller if I could get up to date statements going back almost 8 years. She had to call her manager to help with that, and I was greeted like a long lost friend by an acquaintance from university. He had been in a different program, but we had shared a couple of classes.

He invited me into his office while one of the staff got the statements for me. I took the opportunity to ask about business financing and what they would need for me to set up an account. Since I did get my degree while in prison, I thought about setting up a small shop that dealt with computer repair and small business networking. I wouldn't need a lot of capital to start, and I could approach some suppliers about pricing and financing. Fred, the manager, told me that I shouldn't rush into getting a bunch of financing at the start. Get the business up and running then expand slowly. I thought that this was good advice on his part and thanked him as I grabbed all the statements and headed back to Debbie's house.

So now I had two projects, find a place to live, and find a place to set up shop. Another thing I had to decide is where, exactly, that this new life would take place. I had decided at my Dad's funeral that moving back to the old home town wasn't an option.

I had Debbie take me to Fairview to meet my parole officer, Tim Simpson, who turned out to be a decent guy. I asked if I could get permission to move to Kent, a town of about 20,000 people almost midway between my hometown of Bridgeville and the university located in Fairview. When I explained my plans to him, he was all for it. I would still have to drive into Fairview to meet him, but I didn't think this would be a problem. My next self-appointed task was to find an affordable set of wheels so that I was mobile. I also got permission for that, though I really didn't need it. I thought that I might have to take a driving test, or at least a refresher course. He thought that might be a good idea, but I could play it by ear.

I got back to Debbie's just in time for lunch. While we were eating I explained my plans to her. Although it was only my second day free, it seemed like longer since things seemed to be going my way for a change. We got into her Subaru and went vehicle shopping. Since I would have a store, what I needed had to be large enough for carrying boxes and stuff, but economical. I ended up settling on an older Ford Ranger extended cab. I was in my price range, and would do for now.

We then drove over to Kent to see about apartments and store spaces for rent. The apartment was fairly easy, and we found a two bedroom not too far from the downtown core. One bedroom would be set up as an office. Finding an appropriate and affordable store for rent was more problematic. There were quite a few for rent, but you'd have thought it was downtown Vancouver for what they wanted. I could see why they were vacant. We ended up talking to a property manager who was an acquaintance to Debbie and Gerry, and once again, luck was on my side. An older widow had just closed her sweets shop. The other half of the building was a coffee shop that also served breakfast and lunch. It was open until 4:00 each afternoon, and closed weekends. The half that she wanted to rent was a perfect size.

Over coffee, I discovered that her ultimate goal was to sell the whole building and move to the coast to be closer to her grandkids. This was, apparently, a five-year plan. We ultimately came to a deal where I would have right of first refusal to buy the whole building if things worked out for me. I would be responsible for utilities and the like, but would get a discount on meals and coffee. A handshake sealed the deal, and we left the property manager to get the paperwork ready. Marie was a real sweetheart and I had a feeling that we would become friends. Later I would realize that she was almost like a second mother.

Everything was going so well, and so quickly, that I wondered if it were some kind of weird dream. Given my past, I was wondering when the roof would cave in. Debbie phoned our Mom who said she would be there for dinner, and yes I could have my old bedroom set and a few other things from the house. She was planning to sell the house anyway, so it would be just that much less that she'd have to get rid of.

I took the rest of the afternoon to relax and play with George. Maybe, just maybe, my life was getting back on track. It was too early to tell, of course, but things were definitely looking up.

Chapter 5

The next few weeks were hectic, but finally I was in my apartment and the store was almost ready for opening. I just had to wait for the various governments to give their approval, and I could open. Gerry, with his business contacts, was an invaluable resource. I found him to be a great guy and perfect for my little sister. Instead of just brothers in law, we were becoming buddies.

I was messing around in the store, getting the work area organized and puttering around when the chime sounded, advising that someone had come into the store. The monitor from the security camera showed that a woman had come in and was looking around. I went out front and said, "I'm sorry ma'am, I'm not open for..." and realized it was my sister Barb.

"Evan, I just thought I'd pop in and see how it's going. Debbie said that you're nearly ready to open."

"Yeah, just waiting for the bureaucrats, you know how slow they can be. But, I'm good at waiting. If nothing else, I did learn that inside."

"Don't sell yourself short. From what I've heard you did a lot more than that. Never thought that my big brother would become a teacher."

"Who have you been talking to?"

"Evan, your parole officer is Wendy's brother. He and his wife were over at our place the other night and I asked about you. He thinks very highly of you, even though you've only met once. Of course I couldn't see it, but I guess the report from the prison was a real eye opener."

"Yeah, well. I just tried to keep busy until my time was up."

"Just keep thinking that, big brother," said laughed, punching me lightly on the arm. "Come on and let's go get a coffee. "

We went next door to Marie's and settled in at a table near the back. Marie came over with the coffees and profusely thanked me for setting up internet access in the cafe. She'd always wanted to do it, but thought it would cost too much and take too long. It had taken me about 2 hours using some used parts. I told her it would cost her a lunch someday.

"Evan," said Barb, "I'm not really sure how to bring this up." She took a huge breath, slowly exhaling, then continued, "It's about Erica, I thought..."

"Don't even go there Barb." I became angry, really angry. What was this with her bringing up Erica? That water was long under the bridge. "As far as she goes, she doesn't exist in my world, and won't! Ever! That subject is taboo and it's not negotiable."

"I knew you'd feel that way." She placed her hand over mine and squeezed gently. "Evan, I don't blame you one bit, but please hear me out."

I sat there for a moment, feeling my guts twisting again as the last seven years of my life flashed across my brain. No, not gonna happen. I didn't want to hear about her and certainly didn't want to see or talk to her.

"Sorry Barb. No. There's too much baggage there. That's one subject that's off the table"

"But Evan, I just want to..."

"No Barb, anything but that. And that's final. I've spent over seven years getting her out of my system, so, no, I don't even want to hear her name."

She nodded, accepting the finality of my statement. We chatted on about other things, but the black cloud that had settled over me wouldn't go away. After awhile she rose to go, "I have to get back. Wendy and I have some things to do." She gave me a quick peck on the cheek and was gone.

I went back to the shop, but couldn't concentrate on getting anything done, not that there was much to do anyway. I decided that I needed someone to talk to, someone who could give me an objective viewpoint or at least understand what I was thinking. Jim, my ex-cellmate. Of course! I had tracked him down to a suburb of Vancouver. I didn't know if he was working or what, but resolved to give him a call after dinner.

"Jim, it's Evan. How's it going? Finally tracked you down. What made you move to the coast?"

"Evan, man. Good to hear a friendly voice. Things aren't too good. I'm at my parents' place right now, living in their granny suite in the basement. Not much work out there for a big, black ex-con computer guy."

"Jim, I'm really sorry to hear that. Really. I didn't even bother with that part. I decided that after seven years of being ordered around, I wanted to be the boss for a change. Started up my own place. Grand opening probably in a week or so once all the paperwork is done."

"Glad for you man. If I could afford it I'd look at doing that too. Costs an arm and two legs just to find a closet down here. My parents offered to help me out, but they'd be just pouring money down the drain. Fuck, man. I'm almost at an end. Don't know what to do. I do want to do the computer thing, but it's not putting any food on the table."