The Ballad of Zachery Carson Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
woodmanone
woodmanone
2,294 Followers

This day's work would be the herd grazing to the east of the ranch house. Nigel watched when Zach roped a straying steer. The next one that took off, he pointed Mr. Woodstock at the runaway animal and gave the horse its head. When he got close enough he threw his lariat and as the noose settled over the steer's horns he took a couple of turns around the saddle horn and pulled in on the reins.

Mr. Woodstock braced hisself and when the rope tightened the steer was jerked to a stop. Nigel turned his horse and brought the stray back to the herd. Zach pointed to the gloves that Nigel was wearing, nodded his approval, tipped his hat at Nigel, and went after another steer. Nigel took his turn at the branding fires, learning how to throw the calves and smaller yearlings. He watched and copied the men's movements as they would rush in to apply a hot iron and dance back.

Nigel offered to tend to Gris for Zach when they got back to the corral at the end of the work day. "No thanks Nigel," Zach said. "I like to spend the time with the big fellar and tell him what a good horse he is. Go on ahead and get cleaned up; I'll be along shortly."

Nigel finished tending to Mr. Woodstock and then walked slowly and stiffly up to the ranch house. For the next month Zach taught Nigel the workings of the ranch. Almost each day he learned more and became a pretty good wrangler. "Not something I'd like to do for a living," Nigel admitted at dinner the night before he went back to St. Louis.

"You done good Nigel," Zach said. "Now, when you're sitting in that office, remember how much work and luck is necessary to bring our cattle to your buyers." Zach smiled. "Maybe you won't be so eager to sell em cheap."

Sir Gerald, Kathleen, and Nigel left the next morning. Kathleen planned on accompanying her father to St. Louis. She would do a little shopping and take advantage of the things a big city could offer for a month until Sir Gerald went on to New York and then to England.

Three weeks after they left, Zach got a telegram telling him that Kathleen had decided to go on to New York with her father. Then, two weeks later he got another saying that she was going to visit Berkshire England and wouldn't return to Astor Manor for several months.

********************

"It will nice to have Miss Kathleen home again," Mrs. Kraft said to Zach as he finished breakfast. They'd received word that she'd arrived in Prescott on the previous evening's train and it had been too late to finish her journey. Mr. Kraft had started before daylight with a carriage to bring her home. Kathleen would be coming out to the ranch about mid day.

"Yep, she's been gone for most six months now," Zach replied. "Be good to see her." He stood, put on his hat and started for the door. "Got to work the cattle on the north range today; I'll be back about supper time."

Instead of staying out on the range all day as he normally did, Zach made it a point to ride back to the ranch house when the sun told him it was high noon. Kathleen was sitting in a rocker in the breezeway. She waved to him and bounced down the rise to meet Zach at the corrals. As he dismounted, Kathleen hugged him.

"Hello Lady Kathleen," Zach hugged her back and responded, "It's good to see you too."

"I've missed my knight and the ranch," she said. Kathleen walked over to Gris and reached up to stroke and smooth the forelock hanging between his ears. "I've got so much to tell you and talk to you about Zach." Linking her arm in his, she added, "But it can wait. Mrs. Kraft has lunch prepared for us; come eat and then maybe you'll join me on a ride around Astor Manor."

After eating, Zach saddle Chuckles for Kathleen and they rode around the ranch until dinner time. They took the time to clean up after their ride and sat down to a feast.

"You deserve some good food now that you're home," Mrs. Kraft said as she and her husband served Kathleen and Zach.

After dinner, Kathleen poured Zach a whiskey, gave him one of her father's cigars and led him to the breezeway. "Zach, we need to talk," she said as they sat in two rocking chairs.

"We about talked out how glad you were to be back at the ranch Kathleen," Zach replied with a grin.

"No, I mean we need to talk about us," she said.

"What about us?"

To Be Continued

woodmanone
woodmanone
2,294 Followers
12