The Conner Family Ch. 09

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Rugrat60
Rugrat60
106 Followers

Then she would remember she always felt someone take her hand. Or he would wrap his arms about her and hold her safe. And then the soft voice of her life long best friend, would tell her he was there. And he would hold her tight and close. Keeping her safe.

She could feel her eyes stinging yet again as she took another deep, shuddering breath.

And while he held her she was no longer afraid. She did not care about the darkness, or the fear; or the pain she still felt. He was there! Like he always had been. From childhood. Their teens. And – and when she awoke to darkness in the hospital.

Her thoughts jumped forward.

And then she did not care about the scars. He was always there.

He cared not about her burns. He looked beyond what her body looked like now.

He was there for her. Like he always had been. Only now their relationship had changed.

She took a deep shuddering breath as she sighed into the semi-darkness of the room.

And the tears began to run down her cheeks.

Then – she remembered, months later, when she had returned home, medically discharged from the Navy. With her future taken from her. Her parents had informed her that both she and Ken, her best friend forever, had been found as babies after a tornado had struck their town and with no identification, and no one coming forward, they had been adopted.

Then that same night – her cousin – her best friend forever – the man now laying beside her – had asked her to marry him.

She could again feel her eyes still stinging with her tears as she remembered how happy she was then. And now – as then. Her dark and empty future faded.

And that was just a few weeks ago. That surprising question he asked her on Christmas Eve.

And their families accepted their decision. Actually they had pushed the idea. Guided them to it.

Now – once again. she was going to return to Florida to that same Navy Base with her soon to be husband and they were going to be staying in the base's guest housing.

She kept remembering things and events and those special moments in her life. And it seemed that every memory involved the man beside her in some way.

She knew she should get some sleep.

But she was still wide awake. Her thoughts were racing. Her emotions were swirling in tight circles.

Her memories of him filled her mind. And unlike the man she had married and had deserted her, this man she was laying next to was the one person who was always there. He never once lied to her. Never once took advantage of her. Never once had he broken a promise. She could not count the number times he had stood beside her defending her and her honor. Or just being there when she needed help. Or just someone to talk to.

"I'm here, Jen," whispered Ken softly beside her, her best friend, talking to her in the semi-darkness. As he wrapped his arm around her and pulled her close. "I'm here." He tightened his hold on her. Holding her close against him. "Jen, I'll always be here."

Jennifer took a deep ragged breath and blew it out as she relaxed against Ken. She knew then that she was – at last – home. Where ever Ken was – that was her home.

She was home with the one person she loved most in the world.

She sobbed as he hugged her close and held her tight against him.

And Jennifer Ann Conner lost herself as she sobbed with her release. Realizing that she was finally home. Home with the one person she knew she could and did trust. Always.

The last words she heard before sleep finally claimed her was Ken speaking softly.

"I love you Jennifer Ann. Always have. Always will."

The End

"Home At Last"

"The Conner Family - Ch 09"

***

End Note From The Author:

I am former Military – Disabled Army Veteran (71-74) – due to my exposure to Agent Orange during my time in service over seas in the early 70s. My health is now well compromised by the effects of Agent Orange – so I know all too well the lengthy healing time of my minor injury.

~~ Still Proud I Served! ~~

Rugrat60
Rugrat60
106 Followers
12