The Crusader Ch. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Roxy looked at Jeremiah and seeing him nod, led Jessica to the facilities. Motioning Roxy to follow her into the bathroom, Jessica made sure the room was empty, opening each of the four stalls. She turned on two of the faucets at the sinks. This would defeat any microphones bugging the room; there was nothing she could do about video.

"I'm a friend of your mother's Roxy; my name is Jessica Talbert. She thought from what you said in your letters that you want to come home. Is that right?"

"Oh yes," Roxy answered. "I've tried to leave but Father Jeremiah or one of the elders are always around. They make sure none of the novices are left on their own. Sally, who you met, well her father tried to get in to see her and got beat up at the gate. Jeremiah lets no one into the compound, except for people thinking about joining the church; like you."

Roxy paused and smiled. "I just remembered; Tully, that's the name of the man my Aunt Julie is dating."

Jessica smiled. "Tully and my boyfriend Rollie are helping your mother. If you want to leave, we'll get you out." Roxy nodded and Jessica continued, "I'll call Rollie and let him know I talked to you and that you want to leave. Then we can contact the police and get you out of here."

"Can't I go with you when you leave?" Roxy requested.

"I'll see what I can do, but I don't want to bring to much attention to you. I've heard stories of girls, and boys, like you being sent to other areas when people got too nosey."

Jessica and Roxy rejoined Jeremiah. "I like what I see Father Jeremiah. Let me call Mr. Chambers and tell him what I've found. In my meeting with him this afternoon I can make arrangements for the funds I spoke of to be made available."

"That's wonderful news, Mrs. Tully. Our church is poor and any donations will help us spread the word.

Taking out her cell phone, Jessica dialed Rollie. "Mrs. Tully again Mr. Chambers; I should be in your office in an hour." She paused, listened, and said, "Oh yes, the church is just what I'm looking for. The membership isn't too large, about 30 acolytes, so I won't feel lost in the pack as it were. Yes the compound is quite secure; there are only two entrances to the property and they both have very large iron gates. There are also two guards at each gate to ensure privacy. Isn't that thoughtful of Father Jeremiah? Okay, see you in an hour."

Jessica hung up. Jeremiah had listened unashamedly to the one sided conversation and smiled.

"I'll return tomorrow, if I may, with my things," Jessica told Jeremiah.

"And the donation you spoke of?"

"Don't worry Father Jeremiah; you'll get everything you have coming," Jessica replied with a smile. And she thought, you have no idea what you're going to get.

********************

Rollie and Tully pulled in behind the Cadillac that Jessica was driving; they were in a parking lot previously agreed upon. They knelt by the open driver's window and smiled at her.

"You should have been an actress Jessica," Tully said with a big grin. "Hell, you had me believing you're some kind of crazy widow."

"Did you see my performance?"

"Yes Jess, we saw," Rollie told her. "We had you covered all the way until you drove into the compound. And the gates and guards wouldn't have stopped us if things had gone south. We would have staged a very strong intervention if necessary."

Jessica touched the side of Rollie's face and smiled at Tully. "I know; I wasn't afraid because I knew my two knights were close by. What now? I'm supposed to go back there tomorrow."

"Someone will be going tomorrow, but it won't be you." Tully turned to Rollie and asked, "You talk to Wends?"

"Yep, Frank said he can demand to get into the compound to find Roxie based on Jessica's testimony; said he won't have a problem getting a search warrant. He also said he'll bring out anyone else that wants to leave." Rollie leaned in the window and kissed Jessica. "Slide over Jess, and we'll return the car to Frank and he can take your statement."

"Get in the passenger side Rollie. I like driving this thing. You've got your Corvette and I've got this beauty; at least until we get back to Frank at the Precinct."

"Y'all might just have to buy this one when it comes up in the annual police auction," Tully said. "Glad Julie didn't get to drive it. A poor ole Gunnery Sergeant can't afford a rig like this."

"Tully, you forget we know how well your Missouri Tactical Academy is doing," Jessica teased. "With your pensions and that income you can certainly afford a car like this for Julie." The she and Rollie laughed at the look on Tully's face.

Later at Police Precinct 16, all three of Chamber's and Associates, talked to Detective Frank Wends.

"Like I told you, with a search warrant I can force my way into the compound to find Roxy," Frank told them. "I'm working on the warrant; should have it by 10 tomorrow morning."

"So what's the problem," Rollie asked. "You getting too old to serve a warrant?"

"That'll be the day." Frank smiled at his former partner and friend. "I think we have a leak in the department someplace. When I apply for the warrant, I'm afraid that this Jeremiah character will hear about us coming and take the girl away before we can get there."

"A leak?" Rollie responded. "Are you sure?"

Frank shrugged his shoulders. "There have been instances where certain less than reputable characters have been warned about upcoming search warrants." He shook his head. "I can get a warrant based on what Jessica saw and heard, but I can't get a full task force to serve it."

"Why not?" Tully asked.

"You know its contract time right? Well, seems like the union is playing hard ball this time. There is a rash of blue flu going on and we're down to almost half of our manpower."

"Can you cover the main gate?" Rollie asked.

"Yeah; it'll be me and two uniforms, but that's all the men I can get." Frank looked worried. "That leaves the other gate; someone could sneak out that way."

"Not if Tully and I cover it," Rollie told him. "What time will you apply for the warrant?"

"Judge usually gets in about 9; I'll be at his office waiting for him."

"When will you get your uniforms and head for the compound?"

"Should take about 30 minutes for the paperwork. I'll have the uniforms with me and head out as soon as I get the warrant; be there by 10, like I said."

"Tully and I will sit on the compound starting at 7. We'll each cover a gate and when you and your boys get there we'll cover the opposite gate." Rollie got an almost wild look in his eyes. "That bastard won't take the girl away."

Tully nodded his head and smiled. His smile reminded Frank of a bear that was about to attack its prey.

"I need to go with you or Frank," Jessica said. "Roxy doesn't know any of you; she'll need to see a familiar face."

"Jess," Rollie started.

"I'm a real member of Chamber's and Associate or I'm not. Which is it?" Jessica looked at Rollie with eyes like lasers.

Rollie knew better than to argue with Jessica when she got that look. "Okay Jess, but please be careful. We don't know that Father Jeremiah is the peaceful man he pretends to be." Turning to Tully, he said, "You might want to give Julie and Vicky a heads up on what we're planning."

Tully hit a speed dial number on his cell and said, "Already on it."

********************

"I'm Detective Frank Wends of the St. Louis Police Department. I have a warrant to search the premises for one Roxanne Jessup," Wend said and held up the writ for the young man to see. "Open the gate."

"Father Jeremiah doesn't allow us to let anyone into the compound sir."

"What's your name son?" Frank asked.

"I'm Novice Jubal."

"Well Jubal, this Father Jeremiah doesn't control the police. If you don't open the gate, you'll be charged with obstructing justice, hindering a police officer in doing his duty, and any other charges I can think of." Frank paused and looked compassionately at young Jubal. In a gentle voice he said, "Open the gate son, don't get yourself in trouble."

"Sir, I just can't," the boy replied. "Father Jeremiah says...."

"Enough," Frank butted in. "Can you call Jeremiah from here?" Jubal nodded and Frank continued, "Call him. Tell him we're here and if he doesn't open this gate, I'll call a Swat team and break in. He needs to come to the gate, NOW."

Jubal used the phone in the small shack adjacent to the iron gate. Frank saw the boy talking, listening, and then talking some more. He nodded as if the person on the phone could see him and hung up. Jubal returned to the gate and Detective Wends.

"Father Jeremiah won't let me open the gate." When Frank started to reply, Jubal continued before Frank could say anything. "But he is on his way. He asks that you wait until he gets here." After a moment's pause, Jubal said in almost a pleading voice, "Please wait."

Frank didn't want to punish the young man. He nodded and said, "He's got five minutes; then we're coming in."

Back at the meeting house Jeremiah showed his anger. "Son of a bitch," he almost yelled.

The church members in the large room were shocked. They had never seen Father Jeremiah angry or heard that kind of language from him. He picked up the phone again and made a call to the two men he used as muscle; the same ones that had beaten and ran off Ted Summers.

"Jackson, grab Thomas and get over here," he ordered. When the two men came into the meeting room, Jeremiah motioned them into his office.

"The cops at the gate with a search warrant; they're looking for Roxanne. Grab her and the Summers girl and take them out the south gate. Go to the safe house in Lemay and wait to hear from me." Jeremiah stood and said, "I can stall them for about 15 minutes but not too much longer so get the girls and get the hell out of here."

The two men nodded and went to get the van the church used to transport its members. The van had very darkly tinted windows and would hide the occupants from curious people on the outside. Jackson got out of the van at the dormitory house and walked inside.

"Sister Roxanne and Novice Sally, please come downstairs," he yelled up to the second floor. "Father Jeremiah has a special chore for you."

Roxy and Sally came down the stairs and followed Jackson to the van. He put them in back, got into the front passenger seat and Thomas drove off. Roxy secretly tried to open the door and found that it was locked. Jackson had flipped the child safety latch so it couldn't be opened by a passenger.

Jeremiah arrived at the gate to confront Detective Wends. "What do you want Detective?"

"Jeremiah Foster Sullivan?" Jeremiah nodded. "You already know I have a warrant to search the premises for one Roxanne Jessup." He watched the wheels turning in Jeremiah's head. "I also have a warrant to look for stolen property." Frank held up a second document. "There have been several complaints from your church's customers. Open the gate."

"I refuse to let you in on just a suspicion. My attorney will be here shortly and you can take it up with him."

"We have an eyewitness who testified that you are preventing Miss Jessup from leaving."

"Witness? What witness?"

Before Frank could say that it didn't matter who, Jessica stepped out of Frank's car.

Mrs. Tully," Jeremiah said with surprise in his voice. "What are you doing here? Don't worry, this amounts to nothing?"

"My name isn't Tully, I'm Dr. Jessica Talbert and I'm the witness. Roxy told me that she wants to leave."

"And that ring you're wearing looks suspiciously like one reported stolen from the Alexander's home," Frank said. "I suggest you open the gate."

Jessica turned her head to look at Frank so that Jeremiah couldn't see her. Ring? She mouthed. Frank smiled and shrugged his shoulders.

Jeremiah argued some more but his face showed he was defeated and his shoulders slumped. Finally he motioned for Jubal to open the gate.

As Jessica and Frank faced Jeremiah, Jackson and Thomas drove the van through the second gate. A large pickup truck blocked their way as soon as they cleared the opening. Jackson jumped out and walked toward the truck. Rollie got out of the driver's side and Tully climbed out the other door.

"Hello Jackson," Tully said. "Who do you have in the van?"

"Tully? I thought you bought the farm in the sandbox," Jackson replied.

"Just a small piece of it. Still enough of me to stop you." Tully took a step forward. "Let the girl go Jackson," he ordered.

"You know this punk?" Rollie asked.

"Yeah," Tully answered. "Jackson and his partner Thomas were given Other Than Honorable discharges and spent a couple of years in prison." Tully shook his head. "They were selling military equipment to some of the guys we were fighting in Iraq. That equipment helped get some of our guys killed." He turned back to Jackson, "You two were garbage then and you're garbage now. Been up to me, you would have never gotten to a General Court Marshal."

As they talked Thomas came of the other side of the van and started forward. He reached for the small of his back and started to pull a gun.

"I wouldn't," Rollie said as he pulled his Glock 21C and trained it on Thomas. "Then again, I hope you try."

Tully had pulled his gun, a duplicate to Rollie's, at the same time. "Stand down Jackson."

"That's the only way you can stop me old man," Jackson taunted pointing at Tully's gun.

Tully said quietly, "Rollie," and tossed his weapon to his friend. He took three steps toward Jackson, held up his hand and motioned for Jackson to come on.

Jackson took two steps forward and aimed a roundhouse kick at Tully's head. Tully caught the leg at the ankle, held on and dropped across Jackson's knee; hammering it with his other elbow. Jackson screamed in pain and rolled away from Tully. When he stood he was favoring his right leg; almost stumbling. He tried a sweeping kick with his left leg and again screamed; his shin had contacted Tully's Titanium prosthesis.

Tully's not the only one with a limp now, Rollie thought with a grin. Thomas moved a step or two toward the two assailants and Rollie hit him across the nose with his pistol. Blood spurted from Thomas and he put his hands up to his now broken nose. "That's a No, No," Rollie ordered. "Why don't you use two fingers to toss your gun over here and take it easy? We've got a ringside seat." Thomas threw his weapon toward Rollie's feet and sat down. "Good boy," Rollie said.

The rest of the fight between Jackson and Tully was anti climatic. Rollie had seen Tully spar in the gym and a couple of times saw him in real action, but he'd never seen this side of his friend. Gone was the big, gentle, joking man. In his place was a trained, motivated killing machine. Jackson was quickly put on his back with Tully holding his head back by the hair.

Tully quickly pulled his right hand back to deliver another punch but this time his fingers were folded down at the second joint with the heel of his hand cocked forward. The blow would have driven the bridge of Jackson's nose back up into his brain; it was a killing stroke.

"Tully? Do you really want to kill him?" Rollie asked. "Julie wouldn't like it, you know."

The big Gunnery Sergeant stopped, coming out of his fighting rage. He shook himself, dropped Jackson's head and stood. Tully turned to Rollie with a sheepish grin.

"Thanks Rollie. This scum and that one too," he said pointing to Thomas, "deserve to die. They killed a lot of good men with their actions over there."

Tully walked over to the van and opened the back door. Roxy jumped into his arms and Sally followed her out of the vehicle. "Call Frank and tell him we have the girls," Tully said.

"Tell him yourself," Rollie answered. "He's standing right behind you."

Tully looked toward the gate and saw Frank leaning against one of the stone uprights.

"I guess I shouldn't but I sort of wish Rollie had let you go," Frank said. "Guess that makes me a bad cop. Oh well, I have broad shoulders. I can carry the weight."

"Is that how diplomacy works," Tully asked pointing to Thomas holding his bloody nose. "I'm glad you showed me how to be diplomatic Rollie."

"I suggest we get Roxy back to her mother and call Ted Summers to come and get his little girl too," Rollie said as Frank handcuffed Jackson and Thomas.

********************

Frank Wends looked around Rigazzi's as he and his wife, Jenna, entered the restaurant. Spotting the party he was looking for, he led Jenna to a large circular table in the reserved VIP section. Sitting at the table were Rollie, Jessica, Tully, Julie, Vicky and Roxy. Also at the table were Ted Summers, his wife and their daughter Sally.

"Hey everybody," Frank said. Rollie pointed to the last two empty chairs. "Got some news about our friend Jeremiah," Frank said as he and Jenna sat down. Stalling he fussed around pouring two glasses of wine.

"Don't be a jerk Frank," Tully said. "Tell us what happened to our 'friend' Jeremiah."

"Well...we found several items that were reported stolen from some of the churches clients when we searched the compound. We confronted the church members that had worked at the houses and they rolled over on Jeremiah. With Roxy and Sally's help," he raised his glass in a salute, "we've also got him on kidnapping charges. Got that Brother Samuel and a couple of other elders on the same charges. Seems the Feds have a really dim view of a so called church keeping people against their will. Jackson and Thomas are also being charged with kidnapping and with a second count because they tried to sneak the girls out of the compound."

"Doesn't seem harsh enough for Jackson, Thomas, and especially Jeremiah," Jessica said.

"Don't you believe it," Frank replied. "Prisoners in maximum security for some reason really dislike men who kidnap and abuse young girls."

"But they didn't abuse Roxy or Sally," Jessica said. She looked at the two young women for confirmation.

Frank gave Jessica an evil grin. "According to the rumors that got out to the prison system they did. Their lives are going to be hell; at least for as long as they last."

"Enough, we're here to celebrate the return home of two very special young ladies," Rollie said and raised his glass. "Welcome home Roxy and Sally."

"Welcome home," everyone echoed.

********************

Jessica came home on Tuesday and as usual undressed and headed for the shower. She was a clinical psychiatrist at Washington University; on Tuesdays and Thursdays she made medical rounds at the University Medical Center.

So Jessica always took a shower when she got home on those days. She realized that it was probably psychosomatic but she felt that she smelled like a hospital. As she dressed in jeans and a tank top Rollie called to her.

"Hey Jess, can you come out to the garage? Oh, and bring me a beer please."

Rollie doesn't usually ask me to wait on him, Jessica thought. Oh well, I need to kiss him hello anyway. She grabbed two beers as she passed through the kitchen on the way to the large garage at the back of the property.

"Where are you Rollie?" She asked as she entered the dark building.

The garage had once been the carriage house for the very large home that Rollie owned. It was made of gray stone and matched the outside of the house. Inside were four areas that Rollie called bays. Each was separated from the others by a floor to ceiling, plank walls with six inch spacing between the planks.

"Over here in the third bay."

Jessica walked through the doorway into the third section of the garage, which was brightly lit. Rollie was smiling and leaning up against the front fender of a beautiful, expensive car. It was the Cadillac CTS-V coupe that Jessica had driven when she was undercover as Mrs. Tully.