The Empty Nest Pt. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
CharlieB4
CharlieB4
1,236 Followers

"Oh shiiiit!"

Then we were still, the only sound our laboured breathing and the occasional sniffle from Charlie. I think she was crying but I didn't know why, we both clung to each other, her head resting on my shoulder against my neck. My dick began to soften so eased it back and released Charlie so she could stand on her own again.

I stepped back further to allow her to arrange her clothes. "Sorry, I got carried away." I said softly.

Charlie looked up. Her eyes were red and still rimmed with tears.

"I think we both did," she replied, wiping the tears off her face with her hand.

I wanted to hold her, to tell her it was alright but I stayed planted where I was. Charlie made one last inspection to make sure her clothes were back in place then she opened the door and left without another word. I was left leaning against the wall my wet dick still hanging out through the fly of my pants.

Elated, confused, worried and sad. I ran through a lot of emotions over the next two days. I tried to ring Charlie but it always went to voice mail. On the weekend I drove by her house but her car was gone and it appeared locked up. I moped around the garden on Sunday mowing and weeding, feeling generally miserable.

At work on Monday, an e-mail came through from Brian asking me to call when I had a chance. I wasn't that busy, so I rang straight away.

"What's happened?" I asked after the usual pleasantries were exchanged.

"You have a preliminary hearing before the full bench of the Family court in three weeks! I don't know how or who these guys have on their side but they must have some serious clout. These things are usually clogged up for months!"

"I doesn't matter," I replied cheerfully, "I want to get it over with. What's a preliminary hearing?"

"As it's an appeal so the judges have to decide if the grounds on which the appeal is based are valid before they will set aside time to hear all the arguments." Brian explained.

"What are the grounds?"

"Pretty much what Rachel's barrister said at the end of the other hearing. That the judge erred in applying the law of financial separation prematurely and that she was biased against their client."

"What does the full bench mean?"

"Simply that there are three judges with one of them being either the chief judge or the deputy."

"So what do we do?"

"Nothing, we just turn up and watch really. They have made the appeal so they have to make the case. If it gets through then we move onto the work as the next hearing will have witnesses and experts and all the full on stuff. I can help organize it but I will suggest you get a barrister to run it on the day."

"Damn, why won't she just take the money I've offered and run?" I half shouted down the line, my exasperation was showing.

"Greed," Brian replied in a more measured way. "Pure greed, and probably not just on Rachel's part. Waters, Anderson, Nelson and Kerr know how many zeroes are going to be in the eventual settlement and they want a big slice."

"Wankers!" I said with feeling.

"Keep your shirt on, Jeffrey! We are still in the box seat."

"Alright, sorry, I just don't understand why it has to become a war."

"Comes with the territory in family law I'm afraid."

"Fucking lawyers!" I said half joking.

"That seems like an appropriate time to end this conversation. Talk to you later Jeff."

I sat back in my chair and contemplated all that was happening. I didn't like it, I'm not a control freak but I like to be able to plan ahead, to know where I'm heading. The finalization of my marriage seemed further away than ever. Financially I still had an ace in the hole with the money my sister had but the rest of it seemed to be up for grabs. Then there was my personal life, what a screw up. Going home to an empty house, staying in and becoming increasingly isolated. Charlie, Charlie, Charlie, gorgeous, vivacious, funny, and seemingly carrying as much baggage, possibly even more than me.

Maybe I should have just retired, travelled around with Rachel, better the devil you know. Jacques wouldn't have got a look in if I hadn't come home to work, everything could have been different. I could have controlled Rachel's spending... I gave myself an uppercut, wake up Jeff! Things were going sour before then. Time to man up and move on! All this stuff was in the past and couldn't be changed. It was the future I should be concerned with.

"Right!" I said out aloud to myself, "What done is done, it's time to start the rest of my life!"

I grabbed a note pad out of the drawer and wrote numbers down one side of the page. Up at the top I wrote 'Priorities.'

Number One: Charlie!!

I liked her, hell it might even be stronger than that! I was soon to be divorced so I wasn't going to die wondering.

Number Two: Get out of the family home!

Sell it, rent it maybe even burn the fucker down. Too many memories, too much work! I'll try to find somewhere smaller, more modern, and easier to keep clean.

Number Three: Get out and do the stuff I want to do!

Yes I like work but really I only used that as an excuse to be away from Rachel. I had a good team here that could run the place with their eyes closed. Time to have some fun; barramundi fishing in the Kimberly, snow skiing in Canada, scuba diving on the Great Barrier Reef. So many possibilities, of course if number one priority worked out then I may have to clip my wings a little.

That was enough to get working on for a start so I left the list at three. I got back to work stopping occasionally to think and dream and for the first time in a while, smile. At the end of the day I hurried out to catch the nursery before it closed. Our town was too small to have a florist but there was a good nursery that grew plants on a large scale to wholesale to other nurseries. It ran a small retail store out of the owners' house for cash. I got there and bought a red rose in a pot that still had some blooms on it. I drove to Charlie's house again but she wasn't there. Trying the phone again I was expecting the voice mail but at least this time it rang. She answered on the seventh ring, after exchanging greetings I suddenly realized I didn't know what I wanted to say!

"Um...about the other day...um...I just wanted to say...um..." luckily she broke in and saved my miserable attempt at conversation.

"Can we talk later? I'm just in the middle of something." Charlie said in a hushed voice.

"Yes, sure...um...we are still...you know...friends? Aren't we?" I asked in a pleading voice that must have sounded desperate.

"Yes, we just have to get a few things straight. I'll try and come around later on this afternoon, okay?" She was very measured, choosing her words carefully.

"Yes, great, I'll be here...um...waiting. Err...not like last time! I'll be on my best behavior!" I spluttered, you would think that English was my second language.

There were the beginnings of a giggle but she suppressed it, "Goodbye, Jeffrey!"

Scooting home I showered, changed, looked in the mirror, and changed again. After tidying up I put a bottle of wine on ice and then sat down to wait. I flicked through the local paper that had been on the front lawn, read a few e mails on my iPad. An hour and a half later I had given up and was microwaving a frozen dinner when the doorbell rang.

I almost broke into a run but managed to limit myself to a fast walk. It was Charlie and she was holding a white rectangular box. Opening the door she gave me a hesitant smile, I stepped back and allowed her to come in. We walked to the kitchen and she placed the box on the table. She opened it and turned it towards me, it was a cake.

"It's peace offering, I'm sorry I haven't returned your calls." Charlie said looking down nervously after she spoke.

I pointed to the rose on the dining room table. "That's my peace offering, and I'm sorry for attacking you the other day."

We were standing on either side of the kitchen bench. I guess it was acting as a sort of neutral zone. Charlie glanced at the rose then back at me.

"I don't think you were the only one attacking." There was the hint of a smile.

"Can I get you a drink? Wine? Coffee? Water?" I asked trying to be a good host.

"A wine would be nice."

I poured two glasses and took them to the lounge, where Charlie had gone to sit. Giving her one glass I was unsure where to sit. My instinct was to sit in one of the armchairs facing her but I fought my better judgment and sat down beside her.

"I have something to..."

"I want to..." We both started to speak then stopped, I held up my hand.

"Can I go first?" I inquired, knowing I had to get my bit out first so I didn't chicken out.

Charlie nodded.

"I just want to say that I have been doing a lot of thinking in the last few days. I like you a lot, more than a lot! I've looked for excuses, my messy divorce, you being a recent widow with a teenage son and the age difference but I decided they don't matter. I don't want to let the chance that we could spend the rest of our days together slip past because of 'what ifs'."

Charlie put her hand on mine, she was smiling and I could feel tears welling in my eyes.

"There is just one more thing, you are a beautiful woman and you deserve more than an old boring accountant but I want you to give "us" a chance because I think we can be great together!"

The tears hadn't come but I still felt like crying, I think that's the most I have said about feelings to another human being in my lifetime.

"Are you finished?" Charlie asked and I nodded.

She reached over and placed her hand on my cheek to comfort me.

"I haven't had any feelings for any male since John passed away. The thought of being with someone else seemed like the ultimate betrayal to me and worse to my son. Last week a lot of things I had been trying to quash came to the surface. It scared me. It really scared the shit out of me! I had to get away to get my head together so I took David and we got a cabin at a caravan park on the coast. He was so pissed off!"

A rueful smile played across her lips as she was remembering.

"He had some sporting event that he wanted to go to. That's when I realized that David had more of a life than I did! I just work, cook and clean for him, drive him where ever he wants to go, but what about me. That day you took me to the races? That was the first time I had done something for myself since John's death. Did you know his clothes were still in the wardrobe in our room?"

I shook my head, she was becoming upset now. I wanted to hold her but I think she needed to get this off her chest.

"So that's what I was doing today, I took another day off work and went through his clothes sorting them into David's pile, charity shop pile, and rubbish pile. It was hard but I found something, a letter he must have written before he went into hospital the last time."

She pulled a crumpled note out of her pocket. Tears dripped off her cheeks as she held it out to me I took it and opened it up.

My dearest C

I placed this in my wardrobe so you would find it when it came time for you to move on with your life. I didn't want to give it to you because you might think I had given up. You have kept me going for two years longer than the doctors first thought but I'm a realist and I think my time is close. I wrote this note to tell you how much I love you, I haven't always shown it and being a man I'm fucking hopeless at saying it. I was so lucky to have been able to spend the last ten years with you.

When I am gone don't mourn me too long. You are such a special person you deserve happiness and joy after the hardship of the last three years. Somewhere out there someone will make you smile and laugh again like we used to. David will need a man around at some stage. I know you are a great mum and could do it on your own, but don't be afraid to try again.

Now that I am gone please know that I was happy in the end. I would have loved to grow old with you but it was not to be. I am just glad that I got to spend so much time with such a beautiful person.

Love

John.

I was crying now, Charlie was still crying, we held each other and sobbed. She pulled away first, sitting up and composing herself.

"Sorry, I still haven't got out what I wanted to say. On the weekend I decided that I wanted to have a life of my own. Coming home I saw the house for what it was, a shrine to John. That's why I started packing up his clothes and when I read that note something struck me in his words."

She took the note from my hands and opened it again.

"Somewhere out there someone will make you smile and laugh again," she looked back up at me. "You have made me smile and laugh again, even when I was broke and scrubbing your bathroom before school went back. I looked forward to you coming home and sitting down to eat together. So I guess what I'm saying is I want to give us a go too!"

We embraced and held each other for a long time. I kissed her hair and whispered.

"You know we are both on the rebound, a lot of relationships don't last long based on that."

"Stop over thinking things! You are sounding like an old boring accountant!" She giggled.

"Hey! I'm the only one allowed to call me old!" I chastised her for laughing.

"All right I'll call you experienced then."

We kissed then, not a wild passionate kiss but a deliberate peck on the lips. Charlie looked at her watch.

"Shit! I've got to go. David's rugby training will be finished." She stood to go but I held onto her hand.

"Are you free Friday night?"

"No, you're taking me somewhere fantastic for dinner!" I grinned, she got me there.

"Have you told David about this yet?"

"We had a discussion on the way home from the coast. I told him I would always love his dad but he was gone now and I was ready to try for another relationship."

"What did he say?" I asked with more than a passing interest.

"What all teenagers say, he shrugged and said whatever. He did ask if I had someone in mind."

"And?"

"I told him to mind his own business!" I let go of her hand, she lent down and kissed me on the forehead. "See you Friday!"

With a wave she was gone leaving me elated but alone. I went to the microwave and decided the frozen dinner was past saving so I threw it out and got another. The next day I got a table at a nice place for Friday night. I was on cloud nine, whistling and smiling. My employees were giving me funny looks. It got too much for my secretary.

"What the hell has got into you?" Julie asked as she bought me a coffee.

"What do you mean?" I replied innocently.

"The whistling, the laughing, the general good mood. Not to say you have been miserable but it's the happiest you have been in ten years!" She studied me over her glasses.

Julie had worked for me for twenty years. She was part of the furniture in my office. I sat back and smiled.

"That's what I'm talking about!" She exclaimed, "You're not going to do something silly are you? I've heard that people get really happy before...you know...they go postal...or hurt themselves."

Her voice trailed off as if she thought she had said too much. I continued smiling.

"Don't worry Julie, I'm fine, in fact I'm fantastic! I'm moving on! That's all."

"Has she accepted your settlement offer?" Julie was always up with the gossip and liked to be first to know.

"No, that still has to play out but I'm not going to worry about it anymore. What happens, happens, I just want to live life while I still can."

"Are you sure?" Julie inquired suspiciously.

"Yes, I'm sure. Now get back to work before I get cranky again!" I laughed.

She gave me a funny look then left shaking her head.

After work I walked back home with a spring in my step certain that all was good with the world. Turning into my driveway I saw a dark cloud sitting on my front step. David, in his school uniform with his bag beside him. He stood as I approached, stopping a little distance away I was uncertain of what to say or do. He appeared to be equally unsure, I broke the silence.

"Hello David," it wasn't much but it was something.

"Hi," he replied with all the eloquence of a teenager.

"Can I help you?"

"Umm maybe..." He muttered and I remained silent so after a pause he continued. "Are you seeing my mum?" I guess it was a question but he phrased it more like a statement.

"Yes, I certainly hope to be seeing your mum quite a lot in the future."

"Yeah...I...I...was wondering if you still needed a hand around the garden?"

That was a relief. "Yes! That would be great!" I gushed.

"I still want to get paid!" David added, bristling at my enthusiasm.

"Of course," I couldn't help but grin, my good luck was holding.

"I can start tomorrow if you like, two afternoons a week still alright?"

"Three might be better, I'm thinking about getting it all ship shape then selling it." I said moving towards the front door.

"Selling it?" He seemed disappointed, "why would you want to sell it?" He turned around to look at the house.

I was beside him and looked over my home. "It holds a lot of ghosts David, it's big and old and hard to maintain."

"Not all ghosts are bad," he muttered with feeling.

"I know, but sometimes they hold you back. Stop you from moving forward."

I heard a sniff beside me and it suddenly dawned on me we were talking about different ghosts. Looking down at David I could see his eyes rimmed red, I put my arm around his shoulders.

"Sorry David I was talking about my own ghosts not your dad. He will always be with you because he is in here." I tapped his head, "and here," I tapped his chest. "No one can replace him and I would never seek to try. I really like your mum and I would like to be closer to both of you."

David moved away from me wiped his eyes on his sleeve and grabbed his bag off the ground.

"I'll start tomorrow afternoon," he mumbled as he headed off down the driveway.

"Do you want a lift home?" I half shouted at the retreating figure but he didn't reply. He merely raised his hand to wave away the offer.

I got inside and as if on cue my phone jangled, it was Charlie.

"Have you seen David, he didn't come home and when I rang his friend he said he caught the bus that went near your place." She sounded worried.

"Yes he was here and he just left."

"Oh...how did that go?" She still sounded worried.

"Not too bad, he wanted his job as my gardener back." I replied trying to reassure her.

"Really? Is that all?"

"Yes...why?"

"We had one hell of an argument this morning. I gave him the clothes of John's I kept for him and he realized that I had cleaned out his dad's wardrobe. I had also taken some photos down and put them away in an album. He was very upset, he...he called me...a two faced slut!" I could see why she was so worried.

"You go home, I'll try and catch up with him and drive him to you."

I went back outside jumped in my car a drove away in the direction David had walked off. Catching up with him I pulled over and he came over to the passenger side window.

"I'm fine to walk," he said simply turning to continue on his way.

"Jump in David, your mums upset and I said I'd drop you home." I insisted.

He hesitated then shrugged his shoulders, came back opened the door and climbed in.

"I would have been fine, I walk everywhere!" He complained.

"I know but your mums upset about the fi...um, discussion you had this morning."

"Does she tell you everything?"

"She's worried about you! Why did you come over to get your job back when you gave your mother such a hard time this morning?"

"I wasn't planning on asking for my job back! I was going to..." He didn't finish that sentence, it was lucky I was home when he arrived.

"You're not taking sides are you?" David's hackles were rising.

CharlieB4
CharlieB4
1,236 Followers