All Comments on 'The Gambler'

by CharlieB4

Sort by:
  • 21 Comments
LordSlamdawggLordSlamdawggabout 8 years ago
Story was flimsy but sex was hot

50 grand for three days ? That's pretty pricey but oh well. I thought from a story standpoint that Jeremy's character needed more development. He had to have some flash charm to get a fundamentally decent woman to sell her virtue. The boss was a bit over the top as well. I was hoping that he was going to develop serious feelings for Kate because that would have explained his spree .

One nuance that I appreciated was Kate handing the designer dress to the concierge when mistaken for a long term escort. That was my favorite non carnal scene that gives the key to her character . She can be a bad girl with the best/worst of them but at heart she's not a player and doesn't want to be. A lot of good women in Europe in WW2 sold themselves to keep food on table, then in peacetime flicked the switch back when sane economic times returned.

Overall I doubt Charlie84 sees this as Tolstoy redux. There was an object lesson on the pitfalls of wagering, but a whole lot more effort was put into chronicling the spilledb body fluids. I was entertained albeit with some 'backseat author' qualms and hope Charlie84 had fun writing it. I thank him for sharing.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
Not enough!

She should have broken both his knees with a bat before she left!

TwentysevenTwentysevenabout 8 years ago
Gambling is the Issue

No gambling, no problem.

WeBothDoWeBothDoabout 8 years ago
Whoa - a story by an Aussie ...

... that opens with a mention of "U.S. footy" !? That alone makes it exceptional.

Don't have the time to read it right now - it's pretty long - but we'll get back to it.

canopuswestcanopuswestabout 8 years ago
Idiots... Idiots all around...

The husband wasn't even a man. So it is pointless talking about him. Better to think of him as a mentally incompetent entity and forget him.

The wife was enjoyed the sex, so I won't necessarily say that she was damaged psychically by it. Sure her self-respect took a huge hit. But that was her choice.

She showed her lack of intelligence by not leaving the dude immediately and not running away.

The guy should have chosen to at least die with some pride, rather than letting anything happen to his family.

Addicts are sub-humans. We shouldn't pity them but scorn them..

No one forces them to do these things.. Anyone who picks these things by themselves should be removed from society.

You can't really hate Bob, he didn't force anyone to gamble or force them to send their wives. They could have just as easily chosen to stand for themselves and die.

gatorhermitgatorhermitabout 8 years ago
Sad portrayal of an addict

Stupid is as stupid does. This is one sad story. She's gone...

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
Dreadful

Just nothing entertaining about this.

CharlieB4CharlieB4about 8 years agoAuthor
Re- Webothdo.

I didn't set this story in any particular place but just FYI, the Denver Broncos are not the only Broncos in the world. In Australia's NRL competition there is the Brisbane Broncos. Also in the English Super League there was, I think they may have folded, the London Broncos.

lance_spearmanlance_spearmanabout 8 years ago
I enjoyed this story

though I felt it was a bit long-winded. 4 pages would have been better.

impo_61impo_61about 8 years ago
I agree with @gatorhermit...

I agree with @gatorhermit...This is a sad portrayal of an addict...well written...4*

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
He won't recover from his bad bets.

She will recover from hers. A horrible story well told. Glad its over.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
3*s

Good story. I don't know about others but for me this story was 2 pages long. The first page and the last page, done. No likable characters. The usual addicts story. I didn't want to go around and around with Jeremy. Thank goodness Kate is fictional character, I skipped 4 pages of suffering. Glad she finally is getting away. Gave you 3*s from habit, lol.

AMerryman

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
Story Length

It was about six pages too long *

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
CORRECT MEA CULPA 4*S

Did CharlieB4 a disservice.

After reading the whole story, completely this time.....Gave it 4*s!!

You know how to develop characters well.

I failed as a reader. Skimming when reading a story doesn't work.

AMerryman

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
One little thing at the ending...

Missing the pony-tailed gum chewing process server getting out of her car when the taxi drove away....

Demosthenes384bcDemosthenes384bcabout 3 years ago

Wow - what a ride! Some parts not believable but well written story. 4*

ErotFanErotFanalmost 3 years ago

Though well well written, I am not a fan of abuse and humiliation stories. So I didn't score it.

She should have left after the second time. Then she'd still have her self respect.

Hiker66BikerHiker66Bikerover 2 years ago

I liked the story, and the the gambling debt is a great MacGuffin on which to justify the cuckoldry. However, (for me) the plot weakness is why didn’t the wife dump her husband when she found the $50K gambling debt? Why did she subject herself to 3 nights of sexual humiliation? This story is very similar to the ‘Corporate Bodies’ series by JennyGently where the husband steals £1.2m from his employer unbeknownst to his trophy wife. When his boss confronts them both and offers them the choice of the police or sex with the wife every week until the debt is repaid, the wife knows that she and her children will lose their McMansion, and the children will not be able to continue attending private school. She then reluctantly agrees to weekly sex with her husband’s boss in order to maintain their lifestyle. In ‘The Gambler’, the wife is under no such pressure and should have abandoned her wastrel husband to his fate. Other than that it was a good read, although I am not too keen on buggery (what is wrong with the front door?). 5 stars.

26thNC26thNCover 2 years ago

Don't know if she was gambling, but she is definitely a whore.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Damn. I wish I had a wife like Kate.

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

Gambling addiction can certainly destroy marriages. Not sure why the wife went through all the abuse and humiliation. In the end she wised up. Jeremy wad not worth it.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userCharlieB4@CharlieB4
Just an amateur scribbler who allows others to experience his daydreams. G’day If you are going through my catalogue you will find a wide range of themes so some you might like, others you will hate. Update. After a flurry of recent activity life has intervened so writing t...