The Ghost of Benanee

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Now we wait for rain.

===

28 May

Please rain.

===

4 June

I have finished my house! Well, it's just one big room so far but I did it. Harry is chuffed that I pulled it off, and he could concentrate on the manly job of rolling and burning that damned scrub. I don't care. That bloody canvas horror can be burnt with it. I don't want to see another tent ever again.

I think I'll make some tea and sit at my new table. Next, I'll try to make scones that don't resemble cricket balls.

===

13 July

Rain you fooker.

===

5 August 1929

Finally, some rain. About 30 points, which has improved Harry's being. It's only light, but we are all hopeful that there will be more soon.

===

19 September 1929

The BPA has received word that the pumping station will soon fill the channels and our tanks. It should have been in operation earlier. Carting water twenty miles because the station tank is dry is not what we should be doing.

===

22 Sept

Harry has gone downhill again. He sits in the middle of the paddock poking the dirt with a stick. The neighbours say a break should come soon. I hope so.

===

15 October 1929

A few clouds, a few drops. As a little girl I believed in God, and devoutly prayed to him every Sunday. Then the priest told me my thoughts were impure, and then I started work. I thought the misery wrought by diseases and maimings from factories and automobiles was bad but why would a loving God inflict the horrors I saw in the Great War upon his children? And why treat us like this, here? This is supposed to be a garden of Eden.

If there is a God, he's a spiteful bastard.

===

20 Oct

That grumpy Lord be praised, some work happening at Mylatchie station. A large dray turned up with the worker's camp gear, and they won't be far behind. The rails have just about reached Koorakee, so if we get a crop, we won't have to cart it all the way to Robinvale. Our poor old lorry is taking a beating on these tracks.

===

30 Oct

Last night was bad. Harry was curled up into me, blubbering like a child. A dry thunderstorm rolled through, sounding off like a barrage of heavies. I fear the worry of his first crop failing and the pressure of needing to meet the lease expectations has aggravated his shell shock. Sorry, 'Psycho-neurosis', using the new term. I guess that is a better description for what happened to most sufferers. From what I saw, shelling wasn't always a factor. Being surrounded constantly by death and destruction was.

I wish I was holding you.

===

November 11

The anniversary of the supposed end of the Great War to end all wars. I fervently hope that's true, but I doubt that. Men will be men.

We were invited to the memorial service, and I surprisingly received my own invitation. Word has got out that not only was I an Army nurse who saw duty at 3AGH in Lemnos, I was assigned to 2ACCS at Trois Arbres and most likely treated a few of the ex-soldiers here. I could not say for certain though. There were so many passing through the clearing station, caked with the mud, blood and general filth that had accumulated over the years at the bottom of the trenches.

We politely declined to attend. Our paddock looks like the Egyptian desert, except redder.

===

2 Dec

Such melancholy thoughts, Annie. Harry has gone to Melbourne to talk to the bank about extending our, well his loan. As a returned soldier, they will consider his request, but my service doesn't count. Apparently being a woman and 7000 yards from the trenches is too far to be considered frontline service, even though we were bombed, shelled, and suffered from the haze of mustard gas if ever the wind blew from the east.

So I'm alone with my memories. I can faintly hear the workers at the station, laughing and carrying on. The foreman, John, has asked if I could attend to any injured worker, if required. I like him. He's a blunt, pragmatic man who wants his men treated as soon as possible instead of waiting for a doctor to arrive from Euston. He is only interested in my medical skills, not the sex to which it's attached, which is refreshing. For my troubles, he gives me 1 lb of flour and a pat of butter a week from the camp's store in lieu of money he can't part with. He has also given me a nice tin of chocolates and a bottle of whisky for Harry just to make sure his intentions are not misinterpreted. That's fine. I like chocolate, and the tin will hold this diary. The men are very respectful, and like my scones, which I must admit, are edible now.

Do you remember the Shropshire, where we first met? I still dream of that voyage. You were only 23 and lied about your age and years of service to be accepted. I, on the other hand, met the Army's criteria in full. Over 25, yes - I was 28. Qualified as a nurse and had 3 years experience? Yes, and closer to 10. And unmarried? Of course. At that time, I did not wish to be attached to a man. As time moved on, I realised that people's perception of me wove around my marital status. I had many offers of marriage from my patients, as I know you did, you cute little ball of fun, but eventually I decided that there was no choice. I did not want to become a Matron in Charge, and I did not want to be a nurse looking after a herd of squalling babies. I met Harry at Macleod, a TB sanatorium outside of Melbourne. He had perceived my inclinations and confided that he had similar leanings. Obviously in the opposite direction. The only thing we had in common was a dislike of Collingwood. We giggled like a pair of schoolgirls after the ceremony. It was so hypocritical. "Love, honour, and obey?" We agreed that wasn't us.

I couldn't help but notice you, as you came on board. You struggled with your bags, then your hat blew off letting your curly red locks loose. I was overjoyed when I found we were to share a cabin, and when you gave me those furtive glances you didn't think I noticed while I was undressing for bed? There's a reason the truly unmarried nurses are unmarried.

8pm

One of the workers knocked on my door and asked if I could help at the camp. A drunk fell into the fire and severely burnt his arm and face. John is livid. He asked if he could borrow our lorry to drive the idiot to Euston, as his burns are more than what I can adequately treat. I agreed but insisted that I would drive. It's my vehicle. He was happy with that, so we made a bed for the patient in the back and drove off down the railway. Thank God there are no sleepers yet. I could drive at 30mph all the way in the dark. John has promised 10 gallons of petrol for my trouble. I was happy for the excitement.

===

3 Dec

John came by to thank me again and make good his promise. The doctor was impressed by my work and believes the patient will make a full recovery with minimal scarring. I hope so.

The HMAT Shropshire. I knew our time there was the calm before the storm. I had worked in emergency wards, treating patients who had suffered terrible automobile or factory accidents, but you had only worked with ill patients. You were a wonderful student, soaking in everything I could think of that you would need to know before the first casualty arrived.

And then you kissed me. It was only to say thank you, but didn't that change quickly? The door was locked, the blinds drawn, and you were sucking on my bubbies. That was so wonderful. Suddenly the missing piece of my soul turned up, and I felt complete for the first time. We were both oh so inexperienced, but wasn't it wonderful exploring our joy? Just holding you in my arms, lightly stroking your hair filled me with a bliss I had never felt before. Every day we were together on that transport is something I will always treasure.

My Little Red.

===

Daryl looked up from the diary. "My Little Red. I know why Clara likes you."

Vicky giggled nervously. "Yeah, she's been stroking my hair for the last ten minutes. I'm trying to stay chilled, but it's freaky, Daz."

"She's found a new friend after ninety years. I think you can cut her some slack." Daz jumped when she felt a light kiss on her cheek. "Holy shit, that is weird!"

"Told you."

===

10 Dec

Lemnos. What a disaster. Bodies piling in from Gallipoli and nothing at the hospital site to protect our patients from the elements. The Ascot hadn't arrived with our stores, and we had to scrounge whatever we could to try and treat the wounded. You vomited at the sight, but stoically pressed on. What choice did we have? The weather was awful, the conditions miserable. Some other nurses who had initially been stationed in Egypt complained that they expected better conditions than that, but Matron shot back that their duty was to the wounded, not wondering which palace their next afternoon tea would be at.

At least we still shared a cabin on the Simla, where we could just be comfortable with ourselves and hide away from the misery outside for a few hours. I miss that terribly.

===

"Sounds like hell," Daz said, sniffing up a few tears. "I knew it was bad, but it always seemed so... abstract? Just a piece of history to read and discuss in class."

Vicky wiped tears away and nodded. "Yeah. Yeah... This is just so much more personal, with Clara here." She took a deep breath and exhaled. "Well, I finally need to pee. How about we then think about an early dinner? I'd like to read a bit more before it gets dark."

"Sure, don't have a problem with that."

===

6 Feb 1930

Glorious rain. 60 points.

===

19 April 1930

The first goods train arrived at Koorakee last Thursday. Things are looking promising.

===

20 June 1930

The gov. not only wants us to pay for water, they are now expecting us to maintain their channels! How are we to do that? Do they think we are just sitting around waiting for something to do? Idiots, just polishing their backsides on their leather chairs in their Sydney offices. Yes, this venture is costing money. I heard the railway bridge alone cost around £1,300,000, but if they want us to be successful then they need to let us do our own work, not someone else's.

===

18 July 1930

Someone has seen sense. The commission will maintain the channels. Also, the wheat is looking promising. Some more rain yesterday. With any sort of luck we might turn a profit and afford some fresh beef or mutton. I'm tired of kangaroo and rabbit.

===

18 October 1930

Our tank is full, the crop is maturing. I'm considering adding another room. No Annie, I'm not in the family way. That will never happen between Harry and myself. I just don't want to sleep in the kitchen anymore.

===

2 January 1931

The settlement had a picnic at the lake yesterday. Everyone was in a good mood even if, or maybe because of, it rained. So many happy faces. Including Harry's.

===

11 July 1931

Who would have believed it would be too wet to sow? Harry thinks that the moisture in the soil should see it through to harvest. I'm hoping to get a good price so we can buy some much needed items.

===

1 August 1931

Well, I can't get to Euston. The road is flooded.

===

5 October 1931

Grass and herbage is so abundant, the rabbit population has increased enormously. Harry is trying to destroy them before they decide wheat is tastier than grass.

===

13 Dec 1931

Where did all these mice come from? There's millions of the nasty little beasts. Nothing is safe from their voracious appetite. We've tried to block their entry into the house with wire netting and linseed putty, but nothing seems to work. What else can this god forsaken land throw at us? I hope the seed that Harry buried in the bags survives. I really don't want any more debt.

===

13 Oct 1932

Thousands and thousands of rabbits. It's a race to see who gets the best of the meagre crop. Even though our paddock is surrounded with wire netting, the pests burrow underneath it and eat everything. I have heard that around Ivanhoe the rabbits are so hungry they are eating the bark from the trunks and limbs of trees.

Just one more joy we have to contend with.

===

29 Oct 1932

I feel like a fool. An aeroplane flew low over the house and I dove under the table. My mind was elsewhere, and I thought Fritz was about to strafe my position. I quickly recovered myself and went outside to watch the pilot fly east.

I must admit Annie, I did feel a pang of jealousy. Before the war I dreamed of flying but never managed to find the time. I still would like to view the land from the air one day, but my hopes of piloting a craft are unlikely. That is probably my biggest regret. Apart from moving to this cursed place.

===

"Clara probably loved the drone then. Wonder how she did it?" Vicky mused.

"I really have no idea. I'm an engineer. Supernatural actions aren't my area of expertise." Daryl stood up and stretched. "I'm thinking just instant noodles for dinner and an early night. I'm... a bit confused. I need a good night's sleep. Maybe things will be a bit clearer in the morning."

After dinner, the two stripped off and crawled into the tent.

"Just cuddle?" Vicky asked.

Daryl gave her a wry smile and pushed a curl off her face. "Just cuddle. Unless you want me to do that other nipple shot."

"No," she sighed, "I'm not really in the mood to do anything like that. So, after breakfast, do you want to go back and have a look around Clara's house?"

Daryl nodded. "Yeah, I'd like to have a good look around. Find their water tank, any remains of a veggie patch or chicken coop." She sat up. "Clara, if you don't mind, I'd like to photograph your property from the air, but please don't muck about with the drone - the small aircraft. It's not mine and it's expensive."

Not getting a response, she shrugged and lay back, stretching out an arm. "Hope that's a yes."

Vicky dropped her head on the arm and rolled against Daz, draping a leg over her pelvis. "I suppose it's ok. After all, she did lead us there." She looked up and puckered her lips. "Goodnight Gorgeous."

Daryl gently kissed her lips. "Night, Little Red."

===

There was an odd coolness on Vicky's back. She was still in the same position, with her front against Daryl's side, but she knew someone had cuddled up behind her. It was almost identical to how Daryl snuggled into her - the head on her shoulder, boobs in the back and the wiry scratchiness of pubes on her bum. It just felt cooler.

"Good night Clara." She smiled as she felt an arm rest on her waist.

===

Daz grunted and tried to roll over onto her side. Her knees were starting to ache, and she wanted to roll to a different position, but was thwarted by Vicky pinning her down. She sighed and tried to carefully extricate herself from the tangle of limbs over her, which led to the realisation that she was being hugged by more than one person. Vicky's arm was pushed up into her favourite spot, under her boobs, and her upper leg was also annoyingly resting on her other favourite spot - Daryl's bladder. There was the feeling of another arm just under Vicky's, and a leg pushing against her thigh. The feeling was reminiscent of when the three uni students jammed themselves into her bed to sleep. Except tonight, there was no physical arm or leg pressing against her.

"Excuse me ladies," Daz muttered, "I need to stretch."

The invisible arm and leg moved.

"Thanks Clara."

===

"Did you notice there was an extra person in the tent last night?"

Daryl nodded. "Yes, and Clara is more considerate than you and Jo. She moved when I asked."

"Sorry. Anyway, do you want to drive to her house?"

"Yeah, I think so. We'll probably spend most of the day there." Daryl drained the rest of her coffee and stood up. "Let's leave the tent here and just take what we need for the day. This is a good spot."

===

Daryl parked her car in the shade next to a large tree with deep green weeping foliage. "Nice tree Clara. Better than that shit mallee scrub for shade," she said, shouldering her pack.

"It's not a native?" asked Vicky.

"No," Daryl said, "I'm not sure what it is, but I've seen a lot of them around Mildura. They've got a round, pink berry. Are you ok sketching the fireplace while I have a look around. I want to see if Clara has any more hidey holes."

"Can do Daz."

===

11 Nov 32

The gov. is holding an inquiry into how badly they've mismanaged this. I doubt things will change after we've all told them some truths. They aren't likely to admit they fooked it up.

===

30 Jan 1933

Finally got some decent wheat to the Koorakee siding. I don't think the rails will ever reach Mylatchie.

===

11 March 1933

I was asked to join the Lady's Committee for the Werimble School. I begged off, reasoning that I had no children but I would attend any events they held.

Rain is badly needed, Nothing can be planted until we get a good soaking rain shortly. On the good side, rabbits are decreasing. Still, I'm sure there is sufficient seed left to start a fresh crop of bunnys when the rain does come.

===

2 April 1933

We seem to be the unwanted baby of the PP Board. Their decision not to issue us with wire netting to keep the next rabbit plague at bay is unfathomable. That, and some other questionable decisions, make it appear they plan to starve us out.

I hate this area. It is such a drear, doleful, desolate place. I want to hear the warble of a magpie, or any bird for that matter. The only sounds are the rustle of leaves and the slip-slip-slip of feet through the sand.

Harry has become more despondent, as have many other settlers. The Board refuses to accept that this is not a region for cropping only and we must be allowed to stock some sheep to provide another source of income. I could look after some sheep. How hard could veterinary treatments be?

===

"Well, I think that's about it. I've scoured every bit of the clearing, and laid out the markers. Fuck, it's hot. Time for a drink and sit in the shade for a bit."

"Sounds good Daz. I haven't found anything else, and Clara seems to be a bit quiet. I guess we woke her up, and she's now thinking about things as well."

"Probably. Who knows for sure? Anyway, let's read a bit more of her diary. We're well over halfway through it."

===

10 Sept 1933

The first decent rain for a year. Nary a rabbit to be seen.

===

5 Jan 1934

Enough seed to try again next season. Harry is trying to be optimistic, but he has been talking more about returning to his parent's farm at Manangatang. He says it's out of concern because of their age but I know he now can't see a future here. They would welcome him back now he has a wife, even if they consider me old and barren. And they are averaging more than our 2 bags an acre.

===

17 Feb

Annie, I'm alone. Harry has gone west. He went to the new paddock to start placing wire netting around it but didn't return by supper. I was worried, but there was no point in looking for him in the dark. As soon as day broke, I headed out in the lorry to where I thought he would be.