The Girls of Manchester Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Amanda slumped against the locker, her shoulder in pain from the impact. She looked down at all of her school things, pages torn out of books, notebooks ripped to shreds, pens and pencils broken. It would take so much money for her parents to replace all of it. Amanda slid down until she sat upon the floor. She didn't care anymore about appearances. Even with the hallway still full of people, she cried openly. Her body shook with the force of her sobs, it felt like an earthquake shaking her, an uncontrollable tremor from deep within her mind and body she was now powerless to stop as the pain and humiliation finally managed to escape from her in the form of tears and moans of intense sorrow.

Amanda looked down at her things, the broken pieces of a new school year that could have gone better reflected the broken pieces of her shattered heart. She picked up a shard from the broken mirror, something that was absolutely priceless to her. It was an antique, something that had been given to her by her grandmother before she died. It could not be replaced whatsoever even if one just like it could somehow be found. It just would not be the same. She had adored her grandmother more than anyone else in her life. The old woman had been a mentor, and a source of great comfort for Amanda whenever things were at their worst. She brought her knees up to her body and cried still, the tears flowing in an unending tale of grief as she looked at her reflection in the broken shard of glass.

Amanda felt herself being wrapped up in a pair of arms, but she did not acknowledge it- her sorrow would not let her. An arm pulled her in by the shoulders, the other directing her head into the crook of a neck. Long, soft hair caressed her face as she was gently brought ever deeper into an embrace that Amanda desperately needed. Amanda dropped the shard of glass and wrapped her arms around her unknown bringer of comfort. Amanda cried harder as she finally felt free to let go of all of the emotions and frustrations that had been building up in her weary mind. She buried her face into the girl's chest, closing her eyes as her tears stained the girl's shirt.

Amanda cried herself out, her body finally able to relax out of sheer exhaustion. She sniffed repeatedly, laying her head against the girl's chest and neck. She opened her eyes to look upon her school things once again, a strange emptiness in her heart. There was no connection to any of it any longer. Amanda picked up her head and looked into the deepest blue eyes she had ever seen.

"Thanks." Amanda said, wiping the tears from her face.

The girl made gestures to her, and Amanda was confused. The stranger seemed at a loss until she held up a finger. Amanda watched as the girl picked up one of her scattered sheets of paper and a broken pencil and began writing. She finished and held the paper up for Amanda to read.

"You're welcome. Are you okay?"

Amanda shook her head, sniffing. The girl turned to the piece of paper again.

"My name is Samantha, just call me Sam. What's your name?"

"Amanda." Amanda said looking at the girl's shirt. Her eyes widened as she realized just how much she had cried, the girl's white blouse was nearly transparent to the point she could make out Sam's bra underneath. Sam followed her gaze and smiled. She wrote on the paper once more.

"Don't worry about it. You looked like you needed a hug."

Amanda laughed a little despite that, in the background, she could hear the muttered insults of a few people as they walked by, and the questions of who this girl was that apparently didn't care about Amanda's reputation and being caught anywhere talking to the young fourteen-year-old red head.

"Sammy! There you are! We need to hurry, or we'll miss- what happened here?" a girl appeared behind Sam, and Amanda was astonished. They looked exactly alike. Sam caught the look and smiled.

"Nothing that doesn't happen every day in my life." Amanda muttered ruefully, looking down to the floor.

Sam gestured to the other girl who looked at Amanda, then back to Sam.

"My name is Bridget." the new arrival said," My sister tells me your name is Amanda?"

"Yeah." Amanda replied, wanting to ask questions, but not sure if she should.

"Yes, we're twins." Bridget laughed, guessing the question on Amanda's mind. "No, Sam can't speak, either."

Amanda nodded her head in understanding and looked around.

"What happened here?" Another voice came from a few feet away. It was the Principal.

"We don't know, Mrs. Fairhaven. My sister found her like this and was trying to help her when I came along. Did you see what happened Sam?"

Sam shook her head," I did not see a thing. I was about to ask Amanda about it when you came along."

Mrs. Fairhaven signed back to Sam," Would you mind giving me some time alone with her? Unless you think she needs someone there with her."

"I would like to stay with her, if you don't mind. She is pretty shaken up. She was crying hard when I found her., It took her a while to calm down."

Amanda was watching the exchange in confusion, the fact that a principal would know sign language was a foreign concept to her.

"Well," Mrs. Fairhaven said out loud so that Amanda could be a part of the conversation," the buses have already left. I will take you to the office so I can call each of your parents. Then I'll take you girls home. On the way, we can discuss what has happened."

Sam got up from the ground and held out a hand for Amanda. Amanda was pulled onto her feet by Sam, who was shorter than her by at least a couple of inches. Amanda was surprised at the girl's strength, smiling uncertainly at the girl who had been there for her. Mrs. Fairhaven motioned for them all to follow and Amanda went obediently behind, tailed by the twins.

They walked through several corridors, Amanda marveling at the size of the high school. It was bigger than any of the other schools in town that she had been to. She was so busy exploring every inch of the school along the way that she had nearly forgotten her troubles until, at last, they arrived at the office. Amanda never liked going to the office in any school. In her mind, it was a place you went to when you were in trouble. Though Amanda had never been in trouble herself in school, trouble at school had always managed to find her. Therefore, she had become almost a common fixture in the office of every school she had ever attended. It looked like her high school years would not be any different in that respect.

Mrs. Fairhaven directed the girls to sit in a few chairs that lined a wall while she disappeared into her office. Amanda looked around. It was strange that no matter what school office she walked into, they all looked and smelled the same. She suddenly got the feeling she was being watched and looked at Sam. The girl's eyes were studying her. Never before had she seen a gaze so intense, and at the same time so full of gentleness. Sam gestured to her.

"I'm sorry, I don't understand." Amanda said, apologetic.

Sam huffed then turned to her sister. After a brief exchange Bridget looked at her.

"Sam wants to know what happened. She is concerned about you."

"I guess I am okay. All of that stuff cost a lot of money. My parents can't really afford to be spending a bunch of money to replace my things every time they get destroyed," Amanda paused, looking toward the ground, "Which is more often than I would like to admit."

Sam gestured towards her again.

"Sam wanted to know who is so mean that they would do this to you?" Bridget asked, Amanda could see the curiosity in both their faces.

"Everyone. The only friend I have is Elizabeth." Amanda said, her jaw trembling. She looked down towards the floor again, the shame in her heart increasing with each new question. These two were being so nice to her, and she didn't want them to know how much of a loser she actually was. It would drive them away. Though she loved being friends with Elizabeth, Amanda still craved human company with a little more frequency than barely at all. She saw a hand come up underneath her chin, lifting her head by the chin until she was face to face with Sam. Sam gestured.

"She says she will be your friend if you want. She likes you, she says she has good feelings about you." Bridget translated.

"I- don't know sign language, for one." Amanda replied, ashamed she was offering such a feeble excuse to a generous offer like that. She saw the sisters glance at each other, then turn back to her.

"Let me teach you- let us teach you." Bridget replied immediately. "Everyone needs friends, and we will be more than happy to be yours."

Amanda had no idea how to react to this. She sat back in her chair, lowering her eyes to the ground as she fidgeted with her fingers. She felt Sam's hand on her chin yet again, now pulling Amanda's head to face her.

"She wants you to look at her," Bridget said. "She says you don't have to be alone. Even if you have one friend already, what could it hurt to have a couple more? Also, she asks why do you keep lowering your head like that? She says you have a really beautiful face. Why hide it?"

Amanda smiled genuinely for the first time in what seemed like ages. She grabbed Sam's hand and held onto it.

"Not at all, but I'm not that beautiful." Amanda replied.

"Sam says bullshit. You are very beautiful, and you need to stop letting others control your self-image." Bridget said as Sam's hands moved at a frenzied pace of words.

"Thanks." Amanda replied sheepishly.

Sam smiled brightly hugging Amanda close. She pulled back quickly then grabbed hold of Amanda's hands. Amanda looked down in curiosity. Sam brought Amanda's hand so that she was pointing to herself, then grabbed Amanda's pointer and middle finger from both hands and cupping the rest struck the middle finger of her right hand on the pointer of her left, then took one hand and began to twist it and her fingers into a bunch of different positions. It was hard to keep up with them all. Amanda looked at Bridget confused.

"What is-?" Amanda asked.

"It looks like you've learned your first words of sign language." Bridget smiled.

"What?" Amanda said in shock. "That's what you were doing?"

Sam nodded.

"Could you- show me again? That was hard to follow." Amanda said, intrigued to learn a whole new language. Sam nodded and held onto Amanda's hands once more. Each gesture was made slowly so that Amanda could understand how it was done. Then Sam let go and gestured at her.

"Go ahead and try it." Bridget said.

Amanda went through each sign as best as she could remember it. The whole time she kept her eyes on Sam, wondering if she was doing it right. Sam smiled beautifully at her when she finished, nodding her approval. Sam gestured towards her and Bridget translated.

"She said you did excellent."

"What did I just say?" Amanda asked.

"My name is Amanda." Bridget replied.

Amanda's face lit up as she made the signs again. This was exciting for her. Not only did she have a couple of new friends, but they were people who could engage her on an intellectual level. Sam grabbed Amanda's hands and had her make almost the exact same motions.

"Your name is Amanda?" Amanda asked.

Sam nodded and signed something causing Bridget to laugh.

"What- what did she say?" Amanda asked, wondering if there was a joke being made at her expense. Not that she could help having such thoughts. Years of being harassed and ridiculed had basically conditioned her to assume the worst about people.

"She said you're both smart and beautiful, a rare combination." Bridget said giggling. Amanda blushed, not used to receiving compliments from strangers. She hated it when she blushed, her skin would always turn a crimson color on her neck and shoulders as well as her face. Her freckles quickly began to turn ten shades darker with the influx of warm blood so near the surface of her hot skin.

The girls had no idea they were being watched. Mrs. Fairhaven had already completed the necessary phone calls and had been watching the exchange with keen interest. It was a wonder to her mind, even after all of these years as an educator, how things always managed to work themselves out.

"Come on, girls. It is time to get you home." Mrs. Fairhaven said, stopping the girls in their tracks. She walked back into her office and grabbed her purse. When she walked back into the main office area the girls were ready to go and she led them out of the school and to her SUV.

"Get yourselves buckled, ladies. Amanda, sit in the front seat with me. We will drop Sam and Bridget off first." Mrs. Fairhaven instructed.

Amanda nodded and climbed into the large vehicle. Sam and Bridget made their way into the back and Mrs. Fairhaven started the car.

"Amanda, I have checked in with the principals at your former schools. I have heard some stories and I want you to just answer yes or no to my questions. Could you do that for me?" Mrs. Fairhaven asked.

Amanda nodded, swallowing out of nervousness.

"You have had a lot of incidents in the past. Yes?"

"Yes."

"A lot of them, in fact nearly all of them, involve Jessica Long or one of her friends, correct?"

"Yes." Amanda replied weakly. She knew what Mrs. Fairhaven was driving at, but if she ratted Jessica out, she knew that everything would turn out worse for her in the end.

"In complete honesty, was Jessica Long or one of her friends responsible for what I saw in that hallway?"

Amanda moved her mouth to speak, to make some excuse- but she hesitated. She didn't know what to say, but a hand on her shoulder gave her the bit of courage she needed. She looked back, following the arm with her eyes to see Sam looking at her with an encouraging smile.

"Yes." Amanda replied, her voice nearly inaudible.

"Thank you for your honesty, Amanda. I know what it is like to be bullied. When I was your age, I didn't have the courage to stand up to them, and endured the abuses every single day in silence. I admire your courage."

Amanda sat in silence, watching the scenery go by as Bridget guided Mrs. Fairhaven to their house. She was lost in her own thoughts, each more dismal than the next. Neither the Principals, nor any of the teachers she ever had knew Jessica Long like she did. If Jessica Long got punished for hurting her, Amanda would only suffer more.

She was disturbed from her melancholy musings when the vehicle came to a stop. Amanda felt a tap on her shoulder and she turned around. Sam gestured to her.

"She says good bye." Bridget explained.

Amanda repeated the gesture to Sam who flashed her a bright smile and hopped out of the SUV, sprinting towards the front door of a beautiful two-story house. Bridget waved at Amanda and Mrs. Fairhaven before following her sister. Amanda watched them until they disappeared through the front doorway. As Mrs. Fairhaven pulled away, Sam reappeared in the doorway, waving.

"So, Miss Mondale. How do you like Sam and Bridget?" Mrs. Fairhaven asked, trying to generate some conversation in the still air of the large vehicle.

"They're nice." Amanda replied, her voice seeming distant.

"I know there is no perfect solution to a situation such as yours. I could suspend Jessica, but that has already been tried before, hasn't it?"

"Yeah." Amanda replied, her head sinking.

"I will try to arrange for you to get a locker in the Senior hallway. Hopefully one will be available next to Sam and Bridget for you. If not, I can make it happen. Would you like that?" Mrs. Fairhaven asked, raising an eyebrow.

"You would do that?" Amanda asked, hope in her eyes.

"Like I said, I have been bullied before. I have reviewed your file a bit and found nothing but a litany of excuses as to why Jessica Long has not been more severely punished. She hurts you and does all of these awful things, and yet you try to protect her. Is it because you're afraid?" Mrs. Fairhaven asked.

"I- I don't know what to-." Amanda stammered.

"Is it because you're afraid she will do something worse to you?"

Amanda nodded, a tear falling down her cheek.

"Look, the more you enable her, the longer she is going to continue to do this. Which is why I am going to have to talk to her parents directly."

"No! Please, just let it go. Move me to a new locker, but don't say anything!" Amanda pleaded.

Mrs. Fairhaven was shocked at the volume of Amanda's outburst. Not only the volume, but by how desperate Amanda was to just go on her own way. She sorely wished she could just abide by Amanda's request, like so many others had. However, it had done little to change Amanda's situation this far.

"I am sorry Amanda, I know how desperate you are to see that this whole thing will just pass you by. I would not be doing my job as an educator, as a Principal, and as someone entrusted with your well-being to allow this to continue any further. I understand your position, please believe me. Allowing things to continue as they have, however, could lead to an escalation that I will not be able to ignore. If anyone gets hurt, then it becomes my problem. Do you understand what I am saying?"

Amanda nodded glumly.

"I will talk to her parents tomorrow. I will be suspending miss Long for a week. If she does not shape up, after three suspensions, she will be expelled per school policy."

Amanda moaned, covering her face with her hands. She could not imagine anything worse happening in her life, and Mrs. Fairhaven was inadvertently going to be the cause of it. She knew something would come of this.

Mrs. Fairhaven sensed Amanda's tense mood and turned on a Jazz station she loved to listen to on the way home from work. She hummed along with a Jazz solo, the piece familiar to her from her days in high school when she played in the Jazz Band.

Ten minutes later they arrived at Amanda's house, the red head thanked her quickly and jumped out of the car. Amanda ran into the house, all the way to her room. She threw her book bag onto the floor and collapsed in a heap upon her bed. She didn't bother taking anything off, she crawled underneath the comforter, letting the soft fabric caress her in its downy warmth.

Ten minutes later, she heard a car door shut and a vehicle driving off. A soft knock on her door let her know that Mrs. Fairhaven had just had a conversation with her mom after she had simply run inside.

"Come in." Amanda mumbled.

The door opened and Abigail Mondale entered the room. Amanda could see the concern on her mother's face and couldn't help but think that sympathy was the last thing she needed right now. She just needed to disappear, to go away. If she went away, her problems would go away as well.

"Hey, Amanda. How are you feeling?" her mother asked.

"I'm guessing you talked to Mrs. Fairhaven?"

"Yes."

"Then you should know how I'm feeling." Amanda replied glumly.

"I was just hoping we would be able to talk about this. I don't see why you continue to allow her to do these things to you. She is apparently hard-headed because no matter how many times Elizabeth gets in trouble for beating Jessica to a pulp, she keeps coming back again."

"I want to go to another school." Amanda replied quickly, startling her mother.

"Why?" Abigail asked.

"It's not just her, it is everyone. They all hate me." Amanda replied, getting more depressed by the second.

"Running away isn't necessarily an answer to your problems. Maybe you should-."

"Maybe I should what? I should stay there and let Jessica continue hurting me? She broke Grandma's mirror!" Amanda replied, tears streaming down her cheeks again.

"Why did you take her mirror to school? You know that was-." Abigail stopped herself, holding up a hand, more as an effort to keep from arguing with Amanda.

1...34567...13