The Good Kingdom

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

On and on I trudged, heedless of anything but my objective, the exposed portions of my face beginning to succumb to the effects of the freezing cold. My feet and hands felt numb and I knew that this was the first sign of the dreaded frostbite that would claim my limbs, and that I would die here, alone and forgotten. But I could not stop. I had to keep going. I had to find him even if I should die in the attempt. But after a time I found that I could no longer keep up the pace, and fell to my knees gasping for breath in the rarefied air.

And then, to my great surprise, I looked up into the sky and saw the sun come out from behind a vast wall of clouds, the sun whose face had never shone directly onto the land of Swarga Loka. And before this great sunlit panorama I felt the warmth of its healing rays, the rays that shone forth from the golden scepter of the divine goddess Tara—the most pious. They enveloped me and soothed me, taking away my pain. And before I had a chance to offer supplication to my deliverer, my eyes beheld a small point in the distance, the image of a moving shadow upon the melting snow. I cried out and the image took upon itself a renewed energy and purpose, racing toward me with superhuman speed.

Oh, Tara, goddess of all things good and beautiful! Most devout and pious benefactress! Be merciful to me! Do not let me die here alone and forgotten!

Even as my hope waned, the light of the sun grew stronger still, and I felt life begin to creep back into my limbs. With great effort I rose to my feet. Suddenly I could breathe again. And as I watched the ice and snow around me slowly dissolve under the blessed warmth of the sun, I knew I was witnessing a miracle. It was the old woman's vision made manifest. Here on the roof of the world, I stood unafraid, untouched by the fear that had kept me and my sisters so long a prisoner of our misbegotten paradise.The way had been made clear!

And then, as the frozen mists were swept away by the power of the healing light, I saw the image of my beloved spring into view, his face resplendent in the golden aura that surrounded us. We cried and laughed with joy as our lips touched, and I knew that our journey had only just begun. Tara, the good, the devout, had kept her promise.

THE END

1...5678910