The Hunter's Companions Ch. 09

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I'm a hunter." Livinia corrected, teeth clenched. Rioden shrugged.

"All the same in the end, yes?" He said dismissively with what was supposed to be a suave smile, but it made Livinia want to dry reach.

"Tell me, why would such an attractive woman such as yourself take up such an ugly career?" Livinia's stomach burned with anger.

"Excuse me please... for just one moment." Livinia turned quickly and ran over to a side board that held the spare cutlery. She rifled through the draws until her hands closed around a heavy silver steak knife. She turned around again and gave Rioden a winning smile before flinging the knife in his direction. A look of terror transfigured his face and the knife buried into the wall behind his head with a loud thunk. Livinia walked back over to him and smiled innocent. "If I had wanted to hit you, I would have done so." She said in a faux sweet tone "No warrior could have done that."

"Right, well..." Rioden cleared his throat and looked around nervously. "Clearly my mistake. Will you forgive me, my Lady?" He asked. Now it was Livinia's turn to shrug. In the absence of speech all that could be heard was the dull chatter of people on the other side of the room, and the delicate sounds of the harp and the wood flute straining through the room. "May I have this dance?" Rioden asked stiffly, holding out his hand. With a sight Livinia held out her hand and let herself be led to the dance floor out of sheer respect for social propriety.

After the song was done, Rioden kissed her hand once more and begged to be excused before high-tailing it over to his father, undoubtedly relating Livinia's behavior to the prominent Blood Elf. As soon as he left Kalendras slipped back in front of her and then whisked her back to the sidelines of the dance floor. Livinia was just about to resume their previous conversation when she saw Aegon walking over to them. Kalendras saw her stiffen and turned around, then let out a low growl that only she would hear.

"Livinia." Aegon said as he approached, with a broad grin on his face. "How are you?"

"Good thanks Mr. Sharpsword." Livinia responded with a forced smile. She could see Kalendras crossing his arms over his chest out of the corner of his eye and bit the inside of her lip. "This is my friend, Kalendras Totemrunner." Livinia said. Aegon offered Kalendras his hand, and Kalendras grudgingly shook it.

"Good evening Kalendras. I've met your parents before. They're both wonderful people." Aegon said politely.

"Thanks." Kalendras said, voice clipped.

"Did you enjoy the exhibition yesterday Livinia?" Aegon asked, oblivious to the way that Kal was radiating pure animosity.

"I did actually- I was quite surprised." Livinia said with a smile.

"Belcarm loved it. He couldn't stop talking about it all night." Aegon said. "He's here, but the way."

Livinia's jaw almost hit the ground. She sensed Kalendras tense beside her and had to stop herself from putting a hand on his arm to calm him.

"Really? He said that your roster was too full." Livinia responded, eyes looking around widely for the familiar stream of black hair.

"Alex Goldspinner's wife went into labor early this morning- I wasn't going to risk him missing the birth of his child, even though he offered to come. Bel stepped in for him." Aegon explained. "He's posted over by the balcony door."

Livinia's eyes snapped over to the double glass doors and her entire body froze as Belcarm's emerald eyes captured hers. He had probably been watching them the entire time without her knowing. Her face turned deep scarlet and she looked back at Sharpsword senior.

"Well, I'd better keep doing the rounds." Aegon sighed, "Nice to meet you, Kalendras... And Livinia? Be sure you come around for dinner some time, okay?"

Livinia nodded mutely as Aegon turned around and walked away.

"What the fuc-"

"Kal, I didn't know!" Livinia said, turning to him and putting her hands up defensively. "You heard what Aegon said- Belcarm stepped in because someone's wife was having a baby."

"That prissy little conceited son of a -"

"KALENDRAS!" Livinia barked, slapping his chest angrily. "Enough!"

"He had two whole days with you Livinia! And now he thinks he can come along while I finally get to spend some time with you-"

"Do you want me to go and tell that man's wife to hold the baby in for a little longer so you can get everything your way?" Livinia snapped "Enough Kal, this is ridiculous."

"Livinia Sunspeaker!" Her Mother's voice cut through her argument and made her cringe.

"Yes mother?" Livinia turned around, and had to stop herself from wincing at the expression on the woman's face.

"Care to explain why the hell you threw a knife at Rioden Swiftspell?" Deanna's voice was dangerously quiet.

"You threw a knife at Swiftspell?" Kalendras laughed, his anger forgotten in his disbelief. Liv nodded but held back her grin. "Nice."

"Kalendras, please don't encourage her." Her mother gave Kalendras a withering look. "You are nearing your twenty-first birthday, it is time you started acting your age. Kalendras, I hope you don't mind, but I have someone I want to introduce Livinia to."

"I suppose I'd better go and socialize anyway." Kalendras sighed. Deanna gave him an approving smile and then whisked Livinia away.

After that, Livinia's mother made sure that she was kept busy with dance partner after dance partner, each one more insufferable than the last. Some, though, were more daring than others, and their hands ventured down her bare back and into the fold of her silken gown. Whenever that happened Livinia made a concerted effort to step on their foot as hard as she could. Eventually they got the message. Throughout it all she could feel two sets of very keen eyes on her. Whenever she caught sight of Kalendras or Belcarm they would pretend they weren't watching her, but she knew better.

~*~

Belcarm shifted uncomfortably and adjusted the mail shirt under his deep red tunic. The icon of a gold phoenix was emblazoned on the red background, a symbol of the Silvermoon City Guardians. Anger boiled in the pit of his stomach as he watched suitor after suitor try to take their liberties with Livinia. As he stood there watching the endless stream of craven half-wits her mother had been sending her way he like nothing more than an old sculpture in the corner of the spacious ballroom. As she was twirled and dipped and held in a close embrace he found himself wishing more and more that he hadn't volunteered to take Alex's place. He thought it would be a wonderful chance to get to see Livinia in her element, but it had turned into a sure form of torture. First with Kalendras, and now with the steady flow of suitors her mother was sending her way- each from a more prominent or important family that his and rich beyond his wildest dreams.

The only saving grace of this drab affair was Livinia. With that amazing gown draped carefully around her body she looked like nothing short of a Goddess. The fabric changed and morphed as she moved, clinging tight to all the right curves. The low cut back dipped to reveal the small of her back. A place that Belcarm made a mental note to kiss next time they were alone. His handmade hair net was holding her long tresses in check, with a few strands left free to frame her glorious face. He smiled to himself as he took in her entire outfit, pleased that the hair net had been the right choice. He had thought about a necklace, or a bracelet, but in the end the net was perfect- it kept her hair from her shoulders and back, exposing the sensuous lines of her body to the bright candlelight.

"She's beautiful, isn't she?" His father's voice distracted him from his musing.

"Who?" Belcarm asked, looking around the room, his father laughed.

"Livinia of course... I can see why you are enamoured by her." He said with an appreciative nod. Belcarm snorted.

"You haven't seen even the half of it." Belcarm said, his Father raised his eyebrows questioningly.

"So she can hold her own in a fight?" Aegon asked, looking at Livinia again. Belcarm hadn't gotten much of a chance to talk to his father about Livinia. He had spent the past few days in Silvermoon with her, and whenever he returned his father was either asleep or getting ready for work.

"Better than most, that's certain." Belcarm confirmed.

"And how does she handle a staff?" His father asked, Belcarm frowned.

"She prefers bows and arrows, and swords if she must. You know that already." He said impatiently, watching as yet another suitor was introduced to his Livinia. This one was particularly repulsive, a squat man by Elven standards, and unfortunately plagued by a look that said that he really needed to use the latrine.

"Not that kind of staff." His Father said, elbowing him playfully.

"Father!" Belcarm hissed angrily, the older man laughed.

"Settle down son, relax." His father sighed "I was only trying to lighten the mood. You look far too tense."

The Elven Leech that was attached to Livinia slipped his hand down her back and into the folds of her dress as he spoke to her. She smiled sweetly and delivered the foot-stomp that Belcarm had learnt was her wise defense against such leaches. Belcarm snorted in amusement at the look of pain that crossed the man's face.

"She looks like a wild one." His Father observed, Belcarm grinned and nodded. Although the grin quickly faded when the Leech put his hand down her dress again. This time he was prepared for the foot stomp and moved out of the way quickly. With a triumphant grin he pulled Livinia against him and put his lips against her ear, whispering something that made her turn green in the face.

Belcarm growled and took a step forward but he was stopped by a hand on his chest.

"Belcarm." Aegon warned under his breath, but before he had a chance to push past him, Belcarm saw the familiar silver shag of Kalendras cross the room and ask for Livinia's hand. Livinia's tension fled her body and her entire being deflated as she took the Tauren's hand. Belcarm's fists clenched beside him and he stepped back.

"Totemrunner's son." his father observed, Belcarm nodded in confirmation. "Their parents are fast friends and strong allies. I am sure that the two have been friends since they first learned to walk." His father said soothingly. If only you knew, Belcarm thought with a sigh. His Father stiffened suddenly. "Excuse me for a minute...." He said and made to leave, but thinking better of it he decided to add "Belcarm? Just remember why you are here and what you are being paid to do. Relax, okay?" Belcarm nodded and watched as his father made his way across the room to a tall Elf with startling white hair and glowing green eyes, dressed in deep crimson and cloaked with the wings of a phoenix. Lor'themar Theron, the leader of the Blood Elves. This was only the second time that Belcarm had seen their exalted leader, but his father seemed to be particularly familiar with him.

Belcarm's attention returned to Livinia and Kalendras who were now twirling around the room in large circles, Livinia standing on Kalendras's feet and laughing with wild abandon. Nobody in the room seemed to bat an eyelash and Belcarm had to accept that they were well known to be friends. He also had to accept the fact that, while he was a Blood Elf, he was not of her kind. Despite the difference in their race, Livinia and Kalendras are both of noble breeding and were always going to be part of a world where he was not welcome save for his hired sword.

~*~

"May I cut in?" Kalendras's voice broke through the bubble of absolute horror that surrounded Livinia and Milent Goldtongue. Goldtongue looked up at him angry, but Kalendras merely pulled Livinia towards him, effectively freeing her from the Elve's slimy grasp. The disgruntled Master of Coin grumbled as he turned and stalked off, no doubt to find a corner to sulk in.

"Thank you!" Livinia said, her whole body relaxing in his presence. "Holy hell that man is repulsive!" Livinia said, Kalendras laughed. "Do you know that he said to me?" She snapped, outraged.

"Hmm?"

"He told me that a golden tongue could work wonders when slipped into the right mouth!" Livinia cried, Kalendras's booming laughter was louder than the sound of the music "He even thought I wanted to know what other lips could benefit from the touch of his golden tongue!"

Kalendras laughed again as green disgust and red embarrassment played at Livinia's pale white face. Milent Goldentongue had not reached his position through any true skill with coin, instead- as his name suggested- he had worked his way up through the ranks with well-timed platitudes and cunning blackmail. Or so Kalendras had heard.

"May I have this dance?" It was Livinia's turn to laugh now as she eyed him warily.

"You?" She snorted, "Dance?" Kalendras grinned and pulled her against him.

"At events like these I must curb my natural aversion to the horrid practice." Kalendras said. He grasped her waist and lifted her, careful that her smooth dress didn't slip and make her fall, and then placed her gently on his own giant hooves. "Keep your feet on mine and our dance will be more graceful than a swan in flight!" He said. Before she could protest he took up the rhythm of the music and spun them around in large circles.

~*~

Livinia sat in a chair by the refreshment table with a cool goblet of Summer Wine in her hands. Kalendras had been called away by his father to be introduced to a couple of visiting Tauren Druids who were prominent in Thunder Bluff. She and Kalendras had danced for a long time, him effectively saving her from the constant stream of suitors that her mother sent her way. Luckily, she hadn't seen her mother for quite a while, so she was still in a good mood. The night was slowly drawing to a close, most of the guests had gone home, and those who remained were either terribly drunk, or of a high enough rank that they were expected to see the entire event through.

"There you are, Liv." Her Father said as he fell into the seat next to hers. "Having a good night?" He asked, Livinia nodded.

"As soon as Kal rescued me from the horrid Milent Goldentongue, yes." Her father cringed. "Why in the name of hell would mother send that slug to me?" She asked angrily.

"Language, Liv!... I guess she was desperate after you tried to kill Rioden Swiftspell." Her father tutted.

"If I had being trying to kill him, that knife would have landed right between his eyes." Livinia sighed, she looked at her father out of the corner of her eyes and could see that he was trying to hold back the laughter.

"Of that I have no doubt, dear," he said "but you mother has been trying for months to organize a match between you two and..." he trailed off and Livinia rolled her eyes.

"Well, I am most certainly not interested." She snapped "So you can tell her to keep her match-making to herself, please?" It was now her father's turn to sigh.

"It's Belcarm Sharpsword, isn't it?" He asked her, eyebrows creasing. Livinia shifted so that she was facing him and inspected his face carefully. She had always been closer to her father than his mother, she had always trusted him more.

"Yes... No... Well, sort of." Livinia blurted out and her father merely nodded with a knowing smile.

"Very well, I will tell her mind her own business." He said, and Livinia was flooded with relief. Even though she was rarely in Silvermoon City, every time she was she was constantly smothered under a thick blanket of suitors

"Can I help you, Sentinal?" Her father said formally before his mouth dropped open in surpise. Livinia shot up as well and her eyes met Belcarm's. It was strange seeing him in the Silvermoon City Guardian uniform. "Sorry Belcarm! Didn't recognize you in the red and gold!" Her father reached out and shook his hand eagerly.

"Might I please talk to Livinia for a moment?" Belcarm asked with a polite inclination of his head.

"Yes, of course!" Her beamed at him. "You certainly may!" This time he nodded at his daughter and Livinia's cheeks burned at his obvious approval. "Very well then, I have some – er- business to attend to anyway." Her father departed quickly, knowing that his presence was no longer required.

"You look exquisite." Belcarm said softly as soon as her father was out of earshot, making her blush even more.

"Thank you." Livinia said, her breath coming faster when she noticed the way his eyes were drinking in every inch of her skin. He even took the time to observe the parts of her that shielded by the dress, as though he was seeing her naked skin instead of the fabric that covered them.

"You still returning to Orgrimmar in the morning?" Belcarm asked.

"Yes! Even though you showed me the best two days I've ever had in Silvermoon I'll be glad to leave this place behind." Livinia said

"I'm glad you had a good time. I told you that you would!" He said with an endearingly cocky grin. "I got in touch with Kahora this morning, he said that he wants to infiltrate the Dreadmines on Thursday. Are you up for it?

"When am I not up for a fight?" Livinia asked with a laugh. Belcarm smiled back at her, but then his eyes drifted down to her breasts and she laughed again. She watched as his hands opened and closed as he resisted the urge to touch her.

"Sorry Liv, can't help it! Not when you look so beautiful... Will I meet you by the Orgrimmar portal tomorrow at midday?"

"Aren't you being paid to do a job?" Kalendras's voice interrupted them as he stepped up behind Livinia. Belcarm bristled visibly and gave the Tauren a scathing look.

"I am doing my job." Belcarm replied angrily.

"If that were true you wouldn't be mingling with the guests." Kalendras replied and Livinia shot him an angry look.

"I am talking to Livinia." Belcarm said, but they all knew that Kalendras was right. He should be focused on the entire party, not on her.

"Learn your place, Paladin." Kalendras growled.

"Kalendras!"

"Learn your place, Bull." Belcarm spat.

"BELCARM!" Livinia yelped as she was pushed aside by Kalendras.

"Handle her like that again and I will break your legs." Belcarm said through gritted teeth.

"Break my legs and your father will lose his job." Kalendras threatened taking a step forward so that he towered over Belcarm. Livinia tried to wedge between them but they ignored her.

"Don't you dare threaten my father, Totemrunner!" Belcarm growled, his hand going to the handle of the sword that was sheathed at his side.

"And what will you do about it?" Kalendras sneered.

"Cut it out!" Livinia hissed, careful to keep her voice down. She could see a couple of people looking over at them, wondering what all the fuss was about. The two males quieted for a moment, but when the last guest had returned to their previous activities the tension grew between them again.

"She is mine." Kalendras said possessively and Belcarm laughed.

"You are not suited to her, Druid, it is high time you realized that." Belcarm sneered acidicly. Against her back Livinia could feel Kalendras shaking with anger.

"Nor are you suited to her," Kalendras replied "you had best stick to your own reflection and your hand."

Livinia clenched her teeth angrily. This was the worst possible moment for them to hash out this argument. The Diplomat's Ball was where representatives from the Horde gathered from all around Azeroth to celebrate the union of the Horde, and most certainly not a place to display their sordid love triangle for all to see.

"If you truly loved her you would see how you hurt her." Belcarm said, eyes burning with anger. Kalendras froze. "You know it. Don't pretend you don't. Did you know that I have healed her after you have taken her?" Belcarm snarled.

"If she was hurting she would have asked me to heal her." Kalendras said defensively making Belcarm laugh.