The Keeping of Lena Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Lena knew without a doubt that he was looking for her.

Her heart raced so rapidly that she felt she would soon become sick from the palpitations, and Lena quickened her steps to a run, desperate to reach the front doors and escape before the lion could close in on the mouse.

Once outside, Lena was bathed in morning light as she continued to run, deeply inhaling and exhaling in a desperate attempt to still her frantic nerves. She ran all the way down to the lower drive of the estate, delighted to find several servants already awake and polishing the Wolfenbarger carriages.

"I need to go into town, and urgently — may one of you please accompany me?" Lena asked, out of breath.

A young man to her left smiled kindly.

"It would be my honor, Fräulein Lena. Where do you wish to go?"

"The hospital, please. Herr Günther's. Oh, and the flower shop as well," Lena explained, extending several marks in appreciation.

To her surprise, the man politely refused her offering.

"It would be my pleasure to be your escort, Fräulein Lena, as I have been instructed to serve you with the same loyalty as Herr Wolfenbarger. Please, this way," he replied cordially.

Lena gratefully accepted his extended hand as he led her into the back of a gleaming carriage, before proudly assuming the driver's seat, guiding the strong, midnight horses away from Schloss Wolfenbarger.

The ride into town seemed longer than she remembered, and Lena anxiously nibbled her lower lip, wondering if they were lost. It seemed like hours passed before layer after layer of dense forest was finally broken by man-made structures, gradually increasing in prevalence and magnitude the further south they traveled.

"The hospital, Fräulein," the driver said assuredly. Manners long forgotten, Lena didn't even wait for him to open the door for her as she quickly hurled herself out of the coach. To her embarrassment, she misjudged the height of the ornate cabin, and Lena unceremoniously tripped on the highest step, very nearly tumbling to the ground.

Before her escort could offer to help her, Lena shook her head.

"I'll only be a few moments," Lena called over her shoulder, already rushing towards the entrance.

To her continued shame, Lena was once again out of breath when she finally climbed all of the outside stairs and entered the main lobby of the hospital. Nurses in dainty white and blue gowns eyed her suspiciously as she fanned herself, loose hair sticking to her flushed cheeks.

Their gazes grew increasingly disapproving, nearing disgust, as Lena continued to wander the hospital corridors. Yet no one ventured to speak one word to her, despite her attempts to ask for help.

She wasn't certain, but it felt almost as if she were being shunned.

Lena felt cold dread beginning to chill her veins as she continued to walk, wondering if her relationship with Renz was somehow obvious to these women.

Did they know how he'd abused her body? How she'd actuallyasked him to?

Did they know how profoundly she'd managed to...degrade herself?

"You seem lost," called a warm, deep voice.

Lena whirred around in a final bout of terror, before she was suddenly steadied by a kind, pale green gaze.

It was impossible for her not to notice that he was a very handsome man. Tall and lean, he had an intelligent, sharp smile, smooth skin, and well-styled, icy blond hair.

For some reason she couldn't immediately pinpoint, he seemed almost familiar to her.

"Are you...Dr. Engel?" Lena asked hopefully. The man's smile widened.

"Call me Gottfried. It's wonderful to see you again, Fräulein Lena," he said, reaching for her hand with a faint bow.

Lena frowned in confusion.

"How did you—"

"I helped care for you a few weeks ago, right after you were brought back to Schloss Wolfenbarger. You were quite weak and very drugged, and out of necessity. I'm not surprised you don't remember me," Gottfried said, releasing her fingers.

Her mind conjured hazy memories of a flaxen, spectacled doctor with eyes like frosted wormwood, one of the many figures standing by her bedside during those long, painful weeks of recovery from the horrors of Ludovic's brothel.

Overwhelmed with gratitude, Lena couldn't help the automatic bend in her knees as she entered a small bow.

"Dr. Engel...I can't thank you enough. You, Dr. Günther, the nurses...you all saved me. I'm forever in your debt," Lena said sincerely.

To her surprise, a soft hand on her chin brought her back to her full height. Lena found she had to strain her neck to look directly at him, he was so tall.

"There's no debt to be paid, Lena. I'm thrilled to see how well you've recovered. Although, I have a feeling you didn't come here for a social call," Gottfried said.

Lena blushed in shame, realizing that in her reverent distraction, she'd temporarily forgotten her purpose.

"Unfortunately yes...is there somewhere we can talk privately?" Lena asked.

With a gentlemanly bow, Gottfried led Lena through the main receiving hall and into his office.

"Take a seat, my dear. How can I help you?" Gottfried asked.

Lena slowly lowered herself into an extended chair as Gottfried casually strolled around the wide room, seemingly searching for something on his overflowing bookshelves.

"Well...there's been a tragedy. A stillbirth. Karl has been caring for the mother. He gave me a list of supplies he needs, as he is unable to come into town on his own," Lena explained slowly.

Almost absently, a long fingered hand extended towards her, even though Gottfried's curious gaze remained fixed on an intimidating case of long, thin needles resting on an upper shelf.

Not knowing what else to do, Lena placed Karl's list in Gottfried's hand.

"A tragedy indeed. And are you close with the mother?" Gottfried asked. He glanced briefly at the list before placing it in his pocket and quickly reaching for various jars and vials on the shelves behind his desk.

Lena swallowed hard.

"Well, umm...I've only just met her recently. But we have become quite close. She's...Herr Wolfenbarger's sister-in-law," Lena said quietly, suddenly feeling as if she were divulging some secret she should have kept hidden.

Gottfried paused for but a split second, before he continued gathering supplies.

"Ahh, Frau Ava Wolfenbarger. Karl has spoken quite...fondly of her over the years. I never have had the pleasure of meeting her. You'll be sure to convey my condolences, won't you Lena?" Gottfried asked, extending a leather bag overflowing with varying bottles, tubes, and wrapped packages.

Lena accepted the bag, surprised by how instantly it seemed to first strain her arms, before targeting her tender ribs.

"Are you still in great pain?" the doctor asked, easing the bag away from her. Lena bit her lower lip, unsure of which answer to give him.

"Sometimes. But I am healing," Lena replied, for it was the truest answer she could think of.

"And Herr Wolfenbarger...he's been supportive in your recovery, no doubt?" Gottfried asked.

Lena's cheeks immediately flamed red with embarrassment, and with fear. There was no denying that in some ways, Renz had been extraordinarily supportive. The man who'd taken her back to Sterling Manor, who had tenderly made love to her, reminding her of the soft, gentle joys of flesh after the abuse at the hands of his brother...that man, certainly, had helped her recover.

But there was no denying that there was a second, more dangerous side to Renz...

"Of course...he certainly has," Lena replied, sounding unsure even to her own ears.

Gottfried removed his spectacles and placed a large hand over her shoulder.

"Apologies for my forwardness, but you do seem a bit...disturbed today. You can be honest with me, Lena. I am a doctor. Has Renz been supportive in your recovery?" Gottfried asked.

Lena swallowed hard, not entirely sure if she was more perturbed by his hand on her shoulder, or his haunting words.

"Well, I...umm—"

"I take it that's a no," Gottfried answered for her. For some reason she couldn't explain, Lena suddenly grew defensive, and distantly, almost angry.

"Herr Wolfenbarger has been most generous, and supportive, Dr. Engel. I'm not sure what would make you presume otherwise," Lena said quickly. Gottfried smiled bashfully, causing a strange, almost sick sensation to churn in her lower belly.

Suddenly, the air of the office seemed much warmer than when they'd first entered, and beads of perspiration began to drip down her cheeks. Lena inhaled and exhaled deeply, trying her hardest to inconspicuously loosen the many heavy layers of her gown, a deliberate choice on account of winter fast approaching.

But Gottfried sat in front of her completely unperturbed, his marbled face cool, calm, and free of any sheen.

"I meant you no offense, Lena. I am merely concerned for you. I don't mean to scare you, but I don't think you realize...just how close you were to dying, and a mere few weeks ago. Your recovery really was a miracle," Gottfried said seriously.

Lena opened her mouth to answer him, but it seemed as if a strange force took her thoughts and words away from her. It was as if her body had reached an uncomfortable pause, and tense, sharp tingles began to crawl over her skin.

And the room boiled ever hotter.

"Lena?"

The doctor's voice sounded further away, overshadowed by the loudening stampede of her heartbeat. Lena could feel her entire body shake with each palpitation, so powerful that it became difficult to remain standing.

"Are you all right, Lena?" Gottfried asked.

His worried tone seemed to halt the strange sensations, granting a temporary stasis. Lena blinked several times and slowed her breaths, before weakly smiling.

"It was just a long night with Ava, sir. I'm afraid I'm much more exhausted than I thought. But...I feel fine," Lena said softly. With a knowing smile, Gottfried nodded and slowly escorted her out of his office.

The crisp outside air seemed to cool her heated flesh, but Lena still felt distantly disoriented, almost dizzy, as if there was some critical piece of information she was forgetting.

To her relief, Gottfried did not appear put off by her unbecoming confusion.

"Is your driver nearby? You really need to get some rest soon, Lena. You appear faint, and I'm afraid this hospital cannot grant you the same comforts as Schloss Wolfenbarger," he said.

To her relief, Lena could see her driver beginning to approach her.

"He's just there. Good day, Dr. Engel. And thank you, for everything you've done," Lena said sincerely. Gottfried smiled again, his handsome face once more striking that strange, fluid movement in her torso. Lena couldn't tell if she was just nervous, or severely ill, but there was something about Gottfried that strongly disturbed her.

With a cordial bow, and a widening smile, Gottfried began to return to the hospital doors.

But suddenly, he paused.

"Even more astounding than your recovery is your sheer loveliness, Lena," Gottfried said. Lena's cheeks immediately began to re-flush.

"I'm flattered, Dr. Engel, but you musn't—"

"No need to be embarrassed, Lena. It's less a compliment, and more an offering of gratitude," Gottfried interrupted. Lena frowned in confusion.

"I'm not sure I follow, sir," Lena replied warily. Gottfried shrugged his broad shoulders.

"As a scientist, I seldom believe in miracles. But you, Lena...you've managed to give me two," Gottfried replied.

Lena was speechless as she watched him return to the hospital, with a subtle arrogance in his gait she was certain hadn't been there before.

Shaking herself out of the strange spell, Lena bashfully smiled at her driver and quickly gathered the bag of supplies she'd abandoned in her banter with Gottfried. But before she could fully succeed, the young man reached for the bag handle with a disapproving tut.

"You shouldn't be carrying such heavy things, Fräulein," he chastised reverently. Lena was grateful when he took the bag from her, for it seemed to grow more and more weighted as the moments passed.

The gentle rolling motion of the carriage was a welcome relief from the strain of remaining standing outside the hospital, but after several minutes, the rocking sensation seemed to grow jarringly uncomfortable, almost as if the very earth was shaking.

She felt her stomach seizing before she could process, and an unmistakable pressure began to move upward from deep in her belly.

She was going to be sick.

"Stop the carriage, I beg you," Lena cried, bringing her hand to her mouth. She could hear the horses protesting outside with disgruntled whinnies, but she was too nauseous to care. Before the driver could dismount and assist her, Lena ungracefully flung herself out of the carriage for the second time that day.

She frantically looked around the busy square, hoping desperately to find a place for her sickness that was at least somewhat well-concealed. But there seemed to be people everywhere, moving in every direction.

There was nowhere for her to hide.

But out of the corner of her eye, Lena noticed the very same hotel where Ava and Dot had taken a nap the day prior.

She ran towards it with all of the strength remaining in her body, emptying the contents of her purse for the attendant outside. She looked around the ornate lobby in desperation, feeling more and more unsteady as her stomach continued to boil, and she gasped in relief when she found the women's powder room.

No longer caring for any semblance of public decency, Lena ran inside of the lounge and locked herself in the nearest private stall, and heaved until she felt as if her body had been turned inside out.

"My dear, are you all right?" a soft voice asked from beyond the door.

Lena froze, not quite trusting her ears to identify the speaker.

"Shall I send a doctor for you?" the voice gently queried.

Lena wiped her face with a nearby cloth, and fearfully stepped outside of the stall.

And standing next to the vanity, elegantly styled in a magnificent garnet gown fit for an empress, was Renz's former wife.

"You look as if you've seen a phantom, Lena. Whatever has you so distressed?" Ilise asked.

There was somethingdifferent about seeing Ilise in the daylight, without the comforting shroud of inebriation. If possible, Ilise looked even more beautiful than she had two nights prior, utterly...perfect, and Lena felt wholly intimidated.

Another wave of nausea swept through her body, but Lena knew she couldn't vomit again — there was nothing left in her stomach. She swayed on her feet, but before she could fall, Ilise reached forward and tenderly held her upper arms, like a mother comforting a child, gently guiding her out of the powder room.

"You poor dear, youmust rest for spell before you continue on your journey. In fact, I have a suite here in this very hotel you may use," Ilise offered.

Even though her words were generous, Lena's insides constricted in fearful warning.

She needed to return to Schloss Wolfenbarger.

"That's very kind of you Ilise, but—"

"Nonsense, Lena, I insist. Herr Schneider, please send a maid to my room immediately. I have a guest joining me, and we'd like to enjoy some tea in no more than ten minutes," Ilise calmly ordered a nearby attendant.

Lena closed her eyes for a few seconds, in an attempt to steady her dizziness. But when she opened her eyes again, Lena was once more overcome with the feeling that she had forgotten something.

Somehow, they'd already left the lobby of the hotel, and were now inside of a staggering penthouse suite. Had she temporarily...fainted? Lena was somewhat comforted to find a young maid arranging tea and sandwiches in the informal dining room.

But too soon, the maid disappeared, and Lena was once more alone with Ilise.

And terrified.

Lena made a motion towards the doors, but she lost her balance and immediately fell to the floor. Her legs and arms shook as she tried to pull herself towards the exit, as if all of the strength had left her body.

To her embarrassment, two elegant hands were soon at her elbows, gently and firmly guiding her to a silk sofa.

"You poor dear, youmust rest," Ilise said kindly, fanning a large blanket over Lena's body. Lena struggled to sit up and protest, but Ilise moved too fast for her, removing her heeled shoes before she could stop her.

"You're very kind, but...this isn't seemly, Ilise," Lena said weakly. A well-arched eyebrow suddenly rose.

"Well I won't tell if you won't, Lena," Ilise replied teasingly. Her voice was airy and playful, but something about the look in her eyes filled Lena with alarm. To tired and ill to argue, Lena resolved to try and conserve her strength just enough to plan her escape.

"There, now that's a good girl. Just relax for a few moments, and I'll send you on your way. Would you like to join me for a cup of tea?" Ilise asked. Lena immediately shook her head.

"No, thank you—"

"Lena, Imust insist. This is a very special blend all the way from the natives of the West, and I take it with me everywhere I go. Do you know what's special about this tea, Lena?" Ilise asked.

Lena watched warily as Ilise placed the pink and white tea set in front of her, daintily preparing two artful cups with graceful ceremony. The aroma of the tea leaves quickly filled the room, a seductively sweet bouquet of exotic flowers and fruits, with a hidden spice.

"I don't know...what is it?" Lena asked eventually. Ilise reached for the cup closest to her and took a soft sip, her long, laced fingers elegantly extended across the hand painted china. Her lips charmingly bowed as she savored the flavor, and a playful gleam twinkled in her vibrant green eyes.

"It is a healing tea. It is said that it can cure any malady. Some say it is the antidote to aging," Ilise explained whimsically.

There seemed to be a distant sadness in Ilise's voice, similar to the way she'd spoken about Renz just two nights prior. And once again, Lena was filled with that same sense of inexplicable guilt, and she felt compelled to apologize for an unknown transgression.

"But clearly you have no need for anything like that," Lena mentioned sincerely. Ilise smiled kindly.

"You're a sweet girl, Lena. But a terrible liar. Youth is a fleeting gift. Do enjoy yours for as long as you can," Ilise replied.

A strange pause overcame the elaborate suite, disrupted only by the hypnotic aroma of the exotic tea. Even though her cup remained untouched, Lena did feel somewhat calmed and strengthened just by the steady current of steam.

"I'm surprised Renz allowed you to travel to town. Especially with all of the crime in this area," Ilise added eventually. Lena spoke before she could stop herself.

"Well...he's unaware, actually. But I reckon he'll be furious when I return," Lena murmured. Ilise's eyes briefly widened.

"Well aren't you the rebellious girl," Ilise teased. Lena shook her head.

"I'm really not. There was an emergency, is all," Lena defended. Ilise softly tutted.

"An emergency that any number of the dozens of servants of Schloss Wolfenbarger could have handled on their own, I imagine. Tell me...just what was so important?" Ilise asked.

Lena sighed and brought her hand to her forehead. Some instinct deep within told her she should lie, but it was quickly shrouded by a stronger impulse for candor.

"Frau Wolfenbarger...she had her baby last night," Lena said. Ilise gasped.

"You mean, Ava? Ludovic's wife? I hadno idea they were even in contact! How is she? How is the child?" Ilise asked.

A haunting image of the bloody, still bundle flickered back into Lena's mind, and she released a soft cry of anguish before she could suppress it.