The Knave of Jacks Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Oh, geez." said Michael Burke.

"Something wrong, Mr. Burke?" asked Bedford, a frown forming on his face.

"Only that the two persons you mentioned are some of the most inept persons for that kind of task." said Burke. "The Iron Crowbar has already shown them up, several times."

"Yes, that's true." said Bedford. "And that's exactly why they'll be useful to us in that capacity. They are the so-called 'useful idiots' that men at our level use for our gain, and then we can discard them like kleenex when they are used up. All of you are beginning to rise in the levels of the so-called 'New World Order'; it's important that you understand this."

After Bedford told them some of his plans for Ferrell and Cook, he began bringing the meeting to a close. "Is there anything else?" he asked.

"Just one thing." said Doug Jackson. "My son... was murdered, and I have pretty convincing evidence that P. Harvey Eckhart and his Cult were behind it. Of course he is related to the Iron Crowbar, and Eckhart is the father of the Iron Crowbar's closest associate, Captain Ross, so I expect no action from them. What I do want is to take my own action, and make that old bastard pay for what he and his little cult trolls did to my son."

Michael Burke said "I also have a strong beef with Eckhart for what he did to Eleanor, my previous wife. He helped the Iron Crowbar use Eleanor to murder my son's brother, and of course the Iron Crowbar and his wife crossed my path in the matter of Ivy Starnes."

"I understand." said Bedford. "I understand how both of you feel. I'll just say this: you two can and should plan what to do together, but on your own. I'll give what support I can, but for the most part, I'll have to keep out of it. Do let me and my associates know before you take any action, so that we can protect ourselves. Provided you give us ample lead time, you have carte blanche to take your own actions."

Burke and Jackson nodded, hearing what they had wanted to hear.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"So, Jeanine," said Roberta Jackson as they talked and held the babies, "how are things with you and Michael?"

"Oh, good." said Jeanine. "We're trying for a baby of our own, but so far no luck. I guess with these things you never know."

"Yes, that's true." said Roberta. "And of course, you'll do anything to protect your children, yes?"

"Well... yes, of course." said Jeanine, a bit stunned and nonplussed at Roberta's words.

"Jeanine..." said Roberta, her eyes boring into the younger woman's, "do you know why our husbands are here?"

"Uh... Michael said he had meetings with your husband and some others." said Jeanine. "I didn't really ask for specifics; I let him do his business and I do mine."

"Are you still practicing law?" asked Roberta.

"Yes." said Jeanine, rocking little Todd Michael Burke in her arms as he was falling asleep. "I've been doing some real estate law up near Lake Amengi-Nunagen. Home and property sales up there have been slow for years, but it's starting to pick up, and I'm well-placed to take advantage of that and handle the contracts."

"Yes." said Roberta. "A lot of Government people up there, I would imagine, with it being an W.M.A.?"

"Yeah, but... most of them are over at Lake Watchacoochie." said Jeanine. "And a good number of the people coming into our area are friends of Michael. He recommended they come up."

"Yes, yes." said Roberta. "Has Michael talked to you about doing more legal work for him, and perhaps for organizations that my husband and I are a part of?"

"No, he hasn't mentioned anything." Jeanine said. "What organizations are those?"

Roberta exhaled, then started in: "We, and many of our friends, are a loose association of people dedicated to keeping American values... pure. Our values, especially as Christians, are being trampled upon by an increasingly intrusive Government that not only dictates to us who we have to do business with and how we can worship, but also chooses other religions... cults, actually... to have domination over us. Our children are forced in school to learn Muslim prayers, but if anyone says a Christian prayer they are severely punished, and even expelled from school."

Roberta continued: "And despite being in the majority, we are constantly being forced to yield our rights and values, as well as our money in confiscatory taxation, to minorities that only consume it, don't produce a damn thing, and then demand more and more and more. Go into any Government office outside of a Police Department, and you will see almost all minorities running those offices... and most incompetently, at that."

"No," said Jeanine, rather sharply, "My husband has not spoken of those things to me at all. And if he did, I would shut any talk of that kind down."

"I see." said Roberta. "Well, if he does bring it up to you, I hope you will keep an open mind about what is happening in our country, and what is being done to your children's futures. If you'll excuse me a moment..." With that, Roberta Jackson got up and left for her own suite, leaving Jeanine very unsettled.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Hello, Captain." Detective Theo Washington said as he came into the office of Precinct Captain Damien Thompson at the Old Mill Building that housed Precinct 2.

"Hello, Theo. Have a seat." said Thompson. "How are things at Headquarters?"

"Pretty slow, actually." said Theo, sitting down. "Most of the talk is about football. You wouldn't believe how Commander Troy and Captain Ross go at it over the Bulldogs and the Wildcats."

Thompson chuckled. "Yes, they're both very passionately loyal... to those things they decide are worth being loyal to. Let me ask you something, just between you, me, and the lamp-post... and speaking freely: what do you think the Commander's feelings are on racial issues? His true feelings?"

"He's straight up." said Theo. "No racism in him at all. By the way, you do know he's the baby-daddy of Paulina Patterson's daughter?"

"What?" Thompson exclaimed, his eyes wide with surprise. "No... I didn't know that."

"It's not advertised, but it's an open secret at Headquarters, and we all know." said Theo. "And the Commander makes no bones of it; Tasha's picture is on his desk with his other kids' pictures."

Thompson's voice was full of shock as he said "Wow. Wonder what his wife thinks of that..."

"She's good with it, from what I understand." said Theo. "I understand they have something of an open marriage. She can't have children anymore, so she's understanding of her husband having three other kids by other women."

Thompson nodded. "That would rock this Town, but it's good to know. But more in general, what do you think of the Commander's attitudes? If racial issues started being ginned up in this Town, how would he react?"

"Speaking freely," said Theo, "he's what we call 'color-blind'; he thinks everyone should be treated equally and have equal opportunity. That in itself is good, but sometimes I think he believes the playing field is level, when we of course know that it's not."

"True enough." said Thompson. "Okay, let me tell you some things in return. I think you and I are both smart enough to know that some of the racial things being ginned up in our cities are not spontaneous. Some incident happens, and then there's a group of people coming in and ginning things up, and once they have the mob mentality going, they step back and let the killing and fires and carnage happen... and of course the Media is right there filming every bit of it... the parts they want the Nation to see."

"And of course it's the poor black areas that get burnt out, never the white or wealthy black areas." said Theo. "Maximum publicity, but they never attack the people with the money; that would bring the hammer down."

Thompson said "Yes, that's the blueprint. What I'm beginning to get information on... is that someone is trying to lay groundwork to gin that sort of stuff up right here in our Town. In the Tenderloin District. I don't think T-Square is part of it; it looks like outsiders, maybe linked to the Government. I do know where I stand on it: I will be at the front of the Police lines opposing any rioters."

"And you'll have help." said Theo. "Help carrying a crowbar. The I.C. is not going to put up with any shit. He's pretty much told us that--- oh, don't tell anyone I told you that; it was said in confidence."

"Don't worry, I won't." said Thompson. "I'm going to brief him on what I know at our next Precinct meeting. I just wanted your input on where he stands. And for that matter... where do you stand, Theo?"

Theo said "We black police officers are caught in the middle, disrespected by both sides, attacked by both sides. But for me... if the Iron Crowbar could stand up to Wargrave and Westboro, and to the White Supremacists in his boyhood town... I can stand with him."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"It's official." said Lt. Teresa Croyle as she came into my office. "Lorena Rose took a job with the Los Angeles Police Department. I just got my copy of her email."

"I just saw it, too. Have a seat." I said. As Teresa sat down, I continued: "Claire Michaels took her from us, swooped her up. Can't say I blame her; Lorena's good. But once Sharples outed her, she was pretty much done here."

"Yes sir, that's true." Teresa said. "So if I may go right over my Captain's head and ask you directly: what are we doing for replacements?"

"Not much we can do." I said. "You now have Grubby Paul, Christopher Purvis, Tim Geiger, and access to Sonali and Krueger. 'Coldiron' has Theo, Joanne, Teddy, and access to Lainie and Krueger. Diana Torres was hired to be a C.S.I. by Tanya Perlman."

"All of my guys are well known to the Criminal Community." said Teresa. "It's getting harder and harder to find people to do undercover work. We have willing Officers, but they have to be trained up, and a lot of them can't cut it. And some that might be good, aren't interested in the Detective Track."

"True, that." I said. "Okay, so why did you really come into my office?"

Teresa did not bat an eyelash as she said "I was going to fill you in on the Jaime Silver situation, as my Captain is not in her office right now. We got an anonymous tip that Silver is setting up some tables in a back room of a building on the south side of North Street, say that three times fast. It's part of a series of strip malls, with a narrow alleyway behind the buildings and another series of malls facing Post Office Street."

Post Office Street ran parallel to North Street, which was the road that led east and west to the highway leading west out of Town, and to University Avenue at it's east end. The Post Office was once on that road, until they built the Federal Building and put the new Post Office inside it.

"Sir," said Teresa, "There may be a couple of underground tunnels that can provide quick escapes from the back of the building. The basement room that we think the casinos are going to be in may have an access to those tunnels, and there are a couple more manholes in the alleyway behind the buildings."

"Why does it not surprise me that you checked that out?" I said with a sardonic chuckle.

"SWAT Team likes to know those things." said Teresa. No words were needed to know that Teresa was the de facto leader of the SWAT Team; she was training with them while trying to keep that a secret from me. Of course, it's not easy to keep secrets from Your Iron Crowbar, but I tacitly approved of it by letting it happen.

"Good." I said. "That may come in handy. So, what do you want to do?"

Teresa replied: "First, we're going to need someone to go undercover, go into the rooms and see what's there. Maybe they can have a small camera, but they'll be checked for wires, so we need two people. Problem is, I got word that 'The Teacher' was consulted by Jaime Silver's people, which means they'll know who every police officer is by eyesight."

The Teacher, who was the true power in the Tenderloin District, had photos of every Police Officer, every Mall Security person, every Bank Guard, loddy doddy everybody who was in Law Enforcement and Security in the Town & County, as well as the University. And for a 'nominal' fee, he'd train perps to be able to spot those law enforcement persons.

"I wonder if I could sneak in there." I mused, then grinned when I saw the look of shock on Teresa's cute face. "Well, maybe not. But I do have in mind a couple of people that might be able to help us. When do you think they'll open the casino?"

"We're thinking this weekend. Friday night will probably be opening night." said Teresa. "We'll know for sure when we see expensive cars dropping off people."

"You know..." I mused again, "... I wonder why they'd be operating in Town like that. It'd be better if... if they were doing it at one of the better homes in one of the good neighborhoods."

"Those aren't that far from this location." said Teresa. "Think this is a feint?"

"Hmmm..." I said. "Hmmm..." After a moment, I realized I'd gone into a reverie. Teresa was watching: having had fewer opportunities than Cindy to see me like this, she was studying me closely.

"Okay," I said, "see if you can confirm with some people about the casino party. Might I suggest that one Todd Burke and his wealthy associates might have information that would be useful to you..."

"I've already asked, and he's keeping his ears open for me." said Teresa...

Part 5 - Torture's Other Name: Meetings

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" blared the lovely redheaded reporterette on Wednesday, September 21st, at 7:00am sharp. "Public Health Officer Loran Michaels will be giving a press conference today, and Channel Two News has learned that he will be receiving the endorsements of several prominent local politicians, including those of State Senator Katherine Woodburn, Council Members Thomas P. Cook and Kelly Carnes, and the People's Choice: Mayor Larry P. Vaughan."

Bettina continued: "The Woodburn and Carnes endorsements are a devastating blow to Sheila Sorrells, whose candidacy is based upon women's issues. Meanwhile, new polls compiled by Karl Frazier's Public Policy Polling show that District Attorney Gil Krasney has opened a 56-42% lead over Jenna Stiles, and sources tell Channel Two News that the Stiles campaign is almost completely out of funds and unable to buy any more advertising. In the Governor's race, incumbent Val Jared maintains a 49-46% lead over SBI Director Jack Lewis, but experts say that Lewis is closing the gap as Election Day nears. And now let's go to Nick Eastwood for Sports. Nick!"

"Thank you, Bettina!" said handsome young blonde Nick Eastwood, with the Booker T. Washington High School stadium behind him. "The students and alumni of Booker T. Washington High are excited after their 3-0 start, led by star quarterback Benjamin Hill. Hill, a Senior, will have plenty of college scouts watching him as BTW attempts to win a Region title for the first time in fifteen years!..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The 'C-Level' meeting began in the Main Conference Room at 9:00am. Going clockwise around the table, present were: Chief Moynahan, Deputy Chief Harlow, Sheriff Allgood, Lt. Masters, Myself, Captain Ross, Lt. Croyle, and Supervisor Myron Milton.

"I appreciate you inviting me here today." said Sheriff Allgood.

"As long as you're bringing doughnuts like these," said Teresa, holding up the one she was presently consuming, "come on by any time." We all chuckled.

"I do want to let you all know of a couple of things, political type things." said Daniel. "With Lorena Rose and Diana Torres leaving, we're getting short-handed in the Detectives Division. I don't know how the Council finds out these things so quickly, but they've already called and asked how we're going to integrate Detectives into the Precincts."

Everyone looked at me. "Don't look at me." I said. "I just work here." That did not help the mood of the room.

"Sheriff," said Chief Moynahan, "in my most previous discussions with Council Members, there was not enough support for dispersing the Detectives into the Precincts."

"They're not talking dispersal." said the Sheriff. "They're talking hubs and spokes... and priority assignments. For example, Detective Washington's desk would be in MCD, he would work out of there, out of this Headquarters... but he'd be primarily assigned to 2nd Precinct crimes. Detective Cummings might be primarily assigned to 3d Precinct Crimes, and so on."

"And how does that work for Vice?" asked Lt. Croyle, in her most acid 'Teresa Cunt' voice. "Last I checked, the drug runners and the gun runners aren't respecting Precinct lines."

"That's true, Lieutenant." Daniel said, trying to keep his voice as affable as possible. "There's no way to avoid running your operations out of one hub. However, certain Council Members have asked if that hub has to be in Police Headquarters... or closer to where the crimes are being committed?"

"Which is where?" asked Cindy, acidly.

"Wherever T-Square is." Daniel Allgood said.

"Harrumph." replied Cindy, her ice-blue eyes blazing with cold heat. "Teresa got shot up in the Industrial District three times, twice on drug raids. The Iron Crowbar whipped Sergei Molotov in the Warehouse District. Dirty Lennie and Sharples were trying to run diamonds through that same district. I seem to not be able to remember something ugly happening in a gym on the north side of Town. None of this being anywhere near the Tenderloin District, I might add."

"Your point is taken." said the Sheriff. "Look, nothing has happened yet. Until the election to fill Westboro's seat happens, the ones who are friendly to us are in the majority. But they're talking. And I'm giving you guys a chance to make a counter-plan that they'll accept."

Nobody was buying that for a minute, and rightly so. They were all looking at me. I was looking at the ceiling. I then looked back down and around the room. "Stop worrying." I said. "Your mission will be where I tell you it is to be, your assignment and cases will be the ones Captain Ross or myself give to you."

I went on: "And you may be assured that if the Council wants to give you shit about where you're working a case, they will have to go through me and then through the Green Crowbar. I'm not giving much for their chances in either case. We've got too much work to do to solving crimes to worry about the Council's political shit. And yes, Sheriff, I hope you will tell them every word of that. Verbatim."

Sheriff Allgood looked around, noticing how my declaration that I would be backing up my people had instilled relief in them. "Okay," he said, "we'll move on. So what's going on about this gambling operation coming into Town?"

Chief Moynahan said "We're getting particulars now on it, Sheriff. I believe the Iron Crowbar is spinning his web, even as we sssspeeeeak." I smiled.

"We're checking with Confidential Informants now, Sheriff." I said. "When we find out where they're basing their operations, we'll set up a sting."

"Is Thomas Cook involved in any way?" asked the Sheriff. I looked over at Teresa, who understood my desire for her to answer.

"Sheriff," Teresa said, "we think one of his properties is a possible location for the casino being set up. However, we also believe that it may be a feint, and the real casino is being set up elsewhere."

"Okay." said the Sheriff. "Keep me in the loop on this. If we can bust Cook, I'd be a happy man."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

After that meeting, the Sheriff 'invited' the Chief, me, and Captain Ross to another meeting. We moved to the Chief's Conference Room, as Della had reserved the Main Conference Room for a huge pow-wow with the Admin Personnel from all the Precincts.