All Comments on 'The Letter'

by Vulcez

Sort by:
  • 105 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
I was going to tell you

(1) how much I enjoyed your submission, (2) that it hit a good balance of humor and sadness, (3) how it captured the husband's feelings, (4) how well it was constructed, (5) how the usual signs of lack of education were, thankfully, absent, and (6) how the wife's subdued reaction to the confession was not quite believable, but you asked me not to, so I won't.

Rich

cloacascloacasabout 14 years ago
Not bad

A little over-written, meaning the dialogue often sounded forced and unnatural and you tend to use too many words. Like: "Ruth turned sharply on the stairs and held her clenched fist at his nose looking down at him from the steps above. Her eyes flashed with mock indignation and she purred..." It's kind of a stilted picture glammed up with vivid words that don't really convey meaningful detail. If you want the whole image, try something like "Ruth stood above him and touched her fist to his nose. Her eyes flashed in indignation. And then she purred ..." You blow the payoff by inserting the word "mock."

You could cut pieces out of most sentences. I would reduce the last paragraph to something like: John straightened and said, "Yes, ma'am!" and then, his voice growing husky, "Let's hit the shower while that picture is in my mind." I have no idea what "gushed" means except it's not a pretty image. You repeat the word "ass" about 4 words apart. You have the guy talk like he's on a soap opera where everything has to be spelled out.

Like I said, not bad; you combined two solid emotional pictures and drafted two characters who were more than cardboard. Work less on finding vivid words and more on plain description and you'll get there.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
Thank You!

This puts cheating wives or husbands stories in their true light, while sex is the best expression of love, the harm it does when cheating ruins lives. Very moving, fun and serious at the same time, thanks and keep writing.

zed0zed0about 14 years ago
Unbelievable!!!

I can't believe the wife kept him around, she must be some kind of democrat. Kind of a reverse on same old "Life/Soul partner randomly decides to fuck someone else, and the cheated spouse manages to wimp out, I mean work through it." The story itself was well told and a good read, I actually understood their relationship and why she kept him around even if I didn't agree with it. I think you should chop up your paragraphs a little more so they are not so long. To me wimp women are somewhat more palatable than wimp males, (but not by much). Over all I like to see the cheaters dead in an ally like the slut wife Sadie/Mary, so now Ben has a grave he can spit, piss, or shit upon, instead of wimping out and taking the whore back.

PistolpackinpetePistolpackinpeteabout 14 years ago
I guess it coulda happened this way...

....how do you define "enabler"??

bruce22bruce22about 14 years ago
Interesting Story

Forgetting about the requirement that all sinners be punished violently we

can note that the mechanism of salvation could have been a story on this site! True she was foolish to play provocateur with him if she did not want to resurrect the marraige......

Ducky7Ducky7about 14 years ago
Good read with feeling and all

I am not sure I can agree that she can have a relationship and him not but that is not for this story. I liked the ending with the agenda.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
dream

And then he woke up and had to face the real world.

gatorhermitgatorhermitabout 14 years ago
Good story, thoughtful and realistic

IRL I'm not sure the wife would have forgiven him until after she heard or read The Letter. However, I liked the story and the character development. Kind of refreshing almost to have the shoe on the other foot after reading seeing all of the cuckold man titles that have infected this site, in fact, Mary sure had severe and sad consequences associated with her fling.

jiminabjiminababout 14 years ago
I liked it

very much. Thank you for the effort. Jim

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
Well, Vulcez

Compared to some of the new writers lately and their cuckold wimpy trash stories, this is refreshing. This story fits into the category "loving wives" unlike the trash posted lately and dumped into this genre. Although the plot was original and the concept of the characters were okay, I have to agree somewhat with another reader "cloacas". You're trying to hard with words to describe incidents and normal speech between your characters. Ease off a little bit and make your characters sound like normal people. Remember you're writing a short story not a novel, so it isn't necessary to be so descriptive. Other than that, welcome to Literotica and keep on writing. Like the saying goes, "practice makes perfect". This is not a bad first attempt and all criticism is meant to be helpful . Thanks. ML

Harryin VAHarryin VAabout 14 years ago
fabulous ....

well written realisitic with great character development

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
The other side

So often we read cuckold stories in this section and also the pain inflicted on the husband when the wife stray. This is one of the rare story about a husband that stray and worked himself back to his wife and marriage. The author painted a believable story as the character involved are realistic and plausible. Not many husband will be willing to accept his punishment.

There should be more story of this nature as the statistic pointed that more men committed adultery than women.

Stories on the sufferring of the women and maybe finding new life with another person or the regret of the ex husband for the pain that he had caused his wife and family.

Currently it is mostly one sided.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
awesome

Well written story that kept your interest. I found it creative and well crafted. Thank you for sharing this story with us.

C_frommnC_frommnabout 14 years ago
Very Good Story

Like the whole story. but the part about the Letter is really Compelling.

digdaddyrichdigdaddyrichabout 14 years ago
A well done story

Well written and entertaining to read. Sad in respect to the woman that was murdered, and yet the story still had a good ending.

Thanks for the good read.

Vulcan_in_OhioVulcan_in_Ohioabout 14 years ago
Enjoyed this one . . .

Refreshing to read something original with good emotional content, good writing, good ideas, good . . . you get the picture. Thanks for writing.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
Poignant story

This is a story with a different twist - of a straying husband realising his folly because of events occuring in his work situations. Luckily the wife can accept reconciliation as an outcome; not revenge or non forgiveness. Great story.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
Well Done

with a very nice twist as someone else noted. However, you need to stay in closer touch to your story line. With just one reading, if I am not mistaken, you made a serious error in the time frame of events about the letter - that is, when he took it to the husband and when he read it two days before confessing to his wife.

sexmatesexmateabout 14 years ago
Wow that was on the different side of things!

I truly enjoyed it.

This story was on the closer to reality side.

So it hit home good! The writing was good and flowed well.

Sorry Mary's life ended like it did.

Thanks for an enjoyable read!

& Thanks for writing!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
Very well done!

The first story of yours I have read, and I enjoyed it very much. It had a reality to it that few do. Life often teaches us lessons, if we bother to see and relate.

Thanks for sharing your work.

DanielQSteele1DanielQSteele1over 13 years ago
Good touching story

This was a very good, touching story. A lot of readers, if they're being fair, would say the wife should never have forgiven the cop husband - once a cheater, always a cheater, etc. But forgiveness is possible. And it was great to work a tragedy into a story with a happy ending. But in real life, sometimes it happens that way.Sometimes people do learn from others' mistakes and tragedies. Good story

Mongo837Mongo837over 13 years ago
Very good

you write in a different and refreshing style . Very well done and realistic . Bad things can sometimes be a good wake up call and often is .

JakeDKJakeDKover 13 years ago
I never did understand..

.. how anyone could forgive a person who cheated on them for months and months. A relationship is not just about love, it's just as much about respect and trust. Imagine being married to a person who would always place themself first and you, your marriage and your family second. Imagine being married to a person who forgets you, your feelings and the vows they have made because someone praises them and strokes their ego. Imagine being married to a person who breaks the vows they have made to you in front of your friends and family, vows they promised to uphold until the end of their lives. Where's the respect? How could you ever truly trust a person who would put themself first like that or a number of other ways. How could you ever truly trust someone who willingly and knowingly would do something to hurt you, even the tiniest bit, for their own pleasure.

If you are unhappy in a marriage your partner deserves to be made aware of it - they deserve a chance to make things right if they are at fault. They have a right to know your feelings, and I know of no man or woman who's a mindreader, so you have to tell them and make them aware..

Love doesn't conquer all, people who believe that are the kind of people who are afraid to be alone in my opinion. Without respect and trust love is nothing but heartache.

I'm not saying cheating is unforgivable or that it's is impossible for two people to reconcile, it depends on what has happened, is it a one-night-stand or a longterm affair? Is it the first time he/she cheated? Did the cheater admit to it before or after he/she got caught? Did he/she admit to it at all? John's redeeming action in this story is that he admitted it before he got confronted with it and before he knew Ruth knew about his affair. He also presents evidence that he is penitent when he shows Ruth the letter. I do, however, feel that Ruth forgave him waaay too easily, but then the Author didn't go into great detail about how she delt with his cheating.

Mousse9Mousse9over 13 years ago

An emotionally powerful story (especially because of the "Sad Sadie" element). And one of the rare few stories on Loving Wives where it's the husband who cheats, and not the wife.

I do think Ruth forgave John FAR too quickly, on the same day he confessed! Make him sweat for AT LEAST a week or something! Make him work for it, make him SHOW he's trying to make it up to her! And no, giving her great sex doesn't really count, that's not exactly a punishment.... Still, there are two points in his favor.

One, he confessed without her or anybody else confronting him or trying to blow the whistle on him.

Two, the reason WHY he confessed. Sad Sadie. A literal "what if" possible outcome of his own cheating. I am reminded of A Christmas Carol, and it's John seeing his own version of "Christmas Yet To Come". A very visceral "This can happen to you, John!" staring him in the face.

And I believe Ruth understands that as well.

It feels weird to say it, but the Loving Wives section needs more cheating husband stories, to compare with cheating wives stories...

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Wait on just a Second . . . What about her ?

He's the villain ? for having an affair with Gina

.

meanwhile she is continuing her liaison with Celia, " Hot Loving and Private".

Scorpio44Scorpio44over 13 years ago
A different look at "cheating"

I admire your imagination and your writing ability. The story was well put together and began with a great opening. Well done.

Thank you.

DWornockDWornockalmost 13 years ago
I gave it a 3 because

The story was too hard to read. Actually, if I only read rambling and if I cannot find a story within the first 1000 words or so, I quit reading.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 13 years ago

I didn't think it was that bad. My only real complaint would be that she forgave too quickly. Not saying that she should have gotten "revenge" because that never works, but at least making HIM work for it.

But I like that he ended the affair and came clean. And the tie-in to Sad Sadie was good.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago

She forgave him far too quickly, only complaint I have about this story.

chytownchytownover 12 years ago
Great Read!!!!!

Thanks for sharing.

rvwsrvwsover 12 years ago
Great story;

5 Stars, all the way.

This was an excellent story. Lots of emotion, a great plot, not too many words and a wonderful ending.

Thank you.

tazz317tazz317over 12 years ago
HIS BABY LEFT HIM A LETTER

with a partial explanation of her actions. By her knowing him so well and herself better. Life goes to the forgivers. TK U MLJ LV NV

norcal62norcal62over 12 years ago
Strange, only one comment on the throwaway reference to the wife's infidelity.

With all the fawning over the "good story" how did the last part get ignored?

Didn't like much of the story. Too contrived.

LickideesplitLickideesplitover 12 years ago
A 3 from DWormcock

Highest commendation. (or a real insult - I think I'd rather get one of his '1's) I agree her staircase comment about CJ was 'artistic license!' also agree that overwriting is much worse than underwr

VulcezVulcezover 12 years agoAuthor
Finally!

Stalking_Anon gets an "A" for the course

betrayedbylovebetrayedbyloveabout 12 years ago
Cheating husbands suck also

She had every right to throw his cheating jerkoff ass to the curb. She didn't

She forgave him and let him earn his way back.

He deserved more punishment.

HA

AnonymousAnonymousabout 12 years ago
betrayal

a thick cock lustily smoked, a cornhole buggered, betrayed!

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
Very good

Very realistic. Now if it had been the wife cheating...............hooboy!

phil2213phil2213about 11 years ago
People do stupid things and cheating is a form of murder.

Story was effectively written to provide blockbuster pain emotion and extensive description. The husband at least confessed his betrayal and he was lucky to have a very loving compassionate and forgiving wife. The inclusion of the letter was creative and added a whole new level to an already great story. Although very simple the story was a slam dunk of a very serious situation of a marriage on life support exposing a naked emotional truth of two deeply in love partners. Thank you for your genius in this effort!

Drbeamer3333Drbeamer3333about 11 years ago
Loved it

He is one lucky bastard.

jackfrostedjackfrostedabout 11 years ago
good story

Truly liked the story, plot and gripping letter. My only question is where are the BTBastard crowd?

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 11 years ago
An excellent effort by this author.

I apreciate most the understated description of sexual acts. There is not an iota of perversion that most writers on this site display. Well done.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Okay story except one point

In regards to the "letter". Even a bad PI finds the wife in a week or less. Get the sister's phone records and back track to the wife. Done.

AmbivalenceAmbivalencealmost 10 years ago
Kind of bittersweet but good...

Two points...referencing the last poster, the story never said she was IN touch with her sister but rather that when the came she would BE in touch THROUGH her...

But... putting up flyers with her picture would have made some difference... While true she could have been far far away... since the detective found the husband readily enough, there couldn't really have been much distance between them...

Layne_MichaelsLayne_Michaelsover 9 years ago

Sooo.... she has a girlfriend on the side and it is "HOT, loving, and private" but his affair is going to cause him to have to buy her a diamond ring?

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
Jeez!

All you people who cannot tolerate forgiveness, or think it should be prolonged and painful if you do deign to forgive. You continue to spout your objections to love and forgiveness or reconciliation. It sounds like you are so perfect in your own lives. Come on! Most of us cheat in one way or another throughout our lives whether we are caught or not. I don't know why I peruse the comments, as it is the same holier than thou opinions from the same people...anons...or not! I find the story realistic and beautiful as well as sad, especially concerning Mary and her husband. Oh well. Nothing is going to change, and I too read these fictional but lifelike stories from these great story tellers. . P.S. A very high percentage of officers cheat. I know this from spending over 45 years as one! Young male officers get both the opportunity and wear a uniform that denotes authority and power. Both attract women! I remember an old quote from a Captain of mine in Cadet class... "A whiskey glass and a Woman's Ass, will make a horse's Ass of you!" He had been demoted from Colonel just previously.

shadowdustershadowdusteralmost 9 years ago
So they both were cheating

He confessed and she gave him shit. and wants a new ring. He makes a joke and she get pissed off and tells that she has had a girl friend, and there is no way she will end it. But now it is out in the open she wll use it to put him down. And now it is out in the open she will brag when she goes out with her lover.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago
Excellent story up to the end

To find out that she was cheating on him makes her just as wrong as he was. Revenge cheating is never right and will not solve anything. Screw her and her wanting diamonds. Must mean that she will let him buy his way out of an affair. Cut her loose and move on. They will never be happy with each other again.

DrKenStoneDrKenStonealmost 9 years ago
What?

My impression is she did not have a girl friend, but was just being funny. Am I missing something here?

LickideesplitLickideesplitalmost 9 years ago
Loved it!

Again, this is one of a number of LIT missives that should be required marital reading ... probably around year 5-6 of marriage (and re-read every 5 years ... till death do thee part!

Sweetie's LezLover??? GMAFB!!! Hubby took a chance on a joke (risky at that point of reconciliation!) Sweetie TRUMPED Hubby's joke with her own spin!

Sweetie is as straight as an laser-beam!

Moral of their last exchange? First liar NEVER wins!

patilliepatillieover 8 years ago
Your witing is very good

Just read this and All My Fault, and have to say it was a wonderful discovery! Pls write more (and again).

sinsational83sinsational83over 8 years ago
ABSOLUTELY !!!!!

I have to say that this story is absolutely one of the best stories I have read on this site. It was very well written, and well put together you have a talent for writing. this story should be required reading for anyone planning on getting married. It may prevent people from making some stupid-assed mistakes before they try to make them. great fucking story and great job. hope to read more of your stories if they are anything as well as this one is. this one absolutely rates the 5 stars I gave it. It actually rates more but since five is all I had to give then that's what I gave.

laptopwriterlaptopwriterover 8 years ago
I really liked this.

It gets a 5 in my book any day.

betrayedbylovebetrayedbyloveabout 8 years ago
Damn

Sad tale about the woman found dead. Just goes to show that cheating is the worse thing to do. It ruins lives and families.

horny_gurl55horny_gurl55about 8 years ago
Excellent

one of the very best stories i have ever read .. keep this up and you will go far

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago

Meh,

It was ok until sadie.

I get it, she was a bad wife.

BUT, she was a mother. A mother does NOT abandon her children without a look back. A split home is better than no mother.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago

Cheaters suck weather it be male or female but personally I would never forgive if I found out about it on my own. The only very slim slim chance at forgiveness would be for a full confession . All the bad details weather they make the hurt worse or not. So I feel this story was because of all the real emotions

silentsoundsilentsoundover 7 years ago
Incredibly Sad

Good story anyway.

Very strong woman Ruth is.

ErotFanErotFanover 7 years ago
What a strong first offering!

You jumped right in to the 5 star milieu. Highly realistic story of failure and contrite reconciliation.

nancyharpman17nancyharpman17about 7 years ago
It Was Going Strong Until...

Why did John have to mention Celia Johansen? I now see castration in his very near future. You had a 5-star going. Lost one with the ending.

etchiboyetchiboyover 5 years ago
Wow! What a flash masterpiece

Instant 5-stars

SkibumSkibumover 5 years ago
Double standard?

Wait a minute. She has a “hot, loving, and VERY private” relationship with Celia, but his dalliance is forbidden?

26thNC26thNCover 5 years ago
Good story

I enjoyed that story. A really strong indictment of the cost of cheating.

Grimjack01Grimjack01over 4 years ago
Nice story

Shows the price of forgetting what's really important, I wish people would realize that it's soul destroying to have your faith and love crushed. I can tell you deep down you never really forget.5 stars.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
For Anyone Interested In David

Vulcez's stories he has a website (www.vulcez.com), the only stories the last time I checked are these seven although there is an archive that does contain some other things. It doesn't seem to have been updated since 2015 for some reason. Too bad because he wrote very good, unusual, clever stories. His "Ponderings" on the website are rather fun too. Signed: BTW

jtwheelsjtwheelsover 4 years ago
Cheating saw in bright light and not always possible to redo

Only drawback random killing mugging or?

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
To: Anonymous 12/16/19

David hasn't added any stories to his website, but he has added other content recently. He added a poem titled "Trapped" on the 4th of January 2020.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
The Usual - Great

It's a pity this talented author has stopped writing. Mary's story is tragic but so common.. Why do women fall for the flattery of a pussy hound?!! Tell us a story of a wife who rejects one and ends his effort with an insult and then bitch slaps the hell out of him! For this story, 5*s.

MormonJackMormonJackalmost 4 years ago
All good until the last

This was 5 stars until the last 2 paragraphs.... now I'm not going to rate it.

Maybe i misunderstand the whole bit about Celia, "Celia's and my relationship is HOT, loving and VERY private." Is the wife admitting to a lesbian relationship? Because if that is the case, she is worse that the husband. Lesbian relationships that are not consented by the husband, DO constitute cheating in a marriage - at least in my book.

jimjam69jimjam69over 3 years ago

Great story. Guy got smart quick and fortunate enough

LilacQueen15LilacQueen15over 3 years ago

Bittersweet story. Sad and beautiful.

26thNC26thNCover 3 years ago
Again

Great story with a serious message about the devastation and loss caused by a cheating wife.

muskyboymuskyboyabout 3 years ago

5/5, best of the best. So sad to see you are apparently gone. Please come back if you can. You are missed.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

I agree with muskyboy's words and in part with 26thnc - cheating by ANYONE is devastating. Actually, quite a few good comments about a good story. Morman jack - she was simply toying with his imagination, its safe to rate the story.

usaretusaretalmost 3 years ago

Perhaps a follower to her and Celia?

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Just read 7 excellent short stories.

Thanks where ever you are.

Cheers

a_reader_from_germanya_reader_from_germanyalmost 3 years ago

To me this is a masterpiece. In just 5k words the author not only tell us two stories of betrayal, showing us the worst and the best possible outcome of such behaviour. Through the dialog, the banter, the gestures between husband and wife he also gives us scetches of their personalities that the reader tends fills out. As a result I can relate to the bond between the two MCs and feel quite close to them myself. It makes the reconciliation believable. To achieve that so seemingly effortlessly and in such few words...

I read this tale before, and I tend to be more critical when re-reading something. But there's nothing there to take away from the first impression. Vulcez, you are missed.

betrayedbylovebetrayedbylovealmost 3 years ago

Damn

I hate cheating pricks. She should have divorced him. A circumstance made him see the light. He still needed to be punished more.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Cheating by either partner is awful, degrading, dishonorable and will almost certainly lead to divorce. He is a very, very lucky man.

Helen1899Helen1899over 2 years ago

26thNC got it spot on, I couldn't have put it better 5* great first story.

dirtyoldbimandirtyoldbimanover 2 years ago

I have read all your stories and they are SO good. Different and thought provoking. Thanks

CunnyLinguistTooCunnyLinguistTooover 2 years ago

A refreshingly different story, thanks for sharing it with us!

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

I’ve never given one author so many 5 star ratings as I felt I must to Vulcez.

Short or longer his stories are succinct and emotional.

Really good!

Bill S.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

An extremely entertaining, poignant and thought provoking little tale of betrayal and forgiveness. Ruth has all the best lines and raises the question of how any man in his right mind would risk losing such a rare and beguiling creature.

LA

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

I just finished reading all of your work. Very different from most of the tripe on this site and much appreciated! I wish you were still active here, obviously I’m not alone. Thank you

UncertainTUncertainTabout 2 years ago

Thank you, a good first story.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

ALL YOUR STORIES ARE EXCELLENT. GREAT IDEAS. YOUR SENSE OF KARMA IS COOL.

Mac_LapuMac_Lapualmost 2 years ago

If she divorced him I wouldn't have minded.

What if another Gina comes along then?

Or that door to Carla will begin opening in his mind?

Cheaters are always despicable people.

If someone does forgive them then it is on that someone.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

One of the best authors on this site. Too bad so few works.

SatyrDickSatyrDickover 1 year ago

[27.08.22]

1st swing - out of the park!

Excellent story!

11/10!!!!!

dougdorrdougdorrover 1 year ago

I've read all your stories here. Excellent writing. I am visiting your website looking for more. Thank you

fredbrownfredbrownover 1 year ago

Good story except for the sad story about Ben and Mary. and I see John as a dumb ass that lucked out. Some commentors seized upon "Celia" but it was John that brought her name up, Ruth made the reply of him having to imagine the "ff" action was a joke - showing things as being sort of forgiven but not forgotten. Story is a 5 in my opinion .......

oldtwitoldtwitover 1 year ago

WOW That’s a deep story, very well put together

AngelRiderAngelRiderover 1 year ago

Why is it when men are cheaters and forgiven the score is always 4 or higher? Couldn't possibly be misogyny could it?

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I would have given you a 5, until you got to the Sheila Johanson part, which should have come in much earlier, not as a tit for tat thing, but rather as a being honest about the important facts thing. I liked everything else!

Pjam1968Pjam1968about 1 year ago

She should have make him suffer. Dearly

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

The torture session of the wronged wife does not fit the rest of the story

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Lot of readers missed entirely the joke about her and Celia. Sigh. Try reading it again. Btw the mini story inside is unbelievably sad...

12
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userVulcez@Vulcez
Blues guitar playing, skiing, hiking junkie; I love classic rock music. I'm a veteran of that nasty Vietnam War and have made peace with my demons (well, most of them). Originally from Upstate NY now living in Colorado.