The Light Side of Death

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

After we burned all the bodies we waited for a few extra minutes for the others to arrive. When they arrived we all left together toward the city.

We now had a small army of our own traveling close to one another in our vehicles for safety. Everyone was nervous and knew exactly what to do. I laid down plans of the city the night before and explained what Johnny told me and where to get in the city. Everyone had their own special task to do according to their skills. We had plumbers, electricians, veterans, builders and much more between us. We could use their skills to stop and destroy this evil.

The next few days we all made turns to drive to get there earlier than we decided. After days of torturous traveling we finally arrived at the city. We parked our vehicles well out of sight and continued on foot. I could hardly believe that this was once my home; Archa City. It is built along a shore line. The city was once a beautiful place. It looked much like a prison now. Only a year has passed and the city has changed so much.

There are walls of concrete surrounding the whole city. The walls are at least ten feet high and thick enough for a passage to be built into it. Barbed wire surrounds the top of the wall on the outside and inside with a guards path in between. Men in military gear walked along the top of the walls armed with weapons.

'Right people, there is a sewer entrance to the north and to the south side of the city. I think it would be better if we split up from here into groups. Angela and Sarah will lead one group in and i will lead the other group. Stay alert and watch each other's backs. We don't know what horror we could face in there.' I said looking at the faces of the crowd in front of me.

We split into two equal sized groups and moved on to our positions. Angela, Sarah and i waited for everyone to get a head start.

'Be careful in there, both of you. I will meet you in the centre of the city in two hours.' I said giving Angela a passionate kiss then giving Sarah a tight squeeze.

'We will be careful baby. You be careful as well.' Angela said wrapping her arms around me.

Angela's arms felt like a vice gripping me, never wanting to let go of me. When Angela released her grip she stepped back after placing one gentle kiss on my lips. She turned around and started walking toward the group. Sarah stood in front of me with tears in her eyes. I was not prepared for what she said next. Those were the words that brought me back alive.

'Charlie i want you to know something.' Sarah said taking my hands into hers.

'What is it Sarah?' I asked with concern.

'I... you... if you were a man you would have been the best father ever. You are an even better mother. I love you... mom.' Sarah said to me wrapping her tiny arms around my chest.

'Oh, i love you to Sarah. I'm proud to be your father and mother. I love you as if you are my own. We will see each other again. I promise.' I said placing a kiss on Sarah's forehead while tears welled up in my eyes.

Sarah ran to catch up with Angela then i turned around catching up with my team. I knew it was a difficult promise to make but it was one i intended to keep. I knew that we will lose a few good people in there but i knew for a fact that my two girls and i will come out of this alive.

We stood in front of the sewer entrance staring into a dark abyss at the unknown, the warm old smell of death and rot wafting up our nostrils. As we entered the sewer we could feel the heat of a year and half's decay on our skins. It was like walking into an incubation chamber filled with rotting dead bodies. The group split into teams of three members as we reached manholes with ladders leading up to the streets of the city. Eventually i was the only one left.

Traveling in the sewer alone my senses were on extra alert mode. I could feel, hear, see and smell everything around me. I reached my destination and followed the ladder up to the manhole cover lifting it just enough to have a look around.

It was quiet and dark as far as i could see. I could hear growling not far from where i am. I pushed the cover to the side and climbed out of the sewer. It seems like i was in an alley. I was just around the corner of the city's government office where i know all the leading members were safely tucked away from harm.

Six of our people were surrounding the city planting explosives along the wall while the other teams of three were planting more explosives along the major buildings in the city. It took me an hour to get through the sewer unnoticed while proceeding to my destination. The others will leave the city the way we came in while Angela and Sarah will meet me on the other side of the government's office. I had to get to them unseen.

As i continued on my route i planted explosives. We are going to blow up this whole city as soon as my girls and i are safely outside the city walls.

Three armed guards are standing outside the back of the building. I can sense that Angela and Sarah are close. I can feel and hear them. I slowly crouched behind empty wooden crates closer to the three guards. One of them hears something on the opposite side of where i am. My instincts kicked into overdrive when i saw Angela and Sarah peeking over a dustbin.

I leaped from my cover and took out one guard closer to me by breaking his neck. The guard walking toward Angela and Sarah turned to me. He lifted his weapon to fire at me then Angela kicked him in the back with her knee breaking his spine.

The lonesome guard was about to fire at Angela and me when Sarah snuck up from behind him and sliced his throat with a knife i trained her with.

'Good job my girls.' I said hugging them in my arms.

'That was way too close for comfort.' Angela said looking at Sarah and me.

'Yeah, let's get out of here. I placed a few explosives on the other side of the building.' I said grabbing Angela and Sarah's hands into mine.

'We placed explosives on that side.' Sarah said running along with Angela and me.

We could feel that we lost a few members of our team that ran into zombies along the way. The rest of them were working their way back outside the city through zombies and gunfire.

Mike was among them fighting with all he had in him. The men around him were bruised, bloody and tired. They stuck close together in the sewer covering each other's backs while more of the volunteers joined them from different manholes from above. Feeling exhausted, they reached the entrance we used. They couldn't see us so waited a few more minutes that seemed to stretch into forever.

The three of us found ourselves trapped ahead by zombies. Behind us more men with weapons gathered pointing their weapons at us while shouting at us to surrender. We stopped in our tracks looking at each other. The zombies in front of us were edging closer to us, slowly with bruised, beaten and bleeding corpses smelling like rotting death. This was the moment we were training for. This was the moment we could really see what we could do. The three of us concentrated on the guards.

All of the guards started dropping their weapons, screaming of pain and agony as blood started seeping out their eyes, ears and mouths. They dropped to the ground dead like Ebola victims. We then turned our attention to the zombies while plucking our weapons from our bodies and fired our way through the walking dead. There are hundreds of them.

'There is a flood tunnel that leads to the ocean at the east side of the city. If we can get there we can get out of this city before we blow it.' I shouted over the loud gunshots.

'I agree, but with all this zombies we won't have enough ammunition to fight our way through. I suggest we find a place to hide out for a while, somewhere we can get ammunition.' Angela shouted back at me.

'Moms!' Sarah shouted at us.

'Yes dear.' Both Angela and i answered at the same time.

We briefly looked at each other with a smile them returned our attention at the zombies crowding closer and closer; the two of us shifting our gaze at Sarah.

'What about Charlie's flat here in the city?' Sarah suggested while she fired at zombies coming from our right side.

'Sarah, you're a genius. Follow me.' I said running to our left taking a shortcut through the alleys.

We ran as fast as lightning dodging debris and lifeless bodies. We fired at zombies here and there clearing our path. I felt the wind waving through my hair and over my skin as we ran. It felt cool, like an icy breath blowing against my skin causing goose bumps to rise from my skin.

After running what seemed like miles of squares we reached my flat. Our ammunition is very low and there is a big crowd of zombies standing in the street. We needed to get past them without wasting our ammunition.

'I've got a plan. The three of us can sense that we are infected, right?' I asked looking at Angela and Sarah.

'Yes, why?' Angela asked confused.

'I get what you're thinking mommy. I think it's a brilliant idea.' Sarah said looking at me surprised.

'Sarah, are you in my head again?' I asked her raising an eyebrow.

'Yes. Sorry mommy.' She answered smiling at me.

'Will the two of you please tell me what the idea is?' Angela asked even more confused.

'We have to act like zombies to get past them unnoticed. We don't have enough ammo' to take them all out.' I said taking a deep breath.

'Okay so how exactly do we do that?' Angela said looking over at the zombies.

'Is anyone up for a bit of role-play?' Sarah said grinning.

We watched the zombies carefully taking notes in our heads. They walked slowly either slouching or dragging their bodies while growling and humming with a rough voice. We looked at each other.

'Are you sure this will work baby?' Angela asked me with worry written all over her face.

'Yes, I'm sure it will. I did it before.' I answered her.

'Let's get going then.' Sarah said copying the zombies.

I took the lead with Angela and Sarah following close in my footsteps. We moved slowly and carefully through the zombies. The zombies weren't even looking our way. They were ignoring us as if we were part of their crowd. When we reached the entrance to my building i lifted the big steel door to let Angela and Sarah through. I slowly and softly let the door slide closed without attracting the zombie's attention.

'It worked. I can't believe it worked.' Angela said smiling.

'Of course it worked mom.' Sarah said hugging her mother.

'Let's get more ammunition so we can get out of this soon to be rubble pile.' I said walking up the stairs with Angela and Sarah behind me.

As we climbed the stairs in silence i started to get this feeling that something was off.

'It's too quiet in here. Something is wrong.' I said stopping in my tracks waving for Angela and Sarah to stop.

I listened carefully, i heard something growling and clambering up the stairs in one of the other apartments. I looked at Angela and Sarah who apparently heard it to. We edged closer and softly up the stairs toward the noise. It suddenly fell silent when we stood in front of the door to the apartment.

'Give me your ammo' and get up to my apartment then lock yourselves in. I will be there shortly.' I whispered to Angela and Sarah.

Just at that moment this huge ugly creature crashed through the closed door spreading splinters of wood everywhere.

'Go!' I shouted at them now.

Angela and Sarah turned and ran up the stairs hand in hand. I heard the door up stairs slide open then closed again. I stood there staring at this beast trying to make out what it is or was. It looked at me drooling long strings of slimy saliva to the floor. This beast is just the same height as me. It looks like some kind of mix between a wolf, bear and dragon. It has a smooth hairless dark coloured skin with some kind of slime oozing out of its pores and has teeth the size of my fingers. It has no eyes but was looking straight at me.

'I get it. You use your hearing to pick up vibrations, much like a sonar sense to see me.' I said to no-one in particular.

I moved slowly putting full ammo' clips in my machine guns while checking this beast out. It is following my every move. The beast charged at me without warning. I dodged a swiping of its claw by rolling to the left then kicked up at its mouth dislocating its jaw. The beast swiped at me again, furious because of the pain pulsating in its jaw. I dodged its claw summersaulting over the beasts head.

Out of nowhere its tail hit me against the wall. I dropped to my knees in pain then aimed my weapons at it and fired at the beasts head. The beast tried to dodge the bullets shooting from my guns but failed miserably.

It fell to the floor kicking its legs as the life faded from its body. I raised myself to my feet using the wall as a guide. I stood there watching this creature intently. It started burning and melting into a pool of sludge. What the hell was this creature? I have never seen such a thing in my whole life.

I climbed the stairs slowly using the railing to keep me from falling over. The pain i felt was so intense. Standing in front of my door trying to stay upright i knocked on the door. It slides open slowly.

I could only see two eyes peeking through. The door slide open then all i could see were four hands grabbing toward me.

Angela and Sarah carried Charlie to the couch gently laying her down on her back. Angela tore Charlie's shirt open and what she saw was one gaping slice over her abdomen.

'Sarah, look in the closet for the first aid kit! I saw one there the last time i was here.' Angela ordered Sarah in a panic.

Sarah rushed to the closet to see if she could find a first aid kit. Sarah pulled out a box with a cross on the front and carried it to Angela. Angela opened it looking through everything for bandages and something to clean the wound with. Sarah went to fetch a bowl of water and set it on the coffee table next to her kneeling mother. Angela cleaned the wound, stitched Charlie up then wrapped the bandage tightly around her waist.

When i woke up, i could smell food being prepared and hear could Angela and Sarah talking in the kitchen.

'Mom, do you think she will be alright?' Sarah asked Angela trying not to cry.

Before Angela could answer, i answered Sarah's question for her.

'I will be just fine.' I said sitting up with great difficulty.

Sarah and Angela rushed toward me and each sat on either side of me.

'How are you feeling baby?' Angela asked concerned.

'I feel great. I don't have any pain anymore. What happened?' I said putting an arm around each of my girls.

'You fainted when we opened the door. You have a huge slice on your abdomen. I did what i could but you do need a doctor.' Angela said putting her head on my shoulder.

'What was that creature mommy?' Sarah asked me.

'I have no idea but it was neither human nor animal. I have never seen such a beast in my life. After i killed it, it just melted into a pool of sludge.' I answered Sarah.

'Well, whatever it was there has to be more of it out there.' Angela said while standing up to check on the food.

'How long was i out cold?' I asked Sarah still sitting next to me.

'You were out for about two hours. We decided to stay here for a while until you are strong enough before we move on. Mom and i already packed a backpack full with ammunition. We also contacted the others on a two way radio on a secure line and said that we will catch up to them later. They left an ago.' Sarah said handing me another shirt she got out my cupboard earlier.

'Thank you my dear. At least i have the detonator for the explosives on me. Otherwise we would have been toast already. What is mom cooking?' I said slowly standing up to put the shirt on.

'Mom's cooking pasta. It's quick and easy to make.' Sarah said looking over at her mother.

Angela looked behind her at Sarah and Charlie. Watching Sarah and Charlie together, seeing them so happy with each other made Angela's heart jump for joy. Charlie stood up after taking a shirt from Sarah. She looked so stunning in her bra and pants. Angela could feel the heat radiating from her core as she admired Charlie's toned and perfectly sculpted body. The bandage around Charlie's waist just added a sense of determination to Charlie, which Angela admired greatly.

Angela watched as Charlie lifted her arms making every muscle almost pop out toward Angela. Angela gasped and smiled at Charlie. The sight of Charlie standing almost half naked made her knees weak. Angela imagined Charlie's strong but gentle hands roaming her body, slowly and tenderly while kissing her all over. Angela felt very disappointed when Charlie's shirt dropped covering her torso.

Feeling Angela's eyes on me i looked at her blushing. I could see what she was thinking written in her eyes.

'Mom, your making me blushes with what you're thinking at the moment.' Sarah suddenly said randomly not knowing where to hide her face.

'Sarah? Then what are you doing in my head?' Angela asked laughing at Sarah.

'I can't help it mom. It's still one thing i need to learn control over.' Sarah said hiding behind a pillow.

'Well then, this conversation is getting a bit too personal and heated, don't you think? Let's just rather finish up and work on a plan to get out of here.' I said walking over to the kitchen.

We ate in haste, a hurry to get out of the city and blow it to smithereens. After eating i went to my old room to pack a few of my things. I would never see this place ever again. I stood next to my vanity looking at a photograph of my mother and another of my father standing next to my stepmother with my brother and me in front. I grabbed the two photographs and shoved it in my backpack.

'Right girls, are you ready to leave?' I asked Angela and Sarah throwing the backpack over my shoulder.

'Yes baby, we are ready when you are.' Angela said grabbing the backpack with the ammunition in it.

'Charlie? I took the liberty of packing the papers of your work and some samples into a briefcase with your laptop. I figured you would want to work on something back home.' Sarah said raising the briefcase to prove her statement.

'Hum... yes, thank you Sarah. I haven't even thought of that.' I said walking over to her planting a kiss on her forehead.

We gathered whatever else we needed then left heading down the stairs to the lobby. Angela and Sarah stood ready with weapons while i headed for the steel door.

'Are you two ready to run?' I asked before lifting the door.

Angela and Sarah looked at each other then back at me each gathering a deep breath. I turned toward the door took a deep breath and lifted the door. I ignored the pain shooting through my whole body from my abdomen. Angela and Sarah walked carefully past me and waited for me while watching the hundreds of zombies standing around the street.

As i joined them the zombies all looked up at us. There seemed to be a moment of silence as if they were contemplating whether to attack us or not. One of them growled then they all started rushing toward us clawing, growling and snarling.

'I think we've been made girls. This would be a perfect time to... run!' I said as we started running toward the tunnel leading to the ocean.

Angela and Sarah were close on my heels following me with zombies close on our tails. We ran as fast as we could; the buildings, debris and half eaten rotting bodies passing us in a flash. Zombies came from our sides out of the buildings we have passed joining the growing crowd that were after us.

I saw a mob of zombies in front of us coming our way possibly to investigate the commotion. The zombies in this city seemed to travel faster and acted smarter than normal. I haven't even noticed until now.

With the zombies in front of us and behind us closing in on us i knew we had to take another route. I saw two buildings, maybe one foot from each other. We could get onto of the roof by jumping vice versa against the walls.